Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I hate this mission. It has even soured me on Plenty since I never realized the vaults in this one were weaker. On retrospect, it's probably caused by the fact I always just turtled at the start and never really relied on cavalry.
Gotta say fortifying the middle of the map like that was impressive as hell, especially that first fight around the palaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You absolute maniac.
So, do you have those speedrun times recorded somewhere? Is there even a community speedrunning RTS games?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that never ceases to amaze me.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I like this mission a lot, all the options make for an extremely welcome change from the linear snorefests that was the non-building missions in the base game.

Cyclops/Valkyrie/Hydra was my usual army composition for this, nice to see it done with manticores.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, some quick googling tells me Ibn Battuta wrote his name as أبو عبد الله محمد ابن عبد الله اللواتيا لطنجي ابن بطوطة which seems to translate to "Abu Abdullah Muhammad Ibn Abdullah Al Lawati Al Tanji Ibn Battuta" which seems to be more of a set of identifiers than a name; then again, in the Middle Ages people quite often identified themselves by the place where there from and what their ancestors were up to.

And a splendid episode, as always.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

WarpedLichen posted:

I thought flaming arrows were themselves kinda a myth.
Well, there are reports of them in medieval times... in China.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Carpator Diei posted:

Congratulations, it was an amazing LP :) I'd be extremely interested in seeing you take on Dark Souls.
:same:
This was really good. Also can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Chinese units.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Chinese unit roster; frankly can't really make heads or tails of that faction.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Wow the lack of quality was not a joke. :catstare:
It gets worse every single time you see a new mythic unit.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 11, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Carpator Diei posted:

On a possibly more positive note, I came across a mod that replaces the Chinese faction with Aztecs and looks rather impressive. It's always nice when modders outdo the source material, though in this case the bar wasn't exactly the highest.
This is looking really good. Maybe they'll do something like they did with Age of Empires 2 and turn some mods official in the remaster?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I always liked the idea of this mission on paper, but the execution is abysmal - this is where I always quit the Chinese campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
One thing I never noticed before - the gate to the underworld in the intro looks rather Egyptian. They couldn't even be bothered to update the model.