Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Extra Credits did a short series on Ibn Battuta if you want to know more.

Honestly most missions feel kinda low effort so this one doesn't surprise me. Maybe they expected players to attempt to make human soldiers or there was supposed to be a Krios faction of Atlanteans attacking as well but it got removed for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
It feels like Ensemble dumped all their map making resources into beautifying primarily the second and one upcoming map we haven't seen yet.

I like how Ajax and Amanra have more blinged out versions of their base game outfits, having worked up their way to be king of Salamis and queen of Nubia respectively.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Asehujiko posted:

It feels like Ensemble dumped all their map making resources into beautifying primarily the second and one upcoming map we haven't seen yet.

I like how Ajax and Amanra have more blinged out versions of their base game outfits, having worked up their way to be king of Salamis and queen of Nubia respectively.

I agree about the new outfits being fun.

I think they made a lot of the other maps very pretty too; they're much more polished than the original campaign ones in general when it comes to appearances.

But they didn't spend enough time testing and balancing the gameplay. Honestly, some of the missions that were great because they were challenging (like 1, 2, 4, and 8) might be the result of bad testing. Maybe the designers wanted them to be as easy as the bad ones, I just don't know.

Melth fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 4, 2021

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

One interesting final element of the Prometheus myth is that in some later myths (well, actually all I can think off is Aeschylus's Prometheus Bound, don't know whether he created it from whole cloth or drew on existing stories) is that Prometheus is released because he agrees to share a prophesy with the Gods -- namely, that Thetis' son would be greater than his father, which leads to the marriage of Peleus and Thetis and the Trojan War.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Smiling Knight posted:

One interesting final element of the Prometheus myth is that in some later myths (well, actually all I can think off is Aeschylus's Prometheus Bound, don't know whether he created it from whole cloth or drew on existing stories) is that Prometheus is released because he agrees to share a prophesy with the Gods -- namely, that Thetis' son would be greater than his father, which leads to the marriage of Peleus and Thetis and the Trojan War.

That is interesting! I think I read that once too, but I can't remember whether it was a separate source from Aeschylus or not.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
It's the big one at last!

The New Atlantis 8: Cerberus

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
My god. I had no idea this map was so incredibly broken.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

BlazetheInferno posted:

My god. I had no idea this map was so incredibly broken.

I think that qualifies you to be one of their developers!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Now that's just being mean.

On the other hand, it is true that there's a certain sloppiness showing up in the plot (and maps).

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
AoM's first expansion pack is kinda slapdash. Supposedly they planned the new race to be Rome, but for whatever reason partway through development switched to Atlantis. This is why so many Atlantean units have a decidedly Roman look underneath a few cosmetic alterations. The Destroyer, for example, is clearly a Legionary with a trident.

If there was a sudden big shift partway through development, that would explain why the later campaign missions are rather thrown together.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Loxbourne posted:

AoM's first expansion pack is kinda slapdash. Supposedly they planned the new race to be Rome, but for whatever reason partway through development switched to Atlantis. This is why so many Atlantean units have a decidedly Roman look underneath a few cosmetic alterations. The Destroyer, for example, is clearly a Legionary with a trident.

If there was a sudden big shift partway through development, that would explain why the later campaign missions are rather thrown together.

That's interesting! I always assumed it was a deliberate choice from the beginning to make Atlantis have a mix of both Roman (especially gladiator) units and Incan/Mayan architecture and llamas as part of their lore implying that all those civilizations descend from their colonies.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

It never clicked that the Atlantians have Incan/Mayan influence in their architecture.

Now that we're in an Age of... renaissance, I really want an AOM2 featuring way more old and new world mythologies.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Soylent Pudding posted:

It never clicked that the Atlantians have Incan/Mayan influence in their architecture.

Now that we're in an Age of... renaissance, I really want an AOM2 featuring way more old and new world mythologies.

I can understand wanting more mythologies included, but I don't think I do upon consideration.

One of the main things that makes me like this game whereas I don't like AoE3 or most other RTSes is how distinct all the civilizations are.

The more that get put into the game, the more likely that they'll go the AoE3 or AoE2 route and just make everyone 95% the same with a couple of unique units. I would hate that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There is a mod in the works that aims to add the major Mesoamerican civs, they've been making good progress on the Aztecs.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-return-of-the-gods

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Mordja posted:

There is a mod in the works that aims to add the major Mesoamerican civs, they've been making good progress on the Aztecs.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-return-of-the-gods
Oh, this looks amazing!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Just figured out a way to beat mission 10 with 0 casualties, so I think that'll be my approach

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
The New Atlantis 9: Rampage

No casualties on the norse titan mission!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
The New Atlantis 10: Making Amends

Zero casualties taking down Prometheus and talking Roman history!

Melth fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 12, 2021

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
That's the wrong link, that one just goes to video 9 again.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Tombot posted:

That's the wrong link, that one just goes to video 9 again.

Huh, that's the second time that happened recently. I could have sworn I'd pasted in the new link. In any case, thank you for pointing that out.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I like the theory that the Syracusans didn't actually build a ship-burning mirror, but they might have said they were going to and traded on Archimedes' reputation.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I like the fact that they built one on Mythbusters.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

FoolyCharged posted:

I like the fact that they built one on Mythbusters.

How did using that one go? I think I'd read a study on it done at some university.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

They managed to start a fire on a small boat, but it took way too long to be useful and the range the boat needed to be at was so dismally short it would have been more practical to just use flaming arrows.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

They managed to start a fire on a small boat, but it took way too long to be useful and the range the boat needed to be at was so dismally short it would have been more practical to just use flaming arrows.

I thought flaming arrows were themselves kinda a myth.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

WarpedLichen posted:

I thought flaming arrows were themselves kinda a myth.
Well, there are reports of them in medieval times... in China.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
You wouldn't need to set the boat on fire to render it combat ineffective, merely give the marines standing on it a heatstroke, which requires an order of magnitude less energy, well within the capabilities of a bronze mirror.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

FoolyCharged posted:

Is there a reason one couldn't use both? I would imagine that after setting up the mirror, you would only need a crew of a few people to aim it, and they wouldn't need to be trained archers.

The fact that the technique didn't catch on even though the fundamental principle was understood in ancient times and mirror-making got better and better suggests that it wasn't very practical though of course.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One of the most plausible theories is that the mirrors Archimedes supposedly made weren't for setting ships on fire, but as an early form of searchlight, using fires as the source of light, that the Greeks used to spot Roman ships approaching at night or in bad weather so their defenses could engage despite the poor visibility. More a military adaptation of lighthouses than anything.

That's the kind of "incredibly useful, but also remarkably mundane" thing that tends to get turned into something more exciting in legend.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
The New Atlantis 11: Atlantis Betrayed

What is the best onomatopoeia for the sound automata make when they die? I'd go with "Hurrrr!"

Science may never know what sounds my units would make if they died.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

That ai was certainly something

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This is, in my book, the prettiest map in the game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Melth posted:

What is the best onomatopoeia for the sound automata make when they die? I'd go with "Hurrrr!"
Maybe in all caps to get the volume of it? And of course in this mission it's more of a HURRR! HURRR! HURRR! HURRR!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'm always irrationally annoyed at how it's practically impossible to get to the northern base before the outer gate is destroyed, leaving a really ugly hole in the AI-owned wall that can't be fixed by rebuilding it manually because it won't blend in.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Asehujiko posted:

I'm always irrationally annoyed at how it's practically impossible to get to the northern base before the outer gate is destroyed, leaving a really ugly hole in the AI-owned wall that can't be fixed by rebuilding it manually because it won't blend in.

I know what you mean! It's even worse if one of those bugs I mentioned happens and some other gates start off either dead or so close to death that there's no way to save it.

Poil posted:

Maybe in all caps to get the volume of it? And of course in this mission it's more of a HURRR! HURRR! HURRR! HURRR!

I considered naming the video something like that but then decided that it wouldn't make sense to enough people

FoolyCharged posted:

That ai was certainly something

It was something awful I'd say!

(Out of curiosity, where did that name come from?)

Melth fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 28, 2021

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It always sounded like some sort of "AWWURR" cry to me.

Melth posted:

(Out of curiosity, where did that name come from?)

https://www.vice.com/en/article/nzg4yw/gently caress-you-and-die-an-oral-history-of-something-awful

Lowtax posted:

Kyanka: "Something Awful" was a catchphrase that I used to use. As in, "Wow, that Del Taco burrito sure is something awful." One day I said, "I should really register that as a website." My friend said, "What are you going to put there?" I said, "I don't know, I just really want to register it. So I did, and I moved my original site I had on Tripod.com since back in 1996 called RK Central and put the stuff on [SA], which included my old ICQ pranks and things like that.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
After 5 years, it's time to finish the final mission:

The New Atlantis 12: War of the Titans

I'll defeat Kronos without killing him with Gaia and wrap up this excellent expansion campaign.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Five years later and Age of Mythology is finally wrecked completely :toot:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's always fun to watch someone pick up a game and show not really how it is played but more how it is solved, nice work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Congratulations, it was an amazing LP :) I'd be extremely interested in seeing you take on Dark Souls.