Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I feel like every time I ever have played offensive it just, uh, screws me over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

lookit this novice spending soccerbux on soap when he could be sitting on a giant hoard of cash to buy free agents with when making a championship push, tsk tsk

Well I like my Beans roasted with some non dairy milk and a little bit of caramel flavor to hide the terrible taste of coffee. Just like the game that we just played where River City watered down those Beans.

:11tea: > :coffee:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Multiple times now I've had Pressure just turn itself off in a game. Thankfully this time it didn't cost me like it did last. Time to chill for my bye, which is somehow timed when my form is fine and I have nothing really good to do with it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

So close. Even being just 17/4 that could've worked. Still, estimated value of ~a mil, but with my team looking at a potential promotion to SG its probably not a good time to start developing a new kid that is going to just be an anchor for a few seasons.

e; This guy has been bid up to 1.5m with days left to go somehow. I'll take it? Was starting to run a little low after needing to pick up a few vets in the off season and spending more on training after terrible form all last season.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 23, 2021

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

I accidentally bought a forward 17/5 with no SQs. I bid and then thought I probably shouldn't and hoped someone else would bid, but alas. Hopefully I will get him to get a skill change and sell him for later.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Tiger Crazy posted:

Well I like my Beans roasted with some non dairy milk and a little bit of caramel flavor to hide the terrible taste of coffee. Just like the game that we just played where River City watered down those Beans.

:11tea: > :coffee:

yeah that's gonna happen a bit now that I sold my highest-skilled-with-no-SQs goalkeeper to try and work up a couple of wunderkinds

the 2M soccerbux will ease the pain

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Man, that loss against Walamor really stung, my team's form cratered after that. Looking a bit shaky now for my promotion chances if I can't salvage something against a Unicorn Power doubleheader with my team falling apart!

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Shadowlz posted:

This was a dirty filthy lie.

Whoops!
imgur link

At the start of the season:
Most improved team: FC Rimmers

Most value gained: Carnival Flayers

Most valuable team: Carnival Flayers

Current stats as of today (pre-match):

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
To explain that difference in my current value and the value at the start of the season I had some 4 skilled 32yr old who I couldn't sell at the time due to a small squad and he was valued at something ridiculous in the 6 million range. I'm guessing because a similar player had been used to fraudentially transfer Econ between teams and because no one else could ever sell such a useless player the average value ballooned.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

So close. Even being just 17/4 that could've worked. Still, estimated value of ~a mil, but with my team looking at a potential promotion to SG its probably not a good time to start developing a new kid that is going to just be an anchor for a few seasons.

e; This guy has been bid up to 1.5m with days left to go somehow. I'll take it? Was starting to run a little low after needing to pick up a few vets in the off season and spending more on training after terrible form all last season.

Up to almost 3m with 2 days left. That fixes my financial issues after all the trouble I got into with bad form and a few retirements last season. A shame I'm trying to pivot into a winning team in the next season or so and that its a bit late to go back for someone that is going to be great after being dog poo poo for 2-3 seasons.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

Nephzinho posted:

Up to almost 3m with 2 days left. That fixes my financial issues after all the trouble I got into with bad form and a few retirements last season. A shame I'm trying to pivot into a winning team in the next season or so and that its a bit late to go back for someone that is going to be great after being dog poo poo for 2-3 seasons.
drat, I had no idea a 17/3 could be worth that much regardless of SQs. Congrats!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Spyde posted:

drat, I had no idea a 17/3 could be worth that much regardless of SQs. Congrats!

Yeah I was expecting maybe a mil, 17/4 I would've sucked it up and kept him while delaying my plans for 2-3 seasons, 17/5 and he's a franchise.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
I have the worst luck in this game. My 5-star academy just gave me this guy:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Uzh, allow me to offer my apologies for parking the bus as hard as humanly possible. I promise I will attempt to win at some greater amount than last game for our Thursday clash now that my training spam will finish so I have some semblance of form!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

love seeing that low average age

couple more seasons of growth and a few vets that I can blow my giant wad of econ on and it should be fun times for the Coffee Beans!

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

For those who have VIP, I just enabled player name changes, so if you want to rename your whole squad like ye olde Langley Spooks then have at it!

Also I was getting sick of the division 1/2/3 names, if anyone has any better ideas then post 'em here!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Premier Taupe
Major League Stairs
La Soapa

e; 6 hours to go and that kid is over 4m. For that kind of money I can just buy a 17/5 with a single useful SQ -- what kind of team has the money to drop this much on a 17/3 that values SQs, no matter how good, over 2 whole bars behind the curve you look for in youth??

e2; Godspeed you brave idiot, lol if you don't get a double jump. That is enough money to fix a lot of my problems. I hope whoever takes him just does 500k win bonus + sets him as playmaker for the rest of their season.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 26, 2021

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

How did my fuckin Goalie get enough yellow cards to be in danger?

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
As promised, the exciting rebound against Unicorn Power had 400% more chances!

nobody scored

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

Serious answer: hand ball outside of the box, maybe?

Unserious answer: "this is why you don't throw the ball directly into the face of an opponent, Bob"

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

Elendil004 posted:

Your Goalie was challenging opposition strikers to a duel with his gloves.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Got a recommend player 4 out of the last 5 days. What the gently caress, game?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
No word of a lie logged in today to yet another recommend player mail. Baffling.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

There's one game left in the month, RIP my chances of getting Team of the Month.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Nephzinho posted:

There's one game left in the month, RIP my chances of getting Team of the Month.

I think you'll still win it unless you make a mistake on your tactics today, but lol yeah it's a close one this month

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

bees everywhere posted:

I think you'll still win it unless you make a mistake on your tactics today, but lol yeah it's a close one this month

You're playing the worst team in Serie Goon while I'm playing the best team in Divison A, I'll be shocked if you don't take the top spot.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Ughhhh I thought my team was going to push upwards, but I guess now I'm just going to have to avoid relegation instead after my second loss to Walamor. GG. I didn't think that worst performing defense would sub out my captain, but... that probably screwed me over. Guess I'm plopping a full 500k next time I face you, Walamor, because I'm really gonna want that win.

Maybe just one more season in the cooker to hit 25 consistently instead of 24 and change, and they might be good enough to still be viable for the top in their prime? I may need to buy a better forward though, cause right now it's pretty bad.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 31, 2021

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Don't blow money on win bonuses (bar the standard 50k) spunk it all on training instead. I pretty much blow my entire 1.2 mil every week on training and it does enough for those weaker players to make it worth it. I don't think I'd be able to buy a better squad or win more games by spending it on win bonuses instead.

Edit: Also first convincing win of my time in Serie Goon, bad luck Masonity! Although I think you beat yourself there more than anything else, all my similar heavy defeats have come from trying to do too much away from home.

Flayer fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 31, 2021

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Flayer posted:

Don't blow money on win bonuses (bar the standard 50k) spunk it all on training instead. I pretty much blow my entire 1.2 mil every week on training and it does enough for those weaker players to make it worth it. I don't think I'd be able to buy a better squad or win more games by spending it on win bonuses instead

Think it really depends on your squad. Training older vets whose value is less than training sessions is a waste. Win bonus boosts the whole team and can help you preserve already good form. So yeah, I guess if you have bad form, train, if you have good form, pay.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Oh don't worry, I spend my money on training. My team's form is pretty good despite not winning in 4 games, except for my forwards which are stuck in the impossible cycle despite a lot of training. At some point I do actually have to win the games though, hah.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 31, 2021

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

Well just a I destroyed divine coffee at home he does the same back to me at home. So frustrating I get a 4 star manager rating and lose 3-0 with 1 chance. Now I am in danger of missing out on promotion with Slord FC moving into that slot.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

For win bonuses, when I'm trying to save money I usually do 50k for home games and 150k for away games, but I'll double or sometimes triple that when I'm hoping to win against a relatively evenly-matched opponent (so basically every Serie Goon match) and I have the cash to spare.

I think of it like form training helps point the arrow in the right direction, then the rest depends on match performance, which is mostly is out of your control and is always a roll of the dice, but the win bonus along with your other tactics can give you a better chance of a form increase. It's a fine line to walk and one of the trickiest parts of this game, trying to get the most out of your limited budget while dealing with all the random crap the game throws at you.

My form has been snowballing this season and after the last 2 games in particular. Ivan Norberg and Ebbe Emriksson are struggling but the rest of the team is doing well and it's translating to wins, but that has had the unfortunate result of actually requiring me to pay out those win bonuses. Last season I really struggled with form and it resulted in a 3rd place finish, but by not having to pay out so many win bonuses last season, it also kind of set me up for success this time around.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Tiger Crazy posted:

Well just a I destroyed divine coffee at home he does the same back to me at home. So frustrating I get a 4 star manager rating and lose 3-0 with 1 chance. Now I am in danger of missing out on promotion with Slord FC moving into that slot.

not gonna lie, I definitely made sure to maximize my chances and boosted up my usual win bonus for that game, as revenge for the drubbing we got at home.

Honestly sort of shocked, though, I was playing for the draw. Tilted my emphasis to the backfield, planned for long range shots... I mean, it wasn't quite a parking of the bus, but as close as I could manage while maintaining some self-respect. Instead the game went "nah, screw it, let's just have you score a bunch too. And give a couple more yellow cards for your guys 'cause you don't have enough of those."

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Nephzinho posted:

Think it really depends on your squad. Training older vets whose value is less than training sessions is a waste. Win bonus boosts the whole team and can help you preserve already good form. So yeah, I guess if you have bad form, train, if you have good form, pay.
Agreed about the older players but that might change when the current crop of youngsters everyone is bringing up mature and the old players are better than any of the ringers you can reasonably buy on the market. On the flipside most teams will be bringing through less youngsters that need constant training so it probably balances out.

As for the win bonus getting wins and therefor form, that doesn't always play out for me. Players getting down arrows after wins happens all the time. I mean I just won 4-0 and 5 players came out of that with down arrows. Losing certainly does seem a bit worse for form but I'm definitely in the camp where I'd rather spend cash on training than win bonus to increase form.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Flayer posted:

Agreed about the older players but that might change when the current crop of youngsters everyone is bringing up mature and the old players are better than any of the ringers you can reasonably buy on the market. On the flipside most teams will be bringing through less youngsters that need constant training so it probably balances out.

As for the win bonus getting wins and therefor form, that doesn't always play out for me. Players getting down arrows after wins happens all the time. I mean I just won 4-0 and 5 players came out of that with down arrows. Losing certainly does seem a bit worse for form but I'm definitely in the camp where I'd rather spend cash on training than win bonus to increase form.

The worst thing to happen to my team last season was a 6-1 win. There must be an overkill mechanic that kills your form compared to those 2-1 or whatever close wins where your entire team rockets.

saber45
Nov 10, 2004

Registered and clicked the league link but there doesnt seem to be any open spaces at the mo?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

saber45 posted:

Registered and clicked the league link but there doesnt seem to be any open spaces at the mo?
If you want a new team you'll have to wait until the start of next season unfortunately. There are a couple of teams inactive in the last division though so I'm sure one could be made available to you so stick around.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I find win bonuses to generally be better bang for my buck than form training but it definitely depends on how lucky you get with form tanking and if you have hard trainers etc.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Nephzinho posted:

The worst thing to happen to my team last season was a 6-1 win. There must be an overkill mechanic that kills your form compared to those 2-1 or whatever close wins where your entire team rockets.

I think what causes this is that when a player gets a chance on goal but misses, their form actually drops. The max number of goals a team can score in a game seems to be 6, so once you reach 6 goals, any further scoring chances count negatively towards form. I'm not entirely sure if that's how it works but that's what it seems to be, and it would explain why my forward lost form after scoring a winning goal, since he also missed several chances in the same game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

Well I once again have underestimated my opponents and tried to play for DV (heres hoping my F 17/5 double jumps). Things in the Toxic waste dump have become tight going into the last game of the season. Coffee Beans made the same mistake I did and underestimated ten Bux Legacy and lost. The Coffee Beans have pretty much wrapped it up with the goal difference they can't be caught so comes down to Slord and River City. Slord has it a bit tougher since they face Coffee Beans in the last game while I face Q to 12 who hasn't won a game yet this season.

If anyone is looking to take over a team ten Bux Legacy seems to have a good team to build on.