Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Thoguh posted:

Better wait six more months while the pandemic rages until there is time to collect more data and not act swiftly on the side of caution. We can't do anything hastily.

a fun retrospective would be a visualization of how much data other vaccines have been approved on compared to all the poo poo we have with these and how we aren’t doing anything.

make sure u get boosted to poo poo for shingles but uhhh a deadly pandemic? let’s just wait this one out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Der Meister posted:

I’m wondering if Pfizer found some real elevated rates of myocarditis/pericarditis in kids and is just trying to dilute it out with more patients

this is one of my concerns, it has been incredibly quiet on the front where you think there’d be a bit more urgency to keep news out there. Reality maybe they are scared to pull the trigger and hiding behind “well most kids don’t get that sick anyways” stats

Also does anyone have the link handy to the study or info graphic that shows antibody response vs. # of infections. I think for commons cold Corona it was something magical about like the 8th time you were exposed where after that the immune system generated max titers…so yea expect to get covid colds 5-8 times in the next decade IMO

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Fireside Nut posted:

jesus christ. can any doctor goons make me feel better about getting a booster now. did i just royally gently caress up

I’m not smart enough to know the science of N vs P and the spoke and all that, but if you look at the data from the real world it overwhelmingly shows that vaccinated people are protected vs. unvaccinated. if there was ADE, you’d see that flipped.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

obviously the answer is to never try to understand a chud with brain worms, but it is literally insane to think they are convinced taking an animal dewormer is an any way more legitimate than an FDA approved vaccine given to like hundreds of millions of people.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I looked at the last two weeks of death data and uhhh 16-29 year olds had a 15% growth in deaths and 20-29 years old had an 11% growth. everyone else was in single digits and decreasing a few % at each decade.

In raw numbers the olds had more deaths and were more vaccinated, but obviously there is some sad momentum going on with the younger and unvaccinated (probably something like 45% vaxxed)

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Schnorkles posted:

Schnorkwife had a fever last night, which all but confirms it at this point. Can basically check off the entire list of onset symptoms plus nausea.

Thankfully the little plane is a little stuffed up but otherwise motoring around unaffected.

we had a couple non covid colds run through the family in the past 6 months, even though we live basically a c-spam approved lockdown lifestyle.

The fever in an adult, however, is probably no bueno. the most we got were head cold symptoms.

At least get tested so you don’t have to guess, and remember to test like 2 or 3 times because every kid-to-parent transmission I heard of had a couple negatives! great for schools!!!

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I know there have been some email blasts for school boards and such, but I’m on the hunt for some data on how fast outbreaks are happening at open schools summaries.

For an overall “think of the children” thread, Feigl-Ding has a good one starting with a 3yr old on oxygen.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1428692825789587464

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Rynn posted:

some of the NYT’s greatest hits

this has the same energy as looking back on when RDJ did blackface in Tropic Thunder and crack pinging over what tHE gently caress was going on in this country

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

don’t worry my town listed out their priorities and one of them is “no symptomatic people in school” so it is good to know COVID can only be transmitted by visibly sick, coughing people :)

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

the hospitalizations and death data is a bit ???, but the case count given vaccination level matches to like an 80% effective vaccine

re: Michigan data

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

PerniciousKnid posted:

Picking up my kid from school, first day. Idling in a line of cars thinking about how much more cognizant I am of air quality nowadays.

This is a very interesting evolution of the pandemic for me - thinking about how much foreign poo poo we are exposed to. Like just watching my neighbors get their lawns blasted with roundup every 2 weeks, then seeing the kids playing and rolling in it.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

what’s the science behind UKs low death count from their delta surge(s)? is there something about the AZ that makes it more durable to delta - or just they have more people vaxxed?

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

wow at first I thought horse paste might be just us amplifying things but the amount of real life interactions people in this very thread have had with believers is uhhhh not good

To the PE teacher, could it hurt to ask the kid why his eyes hurt or if like his parents are giving him any new medicine or something? I don’t know what the boundary for teacher-student is but it might be worth asking.

also we get West Nile virus hits every summer up here in New England. I wouldn’t say it was ever a real reason for worry other than try not to get bit in case you get unlucky, but it has to be like lottery tickets odds

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 25, 2021

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

the government suggesting 6 month boosters is not to save lives, the vaccine after 6 months is still very effective at that.

it’s because they got so loving hard at the idea of a 80% VE-against-infection vaccine being “close enough” to sterilizing immunity that they decided we will open Biden in perpetuity, and so people need those boosters so that the surge back to 80%+ VE will once again be good enough to not have to mandate any NPIs or shut down Applebee’s
or do more than cry about a “pandemic of the unvaccinated” as kids continue to count less than farmed minks or some poo poo

e: also so they don’t have to go through the taxing mental process of approving a delta vax instead of just boosting with wild type or whatever

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Pillowpants posted:

HHS data 8/26

ICUs with >4% increase in patients 8/20-8/26: 9 states
ICUs with 2-3% increase in patients 8/20-8/26: 14 states
ICUs with 0-2% increase in patients 8/20-8/26: 17 states
ICUS with a decrease in patients or shoddy data: 10 states

Hospitalizations
The Raw data seems to indicate that New England is about to popoff. If MA has 87% of its beds full, that seems like a problem.

I’m not so sure of that yet. the places going nuts have COVID taking up 18%+ of beds and test positivity like 15%+. New England is more like 3% of beds and test positivity of like 4-5%. And it may be decelerating.

I’m not saying it won’t be a surge, but I don’t think we will look like the South anytime soon.

*screenshots for 3 wks from now*

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Zurtilik posted:

My co-worker finally got vaxxed. So that's nice.

it’s the little things that are nice now. I have to work in a lab with someone for about an hour today, and found myself thinking about times since vax to ballpark where the titers are at. I’m about 4 months past fully vax and the other person is about 2 months?

So, yea, that’s nice I guess

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Mr Hootington posted:

Covid is over

thank god I was getting a little worried that I may have to cancel weekly burgs and brews with the crew down at Applebee’s

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Thoguh posted:

My vaxxed aunt died last week and my vaxxed Grandfather in law died today so, uh, thanks NDG. Glad for the minimization.

Sorry to hear about your losses, and all that comes with a pandemic funeral :(

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

My governor went to Kentucky to try to learn about what is going right and wrong there w/r/t a delta surge so that maybe we do things better here. In publicity photos he was wearing a cloth mask.

He cancelled meetings today because he “isn’t feeling well and will get tested for COVID”

Lol learn to not travel and wear a respirator dude

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I mean at this point you can basically just draw meaningful conclusions from macro-level data. The vaccine is very good against infection, but not sterilizing, for about 5 months, so you should wear a mask. After 5 months it gets worse, so wear a mask and also probably limit exposure to large groups of people indoors. Probably get a booster. Maybe it gets better when a Delta variant vaccine comes out.

The vaccine has always been great against hospitalization, but there is a chance you could get breakthrough so follow points above.

I mean that’s basically it. The only calculus left is if boosters or a delta specific vaccine somehow get to long term sterilizing/near sterilizing immunity, if they provide enough infection resistance to get through winter periods, and if boosting every 6-12 months is safe. I guess it could also be looked at if something like novavax reduces the risk of myocarditis as a side effect.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Mmm got my crack ping out of the way early this morning - great!

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1433059147138748419?s=20

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Pulcinella posted:

Sooooooo what’s the status of vaccine approval for the under 12 kids? Otherwise me and the relatives will have to try a “3 kids in a trenchcoat” approach for ours.

The former FDA guy from the Pfizer board says no application submitted until late October for 5-11 y/o so maybe end of year or early next year, but it has been continually sliding.

Petey can chime in cuz he brought it up before, or someone else who listens to TWIV, but it sounds like maybe some doctors are giving Pfizer to kids near 12 years old because it is fully approved and they can do that.

I think in this thread we assume that there is probably some risk of heightened myocarditis for other side effect that is causing a delay. It could as just be neoliberal scientists needing a fuckton of data. Who knows, talk to ur doc.

E: beaten, but first post snype. Check out the last one for a few other complimentary posts.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Pryor on Fire posted:

https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/1433127055047241732

The dearth of leadership or any real response to covid has led to everyone just choosing their own adventure around the virus based on their own personal pet peeves.

Participating in this country and economy loving sucks

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

mod sassinator posted:

i'm not convinced we could live with it being endemic either. 7-10% hospitalization rate, 1 in 3 to 1 in 12 rate for long covid complications... this would just keep the healthcare world constantly crippled. the flu is only 1% hospitalization rate for reference

Post-school adults are to be offered to number, they can choose a vaccine or not. 12+ in school may at least be forced to get vaccinated. Under 6s could very well not end up with a fully approved vaccine and widespread use (like MMR, Hep A etc.), so they will be offered to number by way of daycare as their parents need to work.

Capital will set up cottage long covid therapeutics and treatment centers to print dollar bills for decades to come.

Yay we solved social security, oops we have a persistent health crisis - why aren’t these drat millennials and Zoomers staffing my favorite restaurants??? LAZY KIDS

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I mean I guess another path that may be a bit more likely is that we end up with a huge supply of banging antibodies and attached to every pharmacy is a covid clinic so when you inevitably test positivity you can just cram it in your veins

This would mean some coordinated testing approach but I’m sure that won’t be a problem

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Mr Hootington posted:

Tides are shifting for the public regardless of what the enemies of the people MSM, rich, and government say.
https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1433406158904172547?s=19

I’m seeing this even up in New England. Some of our BD guys who literally live to travel are trying to pack in their final trips this month “before things get real crazy” - as if that isn’t happening already

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

It can not be stressed enough that there are a lot of scared people that are powerless, and the majority of those in power are running based on the falsehoods “if you are unvaccinated it’s your fault” and “kids don’t get that sick”

Only trust ur respirator or something

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I mean part of the kids thing is also just avoidance. Like I’m not saying it’s good, but I remember back in March of last year having conversations with people with fear in their eyes and them saying “well at least the data from China says it isn’t killing the babies”

And basically clung to that since for either mental or straight survival (having to put kids on care to work) reasons

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Jon Irenicus posted:

buried in a part of the daily COVID report for CT is the fact that 31% of positive tests are for vaccinated individuals. seems like we should be talking about this in the media???

In highly vaccinated locations you expect a certain percentage to be in vaccinated individuals and those are anticipated breakthroughs. It’s like wearing a seat belt, a large percentage of people are going to get hurt in car accidents while wearing a seat belt, because most people are wearing one

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

McNugget Buddy posted:

Didn't we just learn that Delta infection only gives you like 8 weeks of natural immunity

If we're not locking down for 8 weeks, then won't it just keep reinfecting the same people over and over again

lol natural immunity. USA is crossing their fingers hoping that vaccination and 2 or 3 mild infections will result in it being the common cold. yknow without any hard data to show this is true and will happen

neolib scientists and politicians who went whole hog on “look the vaccine prevents infection, open Biden” are seeing Delta gently caress their poo poo up and so a rolling back to “well we really just wanted to prevent hospitalization and death, and preventing infection is a super power that we didn’t think we’d have and so the vaccines are actually very good” without even once acknowledging the immunocompromised, those with comorbidities, the elderly, and children

so get vaccinated and hope it becomes a cold or maybe get a booster or like whatever and maybe by next spring it will just be like a cold or something - we ARE NOT shutting down the Applebee’s

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Louisgod posted:

my kids are going back to school this Friday, what are the best and not insanely expensive at-home COVID tests I can buy so when I get the inevitable "a child in your classroom has been exposed to COVID" email I can act right away

I have never used one but I believe Binax is your option.

Just be aware that anecdotally it sounds like testing on kids is extremely hit or miss so I’d read up on it a bit and make sure your timing is decent.

Also - calling Petey - when do you think the brain trust will have Airpops tested? it’s been my go to since you posted it.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I can’t loving believe I’m doomscrolling and looking through Twitter trying to find Israeli scientists with data on vaccine(booster) effectiveness 10 loving months after I did the same exact thing when the vaccine first came out, and I’m fully vaccinated

yo gently caress covid but also open Biden

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Petey posted:

i hate to do this but after being murdered with work (back to school!! lol) for the last 48 hours i'm 2200 posts behind, so i'm declaring thread bankruptcy, and if there is any actionable/pragmatic "you really need to know THIS" from the last few days i would appreciate a quick tl;dr either in the thread or via DM, tyvm friends

Any results on airpop testing?

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I can’t find in OP any discussion on kids masks that are better than cloth with disney prints. what is out there?

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

McNugget Buddy posted:

KF94's from BeHealthy seem to be the common recommendation for kids:

https://behealthyusa.net/collections/small

Bonafide Masks also has generic white KN95's for cheap:

https://bonafidemasks.com/powecom-kn95-sm-respirator-mask-10-masks-per-pack/

ahhh great - thanks!

also a friends grandfather died from breakthrough. probably 6 or 7 months post vax, 85 y/o, avoided going to the hospital for like 2 weeks because he didn’t want it. So seems like that state level data is suggesting m, unsurprisingly, the elderly are being the brunt of breakthrough deaths. Wonder how much is waning immunity and just straight up old age vulnerability.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

PostNouveau posted:

Thinking some of these people couldn't afford to lose the 7 IQ points

https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/1435994955776942091

lol this guy could get two shots and be super immune

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I think most large companies self insure, meaning they actually pay the costs of healthcare.

the last thing these CEOs want is to watch profits go towards health care for COVID people in the ICU for months because they won’t get a shot. they also don’t want to be liable for claims that the workspace caused covid. they also don’t want to implement NPI because then they can’t crank out product

so the next time someone bitches and moans, let them know that actually strong America capitalism did this and Biden is doing the rich a favor by letting them shrug and go “the bad government did it”

addendum, healthcare providers also definitely don’t want it because it takes away high profit procedures and replaces it with slow death and employee burnout (not that they care about mental health but they can’t profit if they don’t have people)

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 9, 2021

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

ok like it is tough for me to really be positive about government to things but just a big lol that this 78 year old man is just like “gently caress it were leaving Afghanistan” while everyone cries and is now mandating vaccines. amazing

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

don’t worry according the Glassdoor she was only probably making ~$200-250k. gently caress I’m doing something wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Gio posted:

just had a student leave my classroom with a fever and trouble breathing

this is fine

sick kids don’t go to class it’s the rule so you just be mistaken