Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Fallout 4 is a first person shooter released in 2015 and is considered the black sheep of the series (before 76 that is). The RPG elements were drastically pulled back, the protagonist is voiced and with it they reworked the dialogue tree to be required to have 4 response options that often just had the same result in the end anyway. Oh and you had a son. Also the settlement system allegedly had Bethesda not bother with making towns and instead leaving it to the player to make them.

Personally I had fun with it. Yeah the story sucks and gutting the dialogue is bad. But the gun play is better which is good, even in 3 and NV you were shooting a lot. The weapon and armor upgrade system is great and, with the settlement building system, makes all the clutter in places worthwhile to grab. I liked the voiced protag and that dialogue are scenes rather than staring at whoever you're talking to. As for the lack of cities... eh, when I look back at the other Fallout and Elder Scrolls games I spent as little time as possible in cities.

So whats this LP about?

I want to show off the Sim Settlements 2 mod. Besides the stuff it adds for settlement making it also has its own series of quests with new npcs and voice acting. I'll also show off a few of the DLC, I don't believe other LPs have shown those off.

Sim Settlements 2?

Originally this mod was something used to help make settlement building better. Instead of placing down every wall, furniture and piece of decoration you can plop down plots that your settlers will work on building themselves. Now its practically an expansion in itself with its own quests and characters who are decently, if not well, voice acted.

Spoilers?

Go ahead and talk about the base game story, but please keep anything related to SS2 and the DLCs in tags.

Videos

Getting Started

Farming and industry

A Partnership

Don't Feed the Bears

Sewers and Bandits

Leal fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Codsworth knows a lot of names! I'm partial to Fuckface, myself.

I've always had a soft spot for Fallout 4 and this mod seems like a pretty cool addition to the base game. I'm also particularly impressed by the voice acting so far.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I am very interested to see Sim Settlements 2, the settlements were always the best part of FO4.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Sim settlements is an excellent mod, practically required if you like doing settlement stuff.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

oldskool posted:

I'm also particularly impressed by the voice acting so far.

Yeah the voice actor of the Stranger is *really good*, I'm impressed seeing what can come with a mod.

NewMars posted:

Sim settlements is an excellent mod, practically required if you like doing settlement stuff.

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I am very interested to see Sim Settlements 2, the settlements were always the best part of FO4.

The Sim Settlements mods really do make the settlement building better. Being able to set plots and let the game fill in the space is great without dealing with the tedium of making sure you hand place every couch and beer bottle. I admit I'm not that creative but I'll try my best. It'll happen next video, whenever I do a bunch of building I'll have it at the end of the video sped up so you can see what I do.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It's me I'm the Fallout fan and I'm just here to say that the only objectively bad thing about F4 is how it turned out to be the prototype for the actual only black sheep: F76.

While I personally wait for F4NV to come out before I get this game because the better engine and settlement building layer are not interesting to me plenty of people enjoy this game every day for what it is: an RPG-light action game.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

By popular demand posted:

It's me I'm the Fallout fan and I'm just here to say that the only objectively bad thing about F4 is how it turned out to be the prototype for the actual only black sheep: F76.

While I personally wait for F4NV to come out before I get this game because the better engine and settlement building layer are not interesting to me plenty of people enjoy this game every day for what it is: an RPG-light action game.

Yeah, plenty of people enjoy drinking aged urine as well

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I like F4 well enough, but I'm a storygamer, and there's honestly not really a lot in this game for me- with the exception of the DLC Nuka-World. I won't go into too much detail, but I think that DLC should have been the basis of FO4, instead of Boston.

That said, I admit this game is the first time I was ever inspired to install a waifu mod and its dependencies, so there's that :shobon:

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
I like Fallout 4 a bit more than normal for Fallout fans, but am very disappointed with most of the plot and writing. There are good or interesting bits in there and a number of endearing characters, but you have to hunt for them or grab the larger DLCs because no version of the main story is going to actually take you there. The gameplay can be pretty fun though when you're not off on one of the infinite procedurally generated faction quests.

...anyway, Sim Settlements 2 is a good mod. Fallout 4 is helped by good mods.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

This game is terrible but something keeps pulling me towards it and even an update that stopped it working with the video card I have - despite it being a fairly recent and decent card - I still want to go back to it and fiddle with various mods. I've never played it to the end, I never really followed the various paths to their end, never got to do the final DLC.

I'm certain manpower was diverted from this game to 76, causing a handful of neat things being cut.

But I'm glad to see you play it, I look forward to seeing what you have to show.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
I enjoyed FO4 by playing a hardcore mode melee character and ignoring the plot as much as I could. I find the game much more fun as a wasteland empire builder than as a fallout game. There is a staggering number of missed opportunities and bad decisions baked into this game, though.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
SS2 is a very very good mod.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
As much as I think New Vegas is the best Fallout game, I confess 4 is still the one I've played the most. The main story is loving stupid and pisses me off, but the wasteland murder hobo gameplay is fun, and I'm actually one of those weirdos who found the settlement building thing engaging even in its vanilla piece of poo poo state (but only so far, I would not use it unmodded any more.)

Leal posted:

Yeah the voice actor of the Stranger is *really good*, I'm impressed seeing what can come with a mod.
Not only is the guy a very competent VA, I'm also very surprised by the recording quality. All too often the problem with mod-added voices is not (only) the VAs, but that the recording quality is poo poo so their lines are all static-y or sound like they're talking into a bucket. This guy's voice just doesn't stick out from vanilla at all. Really good work.

Also, this LP is gonna make me reinstall the game and lose two days getting my mod colletion sorted out again, isn't it.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

By the way Leal, which mods are you running, apart from the obvious Sim Settlements?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

inscrutable horse posted:

By the way Leal, which mods are you running, apart from the obvious Sim Settlements?

Not too many game altering mods that I'm running here, mostly stuff that improves graphics and crafting. E: And settlements :v:

Leal fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 16, 2021

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Thank you, Leal!

I recently got a new PC and started playing FO4 with mods, so this list is going to be a handy reference.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Oh btw, since you complained about generators being noisy: There is, unsurprisingly, a mod for that too.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2819

Works as advertised, never caused any problems for me.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Pffft, what a lightweight weakling who won't overstuff the load order like god intended!

I approve of the dog petting mod.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Pffft, what a lightweight weakling who won't overstuff the load order like god intended!

I approve of the dog petting mod.

Be glad I didn't run with the mod that turns everyone into an anime girl.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Leal posted:

Be glad I didn't run with the mod that turns everyone into an anime girl.
each day we stray farther from god

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

theshim posted:

each day we stray farther from god

but thanks to the "have dogmeat and another companion at the same time" mod, we no longer have to stray farther from dog

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Never cared for the settlements myself, and now that I finally have it on a PC that can run it, all I did was add a bunch of guns. I'm a sucker for boring loop of shoot, loot, sell, upgrade, repeat :shrug:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

I'm a sucker for boring loop of shoot, loot, sell, upgrade, repeat :shrug:

Same, and I think they really made this better with the crafting system. You aren't just grabbing stuff for caps, but now you're keeping an eye out for stuff that can break down into components that you can use to upgrade your equipment. Its a good way to reward you with exploring without just giving you a piece of equipment that you'll just sell. That glow sighted pipe rifle can get you some valuable screws!

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I really disliked the weapon and armor design if FO4. Just a massive downgrade from New Vegas. Game itself was... fine. But I never finished it.

fucking love Fiona Apple fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 20, 2021

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Just a quick note in case anyone in interested, F4 and the DLC is on sale on steam. Base game for $8 and $5.25 for the DLC packs in a season pass. Pretty good deal

Personally, I liked the potential of this game's story more than what we got. Like a lot of Bethesda games, it really isn't that great until you put mods in. Looking forward to this run.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Buy this game so Todd Howard will remember there are properties besides Skyrim that is getting both its 10th rerelease and 10th anniversary release.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

While we wait an update here's a tangential thing to tickle the fancy of olds such as me:

LGR demonstrates an amber monochrome 5 1/2 inch in case monitor (skip if you just want some images):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBtETkJeqmY

God I so want to play F1 like this, is there like a crt overlay simulator I can use?

Not sure about FNV though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

While we wait an update here's a tangential thing to tickle the fancy of olds such as me:

LGR demonstrates an amber monochrome 5 1/2 inch in case monitor (skip if you just want some images):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBtETkJeqmY

God I so want to play F1 like this, is there like a crt overlay simulator I can use?

Not sure about FNV though.

You can mimic this with the highly immersive "Immersive Shades" mod.

Without shades

Wearing shades :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Farming and industry

Today we get a little more use out the ASAM plots. Also our stranger friend is some kind of magician.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Since I'm a poor PS4 player and am now banned from playing any future Fallout games since Todd himself is Microsoft property, it's kinda sad this is the last Fallout game I'll play unless I get a Gaming PC.

This mod set seems pretty neat though and that's coming from someone who enjoyed building ramshackle settlements.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
For anyone that's looking to pick this up and lose themselves in the settlement building sub-game, there are two mods I'd recommend (Though I lost the names, I'll see if I can find them again).

The first one lets you scrap Everything at a settlement. All the weeds, brush, prefab homes, abandoned cars and randomly strewn about other junk, can now be scrapped. Completely opens up the area for building/crafting. You get a little bit of random scrap as well, usually a little wood or plant matter, but sometimes you get some useful metal and bits.

Second, and Leal might be running a variation, but there are probably hundreds of mods by now that will turn off the settlement size limit. So now you're not limited to a paltry 100-200 "objects" per location, the sky is literally the limit. Works really well with the above mod

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

A Partnership

Today we learn a little more about our stranger friend. Also I'm an amazing hostage negotiator.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

CzarChasm posted:

The first one lets you scrap Everything at a settlement. All the weeds, brush, prefab homes, abandoned cars and randomly strewn about other junk, can now be scrapped. Completely opens up the area for building/crafting. You get a little bit of random scrap as well, usually a little wood or plant matter, but sometimes you get some useful metal and bits.

It is, imaginatively, called "Scrap Everything". There was some other one too but this is the more recently updated one by far. It's one of those mods I will absolutely refuse to play without (even if it results in me spending lots of time obsessively scrapping every little piece of trash).

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Hey leal, the next chapter of the mod is coming out sometime in (northern hemisphere) fall this year!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Siegkrow posted:

Hey leal, the next chapter of the mod is coming out sometime in (northern hemisphere) fall this year!

I'm praying it wont require a brand new save :shepface:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Leal posted:

I'm praying it wont require a brand new save :shepface:

I mean, decided to purge my hellsave and play a clean+this mod once the next episode is out because I noticed I just don't advance past Boston with too many mods because there are too many crashes lol

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I dearly wish they had let you do settlement building stuff from an above camera, it would make walls and such way easier to deal with.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DreadUnknown posted:

I dearly wish they had let you do settlement building stuff from an above camera, it would make walls and such way easier to deal with.

Yeah, the best option is to build something tall and climb it then build from there. But of course if you want to move you gotta build your look out point again.

Don't Feed the Bears

Today we head on over to the West Everette Estates to see about getting some more ASAMs. Sorry for the delay, I tend to get into this circle of commentary not good enough > its taken so long to get an update out so the commentary needs to get better > it isn't > holy poo poo its been a month. Working on getting myself out of that mindset

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sewers and Bandits

Today we make some more headway into restoring that commhub. Kinda.

And hey as an aside, you can get the game plus all its expansions for 13.19 on steam during the sale!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Thanks to you I now have k9 tactical harnesses and I love this mod.