Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I'd definitely be up for it. Watching your Night Elf 3 video, I was not surprised that the answer to my conundrum was simply to git gud: know what you need, build it fast, gather 'round the healing spring and then steamroll through whatever's in you path in one go. I'd love to see a whole LP using lots of unconventional strategies like you used in the final undead mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Melth posted:

I think I've been convinced to do a run of the entire campaign, probably to start once I finish Age of Mythology in few weeks.

Wait was that not a reference to the old war movie with Clint Eastwood?

E: oh, this games campaign. Derp.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 17, 2021

Malah
May 18, 2015

Melth posted:

I think I've been convinced to do a run of the entire campaign, probably to start once I finish Age of Mythology in few weeks.
Hell yeah, this campaign owns and it's fun to watch someone demolish it

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Melth posted:

Really looking forward to this!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Come to think of it, I might have a chance to record a 2 player Skibi TD match in the next week. I think my brother and I are probably the world's leading experts on Skibi TD and I'll be visiting for a few days, so I'll ask if he still has WC3 installed on his computer.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I will never say no to seeing the old classic TDs played at high level.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
I have to assume that a significant number of the modders behind a lot of classic w3 custom maps have made their way to starcraft2 and its nascent arcade scene, which is somehow still seeing growth and new stuff in the past few years.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is it? I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the SC2 editor was completely gutted in functionality compared to the W3 one.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

anilEhilated posted:

Is it? I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the SC2 editor was completely gutted in functionality compared to the W3 one.

I remember booting up SC2, being incredibly disappointed in the offerings on hand, and going back to WC3.

Then Reforged showed up but I'm wondering if things have gotten better.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

anilEhilated posted:

I don't know about functionality, it seems to have a bunch of the same custom games that W3 had, but I don't know enough about both of them to say. That being said, a big thing is that SC2's editor as part of the Eula/terms and services explicitly allows blizzard to maintain control of your work so they can never have another Dota slip by again, which IIRC a bunch of people were pissed about (for good reason imo).

Anyway, there's a surprising number of parts of SC2 that are still alive, although that's partially because it went F2P and the co-op commanders modes somehow became huge. There's still custom game lobbies running at any given time of day on the Americas server, certainly.

sniper4625 posted:

I remember booting up SC2, being incredibly disappointed in the offerings on hand, and going back to WC3.

Then Reforged showed up but I'm wondering if things have gotten better.

OH! Yes, the early Arcade was pretty dire, it was released waaaay too early to be feature complete. I guess they've probably added a bunch since then, because like I said... a surprisingly large scene still putting out new stuff.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Not to mention there’s a been huge development in custom campaigns recently.
They figured out how to import custom campaigns into the regular campaign and use it as a framework.
The manager is currently being hosted on the GiantGrantGames discord, and it has two real scales campaigns, two rando ones, a troll one and nightmare edition, which has a difficulty increase as well as units rebalanced.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

anilEhilated posted:

Quite the opposite. It is substantially stronger, but that comes at the expense of user friendliness. It's a pain in the rear end to create a new unit compared to WC3, for example.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

FoolyCharged posted:

Quite the opposite. It is substantially stronger, but that comes at the expense of user friendliness. It's a pain in the rear end to create a new unit compared to WC3, for example.

Speaking as someone who did a lot of map-making in WC3, the idea of the new editor being less user friendly just sounds awful.

It took so long to do even basic things in the WC3 editor.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Special: Warchasers, 'Impossible' Singleplayer

Warchasers is a simple RPG included as a scenario with the base Warcraft 3 game. It was pretty fun and cool for the time, but it was balanced for four people. With two it's nearly impossible and with one it's truly impossible... unless you get creative.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Man, I remember slowly picking my way through that map alone until the tanks and the wonderful feeling I had when I realized it wasn't doable single player. I actually opened the map up in the editor and modified the map to get through the tanks solo. And then melth comes in god knows how many years later and drops a pair of infernals to clear it in a way that looked super reliable.

It was definitely a super popular map with the way it came with the game and was easily edited. I remember a bunch of variants that added in new heroes and such.

Seriously though, gently caress those tanks. The best part of melth's strat was it mitigated having to carefully manage immolate because those tanks have very limited mana and regen.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Man, I remember slowly picking my way through that map alone until the tanks and the wonderful feeling I had when I realized it wasn't doable single player. I actually opened the map up in the editor and modified the map to get through the tanks solo. And then melth comes in god knows how many years later and drops a pair of infernals to clear it in a way that looked super reliable.

It was definitely a super popular map with the way it came with the game and was easily edited. I remember a bunch of variants that added in new heroes and such.

Seriously though, gently caress those tanks. The best part of melth's strat was it mitigated having to carefully manage immolate because those tanks have very limited mana and regen.

It almost seems like using Infernals was intended for that, since the store is right there and doesn't have a limit on purchases, just a time limit!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You say that, but I honestly can't believe "sit in place for three minutes" was ever an intended design element. I don't think this map was ever playtested, really.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

anilEhilated posted:

You say that, but I honestly can't believe "sit in place for three minutes" was ever an intended design element. I don't think this map was ever playtested, really.

I'd bet it was playtested for 4 people, but not for fewer than that.

It feels pretty well balanced to be challenging but doable with good teamwork if you have four people. Once you know the map in and out it's easy with a good party of course, but still.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

You don't have to sit in place, you get one then come back after clearing the paths!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Chronische posted:

You don't have to sit in place, you get one then come back after clearing the paths!

I think the map makers probably envisioned a lot of sitting in place waiting to regen anyway.

Afterall, only 2 heroes can heal and neither of them has a ton of mana.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Is there a way I can keep this thread open when it might be a little while before the next update? I wouldn't want it to get automatically locked while I'm prioritizing my other LPs for a month or two.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Post infrequently.
That's it. every month or other month is fine.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
I've been pondering for a while what the best way for me to tackle the campaign would be.

I haven't figured out a way to balance
1) Challenge
2) Thoroughness. There are so many secrets or optional areas that are really time-consuming to get to
3) Speed.

With Age of Mythology I just kind of did whatever I felt like on each mission, going for efficient play as long as it hit all objectives in order, and adding challenges like speedrunning or getting 0 casualties mission by mission

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

put it to a vote in the thread? Or do separate videos like you did for Horde 3?

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Speed could be solved with some aggressive editing, but I also wouldn't mind longer videos as long as they stay interesting.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Wrap up any inconvenient/excessively out-of-the-way secrets in a post-victory segment or bonus video?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Has anyone here played the fan-made Dwarf Campaign by the way?

I loved the first 3 missions, and then as far as I'm aware it was never finished.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It was pretty cool, but my favourite custom campaigns were the Sin'dorei and Forsaken ones.

shame that custom campaign support got torpedoed by Reforged lmao

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I tried the Forsaken one but it was way too hard for little old "plays warcraft for the story" me. :(

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Melth posted:

Has anyone here played the fan-made Dwarf Campaign by the way?

I loved the first 3 missions, and then as far as I'm aware it was never finished.
I remember being stuck forever on the giant dwarf riddle.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I remember being stuck forever on the giant dwarf riddle.

I enjoyed the whole "Wait, was that actually the answer? I was just kidding." after that.

I got stuck in the third map, in the part where you had to perfectly repeat some incomprehensible Faceless One chanting. I still remember it was close to "Onaa Deenaah Nagenaah", but it was impossible to remember how many vowels you should or shouldn't repeat.

Coolest campaign I remember was one where you played as a Pit Lord hunting down runaway orcs, mainly because the creator had implemented a new resource system just for that campaign. Of course, a side effect was that the campaign pretty much only worked on v1.0, and was completely non-functional in later patches (IIRC the map wouldn't even start).

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

SirSamVimes posted:

It was pretty cool, but my favourite custom campaigns were the Sin'dorei and Forsaken ones.

shame that custom campaign support got torpedoed by Reforged lmao

Yeah, that ruined my own custom campaign (and a ton of other stuff). I never heard of those although I'd gone on a custom campaign kick for a while, playing lots of them.

Nostalgamus posted:

I enjoyed the whole "Wait, was that actually the answer? I was just kidding." after that.

I got stuck in the third map, in the part where you had to perfectly repeat some incomprehensible Faceless One chanting. I still remember it was close to "Onaa Deenaah Nagenaah", but it was impossible to remember how many vowels you should or shouldn't repeat.

Coolest campaign I remember was one where you played as a Pit Lord hunting down runaway orcs, mainly because the creator had implemented a new resource system just for that campaign. Of course, a side effect was that the campaign pretty much only worked on v1.0, and was completely non-functional in later patches (IIRC the map wouldn't even start).

Heh, yeah, I remember almost exactly the same Faceless One chanting stuff. I do think I figured out that part of the map and beat it a few times. I never did find a good strategy for beating the "Eye of the Inquisition" though. Just brute forcing it with terrible numbers of casualties, sending in reinforcements that got killed too, and so on.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Special: Skibi's Castle TD, No Leaks

Another special map, one I've always enjoyed a great deal. This map was a fun puzzle to crack years ago, one of the toughest I ever played.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

I always enjoyed the team games, or the asymmetric ones like Vampire Hunt or goofy stuff like Jurassic Park Survival. Never got into TD, always felt too passive to me. Even in this one, where you are pretty active about going out and using your hero abilities when you can, is just too passive for my taste. That said, getting that many different tower options is pretty silly! Even if it takes a while to unlock, it takes a bit out of the teamwork that the maps were designed around. Though, of course, you demonstrated that teamwork is clearly for other people.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm a fan of tower defense but I'm there to see hundreds of monsters get messed up by a screen filled top to bottom with particle effect spamming towers.

The minigames seem like they get in the way of that.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Chronische posted:

I always enjoyed the team games, or the asymmetric ones like Vampire Hunt or goofy stuff like Jurassic Park Survival. Never got into TD, always felt too passive to me. Even in this one, where you are pretty active about going out and using your hero abilities when you can, is just too passive for my taste. That said, getting that many different tower options is pretty silly! Even if it takes a while to unlock, it takes a bit out of the teamwork that the maps were designed around. Though, of course, you demonstrated that teamwork is clearly for other people.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The reason I hate most TDs is that they're too passive and one ends up just watching a bunch of sparklies and blood splatters on the screen, essentially watching a little cutscene that tells you whether you made the right choice or not in a choose-your-own-adventure of which 1-3 towers to build every round. Skibis in contrast is fast-paced, there's a lot of potential micro to do (especially on hard mode), and of course the minigames break up the monotony and ensure that player skill is a big factor in making money.

I really enjoy the massive variety of towers and it leads to fun combos, especially with teammates. On the other hand, I do find that for most strategies 80% of those towers are worthless and do little more than serve as red herrings. It's not like that for all races of course. A lot of the Scarlet Knight towers are genuinely useful in different ways and a good Military maze will use almost all their tower types. But for Tempest at least I think my strategy of teching up to Havocwings early and ignoring all other Tempest towers and instead using some Scarlet Knight for support is best.

I suppose a lot of strategy games have units or cards or abilities or whatever that mostly serve as distractions from the small number of genuinely useful options, testing player skill in discerning what actually matters. But that's less interesting than when multiple ones are genuinely valuable, or when combos are more powerful than any individual option.

As for teamwork though, teamwork is definitely very powerful on this map. As well as I did here in singleplayer, I can do even better with a partner or two as long as we can communicate in realtime. I've never been able to get more than 3 people to work together perfectly enough to succeed though.

Beartaco posted:

I'm a fan of tower defense but I'm there to see hundreds of monsters get messed up by a screen filled top to bottom with particle effect spamming towers.

The minigames seem like they get in the way of that.

I guess we enjoy the opposite things there. I see the monster massacre cutscene portion of TDs as mostly a waste of time, and the skill expression parts like minigames as the fun bit. I'm not surprised of course, I know TDs are a popular genre for a reason, but I've always disliked the passivity of most of them.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
The minigames are very cool and creative. I imagine they're a blast with a whole team of players.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Beartaco posted:

The minigames are very cool and creative. I imagine they're a blast with a whole team of players.

I liked the minigames in some of the Line Wars variants, too - a chance to recover, but also get an edge over the other team potentially.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Cool idea to show off this mission; I remember being rather impressed with it back then, but I didn't know it had so much depth to it.

Out of interest, have you tried some of the newer custom campaigns, such as the Revamp series or War of the Spider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I had a ton of fun with that map back in high school. I definitely never beat it; farthest I got was shortly after the second bonus round. There was... not an official forum, exactly, but it had a dedicated megathread on some Warcraft 3 site which I followed for a while. This would have been around 2004ish, when it was still a mod; I think Blizzard eventually hired the guy. I remember thinking he came across as standoffish, but that I couldn't entirely blame him because the questions and suggestions in the thread were almost always horrible. On the level of "omg a navy seal faction would be tight, lets gooooooo" and the like.