Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

lol Saddam's attempt to invade Kuwait literally ended with Iraqi infrastructure being set back decades. He was not invading anything, if he had even made it this long.

He wanted to do it in 1994. There were biannual large scale reinforcement exercises after 1991 because it was that necessary to impress upon Saddam that the US had the will and capability to intervene again.

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edit...tsec=frontcover

e: an awful lot of this counterfactual talk makes the tacit assumption that the US is the only world actor with agency. Saddam was a guy heavily convinced of his own manifest destiny and as pointed out above, with a history of catastrophically misreading foreign affairs.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Iraq probably would have fallen into an awful civil war if Saddam lasted this long, might have even spiralled into a second Iran-Iraq war even, I think thats far more likely than a second invasion of Kuwait.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

OctaMurk posted:

Iraq probably would have fallen into an awful civil war if Saddam lasted this long, might have even spiralled into a second Iran-Iraq war even, I think thats far more likely than a second invasion of Kuwait.

Actually yeah, poo poo wasn't getting any better under US sanctions

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Actually yeah, poo poo wasn't getting any better under US sanctions

Not even that. No War on Terror doesn't change the fact that the Global Financial Crisis is going to hit in 2008 and all of the fallout from that is going to cascade into the region. The obvious scenario is that when the Arab Spring goes south in Syria then even if Iraq is 'stable' at that point the Kurds in the North of Iraq decide that This Is Their Time and declare an independent Kurdistan under the protection of the no-fly zone.

That creates a crisis point for the West on the question of intervention (Turkey will say no) and so you either get horrible repression or that's step one in a civil war where everyone else in the country decides to shoot their shot.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 3, 2021

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
There was precisely one person in Congress who voted against going into Afghanistan. Any alt-history where 9/11 happens still has the US going to Afghanistan.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Apparently the Taliban have resumed persecution of the Shia Hazara minority, which could bode ill to their relationship with Iran. Witnesses report killings and forced expulsions.

Al-Jazeera posted:

The Taliban killed at least 13 members of the Hazara ethnic group, including a 17-year-old girl, in the central province of Daykundi, shortly after they took power in Afghanistan, according to a new report from Amnesty International.

On August 30, a convoy of 300 Taliban fighters entered Khidr district and killed at least 11 former members of the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF), nine of whom were taken to a nearby river basin where they were executed shortly after having surrendered, the rights group said in its report published on Tuesday.

A teenager, identified by the name of Masuma, was killed in crossfire after the Taliban targeted Afghan forces who were attempting to flee the area. Another civilian, Fayaz, a newly-wed in his 20s, was also among those killed in the crossfire.

The ANSF members who were killed ranged in age from 26 to 46, Amnesty said. All the victims were Hazara, who were persecuted during the Taliban’s first stint in power between 1996 and 2001.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/10/5/taliban-killed-13-members-of-hazara-ethnic-group-report

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Apparently the Taliban have resumed persecution of the Shia Hazara minority, which could bode ill to their relationship with Iran. Witnesses report killings and forced expulsions.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/10/5/taliban-killed-13-members-of-hazara-ethnic-group-report

well poo poo. This falling into sectarian fighting is gonna collapse it all back into a nightmare.

Losing the support of Iran would be bad for dealings with basically every other neighbour, this is gonna collapse if this is leadership pushing this and not them just losing control of regional militias. Dunno what to believe anymore, if their overtures at the outset of the takeover were all just pretending for the international state then their leadership really hasn't learned much in 20 years.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

It's hard to tell what intentions the leadership had and did they matter. The Taliban's autonomous command structure was key to their survival, but will prove a challenge now that they've won. There is a good chance the country could end up as a collection of petty kritarchies.

Either way, pissing off Iran could lead to literally dark times for a lot of people:

North–South Power Transmission Enhancement Project posted:

Currently, 73% of Afghan power supply is imported—22% from Iran, 4% from Tajikistan, 17% from Turkmenistan, and 57% from Uzbekistan.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's way way worse than that. Human rights violations will put aid funding in the crossfire again, meaning that it's not just Iran but all of that electricity import that is at risk.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah that's one thing the military occupation government had going for it for sure, no amount of human rights violations would put reconstruction or aid money at risk.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah that's one thing the military occupation government had going for it for sure, no amount of human rights violations would put reconstruction or aid money at risk.

You know, it's a bit like having your syphilis cured by malaria, neither is particularly pleasant and it's probably cold comfort that the latter is endemic while the former came from America.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

VitalSigns posted:

Correct.
E: Actually I think I misread your post and we're in unironic agreement and not ironic agreement.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Correct.
E: Actually I think I misread your post and we're in unironic agreement and not ironic agreement.

:laugh:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I think it's a bit of a leap to go from the execution of 11 former ANSF troops and 2 accidental deaths to claiming the Taliban are persecuting Hazara. I'm sure they've killed more Turk and Pashtun people. Oh wait, they killed 9 other Hazara a month and a half ago!
TBH I'm not convinced the Taliban ever particularly singled out the Hazara. Plenty of Uzbeks died at Mazar I Sharif. Presumably Tajiks too.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

https://m.republicworld.com/world-n...p-official.html

The economic situation looks really, really bad. I'm not even sure if the Taliban can hold on to power once everything comes crashing down. Another civil war might be in the cards.

Makes their decision to go ahead with the misogynistic policies even more baffling. The country is completely reliant on foreign aid for its naked survival and these fuckers couldn't put off stomping down on women for even a single year to improve their negotiation position. :wtc:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

https://m.republicworld.com/world-n...p-official.html

The economic situation looks really, really bad. I'm not even sure if the Taliban can hold on to power once everything comes crashing down. Another civil war might be in the cards.

Makes their decision to go ahead with the misogynistic policies even more baffling. The country is completely reliant on foreign aid for its naked survival and these fuckers couldn't put off stomping down on women for even a single year to improve their negotiation position. :wtc:

It's 20 years on from the point where people had notice to pay attention to the Taliban and people are still surprised that the fundamentalist feudal reactionaries are acting like fundamentalist feudal reactionaries.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Weka posted:

I think it's a bit of a leap to go from the execution of 11 former ANSF troops and 2 accidental deaths to claiming the Taliban are persecuting Hazara.

How about mass evictions?

al-Jazeera posted:

Azad, the former MP, said the Taliban’s abuses in Daykundi do not end with the killings.

She says that since the Taliban captured the province on August 14, a day before former President Ashraf Ghani fled the country, thousands of families have been forced from their homes in the Gizab and Pato districts of the mountainous province.

A list compiled by residents shows that as many as 20,000 families were forcibly displaced across at least 10 different villages over the last month and a half.

Daykundi residents speaking to Al Jazeera said that when the Taliban came to their homes, the fighters claimed that the families had been illegally occupying the land or that a Taliban shura had decided the land “belongs to the people”.

Azad says the wide swathe of lands taken by the Taliban makes their reasoning hard to believe.

“If it was just one village it may be possible that these were some kind of legal issues, but it doesn’t make sense that there are land disputes all across this many villages.”

She says many of the families had been living on their land for generations, “They had the deeds in their hands.”

Mohammad*, a resident of the Gizab district, is one of those people.

The 42-year-old says his wife and children were at home when the Taliban came to their doorstep demanding they vacate the property on September 23. Frightened and unsure of what to do, all nine people in Mohammad’s family left the house they had lived in for decades.

“I was a child when that house was built. I planted the trees outside it myself,” Mohammad said to Al Jazeera from Kabul, where his family now lives.

Before coming to the capital, Mohammad, a former education ministry worker, tried to appeal to the Taliban, but he says it was no use, even though the fighters who came to his house were from the same district as him.

“I tried to explain to the Islamic Emirate, but they just said, ‘It’s been decided that your land now belongs to the people.’”

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Alchenar posted:

It's 20 years on from the point where people had notice to pay attention to the Taliban and people are still surprised that the fundamentalist feudal reactionaries are acting like fundamentalist feudal reactionaries.

As some itt have pointed out, their misogynist tendencies are not even particularly religiously motivated. It's some Pashtun tribal baggage. And they have already made concession on other issues.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Alchenar posted:

Less than 10 years really. Think about Malala, the then-13 year old girl pulled from a bus and shot in the head by the Taliban for blogging and seeking an education.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Wheeljack posted:

Less than 10 years really. Think about Malala, the then-13 year old girl pulled from a bus and shot in the head by the Taliban for blogging and seeking an education.

I'm sure the distinction doesn't matter to anyone outside the region but that was the TTP, not the Islamic Emirate.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

GABA ghoul posted:

As some itt have pointed out, their misogynist tendencies are not even particularly religiously motivated. It's some Pashtun tribal baggage. And they have already made concession on other issues.

It's worth quoting that excellent New Yorker article on this:

quote:

All the women I met in Sangin, though, seemed to agree that their rights, whatever they might entail, cannot flow from the barrel of a gun—and that Afghan communities themselves must improve the conditions of women. Some villagers believe that they possess a powerful cultural resource to wage that struggle: Islam itself. “The Taliban are saying women cannot go outside, but there is actually no Islamic rule like this,” Pazaro told me. “As long as we are covered, we should be allowed.” I asked a leading Helmandi Taliban scholar where in Islam was it stipulated that women cannot go to the market or attend school. He admitted, somewhat chagrined, that this was not an actual Islamic injunction. “It’s the culture in the village, not Islam,” he said. “The people there have these beliefs about women, and we follow them.” Just as Islam offers fairer templates for marriage, divorce, and inheritance than many tribal and village norms, these women hope to marshal their faith—the shared language across their country’s many divides—to carve out greater freedoms.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'm sure the distinction doesn't matter to anyone outside the region but that was the TTP, not the Islamic Emirate.

It's confusing because both the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan and Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan are commonly referred to as "the Taliban" in the west, but yeah, different organizations.

Even the IEoA isn't monolithic. The Southern or "main" Taliban originated in Kandahar and consists to my understanding mostly of members the Durrani Pashtun tribe, while the Haqqani network originates from the khyber Pakhtunkhwa region in Pakistan and is mostly Zadran Pashtun.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

It's confusing because both the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan and Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan are commonly referred to as "the Taliban" in the west, but yeah, different organizations.

Even the IEoA isn't monolithic. The Southern or "main" Taliban originated in Kandahar and consists to my understanding mostly of members the Durrani Pashtun tribe, while the Haqqani network originates from the khyber Pakhtunkhwa region in Pakistan and is mostly Zadran Pashtun.

and again, the organization in Afghanistan was entirely destroyed and rebuilt afterwards. I understand the temptation to generalize middle eastern factions premised on Jihad as all equivalent but that really ignores the context.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

How about mass evictions?

The two sources given for this are Raihana Azad and a fellow from Gizab. I'm not sure the former is impartial seeing as she's quoted as describing the killings of 13 people as "mass killings" and is a member of the political class. Gizab district was the site of an anti Taliban uprising in 2010 so people being there being punished by the new regime is hardly surprising and explainable without ethnic motivations. This of course doesn't mean that it doesn't have racist motivations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
drat she described a mass killing of 13 people as a mass killing??

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
well, if there was an uprising there once 10 years ago, I guess collective punishment is fine

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

well, if there was an uprising there once 10 years ago, I guess collective punishment is fine

what

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I was responding to this insane statement:

Weka posted:

Gizab district was the site of an anti Taliban uprising in 2010 so people being there being punished by the new regime is hardly surprising

In a glib, ironic fashion

Weka
May 5, 2019

Herstory Begins Now posted:

drat she described a mass killing of 13 people as a mass killing??

It's not a mass killing in common English parlance, 13 is not a large number of people.
Mass killing is also a term of art. The person who used the phrase has a politics degree so there's a pretty good chance she was being disingenuous.

wikipedia - mass killing posted:

Mass killing – referencing earlier definitions,[nb 1] Joan Esteban, Massimo Morelli, and Dominic Rohner define mass killings as "the killings of substantial numbers of human beings, when not in the course of military action against the military forces of an avowed enemy, under the conditions of the essential defenselessness and helplessness of the victims."[22] Valentino defines the term as "the intentional killing of a massive number of noncombatants",[23] where a "massive number" is at least 50,000 intentional deaths over the course of five years or less;[24] this is the most accepted quantitative minimum threshold for the term.[22][25]

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

I'm not suggesting it was fine but that it may have had motivations other than racist ones. It is not insane to suggest that it's to be expected that the Taliban will settle scores like this. It's insane not to expect that.
And it was not a collective punishment based on that report, it was targeted. Plus the 2 accidents.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Weka posted:

It's not a mass killing in common English parlance, 13 is not a large number of people.

I don't believe this is true. Even just a cursory search online reveals the term "mass killing" being used in contexts where the term is referring to low double-digit or even single digit deaths:

Encyclopedia of Forensic Sciences posted:

According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), serial murder is defined as the unlawful killing of two or more victims by the same offender(s), in separate events. These murders may occur over a period of days, weeks, months, or even years. This is in contrast to mass murder where, according to the FBI, four or more persons are killed at one time. In the United States, mass murders occur approximately every 10–14 days, which include both public killings and domestic mass killings. Serial murder, however, is usually not as noticeable at the outset but becomes more visible to the public as news of bodies being found are reported by the media.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780123821652000350

Here is an example of an article using it as a synonym for "mass murder", defined as "two or more victims".

The Independent posted:

Four people found dead inside SUV in Wisconsin cornfield in suspected mass killing
Police are treating incident outside rural town as homicide
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/mass-killing-bodies-found-wisconsin-b1920012.html

Here is the term being used to refer to four deaths.

ABC posted:

The state of Texas won't pursue the death penalty against a man accused of killing eight people, including six children, back in 2015.

Authorities said David Conley is responsible for the deaths of the six children, as well as their mother, Valerie Jackson, and her husband, Dwayne Jackson. Their deaths were described as a pre-planned mass killing.
https://abc13.com/david-conley-mass-murder-in-spring-texas-6-children-killed-northwest-harris-county-slayings/11080463/

This is eight deaths described as a mass killing.

Global News, Canada posted:

About 50 people from the community of Debert, N.S., turned out to meet investigators from the commission of inquiry investigating the mass killing that claimed 22 lives in the central and northern parts of Nova Scotia last year.
https://globalnews.ca/news/8223568/nova-scotia-shooting-inquiry-open-house/

A mass shooting that killed 22 is described as a mass killing.

World Socialist posted:

That same year, 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz opened fire at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, killing 17 and injuring 17 others. The shooting triggered nationwide walkouts by students and the March for Our Lives demonstrations demanding action be taken on gun control legislation.

School shootings happen with frightening regularity in the United States with an average of approximately two every month in recent years. Students and teachers are regularly put through “active shooter” drills to prepare them for the possibility that someone will turn a gun on them to carry out a mass killing.
https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2021/10/07/fiit-o07.html

And here, another article that clearly considers "mass killing" to be a synonym for "mass shooting" or "mass murder".

Now it may be that it has a specific technical definition in specific contexts, but I think this is a fairly solid indicator that in common English parlance, "mass killing" is a reasonable term to use to describe the murder of 13 people.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is this really the hill to mass die on? On how many corpses make a "mass" killing?

Weka
May 5, 2019

I guess you're right about it being used in smaller numbers. I still stand by my claim a member of the last government might not be the most impartial source. Like maybe the Taliban is making GBS threads all over Hazara but I'm going to reserve my judgment just yet based on this article alone.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021
https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/taliban-praise-suicide-bombers-offer-families-cash-land-2021-10-20/

quote:

Sirajuddin Haqqani, the acting interior ministry who has a $10 million U.S. bounty on his head as a "specially designated global terrorist", met the families at a ceremony at the Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul, which was itself targeted by suicide bombers in 2018.

Official photographs of the meeting on Tuesday obscured his face.

"In his speech, the minister praised the Jihad and sacrifices of the martyrs and Mujahidin and called them heroes of Islam and the country," the ministry said in a statement on Twitter.

Families of the suicide bombers were given clothing, 10,000 afghani ($111) and promised plots of land, spokesman Qari Sayeed Khosti said.

I'm sure that'll sort of policy from that sort of person will help keep the foreign aid rolling in and show that they're a kinder, gentler Taliban.

Seems like a bad idea for their government to be praising suicide bombers when ISIS-K is sending them to blow up mosques in an effort to undermine the Taliban.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Wheeljack posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/taliban-praise-suicide-bombers-offer-families-cash-land-2021-10-20/

I'm sure that'll sort of policy from that sort of person will help keep the foreign aid rolling in and show that they're a kinder, gentler Taliban.

Seems like a bad idea for their government to be praising suicide bombers when ISIS-K is sending them to blow up mosques in an effort to undermine the Taliban.

Praising people who sacrificed their lives for the cause and (if possible) compensating their families is a pretty fundamental part of maintaining a loyal fighting force. After sending people off to go suicide bomb, they can't just sweep the suicide bombers under the rug and pretend they never existed. The families, friends, and fellow fighters of those dead suicide bombers wouldn't look kindly on it, and that matters a lot more than what the defeated Americans might think halfway across the world.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Wheeljack posted:

The US praises "gold star families" for the sacrifice in a war where we killed vastly more civilians than a suicide bomber ever has or ever will.

It's gross for sure, but it's all in how you sell it.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Those men died heroes.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
Shouldn't we allow the anti-imperialist PoCs Taliban decide how many people they can kill before it's a mass killing instead of being racist by imposing white people definition of mass killng on them?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Alchenar posted:

In particular I want nobody to be surprised when they are not civil policymakers, city managers, economic managers, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Apparently the leadership of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan is staying out of sight because of the risk of assassination by ISKP, while struggling to stamp out banditry committed by its troops.

al-Jazeera posted:

The supreme leader of the Taliban, Haibatullah Akhunzada, has warned the group that there may be “unknown” entities among their ranks who are “working against the will of the government”.
---
The Taliban’s supreme leader has not been seen in public since the group seized power nearly three months ago, capturing the Afghan capital of Kabul on August 15 and declaring an Islamic emirate as US forces withdrew following a decades-long occupation.
---
Since the Taliban took control of the country, its leadership has repeatedly warned of impostors and criminals joining the group in an effort to harm its image.
---
In recent months, the Taliban has expanded its recruitment as it seeks to fulfil a pledge to maintain security in the country. But the group has faced a series of deadly attacks from rivals, including the Islamic State in Khorasan Province, ISKP (ISIS-K) armed group, an ISIL-affiliate.
---
The Taliban also declared a nationwide amnesty and promised to allow private media companies to continue to operate freely and independently. However, there have been reports of some Taliban fighters allegedly abusing journalists, and others have been accused of forcibly seizing property in several provinces.

Following the reports, Akhunzada’s office issued a decree in late September banning the group’s members from entering homes and offices “in Kabul or its surroundings under the pretext of checking vehicles or equipment. No one is allowed to take vehicles or equipment” in the name of the Afghan government, it said.

However, there have been continued reports of Taliban fighters forcing hundreds of families out of their homes in the central province of Daikondi.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/11/4/afghanistan-taliban-leader-warns-against-turncoats-infiltrators

People in the countryside are somewhat optimistic now that the the air strikes and firefights have stopped, but the worsening economy and spectre of famine is eroding confidence in the regime.

https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2021/11/9/photos-taliban-rule-peace-rural-afghanistan-farmers