Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Getting pretty sick of places jacking their prices up. I just ordered a pizza. 4 months ago, it was $18. Today? $25. Last week we got some Pho, the price was about 30% higher there, too.

It's getting ridiculous. I get trying to make up for lost revenue but you are going to start losing business by raising prices so drastically. Both places we've decided to say F it and find some other place to spend our $. A medium pizza shouldn't be $25 and a spring roll shouldn't be $8.50.

Grumble grumble. gently caress capitalism. gently caress america. Burn it to the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Waltzing Along posted:

Burn it to the ground.

That's already happening.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Make your own pizza you lazy slob.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
My friend owns a car dealership and said he literally has 4 cars on his lot (when he usually has 300) and he said people literally get into bidding wars to buy cars now lol.

It's gonna be like when that hard drive factory got flooded and hard drives doubled in price, and then the hard drive manufacturers were "wait, we can charge these prices and people will still buy them?" and the prices never went down again.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Sorry that inflation is hurting your ability to order food OP

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
the food at the grocery store is more expensive too

hmm... maybe related to why pizza is more expensive? who knows.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

the american restaurant operation model was never sustainable. they operate on a 3-5% profit margin. food prices are going up, the cost of doing business is higher in practically every way, and they have to pay employees more in order to keep them. and on to that the risk of endangering the health of their employees by exposing them to the public who may or may not throw a fit if asked to wear a mask and uhhhhh

stop whining, is what I'm saying

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
The Korean chicken place across the street from me closed suddenly and I'm very saddened

They were supposed to open sometime in early 2020 but I think the pandemic really screwed with their timeline and now with rising food costs I'm sort of wondering if that tipped them over the edge

It's too bad because I really liked their food

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i started making my own pizza and also booze. gently caress prices

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Rutibex posted:

i started making my own pizza and also booze. gently caress prices

I'm pretty sure if I knew how to make my own booze, I would have less than 18 months to live.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The food places got pushed to pay their employees a "livable" wage and also to compete with other jobs that are not total poo poo. So now they are jacking up the prices of the food also.

Also cost of everything is more expensive OP. Your Dominos isn't going to just stay the same price.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I'm pretty sure if I knew how to make my own booze, I would have less than 18 months to live.

Just throw some yeast in some sugary liquid and wait. If you want it stronger you just distill it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Won't someone please think of the poor multibillion dollar corporations!

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Just throw some yeast in some sugary liquid and wait. If you want it stronger you just distill it.

No! Don't!

edit: Seriously, every time I've had access to unlimited amounts of pure grain alcohol, I've ended up blacking out for at least a month. If there's booze present, I MUST drink it until it's all gone, I'm loving nuts. So no brewing or distilling for me, even though they appeal to me and fascinate me in an autistic way.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 15, 2021

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
OP the sort of motherfucker to go "too pricey! I know, I'll take it out of the tip!"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

syntaxfunction posted:

OP the sort of motherfucker to go "too pricey! I know, I'll take it out of the tip!"

Nope. It's not the employees fault the owner of the pizza place jacked the prices up so much.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

Nope. It's not the employees fault the owner of the pizza place jacked the prices up so much.

It may not be anybody's "fault"

It's your fault if you buy something not worth to you what you paid for it, though

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Fat dumb American annoyed at not being quite as privileged as before, news at 11.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 14 days!)

it seems to me like americans legitimately order food 4+ times a week with the way people talk about it. spending $30 dollars ordering some BS for yourself on a weeknight. can't you just go to the supermarket and get a few days of dinner for the same amount? get a pack of burgers or something, you don't even need to 'cook'.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Have you considered becoming a breatharian?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I understand the supply chain interruptions, but what the gently caress is up with coins? Where did the god damned coins go? Everyone I know has coins, like me, they usually just throw em in a bin at home, then go to the bank and put them in the coin thing that deposits them to your account. Or a CoinStar machine and get their coins in cash, minus 11%. Why the gently caress are gas stations putting up signs on their doors, "WE WILL GIVE YOU CASH FOR COINS." The bank my work uses will only allow one roll of coins a day.

Is someone, somewhere hoarding rear end pennies nickels dimes and quarters?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

roomtone posted:

it seems to me like americans legitimately order food 4+ times a week with the way people talk about it. spending $30 dollars ordering some BS for yourself on a weeknight. can't you just go to the supermarket and get a few days of dinner for the same amount? get a pack of burgers or something, you don't even need to 'cook'.

The delta strain is out there.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Chief McHeath posted:

I understand the supply chain interruptions, but what the gently caress is up with coins? Where did the god damned coins go? Everyone I know has coins, like me, they usually just throw em in a bin at home, then go to the bank and put them in the coin thing that deposits them to your account. Or a CoinStar machine and get their coins in cash, minus 11%. Why the gently caress are gas stations putting up signs on their doors, "WE WILL GIVE YOU CASH FOR COINS." The bank my work uses will only allow one roll of coins a day.

The majority of people are smart enough to be staying home these last couple years and not buying things in person, or using contactless payment forms when they have to, so there just literally aren't enough people spending money for businesses to be getting coins lol

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Chief McHeath posted:

Coins are loving stupid and we should get rid of them anyway. It made more sense to carry them when you could actually buy something with change but at this point nobody does anything with them other than put them in a jar or throw them on the group. gently caress coins.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
I've got a fuckload of student loan and mortgage debt, bring on the inflation baby!!!

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

mostly just eatin beans these days. a big can is 74 cents. enough there for 2 meals of beans. aint much else around here to eat. had a sack of oats but the weevils got to it

if you're feelin fancy you could get some crackers to soak up the bean juice. this is america do what you want.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Tom Gorman posted:

mostly just eatin beans these days. a big can is 74 cents. enough there for 2 meals of beans. aint much else around here to eat. had a sack of oats but the weevils got to it

if you're feelin fancy you could get some crackers to soak up the bean juice. this is america do what you want.

They're a magical fruit, I'm sure you could do some sort of bean seance and have a great experience.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Whooping Crabs posted:

I've got a fuckload of student loan and mortgage debt, bring on the inflation baby!!!

:same:
except for the mortgage part but if i play my cards right maybe i can squat in a desolate suburb during the next extinction event

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

I purchased a chair from Steelcase in May of last year for like $990CAD. A coworker asked me which chair I bought a couple months ago and I told him without checking the price on the website. It's now over $2000USD. Made me look like some kind of chair bourgeois.

I don't get what caused the price increase though. Maybe there's a shortage of little wheels.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Weka posted:

Fat dumb American annoyed at not being quite as privileged as before, news at 11.

Americans are so entitled. All this whining about "Why do I have to work three jobs just to afford a lovely apartment?" or "My child died because I had to ration his insulin.". Fat loving babies.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I've gpne from charging $0.08 cents an hour for hosed up dirty phone sex to $0.16. It's a golden age, OP. DEAL WIT IT

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
There are several issues going on right now that are pandemic related:

1) Major shipping backlog from Asia Pacific. Read more: https://www.businessinsider.com/cargo-ships-waiting-to-dock-california-contributes-supply-chain-crisis-2021-4

2) Vaccine mandates from countries and companies are causing people to protest and strike, affecting production. It's not that people don't want to be vaccinated, it's that they don't want to be forced to, and carry a card or phone app and have to show it to authorities or be arrested, etc.

Now we have the Taliban taking over Afghanistan in record time... not sure if that might not be some bigger play to get the enemy out of hiding or something, or just gross mishandling / incompetence, but that spooks markets and affects prices.

Add to that record government spending and programs, and people not wanting to go back to work after having a whole year off.

Hopefully this will all eventually settle, but it's probably going to be a couple years at least, unfortunately.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Bula Vinaka posted:

There are several issues going on right now that are pandemic related:

1) Major shipping backlog from Asia Pacific. Read more: https://www.businessinsider.com/cargo-ships-waiting-to-dock-california-contributes-supply-chain-crisis-2021-4

2) Vaccine mandates from countries and companies are causing people to protest and strike, affecting production. It's not that people don't want to be vaccinated, it's that they don't want to be forced to, and carry a card or phone app and have to show it to authorities or be arrested, etc.

Now we have the Taliban taking over Afghanistan in record time... not sure if that might not be some bigger play to get the enemy out of hiding or something, or just gross mishandling / incompetence, but that spooks markets and affects prices.

Add to that record government spending and programs, and people not wanting to go back to work after having a whole year off.

Hopefully this will all eventually settle, but it's probably going to be a couple years at least, unfortunately.

Thanks Obama!

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

maybe we could have a food subscription service. $30,000 a year all you can eat. everything should have a subscription service.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Bula Vinaka posted:

It's not that people don't want to be vaccinated,

Oh but it is. People are really loving stupid and they are really loud about it. In fact they don't ever shut the gently caress up about it. I couldn't even guess the number of times I've come across people in public or someone saying directly to me that they don't want to get the vaccine. And that's saying nothing of people on the internet.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

is there a vaccine for hunger

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Crusty Nutsack posted:

the american restaurant operation model was never sustainable. they operate on a 3-5% profit margin. food prices are going up, the cost of doing business is higher in practically every way, and they have to pay employees more in order to keep them. and on to that the risk of endangering the health of their employees by exposing them to the public who may or may not throw a fit if asked to wear a mask and uhhhhh

stop whining, is what I'm saying

Former chef, and you're right. The only way American restaurants survive is by subsidizing employee wages. The tips system lets owners keep wages low for waitstaff. Although, in the major cities I worked in most servers would cry poor and wave their $0 paychecks in your face with pockets full of cash. I'd say the ones that weren't pissing or snorting it all away were probably clearing 40-50k in a year. Its not much, but its far from destitution.

The reason fast casuals have caught on like wildfire is that they are able to do a much higher volume business, so they operate on a better margin despite having to pay employees a higher wage. Nonetheless, the prices of these places have gone up quietly in parallel with increased hourly wages. Companies like Chipotle can now confidently face the press and say "Yeah we pay $15/hr" but don't acknowledge they've passed 100% of that cost on to customers, and this causes inflation.

American's are obsessed with both convenience and authenticity, so people want to eat out 3 times a week but don't want "processed food", which is fair enough. But in reality all this has done is create less affordable options for people who truly rely on convenience. Some place turning out $20 "Buddha Bowls" may tout all organic produce, but this is ultimately a marketing term and the single parent working 2-jobs is typically going to opt for the cheaper fast option.

A lot of neighborhoods I've lived in solve this problem by selling meals out of homes. While not entirely legal, the mere existence of these places is evidence of an unfilled market demand. These people otherwise wouldn't be able to afford a brick and mortar biz so they sell tamales or meat pies out of their subsidized housing and are able to make some money while providing a community need for cheap quality eats.

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 15, 2021

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Tom Gorman posted:

:patriot:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

They hadd to jack up the cost cuz I kept loving the food!! You know how much of the pricing they had to adjust because of me spoiling the food by loving it!?!? It's absolute loads!! Every place you've ordered from I've hosed at least a quarter of the product that then has to be thrown out!!! Sometimes one of the ones they're supposed to throw out gets lost in the furor and they end up sending it out to your home!! You may be eating a pizza I've hosed RIGHT NOW!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Just eat costco hot dogs exclusively until you die of scurvy, thus solving all of your problems :waycool: