Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Tell your boss you will now be charging him more for your time since the cost of pizza has gone up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Bula Vinaka posted:

Now we have the Taliban taking over Afghanistan in record time... not sure if that might not be some bigger play to get the enemy out of hiding or something, or just gross mishandling / incompetence, but that spooks markets and affects prices.

Nobody had their supply chain going through Afghanistan except heroin dealers

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

GORDON posted:

Had a bar owner tell me recently that all his beer was coming in cans now, not bottles. Because there's a covid-related bottle cap shortage.

Weird.

Fallout was a documentary

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Gentlemen, today we may shake hands and found THE PIZZA PARTY!

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

MrQwerty posted:

no, it's nothing like that, there are literally no loving microchips. None. Corporations are ready to loving stab each other over the supply there is and they're fighting with national labs and poo poo over it. It's goddamn chaos and it will never go back to normal.

I regularly get forced to take PTO at least twice a month at a factory that is shutting down in a year because of this poo poo, a place that was the most stable place in this entire loving city in Dec. 2019, it's god drat insane.

I think regular people are going to find out about this when their cars break down this year and they need to get them fixed.

Case in point, our car has been in the shop for six weeks now for an electronic component that's been on national backorder. I'm on the list for a part that is supposed to be in "sometime in September". They said it'll take like half an hour to put in, but it just doesn't exist and they can't get them. So it'll be 2+ months with no car lol

It's not rare or expensive either, it's a dinky ford focus. literally one of the most common vehicles in the US

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Tom Gorman posted:

I think regular people are going to find out about this when their cars break down this year and they need to get them fixed.

Case in point, our car has been in the shop for six weeks now for an electronic component that's been on national backorder. I'm on the list for a part that is supposed to be in "sometime in September". They said it'll take like half an hour to put in, but it just doesn't exist and they can't get them. So it'll be 2+ months with no car lol

It's not rare or expensive either, it's a dinky ford focus. literally one of the most common vehicles in the US

looks like u bought more than you bargained for!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Can’t believe putting computers in every goddamned thing no matter what might have had a downside

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Many people don't know this but the ingredients for pizza are pretty cheap, in fact, they're extremely affordable. So, I was thinking...OP do you have a backyard? Maybe you could build a brick oven to make pizzas in. I know making pizzas in a conventional oven just isn't quite the same. I think you'd make your money back in no time becoming a backyard pizzaiolo. If you don't have a backyard, well, I think it might be time to say goodbye to pizza, which is a children's food for parties.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

went to costco earlier and honestly the meat prices seem the same to me. you might try shopping there

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Tom Gorman posted:

Call around dumps near you and see if anyone's got the make/model.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

The GBS hobo wine thread taught me the art of making your own cheap booze.
Maybe give that a shot OP.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Not paying $18 (+tax, tip, delivery fee, app fee) for 12 9 chicken wings from a pizza shop.

We just don't eat take out much anymore. Honestly it's probably for the best.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Hell Yeah posted:

went to costco earlier and honestly the meat prices seem the same to me. you might try shopping there

I didn’t go to Costco as much during the pandemic cause it’s such a dense amount of people but honestly their meat prices were always kind of high so perhaps they just didn’t need to adjust them as much.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

in case you missed it last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI7sBsBHdCk

they gave the money to the rich people instead of you, op

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Tom Gorman posted:

We have places around here called pick n pull. They have wrecked or broken down cars. You find out if they have any cars on their lot that match the generation of your car and you take some wrenches and pull the parts you need off these salvage cars yourself take them to the counter and buy them.
You might wanna see if you have a company like this near you. I bet they’d have a bunch of focuses since they are so common.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I switched to entirely cooking for myself in early 2020... Just entirely gave up on the idea of getting food prepared for me. I promise you it's a cool life style if you'll dare to. You'll find out so many things. You can basically do whatever. You could learn your own tastes. You could discover a new vegetable. You could become god.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

*being served meatloaf and potat by babushka in communal cafeteria*

Вы чево, товарищ?

What's the difference to a regular restaurant?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Can’t believe putting computers in every goddamned thing no matter what might have had a downside

It seemed like a good idea until a bat flu shut down the world economy for 6 months. Nobody could have predicted something like this. Everything was going fine until the problems started.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

hell astro course posted:

I switched to entirely cooking for myself in early 2020... Just entirely gave up on the idea of getting food prepared for me. I promise you it's a cool life style if you'll dare to. You'll find out so many things. You can basically do whatever. You could learn your own tastes. You could discover a new vegetable. You could become god.

I've been doing a whole lot more of this. I only ever really order delivery when I've been drinking... which can be often, but I've been cooking a whole lot more. Not really due to money reasons but I can know exactly what's going into my meals which makes calorie counting easier. Although lately I've been keeping tabs on how much I'm spending on groceries per week to get a baseline of what I usually spend.

It's also pretty rewarding too when something comes out right. A bit demoralizing when it doesn't though.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Chrs posted:

Tell your boss you will now be charging him more for your time since the cost of pizza has gone up

Marlo from The Wire: "oh and one more thing - the price of da pizza goin' up"

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've been doing a whole lot more of this. I only ever really order delivery when I've been drinking... which can be often, but I've been cooking a whole lot more. Not really due to money reasons but I can know exactly what's going into my meals which makes calorie counting easier. Although lately I've been keeping tabs on how much I'm spending on groceries per week to get a baseline of what I usually spend.

It's also pretty rewarding too when something comes out right. A bit demoralizing when it doesn't though.

Yeah. Pairing alcohol with your meals might help out a lot, I think... like you already got this gem of knowledge like 'yea if i'm drinking i'm gonna get delivery', so maybe you could just be like 'ok if i'm gonna drink lets figure out the food with it' kinda sick trick. And yeah, I've absolutely obliterated a few meals, but it doesn't have to be demoralizing, it's valuable info, and going to bed hungry can be good for the soul.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ArbitraryC posted:

I see people blaming min wage increases for the surging costs of poo poo itt and i think that’s an unhealthy way to look at it.

For one, if paying people a “living wage” makes swaths of businesses unaffordable to your average person then maybe those businesses just shouldn’t exist, otherwise you’re demanding people live in abject poverty so you can get a Big Mac on your lunch break. Priorities.

But more importantly, it’s simply not true. I live in wa which has a much higher min wage in general than the fed one. For a period in college I lived on the border of Idaho and fast food prices were identical (other than taxes) despite WA forcing the companies to pay their employees over 50% more an hour. Same specials, same value menus, same everything.

People were watching for effects like this in Seattle when they spiked their min wage up and all the conservatives were like “you’ll regret this, businesses will run out of money and close” but nope turned out giving service staff more money meant they had more money to spend and the effects were largely positive.

Prices have been going up lately I’ll agree with that, but if you regularly shopped at grocery stores you’d notice food in general has gone up a lot this last year or two, particularly pork and beef (chicken hasn’t seemed to have changed much, maybe that’s why so many chains are advertising chicken sandwiches). I’m a deal shopper that peruses like 3 weekly fliers to decide where I’m hitting on the weekend and can tell ya even for sale prices pork and beef is like 50-100% more than a year and a half ago.

the poverty crumbs provided as "wages" to the american slave class have nothing to do with price increases. things are expensive because container prices from china have quadrupled
https://www.wsj.com/articles/container-ship-prices-skyrocket-as-rush-to-move-goods-picks-up-11625482800

quote:

The average price world-wide to ship a 40-foot container has more than quadrupled from a year ago, to $8,399 as of July 1, according to a global pricing index by London-based Drewry Shipping Consultants Ltd. The measure has surged 53.5% since the first week of May.

Listed prices to ship from China to major ports in Europe and the U.S. West Coast are closer to $12,000 a container, by Drewry’s measure, and some companies say they are being charged $20,000 for last-minute agreements to get goods onto outbound vessels.

world economy is hosed and its getting more hosed every day. i hope you have all been hording screws!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Yeah. Pairing alcohol with your meals might help out a lot, I think... like you already got this gem of knowledge like 'yea if i'm drinking i'm gonna get delivery', so maybe you could just be like 'ok if i'm gonna drink lets figure out the food with it' kinda sick trick. And yeah, I've absolutely obliterated a few meals, but it doesn't have to be demoralizing, it's valuable info, and going to bed hungry can be good for the soul.

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

the poverty crumbs provided as "wages" to the american slave class have nothing to do with price increases. things are expensive because container prices from china have quadrupled
https://www.wsj.com/articles/container-ship-prices-skyrocket-as-rush-to-move-goods-picks-up-11625482800
Did you not read my post? I directly said wages had nothing to do with it and used two examples of wages go up not affecting price.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ArbitraryC posted:

Did you not read my post? I directly said wages had nothing to do with it and used two examples of wages go up not affecting price.

yeah thats why i was agreeing with you

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

What's the difference to a regular restaurant?

It seemed like a good idea until a bat flu shut down the world economy for 6 months. Nobody could have predicted something like this. Everything was going fine until the problems started.

Having a single mine in the entire world for a critical material may have been a good pre-rona clue.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I loving hate delivery, even pizzas.

It's more expensive, duh
The people who do it are assholes who sometimes wreck the food or give it to the wrong people or just leave it outside your door without any notice
It's usually faster to just get off your rear end and go get the items yourself
Food stays warmer/colder
Getting out of the house, especially during a pandemic, is never a bad thing

But seriously yeah things have definitely gone up. Gas is one I really noticed, it's basically $4 here for regular unleaded which is truly a watershed. Food has increased for some things and not others - mostly meat, which is like 25% more now. Fruits and veg are about the same, soda is more expensive and

Another thing is that my used Toyota Camry that I bought for $7,000 like three years ago is now worth $10,000 apparently so you know, strikes and gutters, ups and downs

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

AHH F/UGH posted:

Another thing is that my used Toyota Camry that I bought for $7,000 like three years ago is now worth $10,000 apparently so you know, strikes and gutters, ups and downs

It's not really worth more... because the dollar is worth less? Like, that $10k today has the buying power that $7k previously had.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I've been doing some meal prep lately and that's a huge help. I can cook once and have a planned meal for 3 more days. Then I can just pull it out of the fridge and microwave it and it's hard to justify ordering a pizza when I already have something ready to go. Plus again, much much cheaper.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

owls or something posted:

It's not really worth more... because the dollar is worth less? Like, that $10k today has the buying power that $7k previously had.

Something tells me the dollar isn't worth 40%+ less than three years ago when I bought the car, especially on a depreciating asset

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
OP we're running a special sale today on calling you a big dumb baby

50% off

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AHH F/UGH posted:

Something tells me the dollar isn't worth 40%+ less than three years ago

you sure?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

AHH F/UGH posted:

Something tells me the dollar isn't worth 40%+ less than three years ago when I bought the car, especially on a depreciating asset
Car depreciation is overstated because of a modern, western aversion to used durable goods. Even discounting any immediate inflation that is or isn't there your car was undervalued 3 years ago and is back to a price better describing its future use and reparability now that computer chips don't exist so that new cars are a dream.

Throwing aside any philosophizing about durable good purchasing patterns though its literally 40% inflation because you can't realize those gains, if you were to sell now you'd be paying a 40% premium for anything equivalent.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

AHH F/UGH posted:

Yeah you're right, everything is fine and your Toyota is just a smart investment being realized.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

My home equity has finally reached a point where I can start bitching about property taxes and voting Republican.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Only inflationary measure I need

Everything is fine

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

It's really loving with my mantra of "the worst case scenario here is we order pizza" when trying a new recipe...

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Dear Watson posted:

We have places around here called pick n pull. They have wrecked or broken down cars. You find out if they have any cars on their lot that match the generation of your car and you take some wrenches and pull the parts you need off these salvage cars yourself take them to the counter and buy them.
You might wanna see if you have a company like this near you. I bet they’d have a bunch of focuses since they are so common.

Lol if you think every u pull it in the country hasn't already been stripped for electronics, this poo poo has been ongoing for a year and is just now hitting the critical point where stocks are gone

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

My 2018 Toyota Sienna has a light on 24/7 that says my tires are low. Even after getting four brand new tires. I hate it.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

owls or something posted:

Yeah you're right, everything is fine and your Toyota is just a smart investment being realized.

lol @ you If you think goons ever do anything because it's a smart investment

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

My 2018 Toyota Sienna has a light on 24/7 that says my tires are low. Even after getting four brand new tires. I hate it.

Tire pressure sensors are a scam and I just ignore it. It's solved by pressing a $5 tire pressure guage into them once a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Lol at ordering a pizza. Just plant a garden in your back yard and grow your own pizza.