Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's nice to get a new thread

The last one was getting a little... congested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Poke posted:

Sore throat and tired. I’m lucky my company is letting me quarantine in empty company trailer in the deepest depths of the Louisiana Bayou. I’m over an hour away from New Orleans if poo poo hits the fan though. Yikes.

On a lighter note the Doctor gave a smirk and said “Pfizer, huh.” when he read my chart.

Won’t I be super dosed up after getting 2 Pfizer shots, getting Covid and then getting a Moderna Booster afterwards?

DR JOHN CAMPBELL has said that exposure to the virus does trigger an immune response that would theoretically help, but it's... let's just say unclear, if the benefits are worth the cost, especially if the exposure leads to a symptomatic infection anyway

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kreeblah posted:

Some people just have no clue how to make their own food, and less than zero interest in learning. Like that guy who got a dozen long blacks or whatever from Starbucks at the beginning of the pandemic because he didn't know how to brew his own coffee.

I learned how to cook because my parents would leave me alone in the house for whole afternoons at a time and I wanted to be able to eat what I liked, when I wanted

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

about ivermectin, while i respect the authors opinion, there isnt enough evidence to show that ivermectin improves the course of patients with covid. with the number
of cases we should have seen by now if it does. so i dont agree with her on that point.

lmfao I got Dear Old Dad to back away from ivermectin poo poo!!!

thank you dialectical materialism

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Why did Republicans become anitvax?

because it's a way to rile people up against the government

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
when I was working nights I'd drink a lot of water so that the constant need to get up and take a piss would keep me awake

the alternative was taking up smoking

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

1. I think it's a little preemptive to speak so conclusively on these timelines

2. I specifically think eight months for J&J is a little optimistic

3. The way it's phrased makes it sound like protection just stops after the six months, which is a dangerous way of conveying the information

4. While I appreciate that they're setting up the narrative for acceptance of boosters, at 10% fully-vaxxed in the PH it doesn't seem like we should be doing that yet

(other news today was that two guys got arrested for taking a shot of Moderna after already having been fully-vaxxed with Sinovac. That makes the third booster arrest so far)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kreeblah posted:

How the gently caress are they getting a year for AZ? I thought we were already seeing efficacy issues with it a couple months ago.

hell if I know. Again, the J&J at eight months is also suss, and Sinovac at less than six is also an rear end-pull AFAIK

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Real Mean Queen posted:

What's the main vaccine over there? I'm purely guessing here, but if they're in the middle of trying to get people to take the AZ, that could just be a naked attempt to keep people from saying "well gently caress this it's not worth it if I have to go back that often"

The vast majority of the Philippine vaccine supply is Sinovac, though by now we have all of the brands. My friends and family have received an assortment, to the point where I personally know different individuals who have received Sinovac (myself), Pfizer, AZ, J&J, and Moderna.

I don't think it's a "we want to encourage people to take AZ" thing, because most of our vaccine hesitancy comes from all the media propaganda portraying Sinovac as being effectively sugar-water, and vaxx sites lacking any takers if people know it's Sinovac that's being given out, and conversely any "Western" vaccine gets swarmed... including J&J being preferred over Sinovac!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MagazineAmplify/status/1427191745284956163?s=19
https://twitter.com/MagazineAmplify/status/1427194838529630210?s=19

https://twitter.com/MagazineAmplify/status/1427520823645007875?s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Relevant Tangent posted:

Moderna works and doesn't show the same degradation of function over time that Pfizer does, correct?

1. I'm not sure I want to imply that other vaccines don't work

2. The studies that have been cited that demonstrate waning effectivity of vaccines over time, for all of their flaws and caveats, do indicate that Moderna does not wane nearly as much, yes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

What is the effacacy drop on pfizer? I haven't heard of this and I'm fairly read up on these things? I thought so anyways

There are the ones I've seen pop-up:

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1425610846927917063
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1425589829069271041

as I understand it:

* Pfizer drops in effectiveness against infections to about 40-50% after six months
* Pfizer retains its effectiveness against severe symptoms requiring hospitalization even after all that time
* it's possible that the interval between the first and second shots makes a difference, i.e. UK data yields better retention of effectiveness because they gave out their second shot eight (?) weeks after the first, whereas Israel gave their second shot two (?) weeks after the first. I think the US does three weeks between shots?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Petey posted:

right, my question is: how much of the UK difference is determined by the interval (12 weeks vs 3), how much vs waning (12 weeks == fewer people are 6+ months out), and how much is the interaction of the two. i haven't seen anything definitive regarding this, but lmk if i missed something

yeah I don't know about that. The questions you're raising are perfectly reasonable but there's a lot of... nuance? to drawing definitive conclusions from these studies from how uncontrolled the data is

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

Yeah my FIL got vaxxed back in late January as a priority person, my wife and I were fully vaxxed + 2 weeks mid April, so he's about at the end of his protected period, and we will be soon, I guess October

We have an under 12 kid at daycare, as do other family members so that's an interesting wrinkle. Our county has really high vax rates and super low spread, but we'll see what happens with Delta community spread, schools are opening here soon

this is why I try to phrase things carefully - I don't want to give the impression that the vaccine just stops working after six months

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Newsquawk/status/1427609461439569923
https://twitter.com/LiveSquawk/status/1427609513830621186

lol The Fear is setting in again, at least for some people

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

i know a couple teachers who are looking to get into coding because they'd rather learn that than deal with going into the meat grinder despite loving teaching

wow another victory for Hillary Clinton

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Real Mean Queen posted:

Submerge your child in a bathtub of deer ticks safely!

Detect Lyme disease at home with an FDA-approved test, plus other safety essentials

it's so much Lyme disease as quicklime, tbh

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

drat. I saw a headline saying a nearby county had a shortage of 100 drivers starting the school year, and I though that sounded bad. Needing 400 drivers sounds like everyone's walking.

yeah if you're missing a hundred drivers you're not going to solve that by delaying school for a bit

write off the whole school year!!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

I know Israel has a high amount of their population vaccinated, but what is their mask wearing and/or lockdown situation like? Is there any explanation for their wave other than Delta is managing to breakthrough?

AFAIK Israel re-implemented a mask mandate (while in-doors) since June 25

"Under the new orders, private gatherings are to be capped at 100 people outdoors and 50 people indoors, while at event venues, the cap will be 500 outdoors and 400 indoors. Additionally, no event can surpass 75 percent of a venue’s full capacity.

Mass events where there are no marked seats will be capped at 1,000 people indoors and 5,000 people outdoors.

Face masks will be mandatory in all closed spaces, apart from one’s place of residence, as well as in outdoor gatherings of at least 100 people. Masks are already mandatory in public indoor spaces."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1427628021121527808

This seems like an unequal comparison because it's not just about "some school board meetings are calm", but about what those school board meetings result in.

Like, sure, mask mandates poll well, but does that polling result in a majority of schools/school districts implementing mask mandates?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

Staff shortage

:pusheen:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

its hilarious how much better prepared they are for this than the united states lmao

checking Worldometers, they have a 7-day average of... 86 cases-per-day. They added 604 new cases over the last seven days, and 723 the week before that.

they currently have 1,938 active cases, a little higher than their previous "peak" of 1,885 on Jan 26, 2021

4,636 deaths, up by one since Jan 25, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Fulkery1/status/1427852063065747457

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mod sassinator posted:

also holy hell, one quarter of US ICU beds are COVID patients right now :stare: i'm sure that's perfectly sustainable and fine

and 20% of ICUs are 95% or more full

:stare:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1427872758436753409

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

New Zealand was only able to do this because they were proactive in handling the pandemic. But this is not gonna work as a long-term solution, let's be honest here. You can't shut down a whole country every time someone tests positive. The economy's gonna take a hit.

If we banned entry from the get-go, maybe we had the chance. But even then, too many factors. Vietnam was once a model for handling the pandemic, but even they couldn't control delta.

quote:

I'm not saying what New Zealand's been doing is wrong. All Im saying is they could afford to go hard and early because they were proactive during the start of the pandemic, unlike this country i know of.

But realistically speaking, i don't think this strategy is viable long term. The single case they have is presumed to be delta which was locally transmitted. It has been transmitted to 5 other people so far. And with their protocol already as strict as it is, the fact that the virus broke through is alarming.

Sooner or later, the dam's gonna break wherein shutting down the whole country won't be viable any longer. Vietnam was doing so well until it didn't.

Maybe im just pessimistic. Hopefully im wrong.

love to just give up

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1427812904863154181?s=20

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DrTonyLeachon/status/1427862084008644610?s=19

Lol at how incredibly wrong this is

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

External Organs posted:

Maybe if we pumped pure oxygen into the schools??

that would also kill kids as soon as someone sets off a spark

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Pizza posted:

where did the whitehouse get 8 months from?

they probably split the difference that six months is too soon given how rough the data is, but any longer and they'd be on the hook if people vaxxed in January start dying (and that people are just going to get boosters on the down-low anyway)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

She was following CDC guidance.

buy Walensky an account

and then ban it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
2016:
TRUMP!
*click*

2021:
SecureClick

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

But about 30 minutes in, people took over the virtual room, calling in to say the n-word on loop. A man eventually appeared on screen and began masturbating.

Bill Maher and Jeffrey Toobin both send their kids to the same school?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

rip mastershakeman

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/EdsonCGuido/status/1428628534327717889?s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Thoguh posted:

Also stop encouraging Tayne people, is this your first ever time posting on Something Awful?

Better Tayne than tayne...terunner

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Sneed's Livestock Ivermectin (formerly hydroxychloroquine's)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Der Meister posted:

lookit this guy admit to reading gbs

Covid gives you GBS

Guillian Barre Syndrome

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy