Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say my only real issue with Zizek (probably more than anything because of timing) is him having to couch what he is trying to say in Lacan or post-modern absurdism rather than just spit it out. He lets his actual views slip but it is always a game of him being "provocative" then walking it back into the safety of post-modernism.

I mean I get it, he wants to sell books and exist within the acceptable boundaries of Western media, but it would be great if he could spit it out.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 00:02 on Aug 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Brain Candy posted:

sure this is true to a degree but i find this to be the frustration of people not understanding there's no direct way to some of the more difficult understanding

and i don't mean in the sense of obscurantist bullshit, i mean you have to do it, this is why he tells stories, to engage and provoke, it's to grease the wheels but you have to get end yourself when we're talking about thinking about thinking. or to put it in the hands of a different master

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO0r930Sn_8

I don't have the problem with the jokes/stories it is when he pulls back from his implied conclusions that it gets annoying. I think a lot of it is just that post-modernism just like social democracy was a situational outcome.

That said, more recently he has been much more open in his views (sorry for the horrific title still):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWP312aHKSQ

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:54 on Aug 25, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

is pepsi ok posted:

Yeah this is the cycle Zizek always gets stuck in. In his academic works he gets accused of using complicated language to obscure the fact that he isn't really saying anything at all, because if you don't have at least a good foundation of Lacan and a basic understanding of Hegel and Marx you'll never make sense of of his work. So then when he makes public appearances he dumbs it down and uses jokes and pop culture to make it relatable, but then he gets accused of being an unserious clown who just wants to navel gaze about Transformer movies or whatever.

The issue is his politics, or rather he had to hide his politics. I would say an example is when he is talking ability the Haitian revolution, he is about to say the Polish starters to “fight for the right side” but he has to stop himself. I think it is changing but certainly it does color his conclusions.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:52 on Aug 25, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Brain Candy posted:

ask anwar al awlaki or his son or his daughter if hiding zizek hiding his politics was wise

Granted, isn't that the issue? My point isn't that his humor or stories are a problem in themselves or you should try to explain ideas in different ways to different audiences due to complexity, the issue is he is fearful for openly stating them first place. It is why I believe it is hopeful that he is being more open in his views because that fear is subsiding (for fairly concrete reasons).

It is why philosophy, political economy, geopolitics etc etc are all interrelated because power can push its way to reach the heart of any matter. It is now just that the West is losing its grip and every bump in Chinese GDP reframes the situation.

(To be fair, I don't think Zizek's actual ideas are post modern, but he has at times had to cloak his view in a form of faux discourse. Like when he was talking about Stalin, he started fairly open in his views and then had to retreat when he felt overextended. I get why he is doing it but is worth commenting on.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 00:42 on Aug 26, 2021