Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
agree?
who asked for this?
they're way too small to be convenient. hard to eject from poo poo, easily misplaced. SD cards might be a bit too big, sure, but how about a medium sized SD card (medSD?).

please keep all discussion on SD cards itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I got a micro D you can S right here pally

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

in another universe these caught on

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Did you know they made regular sized versions too?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I realize now I posted a multimediacard but they are closely related to the sd card and therefore relevant

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Silver Alicorn posted:

I realize now I posted a multimediacard but they are closely related to the sd card and therefore relevant

I am going to allow this.

mobby_6kl posted:

Did you know they made regular sized versions too?

these I am comfortable with using. however, most stuff require the puny microSD ones (oof).

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Ansible Adams posted:

I got a micro D you can S right here pally

what the ****

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
won't use one until they release 5.25" card

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

physical storage is gauche

i just use remote cloud storage with 28 layers of abstraction and a mere 30,000,000 times more latency

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
who are we to say what is too small or too large? maybe some introspection is in order op

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Gentle Autist posted:

physical storage is gauche

i just use remote cloud storage with 28 layers of abstraction and a mere 30,000,000 times more latency

does the cloud let you store your entire anime collection up your butt? no it will not

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
compact flash anyone?

basically an ide drive? finally

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
I think it would be cool if they would grow and srhink, based on how much data was being stored, op

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

suffix posted:

does the cloud let you store your entire anime collection up your butt? no it will not

just grab the anime storage package from npm

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

scifi always thought we'd get these things so cheap that people would just throw em around everywhere to give data to other people

instead we gotta fumble around slowly uploading that poo poo to google and then sending the share link in a message and then getting told it's saying access denied so hold on gotta share the whole folder, did you get the invite email, cmon man i can't make it visible to the whole internet, ok fine tell me when you download it and i'll make it private again

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
sony memory sticks were the perfect form factor for flash memory imo

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
they did make it, mini sd cards.

predictably they sucked

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

what happened to that samsung? tech where you could bump two phones together and transfer a file

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

what happened to that samsung? tech where you could bump two phones together and transfer a file

they probably exploded on impact during testing

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

I don't know if Samsung had their own implementation but google killed that Android feature

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

bumpin uglies lol

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

rotor posted:

sony memory sticks were the perfect form factor for flash memory imo

sony nailed batteries at the time too

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

my mine was blown when i first saw a microsd card. how can they fit all those bits in there???

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

my stepdads beer posted:

that reminds me of these

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

I don't know if Samsung had their own implementation but google killed that Android feature

I just realized it's basically AirDrop. truly the future is here

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

one glorious day, ssd form factor will shrink to the size of a 3 1/4” floppy disk, and the cycle will finally be complete

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Crazy Achmed posted:

one glorious day, ssd form factor will shrink to the size of a 3 1/4” floppy disk, and the cycle will finally be complete

they're already much smaller than this though op

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

echinopsis posted:

compact flash anyone?

basically an ide drive? finally

modern cf cards are on pcie and new ones can do up to 4gbps lol

Crazy Achmed posted:

i feel like samsung isn’t far off

about one millimetre thicker

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Phobeste posted:

they're already much smaller than this though op

less portable tho

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

pointsofdata posted:

my mine was blown when i first saw a microsd card. how can they fit all those bits in there???

very carefully

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

had to mess around with a microSD card again today

terrible experience

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i just have my pockets stuffed full of loose nvme ssds

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

my stepdads beer posted:

wanna chew the forbidden juicy fruit

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Crazy Achmed posted:

uhh lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Crazy Achmed posted:

if only there was a way to make ssds small

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

carry on then posted:

scifi always thought we'd get these things so cheap that people would just throw em around everywhere to give data to other people

instead we gotta fumble around slowly uploading that poo poo to google and then sending the share link in a message and then getting told it's saying access denied so hold on gotta share the whole folder, did you get the invite email, cmon man i can't make it visible to the whole internet, ok fine tell me when you download it and i'll make it private again

it’s a million times easier to just use BitTorrent to send someone under the age of 38 a large file.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

carry on then posted:

you can buy 1gb thumb drives for like $2 each, but that's about the price floor. If you go down to 128mb it's still like $1.80 or so.

It does seem like you should be able to buy a bunch of 128mb thumb drives for like a quarter each but i guess thats not ram pricing works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i wanted to pass out a bunch of my DJ mixes to coworkers for the christmas party and went to microcenter up at the checkout drawer thing full of all the thumb drives and said LOAD ME UP, CHEAPEST ONES YOU GOT

1 gig drives were like $2.79 and 8 gig drives were $3 so i just got those lol