Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Man, I remember slowly picking my way through that map alone until the tanks and the wonderful feeling I had when I realized it wasn't doable single player. I actually opened the map up in the editor and modified the map to get through the tanks solo. And then melth comes in god knows how many years later and drops a pair of infernals to clear it in a way that looked super reliable.

It was definitely a super popular map with the way it came with the game and was easily edited. I remember a bunch of variants that added in new heroes and such.

Seriously though, gently caress those tanks. The best part of melth's strat was it mitigated having to carefully manage immolate because those tanks have very limited mana and regen.

It almost seems like using Infernals was intended for that, since the store is right there and doesn't have a limit on purchases, just a time limit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

You say that, but I honestly can't believe "sit in place for three minutes" was ever an intended design element. I don't think this map was ever playtested, really.

You don't have to sit in place, you get one then come back after clearing the paths!

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

I always enjoyed the team games, or the asymmetric ones like Vampire Hunt or goofy stuff like Jurassic Park Survival. Never got into TD, always felt too passive to me. Even in this one, where you are pretty active about going out and using your hero abilities when you can, is just too passive for my taste. That said, getting that many different tower options is pretty silly! Even if it takes a while to unlock, it takes a bit out of the teamwork that the maps were designed around. Though, of course, you demonstrated that teamwork is clearly for other people.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Beartaco posted:

The minigames are very cool and creative. I imagine they're a blast with a whole team of players.

I liked the minigames in some of the Line Wars variants, too - a chance to recover, but also get an edge over the other team potentially.