Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

meet girls at the store posted:

My office Open Bidened at 8:00 this morning with a celebratory staff breakfast. It’s now 11:39, somebody has tested positive, and they’re scrambling to do contact tracing for the breakfast party. Life comes at you fast.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I didn’t even get to say bye to the old thread, just like how millions of people won’t be able to say bye to their dying oxygen deprived loved ones as they frantically try to find them an open hospital bed that doesn’t exist.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1427256227860553731?s=21

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

corona familiar posted:

friend got an ad for this

apparently they require you to take a photo of your 100% Genuine card and then they'll print you a plastic one

seems legit. lol. lmao

lol how much do they charge for that completely unofficial thing that i'm sure costs pennies to make

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Pillowpants posted:

How do you even see that info?

you have to count them all up by hand

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i wasn't even in the top 30 in the last thread

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Asproigerosis posted:

hey SNL writers I know you're reading this thread I got a goo skit for you

*office workers in the office talking about how great it is to be back in the office away from that awful WFH, seeing people smiling, kids in school, etc when suddenly a bunch of dudes in biohazard suits burst in*

Everyone get down, we're from the CDC and we've tracked a deadly Ligma variant here to this office!

panicked and frightened, one of the crying office workers looks to one of the biobros with tears in his eyes and asks wait what is ligma?

CDC guy pulls off his helmet and says to him ligma BALLS! hahahah then they high five each other

then the guy is like wait a minute you guys aren't really from the CDC are you?

To which bio guy 1 replies of course we are from the CDC. The CD--- eeez nuts!!!

you're welcome

lol

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
we gotta stick together

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

hey that just happens some times

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

corona familiar posted:

9 ambulance sirens since morning. i don't live next to a hospital. cool and normal

edit: 10

edit: 11

on npr today they had some story about how the emergency responder system is being overloaded and then joking said "have you tried calling 911 lately?" and i did not think that was very funny

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i got turned away from CVS yesterday while trying to get a third shot even tho I literally told them i was immunocompromised

not as fool-proof as you would think

I have a feeling a lot of people are starting to do it and they are catching wise

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

we actually don't live in a society

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Thoguh posted:

Just did my usual grocery curbside pickup and it was easily ten times as busy as usual. Half the time I've been the only car there since March or April.

more people are starting to get scared. at some point you get a critical mass where all you see is scared people which is even more scary, and that's a panic

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I don't understand how everyone is just resigned to get this deadly pandemic virus. viruses can be really bad! This is one of those! It fucks up your lungs really bad and those are important for a whole ton of things.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Vishass posted:

Woah what?!

i know i think people haven't heard that before? a lot of them think it's just the flu (a virus they either have never gotten or are misremembering the severity of). someone should tell the CDC or something, i think they would be good at correcting people about this dangerous misunderstanding

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
man you guys sort of said what i was going to say already. glad we're all on the same page here.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
pretty crazy that basically no one understands anything about this pandemic including the most basic terminology even after we've been suffering from it for 18 months! i feel like a good population of people have learned absolutely nothing since april 2020 but also they are arrogant and stubborn and believe that learning anything ever is impossible.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

mod sassinator posted:

washington state is on fire, hospitalizations for the state just passed their winter surge peak and have zero sign of stopping

case counts are skyrocketing exponentially too

pretty drat strange we have so much more hospitalizations now relative to cases compared to the winter surge!

also king county is still shooting up and about a week away from blowing past its winter surge hospitalizations. this is one of the best vaccincated areas in the country!

mask mandate when Gov. Inslee!???

zero signs of stopping?? clearly those lines go back down at the end, so its already over. no need to do anything

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Look, sometimes you just have to get diabetes and/or permanent brain fog from a preventable illness. Do you realize that if I protected myself and those around me, I couldn’t go to BRUNCH?!?!?! Do you have any idea, any idea at all, how important that is in my culture?

How dare you. How loving dare you.

telling me i need to wear a mask or get a vaccine or can't have huge parties is genocide

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Ammanas posted:

There will never be another lockdown in the United States.

hawaii will lock down again, they're considering a curfew now but that isn't going to do anything but we have to make absolutely sure that our lovely nonsense half measures without even a working theory are indeed worthless before we can try the thing we already know works.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

my big beautiful thread was CLOSED :qq:

apparently it was so big that it killed the forums, which is weird for a thing that is over and also never existed and open biden

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

skewetoo posted:

Neolib states gave up and are quite openly saying everyone is expected to get covid

i'm super not okay with getting covid.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
was smallpox endemic at some point? i keep hearing people saying "well it's too late now, covid is endemic and we can never get rid of it ever" and, that's super depressing and doom and also not true? i know the deer all have it or something, but i can't believe how quickly everyone gave up after doing essentially nothing. our entire nation is apparently an ungovernable mob of deluded self-important lazy idiots.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Lacrosse posted:

Last I heard about Hawaii it was from locals shouting at the top of their lungs to please stop going on vacation to Hawaii, we're full. Are they going to keep letting tourists in?

yeah but it's not their fault anymore. it's spreading all over the community and we don't really have any restrictions on anything.

I think the issue is going to be if they try to lock down the locals but not the tourists there's gonna be riots

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i think the cold truth is that no one has a plan and millions of people are about to die

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

paperwind posted:

I seem to recall in March 2020 that locals went driving up and down through Waikiki and were intimidating the hanger-on tourists before we officially locked down.

yeah that was definitely a thing. plus people were ratting out tourists breaking the rules all the time, the state gave out a crazy amount of fines.

but i've heard a lot of people recently complain that we need the tourist money so we just have to live with the virus. as a note we can't do that, we can't live with a virus that overwhelms our hospitals, we have nowhere else to go. it's going to be really bad here, worse than in other places.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

paperwind posted:

Actually, I know for a fact that any curfew our idiot leaders dare put in place will be enforced against locals only while tourists will be able to still do whatever the gently caress they want. Actually curfewing tourists is killing the golden goose that can never be killed again.

It's always been the case the the needs of tourists have been prioritized above residents here, but a double standard in curfew enforcement would not be taken very well. That's why I don't think it has a chance of ever happening, we will let our entire medical system collapse first.

even if they did a lockdown right now our medical system would collapse so we’re deciding how many deaths after and caused by the collapse we are willing to accept. well, I don’t think anyone realizes that is what we are doing, but it is.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
npr is fearmongering right now about how many people are about to die but hasn’t once mentioned any NPIs. it’s all about vaccines.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

paperwind posted:

You're right. We passed the point of being completely hosed about a month ago. Glad people could make money from tourism again for a few months eh?

it’s funny because pretty much the only tourist places that opened back up are huge national or international chains that ship all their profits out of state so really we threw away everything we worked and suffered to achieve so that some faceless stockholders and oligarchs could have a little bit more money.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

What is an NPI?

Non-Pharmaceutical Intervention. things like mask-wearing and contact tracing. things that aren't easy, that are harder than just saying "go get a shot" and then declaring everything over.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Charles Mansion posted:

i know an individual, vaccinated early on due to being a health care worker (moderna fwiw), who tested positive on 3 consecutive antigen rapid tests last thursday. on friday they got a pcr test and received results 48 hours later - negative. they took a "pcr equivalent" test afterward which was also negative, but a 4th antigen rapid test was positive.

what the gently caress?

that's old lady science for ya!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Judakel posted:

sounds like soon you won't need any newsletters

it's true, covid is over

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

etalian posted:

I heard my fav chud conspiracy theory today at my apartment.

The 600K people who died, we weren't sure it was COV19, the media exaggerates things!

yeah it could be anything, like allergies

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Cloks posted:

posting on the Covid page

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/08/17/authorities-arrest-florida-couple-accused-using-fake-vaccine-cards-travel-hawaii/

quote:

Authorities arrest Florida couple accused of using fake vaccine cards to travel to Hawaii

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Authorities from the Hawaii Attorney General’s Office arrested more visitors accused of trying to skirt the state’s Safe Travel’s program using fake vaccination cards.

Daniela and Enzo Dalmazzo, of Miami, Florida, flew to Oahu with their two children on Aug. 11, officials said.

They were arrested on the North Shore.

According to court documents, the couple also had fake vaccine cards for their kids — who were born in 2016 and 2017 — and are too young to be vaccinated.

Enzo Dalmazzo was charged with one count, and Daniela Dalmazzo was charged with three counts, including those for her two kids.

They were cited a total of $8,000.

They have since posted bail.

This is the second known case of visitors accused of using fake vaccination cards to bypass quarantine. A father and son from California were arrested last week Sunday.

gently caress these people

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Judakel posted:

oh you need to have a vaccine to travel to hawaii.... i might be able to snitch on a chud i know

do it

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

crepeface posted:

lol

"hey guys, what if we did nothing? would the problem go away by itself?!?"

well it's a possibility! lets average that idea in with the other models just to be safe

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

fosborb posted:

we're going to do this metro by metro this time aren't we

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1427377370273665027?s=19

yeah, we didn't do anything differently than last time and are shocked that it is resulting in the same disastrous chaos. it's great

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Pardot posted:

not going to click that , but how the gently caress do you have both paranoia and complacency?

quote:

It’s true that some cases have been reported after quarantine, but that doesn't change the fact that infection rates in the broader community have remained exceedingly low. The government has failed to adapt its policy to return closer to normalcy, and hasn't communicated any comprehensive or transparent plans that lay out the pros and cons of its interventions. This approach skews perceptions and provides the wrong incentives. As a result, people have avoided getting vaccinated and shrug off social responsibility, while the burden of protecting the unvaccinated is borne by the individuals who are masking, testing and getting shots.

the strong border enforcement is too strong because there aren't any new cases, so they should make it weaker so that there are some cases. also the people in the country living normally are bad and complacent because what if there was an outbreak!?? in this thesis i will talk about why i'm mad that i have to quarantine for 21 days before getting to do a rich person vacation in hong kong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
what sort of brain worms are writhing around inside the minds of all these unbelievably stupid people who see a working solution and immediately think "that is working too well, we need to make it worse for some inexplicable reason." it's like value engineering but for a loving pandemic.

completely putting out the fire is very wasteful, lets just put out like 90% of the fire and then save the rest of the water for other fires (or maybe we can sell it). oh no the house is on fire again!? well then this is all impossible, everything is impossible