Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Anyone have a reliable source for 3M 604 Exhalation Valve Filters? I'd like to source-control my respirator the NIOSH way if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

21st century indentured servitude

People get squirrely when I call it "wage slavery" but how else do you define a labor relationship where you either work or you go homeless and starve?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Rauros posted:

haven't checked google news in awhile, because everything is awful, and it was like a firehose of IT'S MILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go out and sacrifice yourself to capitalism. The mucous in your lungs will grease the wheels of the economy.

Everyone else has already picked the low hanging fruit, but could this dweeb have maybe gotten a real shelf instead of whatever that plastic thing is? You can make your nerd hoard look mildly presentable if you put it on the right furniture.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Rescue Toaster posted:

Well I gave up and have to go into the dentist tomorrow at 7am (first appt). The staff is vaccinated and wear N95s but there will be two other patients in the building at the same time, so I guess if I get a bad dice roll I just die. (Immuno-suppressed to the point of being unvaccinated.)

It does look like with a 3M Aura I could pull the lower part all the way up and tape it to my upper lip and then breath through my nose the whole time. Of course I can't wear goggles with that. :rubby:

Is it just a cleaning? I'd consider rescheduling for another three six months out. It's not worth gambling your life if you don't have a problem you need to fix right now.

edit: why did I say three? why even six?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Well that ended with a wet fart. Not sure why I expected anything different.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

mystes posted:

Honey is added sugar

Bees are magic.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

smiling faces? more like dying faces

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Agreed, I'm doing it in anticipation of emergency situations I can't control aka if I can't talk my way out of a fire alarm inspection or if there's a serious apartment emergency where maintenance needs to come. Also getting worried about open windows this spring, so figure it's good to have.

Thinking about everyone I know with a house just pissing that luxury away by having people over, it's enraging.

If you're in a shared/communal living space and not a single family home you're already turbofucked w.r.t. air quality control. Opening the windows would be a net benefit compared to sucking down recycled communal air that has been in any number of units with no chance to disburse.

How can anyone think the pandemic is ending? How can anyone think Omicron is the last one (even if we didn't already have another one tripling in a week's time)? I feel like screaming.

I had the surreal experience the other day of my boss worrying about me getting COVID as if I haven't been living by myself in a cottage in the rear end end of the suburbs, working from home and getting everything contactlessly delivered. I had to go for an in-person doctor's appointment today and... like... that's the most human contact I've had in recent memory.

It's weird for me now because I'm starting to think a lot of the carelessness is coming from people who have casual contact with a small group of friends and family. My hypothesis is that the attitude is essentially reinforced by these small groups people think they have control over. The problem is people are bad at math and exposure risk is exponential with number of people you contact. My boss got COVID herself, despite being an utter germaphobe, and I guarantee it is because she has family members she's in contact with on a regular basis.

"If I can get it you can get it." Yes, that is technically true, but I'm also a single person who isn't seeing ANYONE. I have no kids (huge risk), no partner, and I'm not visiting my mom. I'm in a situation where I can post a sign "put deliveries in the sun room" and never have to see another person without a door between us.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It's a 1BR in a typical suburban apartment complex (door opens to a staircase outside), thankfully not an apartment building. Before the pandemic we asked if the units were connected in any way and they told us no, so hopefully we're good. If not, then just lol.

Wish there were a safe way to buy a house and move during this. There's just too much risk.

The place I was living before this was a gutted-and-converted house that had been built in like the 1890s, with everything on a single furnace.

I fell face-first into this SFH rental that was only marginally more expensive and frankly the risk of seeing it and signing paperwork was lower than staying in what could quickly become a plague-box.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

not_superiority posted:

meat and dairy are totally optional, just make the grains & legumes the same size portion bing bong

I still have my backpacker meal planning chart somewhere, which lists what combinations of what food groups you need to make a complete protein without animal products. I can tell you that I've never felt as good (or pooped as good) as I did while eating very spartan trail meals made out of potato pearls and lentils.

Blend your mashed potatoes and lentils together and add some spice rack. Real gourmet poo poo.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

moist turtleneck posted:

lol the first frame of the segment is talking about another thing that could take 10 to 100 years off your life expectancy

"Have you tried exercise?" but instead of depression it's COVID.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

etalian posted:

Fauci hosed up the AIDS pandemic response and he's continuing his perfect consistent track record this time around!

You say "hosed up" as if the AIDS response wasn't exactly as designed.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Warmachine posted:

You say "hosed up" as if the AIDS response wasn't exactly as designed.

COVID is killing the right people according to the powers that be.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CPU Abuser posted:

It's always and inevitably worse than that.

You're examining a system (namely, a pandemic) where you cannot even hope to capture all the forces at play, within the relatively small system of nonlinear DEs that constitutes your model.

I mean...

Close enough works. Any and all statistical modeling is 'close enough.' But all the statistical models in the world won't help you if the public doesn't buy in. COVID is a marketing problem, not a planning problem. And currently all the marketing is OPEN BIDEN.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I commented during a listening session for a new climate change plan in my state, and one of my arguments was that we (Michigan) need to "rebrand car culture for the 21st century" because LOL if I'm going to realistically get Americans to give up personal automobiles but there's a chance I can make an electric vehicle a mark of prestige through social pressure.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CPU Abuser posted:

NO.

I don't think you've seen even the best bits of mathematical modeling exposed to serious testing, only to watch them crumble like they were made out of moldy paper mâché.

I have. I used to do this sort of thing for a living.

Then I don't know what to tell you. What were you modeling? Because there are some things that are way more resilient and produce way more confident statistical metrics (physics, biochem, 'hard' sciences) than others (social sciences writ large). I studied economics, and frankly moldy paper mache was a good day and a reason to get beers.

And that doesn't change my thesis: you have a marketing problem where the public thinks this is no big deal because either 1) the message they're getting is inconsistent and so they're defaulting back to 'normal' or 2) the powers-that-be are actively marketing the death cult, AKA Open Biden.

The general public thinks statistics is all fake anyway. Source: my anecdotal conversations with random people where I tell them my interests and they say that to my face.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

people believing the democratic party aren't slaves to capital

:rubby:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The Democrat response to BLM protests was to kneel in a hallway while wearing kente cloth and then systematically dismantle any attempts at police reform in cities they controlled.

And also escalate said protests by enacting spurious curfews as an excuse to start launching teargas and impact rounds

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, but they wear blue hats!

pink hats

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

If both parties are the same then you'll go in the woodchipper regardless

What do you think COVID is?

You'd best start believing in woodchippers. You're in one.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The thing that makes local politicians valuable isn't that they are inherently better people. It's that you can walk up to their house with a protest and collectively take shits on their porch until they either change their tune or abdicate.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Morbus posted:

You keep saying this, but the fitness landscape of a virus not only can be experimentally explored, but was, and such efforts have broadly predicted the course of SARS-CoV-2 evolution for over a year. That's what makes the lack of any kind of long term planning even more idiotic. Besides--even when the catastrophic delta wave in India gave most of the western world a solid 3-4 month window to form some kind of anticipatory response, what we got instead was masks off, suck-n-gently caress 4th of July, open biden. That wasn't the result of some fundamental epistemological difficulties, it was a result of sheer ignorance, denial, and stupidity. The omicron variant behaves almost identically to the eventual immune escape variants that were predicted since late 2020, based on an exploration of the mutation space. The future evolution of the virus was predicted, with remarkable accuracy!

Here watch: this is what covid is very likely going to do over the next year:

-A churn of conformational escape bullshit on RBD, as has been the case constantly since the very first variant straight up through BA2

-Mutations that confer gradually better hACE2 binding, with the pace of this being largely determined by how effective the immunity conferred by an infection with the then-dominant variant is

-Good odds we see more effective INF suppression via ORF8 or similar

-Fair odds we see the re-emergence of delta-like FCS behavior

-Not-so-likely wildcard recombination events, if they produce something that actually competes with SARS-CoV-2 as opposed to being an entirely different virus, are unlikely to regress very much along any of these axes of fitness. If they produce something crazy like new receptor tropism etc., it will probably co-circulate with SARS-CoV-2.

The end result of all this is that antibody mediated immunity will continue to dwindle and not be very durable, absent any great new pharmaceutical interventions (like new/better vaccines). Anything that increases fitness or increases immune evasion will produce an apparent increase in transmissivity, even if intrinsic R0 is unchanged (which isn't to say it will be). The virus may become less virulent, but it is unlikely it will ever become intrinsically much less virulent than the OG wuhan strain. Many of the above will increase virulence, so there are good odds we see a more virulent strain in the future

None of these are certainties, but they are informed by what we know about the mutational space and very obvious and inevitable selection pressures. They provide a sound guideline for long term planning and will broadly prove to be correct over the next several months. The only thing truly unpredictable with respect to new variants is the timing of their emergence, but even that can be safely estimated to be on the order of months and not years, at least when transmission is not suppressed

In any case, one thing is absolutely clear: if you control the transmission of the virus, it will not spread and cases will decline. Controlling transmission, even of a very contagious respiratory virus, is not rocket science and is not actually unacceptably burdensome or difficult. That is really all any society needs to know to form a perfectly good long term plan. The fact that we have chosen to do a bunch of stupid poo poo instead is not due to a lack of information or knowledge about the future, it's due to poor leadership and people being idiots.

Hence why my thesis on the topic was and remains, "It's a marketing problem."

Mind you, the marketing is working as designed. Capital is taking precautions and keeping itself alive while the proles (us) die for their profits. The system works.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lacrosse posted:

Because they want him to run or because they don't want Kamala becoming president before then?

A little of both, I think. As a run, I expect we'll see a Republican kick him out. As a casualty, I don't think they want to risk Kalama loving it up (or, comedy option, succeeding beyond anyone's wildest expectations).

McCracAttack posted:

At this point I would be content if people would just leave me alone to live as an eccentric hermit while they go back to normal. As long as I can go buy food and booze with a respirator on without being harassed I'm willing to go quietly.

Hell yeah. Embrace the lifestyle. I can vouch for it. It's great.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Insanite posted:

i have been informed by people on the internet that hospitals need their ICUs full at all times in order to make money, actually

They make us sick (COVID)
And suppress our medicine (Cum)
So we buy their cure (OPEN BIDEN)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

goth smoking cloves posted:

I keep having an elaborate fantasy where I procure a full face p100 respirator and rig up a speaker and mic so people can hear me speak and with that I am at least able to play in friday night magic again and see friends there...

Then I think about how that's an unnecessary risk and the all the ways I could gently caress up and still get infected.

I've been digging more and more into my nascent modeling hobby, and I'm still enchanted by the idea of 3D printing some cladding for my p100 and maybe doing this voice box thing (with proper sealing and fit testing) to really bedazzle my COVID apocalypse kit.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

NUMBERS DOWN

REMOVE NPIS

NUMBER UP! PRAISE NUMBER!

wait, wrong thread.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Went to the convenience store in my shiny new 3M 7300 this morning, and this poo poo is like dynamite fishing for bad opinions. The cashier made a stupid "can't tell your gender" joke and all I could do was laugh and say that I was expecting to get a comment or two but she defied all expectations.

gently caress, get a half-face if you can. It's 100% worth it, not just for OSHA-levels of COVID protection, but for instantly highlighting the people with bad opinions.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Zurtilik posted:

How am I to sexualize you if you don't show me your mouth?!

I COULDN'T TELL BECAUSE OF THE PINK FILTERS

goddamn, I'm gonna wear this thing everywhere forever

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tulip posted:

People like mine, I'm getting genuinely curious questions and a few "oh poo poo now that's a mask!" Some people seem put off but strangers have never been nicer to me.

Someone got those printable cards about where to get elastomeric masks handy?

I'm sure this is true. There's absolutely an aesthetic to the elastomeric masks. I'm just amused that the first person I talked to was like "hurr hurr are you a boy or a girl?" Speedrunning bigotry any%

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Covok posted:

Why is drinking piss always this go to bullshit medicial cure? What allures these people go drink warm water full of urine? What makes them want to guzzle piss? Why do they think its medicine? I have lived my entire life and never ever wanted to touch pee. Peeing into a cup at the doctor was weird and uncomfortable.

It's the forbidden lemonade.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shiroc posted:

Having extremely ill advised sex with your housemate after the extremely ill advised trip to the drag/bondage show, as a treat.

I am eagerly awaiting the E/N thread. I hope it gets posted before the roni gets em.

AppleNippleBOB posted:

:blessed:

Sadly the foursome didn't happen :/

I know that'd be a bad decision, covid-wise (*and probably for housemate drama reasons) - but its been far too long since I've had any action. Prob would be worth the dice roll wrt covid, at least.

:rubby:

You're not wrong.

So no E/N thread then? :smith:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Honestly my half-face is way more comfortable than any KN95 I've had. The straps distribute the pressure well. The gasket seals and it stays in place so I don't feel like I need to fidget with it. It's easier to breath through.

Quality PPE is like any other tool. You can improvise, but nothing feels as good as the real thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'd been content to pretty much go without any updates on COVID because I'd settled into a pretty good routine of isolation combined with strict masking (P100 elastomeric supremacy). Checking the thread today was... not great.

gently caress.