Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Regalingualius posted:

Why were we there, again?
Well first it was to get bin Laden, then it was to remove the Taliban, THEN it was to spread democracy. Because real life works like Civiization, where you just click the 'democracy' button, and Bob's your uncle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
The Afghan Army is seriously f tier.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

To keep the Taliban's declaration of surrender and offers of assistance in capturing Osama quiet, thereby saving the Iraq War, then mineral rights, then sunk cost fallacy.

Oh, and there was Tora Bora, where Junior got the photo op he wanted after 9/11 and then was able to tie it into his broader political goals.
forgot embezzlement and make work for mercenaries

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 16, 2021

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Also, to have a staging ground for a potential war against Iran, like the horrible neocons in the Bush admin really wanted.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Presto posted:

Well first it was to get bin Laden, then it was to remove the Taliban, THEN it was to spread democracy. Because real life works like Civiization, where you just click the 'democracy' button, and Bob's your uncle.

we were hoping to get to a higher tech levels to unlock the Boeing all terrain armored transports and the scout walkers. but then W blew all the credits on the Iraq expansion map and that was that. then obama tried investing in like probe droids and poo poo.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

we were hoping to get to a higher tech levels to unlock the Boeing all terrain armored transports and the scout walkers. but then W blew all the credits on the Iraq expansion map and that was that. then obama tried investing in like probe droids and poo poo.
It turns out Afghanistan wasn't a rival Civilization to be conquered, but rather a collection of those weird, neutral NPC minor-Civilizations that they added in CIV V that turned me off of the series.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Discospawn posted:

It turns out Afghanistan wasn't a rival Civilization to be conquered, but rather a collection of those weird, neutral NPC minor-Civilizations that they added in CIV V that turned me off of the series.

idk. i get more of total war/age of empires/empire at war vibe because thats all i played. if we had just typed in Simonsays in enough times. we would have won with an army of laser ewoks.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
It really does goes to show that 20 years after we have invaded and got roundly humiliated, there’s still not a very good understanding of afghanistan and why we were there in general. The military really is just one giant big dumb DMV that had the vaguest notion of whatever it’s mission over there was and we just kept things going out of sheer inertia and apathy. That apathy was also extended to the public - there were really no mass protests or outrage over it like Iraq

A high school friend of mine sadly committed suicide over his tour there, and the last conversation I had with him was about cynicalness and general nihlism - happy dude, but came back something else. The victims of Afghanistan from the afghans to the people that were dragged there don’t even get the luxury of being respected - for this to end in such a farcical way is just a cosmic joke

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Big Hubris posted:

To keep the Taliban's declaration of surrender and offers of assistance in capturing Osama quiet, thereby saving the Iraq War, then mineral rights, then sunk cost fallacy.

I had heard in The Power of Nightmares series that the Taliban offered to hand OBL over in exchange for not getting bombed but the US rejected that offer. Not sure how accurate the series is though.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Discospawn posted:

wowie zowie

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

MH Knights posted:

I had heard in The Power of Nightmares series that the Taliban offered to hand OBL over in exchange for not getting bombed but the US rejected that offer. Not sure how accurate the series is though.

Sure, and I remember how in 2001 they said that they had taken away his radio equipment so he couldn't broadcast anymore.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

MH Knights posted:

They also demanded proof of his guilt

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
From the other thread, have This Is What Winning Looks Like. I personally liked the part about how the Afghan soldiers stole and sold the walls to their own base.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The problem is that every time we went to quit, we'd get sucked back in for a few more years. Please don't go. The Drones need you. They look up to you.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Wow. Built to last, huh? Might even evacuate guys in the next hasty retreat. Go, brave helicoppy, go. :patriot:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i suspect it will reduce big super military adventure invasions for a couple decades, possibly 50 years or so, unless some big war breaks out somewhere else(modi vs xi or russia implodes post putin). neither the dems/libs or the GOP are looking for big foreign invasion fun time adventures, outside the weird neocon remnant and the weird ghouls who write dissertations about how if America made an Afghan raj, then fruit production in Idaho would be bigger.

50??? I wouldn't expect it to last more than 5.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Big Hubris posted:

Oh, and there was Tora Bora, where Junior got the photo op he wanted after 9/11 and then was able to tie it into his broader political goals.
forgot embezzlement and make work for mercenaries

After all of Bush's mistakes, it appears Obama's motivation was to have it show up in American news as little as possible. Actually pulling out of Afghanistan would have caused Americans to pay attention to Afghanistan, whereas drone strikes against brown people are just background noise to Americans. Trump's motivation was to one-up Obama, with zero thought about what that actually is or means. Biden's goal appears to be to make this all end with the minimum number of American deaths. But even though this obviously affects Afghans way more, at no point did any powerful American care about this impacts any non-American.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Discospawn posted:

I heavily disagree, but I do think the trick with those NPC civs (keep them happy and they'll give you the resources to go after your rivals) probably applies to Afghanistan as well. The Mongols and Persians just left them alone and asked only for tribute, worked out pretty well for them. Maybe the trick to Afghanistan is let it be Afghanistan.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?
Did a tour in Afghanistan in one of the hottest parts near the Pakistan border. I won a couple medals for this and that, but I can't tell you one thing that we did that was going to bring an end to it.

Afghan's aren't Afghan's, they are what ever regional tribe they belong to. They had no concept of country like most of the rest of the world does. The strategy of nation building, and winning hearts and minds was laughable at best.

It was always going to end this way.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

LGD posted:

the Taliban has the airport (which is packed with panicked civilians the U.S. clearly had no plan for dealing with beyond being abandoned to their fates) completely surrounded and it's got plenty of places with lines of sight to/from it, so it really would not be difficult to blow up transport aircraft or gently caress the runway

however thankfully the Taliban are both more practical and less monstrously bloodthirsty than you are (as would be readily apparent if you followed pretty much any part of this largely bloodless takeover and their international signaling), so there are pretty good odds they let the U.S. stew in a disaster of its own making for a week or so as it airlifts people out

"USAF(ing) the gently caress out of them" would currently be the thing most likely to re-create a U.S. version of the 1842 retreat from Kabul

Forgive me, my mind has retreated to how clueless I was back when this all started. None of this poo poo makes any sense.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Probably Magic posted:

I heavily disagree, but I do think the trick with those NPC civs (keep them happy and they'll give you the resources to go after your rivals) probably applies to Afghanistan as well. The Mongols and Persians just left them alone and asked only for tribute, worked out pretty well for them. Maybe the trick to Afghanistan is let it be Afghanistan.

This doesn't really sound like "left them alone and asked only for tribute"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasions_of_Afghanistan#Mongol_Empire

Genghis Khan invaded the region from the northeast in one of his many conquests to create the huge Mongol Empire. His armies slaughtered thousands in the cities of Kabul, Kandahar, Jalalabad etc. After Genghis Khan returned to Mongolia, there was a rebellion in the region of Helmand which was brutally put down by his son and successor, Ogedei Khan, who put all male residents of Ghazni and Helmand to the sword in 1222; the women were enslaved and sold. Thereafter most parts of Afghanistan other than the extreme south-eastern remained under Mongol rule as part of the Ilkhanate and Chagatai Khanate.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Magugu posted:

Did a tour in Afghanistan in one of the hottest parts near the Pakistan border. I won a couple medals for this and that, but I can't tell you one thing that we did that was going to bring an end to it.

Afghan's aren't Afghan's, they are what ever regional tribe they belong to. They had no concept of country like most of the rest of the world does. The strategy of nation building, and winning hearts and minds was laughable at best.

I feel like we should just quote this again and again.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Magugu posted:

how many people you worked with felt the same way?

Was there ever a growing realization about this or were the people who "got it" already retiring as new people were filling in?

(I know nothing about how deployments and this sort of stuff works, forgive me)

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Smeef posted:

This doesn't really sound like "left them alone and asked only for tribute"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasions_of_Afghanistan#Mongol_Empire

Genghis Khan invaded the region from the northeast in one of his many conquests to create the huge Mongol Empire. His armies slaughtered thousands in the cities of Kabul, Kandahar, Jalalabad etc. After Genghis Khan returned to Mongolia, there was a rebellion in the region of Helmand which was brutally put down by his son and successor, Ogedei Khan, who put all male residents of Ghazni and Helmand to the sword in 1222; the women were enslaved and sold. Thereafter most parts of Afghanistan other than the extreme south-eastern remained under Mongol rule as part of the Ilkhanate and Chagatai Khanate.

Fair enough, though that still seems mostly like remote rule as opposed to actual nation-building.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

buglord posted:

how many people you worked with felt the same way?

Was there ever a growing realization about this or were the people who "got it" already retiring as new people were filling in?

(I know nothing about how deployments and this sort of stuff works, forgive me)

Best way I can describe it: It was a job. You woke up, put your pants on, got some coffee and went to work. It's as cold as it gets, but that was the reality. We saw the suffering, and really wanted to help the people. However, there was literally nothing you could do. It was an absolute quagmire.

There were the gung-ho people, but they mostly got ignored (at least in my limited experience). Everyone's main goal was to get yourself and your people home in one piece.

You knew that you were going to be there for a year, go home for a year, and be right back. It was called the Deployment Cycle. The attitude was never about "winning the war and going home", it was surviving this deployment and going home hoping your wife hasn't left you because your gone all the time. It was a job.

When I was there the war was already 8 years old, and we had people on their third deployment. Some of the people I was there with on our first deployment, have now had their fifth deployment.

We all knew that this poo poo was never going to end in a "winning" condition. The ANA (Afghan National Army) was never going to be a fighting force capable of holding the country without the training wheels that the US offered. They were mediocre at best, because their loyalty was not to country, it was to tribe.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Comstar posted:

50??? I wouldn't expect it to last more than 5.

Maybe but that would require gen x and mileneials and zoomers to suddenly be uber gung ho for it. Do I think we will smaller/“smaller” “police” actions. Probably but I don’t see the US deciding to stick there dicks in the open big invasion and occupation horror show for awhile. Afghanistan and Iraq happened because 9/11 broke America’s brain hard and that was that. It was only until Iraq started to go bad(obviously beforehand too) that people started to realize we hosed up.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Some idiot British dude decided to fly to Afghanistan shortly before the fall....and now he's stuck there.

https://twitter.com/Rimmy_Downunder/status/1426838284915798016?s=20

This dude is going to become gleeful recruit or a corpse in a month.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sedisp posted:

He's GOING TO become the talibans investment manager.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sedisp posted:

He's already trying to find a flight out of Afghanistan and hiding out because he realized that someone would prolly kidnap him and squeeze his family for a ransom.

edit: tbqh he might be better off surrendering to the Taliban and counting on Afghan hospitality to see him through. 'course that kinda hinges on them believing that he's just a tremendous dumbass and not a spy.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Zeroisanumber posted:

He's already trying to find a flight out of Afghanistan and hiding out because he realized that someone would prolly kidnap him and squeeze his family for a ransom.

edit: tbqh he might be better off surrendering to the Taliban and counting on Afghan hospitality to see him through. 'course that kinda hinges on them believing that he's just a tremendous dumbass and not a spy.

Usually british spies are named Abdul. not Lord M E Miles.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
the way America is treating their collaborators with such open contempt and refusing to let go of their stupid Visa beuracracy bin the face of the situation is a really good lesson for anyone else in the world who was thinking of helping out the US in any future endeavor lol.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

the way America is treating their collaborators with such open contempt and refusing to let go of their stupid Visa beuracracy bin the face of the situation is a really good lesson for anyone else in the world who was thinking of helping out the US in any future endeavor lol.

I thought the Kurds predated that.

This whole thing reminds me of high school when I was in resource room this big dumb fella kept refusing to do his homework and the teacher told him he won't graduate with these grades and with this resigned tone he insisted he was too dumb to do it and he would make a living by going in to the military. We had a recruiter at our school every gently caress day after 2001 so I knew he planned on talking with him. I just remember thinking you stupid bastard you won't live to see your twenty first birthday.

This was just before we invaded Iraq as well so the fighting was really ramping up. The fact he preferred a hail of bullets to doing his math homework always just baffled the gently caress out of me. Despite all the bullshit patriotic glitter the entire affair was never looked at as a desirable job, least where I lived.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 16, 2021

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Al-Saqr posted:

I'd agree but anyone who looks at the history of American disengagement should know that we leave local collaborators to hang as a matter of course.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
LOLLLL

https://twitter.com/javedhassan/status/1427160135894503427?s=21

The Chinese are A+ trolls

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Magugu posted:

Best way I can describe it: It was a job. You woke up, put your pants on, got some coffee and went to work. It's as cold as it gets, but that was the reality. We saw the suffering, and really wanted to help the people. However, there was literally nothing you could do. It was an absolute quagmire.

There were the gung-ho people, but they mostly got ignored (at least in my limited experience). Everyone's main goal was to get yourself and your people home in one piece.

You knew that you were going to be there for a year, go home for a year, and be right back. It was called the Deployment Cycle. The attitude was never about "winning the war and going home", it was surviving this deployment and going home hoping your wife hasn't left you because your gone all the time. It was a job.

When I was there the war was already 8 years old, and we had people on their third deployment. Some of the people I was there with on our first deployment, have now had their fifth deployment.

We all knew that this poo poo was never going to end in a "winning" condition. The ANA (Afghan National Army) was never going to be a fighting force capable of holding the country without the training wheels that the US offered. They were mediocre at best, because their loyalty was not to country, it was to tribe.

Thanks for the input man. I've read a few books on it (The Outpost, Outlaw Platoon) and the authors there had a more ideological/patriotic(?) take on it, but id imagine for a variety of reasons you have to cater to the audience and publisher. Those two books and other I (partially) read through, Afghanistan by Thomas Barfield, all agree that the people of Afghanistan see themselves as members of a local tribe and not at all some sort of united group with a shared cause and clearly defined borders. Everything ive read seems to point towards that being the case outside of the cities. I dont really know how you overcome that as an outsider with no ethnic/family/tribal/linguistic ties.

Al-Saqr posted:

I think this is what pisses me off the most about the entire thing. Its clear they were an afterthought and now they and their families are gonna be in serious trouble as a reward for their help.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/AlArabiya_Eng/status/1427135572947214339

here's your fall of saigon video/picture. expect to see this plastered all over the place in the coming weeks

(there's also a video of a man falling off a plane as he tries to hold onto it as it takes off but that's obviously :nms: )

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

pasaluki posted:

Tnega posted:

From the other thread, have This Is What Winning Looks Like. I personally liked the part about how the Afghan soldiers stole and sold the walls to their own base.

this whole segment where this guy was just 100% holding a drink through the whole thing, Julian-From-Trailer-Park-Boys style

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

pasaluki posted:

Guess who trained 'em!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The funniest poo poo in retrospect is the way pretty much every political delegation would go to Kabul, and then to say they visited the countryside, hit up the Panjshir valley and say everything's going great.

There's probably something to be said for how the government was structured and how a highly centralized presidential system was poorly suited to the tasks at hand. While in most cases highly federal systems tend to be ineffective(see the USA), in Afghanistan it was probably a necessity to provide any kind of decent governance.

I'm not too sure how the Taliban will keep a lid on things- they might stir rebellion once the honeymoon ends, especially if they crack down on poppy cultivation, but we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Regalingualius posted:

Same here. I was just eight when all of this started, and it’s still loving with me just how quickly they reasserted themselves once they had the opportunity. Millions killed either as a direct result or as a knock-on effect of all of the conflicts this one war started. Once more, I ask:

to take over and protect northern poppy fields for CIA narco network.