Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Brain Candy posted:

sure this is true to a degree but i find this to be the frustration of people not understanding there's no direct way to some of the more difficult understanding

and i don't mean in the sense of obscurantist bullshit, i mean you have to do it, this is why he tells stories, to engage and provoke, it's to grease the wheels but you have to get end yourself when we're talking about thinking about thinking. or to put it in the hands of a different master

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO0r930Sn_8

Yeah this is the cycle Zizek always gets stuck in. In his academic works he gets accused of using complicated language to obscure the fact that he isn't really saying anything at all, because if you don't have at least a good foundation of Lacan and a basic understanding of Hegel and Marx you'll never make sense of of his work. So then when he makes public appearances he dumbs it down and uses jokes and pop culture to make it relatable, but then he gets accused of being an unserious clown who just wants to navel gaze about Transformer movies or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Also he's explicitly a modernist. He's only a post-modernist in the stupid right wing use of the term as in "he talks about things using big words I don't understand".

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

net work error posted:

Who is a student that has surpassed him?

I don't know of any students I can point to, but the Lacanians like Todd McGowan and Joan Kopjec seem to be moving on without him.

Fwiw I still think his fundamental project of reading Hegel through Lacan is the correct one. In a way I see it as finishing the work that Marx started. Marx took Hegel's theory of history and the dialectic and gave them materialist reinterpretations, but he left it there since those were the only parts he saw as being useful for his project of proletarian revolution. Zizek is trying to give a materialist reinterpretation of the rest of Hegel in order to form a materialist ontology that doesn't reject idealism, but rather can incorporate it.

is pepsi ok has issued a correction as of 18:56 on Aug 26, 2021

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wylmch3crjI

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Hodgepodge posted:

i haven't actually done the part where i read actual books by the trash panda, what three or so books would people recommend to start with? and to be clear, i will be pirating this poo poo, but tend to be low effort about that.

Pervert's Guide to Cinema and Pervert's Guide to Ideology are both really good and accessible introductions.

If you specifically want books then Welcome to the Desert of the Real and How to Read Lacan are good starting points.

The important theoretical books are Sublime Object of Ideology and Less Than Nothing but those are going to be difficult to read without a foundation in Lacan.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

The Ziz posted:

I think the true class struggle in horror literature is vampires versus zombies. That’s why I shocked my friend, who played in "Harry Potter" movies - I hope you saw the last one, where the 'bad guys' attack that stupid school and so on... that Hogwarts, whatever.

And I said it's the wrong end of the movie! The bad guy without nose, played by Ralph Fiennes, this is the working-class rebellion. They should kill them all, my god. I would turn around the movie.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Yadoppsi posted:

Twitter's search is terrible. Anyone have that meme of him staring rapturously at Zizek demolishing his arguments with "Ladies, find yourself a man that looks at you like Peterson looks at Zizek" ?

I know what you mean but I can't find it. There was one point where Peterson literally started dropping his knee to the floor while looking up at Zizek.

I did find this though.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Every truly wise man throughout human history has followed the ethos of :justpost:

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

From this article: https://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/wwe-clip-showing-how-wrestlers-actually-fight-is-ruining-childhoods-20220405

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

That's probably gonna be the hardest book to just pick up and read. There's a guy on YouTube that does a video companion series for it but he's hard to follow too. I thought the first video in the series was worth watching though since it does a pretty good job laying out what the book is about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66xf_j3_9vI