Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

The thinking is that the nitrates in processed meats (like cold cuts) are broken down by our bacteria into colon cancer causing stuff. Its been studied but I don't think its definitive or anything

I do not have any doubt that some of the processes are actually bad

It's just that lots of people use that word like they use
:byodood: CHEMICALS :byodood:
And it will never not be funny to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Tom Gorman posted:

Case in point, our car has been in the shop for six weeks now for an electronic component that's been on national backorder. I'm on the list for a part that is supposed to be in "sometime in September". They said it'll take like half an hour to put in, but it just doesn't exist and they can't get them. So it'll be 2+ months with no car lol

It's not rare or expensive either, it's a dinky ford focus. literally one of the most common vehicles in the US

A friend of mine had the same issue with his Focus. He said the service backlot was chock full of identical Fords that had all been bricked by the transmission issue and had been sitting there forever while Ford tried to source replacement electronics. It affected a whole generation of cars, excerbating the shortage and backorder problem even more. Luckily he's getting a rental paid for until his car can be fixed, but goddamn what a mess. I unironically told him to request a manual transmission swap from Ford since those weren't affected (for obvious reasons), and it'd probably be cheaper for Ford versus paying out for a 2-6+ month rental.

Dr. Gojo Shioji fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 16, 2021

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you're famil doesn't want to survive on beans, rice and multivitamin it's time to :sever: and get yourself a less lovely famil

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Yes but nowhere did OP mention that was the case. A bunch of people just assume it is. I’m not knocking the information itself because maybe someone reading the thread will find it useful, it just doesn’t have anything to with the OP in particular (at least given the info provided in the OP).

Not assuming anything about the OP, though I gotta say if something is an occasional treat then you probably shouldn't be that concerned about the price going up a few bucks. $20 vs $25 isn't a big deal if it's a couple times a month.

But also, where are all the people jumping on the OP saying what you think they're saying? On page 3 there was this:

hell astro course posted:

I switched to entirely cooking for myself in early 2020... Just entirely gave up on the idea of getting food prepared for me. I promise you it's a cool life style if you'll dare to. You'll find out so many things. You can basically do whatever. You could learn your own tastes. You could discover a new vegetable. You could become god.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've been doing a whole lot more of this. I only ever really order delivery when I've been drinking... which can be often, but I've been cooking a whole lot more. Not really due to money reasons but I can know exactly what's going into my meals which makes calorie counting easier. Although lately I've been keeping tabs on how much I'm spending on groceries per week to get a baseline of what I usually spend.

It's also pretty rewarding too when something comes out right. A bit demoralizing when it doesn't though.

And then we have people reacting to "I learned to cook for myself" posts as if they were suggestions to eat plain rice and beans forever, or insulting the food of someone who obviously just started.

It's not the people advocating cooking who are crazy. It's the people who react as if cooking is a life of deprivation, or think that it means you can never order a pizza ever again. I think there's some projection going on here.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Colonel Cancer posted:

If you're famil doesn't want to survive on beans, rice and multivitamin it's time to :sever: and get yourself a less lovely famil

A multi vitamin? Look at mr moneybags here

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Klyith posted:

And then we have people reacting to "I learned to cook for myself" posts as if they were suggestions to eat plain rice and beans forever, or insulting the food of someone who obviously just started.

It's not the people advocating cooking who are crazy. It's the people who react as if cooking is a life of deprivation, or think that it means you can never order a pizza ever again. I think there's some projection going on here.

edit: I misread your post, sorry

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 16, 2021

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Starting a gofundme to pay my rent this month because I ate a $13 burger for lunch.

Anyone interested in joining my raid party later? I heard Pizza Hut has a vault filled with pizza that is just ripe for the taking.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Klyith posted:

insulting the food of someone who obviously just started.

jesus god where do you think we are? were allowed to make fun of five pounds of diced frozen onions i paid my :10bux:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Saucer Hovers posted:

jesus god where do you think we are? were allowed to make fun of five pounds of diced frozen onions i paid my :10bux:

Whatever. It was mean, but I didn't mash the report button on you or anything.

I'm just comparing that to the imaginary attacks that DST thinks are directed at pizza-buyers.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dear Watson posted:

Seriously, just pick one nutrient and stick with it. Vitamin C is cheap and plentiful.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Go to Costco and get a years worth of gummies for like $10-$15.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Look at Mister Wholesale Club Membership :smug: over here

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Klyith posted:

the food of someone who obviously just started.

lol this is also an insult

naem
May 29, 2011

I feel compelled to post a more photogenic image of beef stew and rice lol

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Klyith posted:

I'm just comparing that to the imaginary attacks that DST thinks are directed at pizza-buyers.

thank you so much for not reporting me poster klyith

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you shouldn't include celery it has NeGaTiVe CaLoRiEs and your family will starve!

actually you shouldn't include any celery because it's terrible

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I was looking at gfx cards like 2 weeks ago and omg they are all expensive, both Nvidia and ATI/AMD. gently caress you coin miners.

naem
May 29, 2011

The Bloop posted:

you shouldn't include celery it has NeGaTiVe CaLoRiEs and your family will starve!

actually you shouldn't include any celery because it's terrible

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Klyith posted:

I never said they were attacks, it’s just that to me it’s weird to respond to “drat this pizza was expensive“ with “you can eat beans and rice for 20 cents a week, also did you know it’s possible to cook food at home” :shrug:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Celery as an ingredient that is no longer identifiable as celery is fine. In fact, it is an ingredient in one of my handful of favorite foods ever!

If it's still a big chunk though it can go straight in the garbage

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
THIS IS FORMULATED FOR MY NUTRITIONAL NEEDS
IT HAS THE MAXIMUM NUTRIENT TO PRICE RATIO
ANYTHING MORE IS WASTEFUL AND ILLOGICAL

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Celery is good and good for you

naem
May 29, 2011

I also browned the beef to lock in that crispy flavor before deglazing with some red wine and then slow cooking to perfection

actually fast cooking (instapot)

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Where do you get 10 pound bags of rice for zero dollars

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I... I mean someone could just mug an old lady as she leaves the grocery store. Hypothetically.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Bloop posted:

Look at Mister Wholesale Club Membership :smug: over here

Don't get 2 pizzas and you have a membership for a year and you can save a ton of money. :colbert:

naem
May 29, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

that was interned as a bit of light hearted hyperbole I paid market rates for my carbs

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Free samples at the rice store

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

I unironically told him to request a manual transmission swap from Ford since those weren't affected (for obvious reasons), and it'd probably be cheaper for Ford versus paying out for a 2-6+ month rental.

Ford is not going to do that. They don't keep a particularly large inventory of barely bought transmissions around to just swap out at a customer request. It's way more work than you're assuming to swap in a manual, and Ford isn't about to spot the labor and parts because you were dumb and bought an automatic ford focus without doing any research into the decade of problems and lawsuits over that specific thing.

Manuals are now becoming, more often than not, an option that costs more than an automatic.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

a rice farm

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
I’m sorry but the post with glop and rice was funny because of the picture. Like the message was right, sure, you have a few ways to cook anything that makes it nutritious and easy and filling but then being like, look at this beautiful meal that I made for 3 dollars and it’s all one color? Also 3 bucks isn’t all that cheap for a meal that’s 80% rice.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Rutibex posted:

a rice farm

This is a no go, they wanted me to "wear clothes" while harvesting rice

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I work in inventory management for a major retailer. We can expect things to get worse over the short and medium term. In addition to the Marlboro canal fiasco earlier this year, there was a major container shortage, and a typhoon that majorly disrupted our import operations and the global supply chain on the whole. Many of the vendors I manage are not projecting to be back to regular manufacturing or shipping capacity until late 2022. I know there's a lot of import transportation goons here so I'll let them talk about that but I get a lot of insight to how that plays into consumer goods supply chains. Everything is late. Halloween product is late. Trim is late. Back to college is late. loving valentine's is late already and we tried to build in a month of lead time buffer. I know mostly this thread is riffing on grocery and restaurants but since idk about any of that take anything I say with a grain of salt. Port delays have to be playing a part though. The good news is that we are expecting a lot of the pricing issues to be transitions but we're definitely repositioning our long term financial forecast for increased inflation. I'm not sure exactly what that looks like though.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Dear Watson posted:

I love my scurvy ridden waife & kids

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Borscht posted:

the Marlboro canal

Well I learned something today but I feel what I learned may be racist or something, it just has that feel

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

naem posted:

I feel compelled to post a more photogenic image of beef stew and rice lol

don't sweat it! Like, 100% of fast food would look much worse if photographed under any real circumstances. Imagine if everyone just posted a quick pictures of their maccas or taco bell, especially without being indoctrinated through commercial imagery, not to mention if you're using unprocessed ingredients you're more likely getting a much more robust nutrient profile.

naem
May 29, 2011

it taates real good, with my mouf

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

hell astro course posted:

don't sweat it! Like, 100% of fast food would look much worse if photographed under any real circumstances. Imagine if everyone just posted a quick pictures of their maccas or taco bell, especially without being indoctrinated through commercial imagery, not to mention if you're using unprocessed ingredients you're more likely getting a much more robust nutrient profile.

It's a well known psychological trick that presentation is a HUGE component in how people perceive how good a dish tastes. Which is why I only serve food in a pitch black room.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Waltzing Along posted:

I get trying to make up for lost revenue but you are going to start losing business by raising prices so drastically.

I'm pretty sure the death spiral of "less people buying stuff>raise prices to make up for lost revenue>even less people buy stuff>prices rise even higher" is a relatively new thing because I don't recall this happening when I was a kid. Usually when people weren't buying stuff, prices were actually lowered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

If he took a photo with better lighting and color corrected it and maybe added a small sprig of some cilatro on top to balance the look of it a bit, no one would say anythig

What I'm saying here is learn to take photos you god drat plebian