Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
The only place I've seen masks mandated was at the orientation for my new job. That gave me some comfort and anecdotally I am noticing more masks when I go out but I get the feeling most people don't really care.

Something that I noticed when I was interviewing and would ask about covid is that some of them would say "hopefully we don't have to wear masks." Not "hopefully the virus is contained," they just don't want to wear a mask. I can't understand that.

We start in the classroom this Friday so we will see how it goes. Oh boy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

im going to walk in and ask for a booster today.

im not going to lie, I'm just going to ask for it and see what they say.

im going to go in scrubs and just let the pharmacy techs make their own conclusions

will report back.

Good luck!

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
How are the effects from the 3rd moderna dose? When I got shot #2 I got really loving sick for 2 days.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

corona familiar posted:

day 0: shoulder hurts a lot. can't raise left arm at all

day 1: feel like poo poo (throbbing headache when upright, sick feeling all over, fever, cold temperatures hurt). watch a movie. eyes hurt, sleep for 6 hours. watch some tv. brain hurts, sleep for 6 hours

day 2: feel a lot better, still a headache occasionally when sitting up for a while, but I can stay awake. fever mostly gone. spend most of the day watching https://www.youtube.com/user/Rambalac

day 3: fever gone, sick feeling gone, headaches gone. shoulder still a bit tender and warm, but I can move it. can sit at the computer and post.

day 4 (today): no more symptoms other than a bit of pain when raising arm above head

Thanks! I will have to get some time off for this one

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I thought I lost my respirator when we left Hawaii but I found it! With two p100 cartridges still sealed in plastic. Right on!

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

you know given that it's america and we're tracking jack poo poo, I do wonder what percentage of "breakthrough" cases are "people lying about being vaxxed because they feel some amount of shame or think they'll be refused treatment otherwise"

probably not a statistically significant amount but i'm still curious

I know several people who just printed out those cards and filled it in themselves so I wonder about this too.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Hell, someone in GBS posted about going to brunch while they themselves were positive.

WHAT

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Jon Irenicus posted:

positive and symptomatic iirc lmao

ahahaha why would they admit that what the gently caress

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I’m serious. She checked the boxes.

She was in her ninth day of symptoms on the twenty‐first and brunched on the twenty‐fifth.

She had never had a fever.

Bruch day minus three had this update:

That’s improvement and the third and final bullet point met. By current CDC guidance, she was good to go.

The CDC is dumber than GBS.

I was going to ask if you were loving with us! I knew the CDC guidelines were weird but I don't know anyone who actually followed them

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

inferis posted:

I’ve been in a doctors office and watched them close a tab that was literally just them googling symptoms

hahahah look there's only so much of this poo poo I can take. This thread is something

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Aurubin posted:

Boy howdy I do not want to go to college. Decided to go back because I wanted to do something about climate change (lol) and am now gonna be the late 20something weirdo in the lecture hall with a respirator on. Was really looking forward to using their gym, considering I have to pay for it anyway. Nuts to that.

No one will know how old you are with your respirator on.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

My understanding is that america is the only country in the world that puts doctors on such a ridiculous pedastal that they are gods among mere mortals analogous to c suites. In England the doctors put in loving peripheral IVs. If you asked a doctor in america to do that you'd get the same reaction as if you just told them to get in there and clean the poo poo off that cdiff patient. Utterly beneath them.

This may or may not help the thread understand where MadJackal mindset comes from. Feudal lord bishops that graciously provide healing services to the peasantry at their convenience.

What happened to MadJackal? He used to post a lot in this thread.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Casey Finnigan posted:

During the lull in cases it appears he thought everyone was crazy for wanting to be cautious and acted like a real rear end in a top hat about it and now it would be too embarrassing to have to admit he was wrong so he won't

Thanks!

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

hahahaha

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I have a friend back in Hawaii who is currently refusing to get vaccinated. He lives with his grandmother and his dad. He is waiting for the novavax vaccine because that is the one that he wants to take. He's recently been telling me he is having panic attacks because his job might start mandating that he get vaccinated or tested weekly. I'm just venting, but this is a guy who watches prepper youtube and is supposedly ready for a "SHTF" situation and the idea of talking to someone about this is giving him panic attacks.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

fits my needs posted:

lol my job sent out a thing that ur gonna get put on unpaid administrative leave if you dont get it by the deadline or have a valid reason

I don't understand why he doesn't just lie. He works from home!

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

fits my needs posted:

my job's asking for proof of vaccine card picture or access to your EMR for covid vaccine reasons

Oh drat. I'm not sure that's the case for him but it could be.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
A panic would at least mean people are taking this seriously. I never really stopped stocking up on supplies. Both my wife and I mentioned that we are seeing way more masks than we did when we first got here but not all of the schools have started yet. I hope to hear more information regarding schools at work tomorrow. Oh boy!

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Tzen posted:

https://twitter.com/MrFarmahini/status/1428370291470655497
[COVID-19] Setup A Firing Squad Of Maskless People

What can you even say about this? Astonishing level of hubris. Was this an administrators idea or what?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

My wife and son are going back to China on the earliest flight that we could book. Even if they get the kid vaccine here out before they leave, I am only going to trust the Chinese vaccine for my son.

I mentioned it a couple of times in these threads already, but my wife was a nurse in China before she married me and came to the US. I was a dumb chud in 2019 and she threatened me with actual assault unless we pulled our kid out of pre-K and I started to wear a mask....in February 2020. She already basically hated everything about America before this, especially American food in every form. This is pretty common among Chinese people - I have friends who spent 5 years in America and ate at a non-Chinese/Asian restaurant maybe once throughout those 5 years, because their new American friends dragged them to a Red Lobster or some poo poo, and that was enough. Her family ran a bakery in China growing up and she was a semi-professional cook.

Her process of crack-pinging was something like:

February 2020:
Me: I guess they found a few cases in our state now.
Her: Holy poo poo why are still people going outside? Why isn't the city locked down?

March 2020:
Me: I dunno babe this Fauci guy on TV says masks don't work?
Her: You are the dumbest god drat idiot I have ever met.

April 2020:
Me: Check out these convicts digging mass graves in New York in exchange for masks lol.
Her: A hundred thousand people are going to die. All those people had families and children. Why doesn't the government do something?

June 2020:
Me: The FDA has issued guidance on returning refrigerated trailers back to food service after storing corpses.
Her: : :stare:

[Bunch of other poo poo in 2020]

January 2021:
Me: A bunch of hospital workers in California got infected because one of them wore an inflatable Christmas tree outfit for a party while positive. Also there's some kind of coup going on in Washington.
Her: lol. lmao.

I wish I could move my family to China. My great grandfather that I've never met was from there does that count for anything?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Glumwheels posted:

Their god emperor told them last night to get vaccinated and the coward had to walk it back because they booed him. Money won’t work on these people and the remaining anti-vaxxers.

Wait, sorry did this really happen?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Holy poo poo it just keeps getting weirder and weirder!

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

I'm sure that's the case for some folks but the people I know who refuse the vaccine are doing so because they just don't want to take it. It's weird

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Shere posted:

It's the primary excuse, not reason, and the thing about excuses is that it's excuses all the way down.

These aren't people making a qualitative, informed decision based on a set of facts, it's people starting from a conclusion and letting cognitive dissonance fill in the gaps.

I posted about a friend who refuses to get vaccinated and it is this in his case. He was talking about ivermectin the other day. He's going to keep googling to justify his decision not to get the vaccine.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Work was interesting today. I was at 3 schools and masks are just not a thing up here. I mean there were a few people wearing them but not many and none of the students are in masks. Holy poo poo.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Buffer posted:

Kiddo went back to LAUSD last monday, KN95ed up.

Tests were wednesday - 2 day turnaround
On friday - 5 positive students, case rate 50/100k vs. 30/100k in the community
Yesterday -1 of those positive students was in kiddos class, they quarantined a 3 foot zone around the positive

This is fine.

Holy poo poo I am so sorry. Good luck.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
My friend who doesn't want the vaccine is now concerned with ADE. I remember it being mentioned earlier in the thread (I think yesterday) but is there any information I may have missed? I'm not going to bother sharing it with him just for my own information.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Rauros posted:

short answer is that dengue is the classic example but it has tropism mainly for immune cells, while covid does not.
[/quote
[quote="McNugget Buddy" post="517213263"]
Conservative idiot Alex Berenson said ADE was a thing this morning and then cited a paper that said the opposite:

https://twitter.com/AlexBerenson/status/1430177657535279117

Of course chuds didn't actually read the paper and now his tweet is gospel

Thank you. I should have known that Berenson brought this on since that's where he gets his information. He just stopped sending me the actual tweets after I called him out on it. Thank you both for the quick answers!

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
It loving sucks to watch this dude I grew up with start fighting culture wars regarding covid. I even told him to eat the loving ivermectin if he wants to, no one's going to stop him, but not even that's good enough for him. He lives with his grandma who got vaccinated but it still seems risky as hell to me.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Xaris posted:

This is the most important point, I think.

The narrative is, hurr durr, dummies eat paste and crayons cuz dum.

The reality is that as far as preventative protocols go, Ivermectin seems to be best fit. It isn't something that replaces another thing we should be doing, aka vaccines for those whose risk assessment warrants it. It is an add to, not an instead of.

And for those who find preventative options valuable, they are being denied options. So, being the entrepreneurial sort, they make their own options, less preferred obviously, but if you are preventing access to Ivermectin, you are the one causing issues.

I've been following this thing for a bit and people are going out of their way to talk past each other. That behavior, not Covid, not Vaccines, not Ivermectin, but the refusal to grant anything to their counterpart, is going to lead to more deaths.

If this is a serious post I don't disagree but the people like my friend aren't taking the vaccine because they can't but because he doesn't want to. I don't care if he eats this poo poo but it bothers me because this is just the latest reason not to take it when no one is forcing him anyway.

edit: goddammit ive been owned online. never again

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I am at a middle school right now and just overheard that someone is so sick that they passed out. They don't want to go home because of work that needs to be done or something? I'm not sure, I overheard it in passing and wanted to share. This could be due to the heat, though it doesn't seem that hot to me. Either way ahahahaha

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Condolences. Sorry. I have zero luck convincing any of the anti-vaccine folk I know of anything.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
People here are now talking about how quarantines and distance learning is coming back, but I don't think so. I work for the school district and masks aren't even mandated at schools, just "encouraged." The only time the kids have to wear masks is on the school bus. The classes are packed. It's hosed!

I'm at a meeting now where masks were mandated and the presenter has had her loving mask over her chin the entire time. WONDERFUL

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

gently caress this guy I already wear jeans to work every day.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

mdemone posted:

just passed 250 words in my Mandarin course.

highly recommended

Does duolingo mandarin work? I've done a few courses but I suck at it.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I like the Pimsleur method courses on Audible myself, but I haven't tried DuoLingo. I like that I can do it during my commute.

Cannot wait to be a middle manager that profusely apologizes to his Chinese overlords for the lazy shiftlessness of my American subordinates.

mdemone posted:

I really click with it very well

your experience may vary but I would recommend it to anyone at least to try it.

edit: it uses characters and not pinyin. which I think is really the way to go, but learning Chinese characters is....something that some people will be better at than others. I make up little stories or other tricks to remember each one. and after repetitions, you don't need the tricks anymore

Thank you! I will try both of these. I do pretty good with duolingo spanish combined with watching seasons 1 - 10 of the simpsons in spanish.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

post COVID posted:

good news for the previously infected

Can someone explain this to me because I'm a dumbass. Does this count for breakthrough infections? I haven't gotten covid and I don't want to, I'm just not used to good news. Are people like my coworker who had covid and then got vaccinated more protected?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
At a training today I was told the policy says if a kid gets long covid they might need an iep. Which to me raises the question then why risk giving them the disability by having schools face to face with no mask mandate, no filtration, no measures to mitigate the virus? I feel like whatever a parent thinks about poo poo like vaccines we at the schools could try the minimal poo poo that kind of works like masks, distance, filtration/ventilation. But no one does and when I mention it they don't even care enough to laugh at me or disagree, it's just shrugged off.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Der Meister posted:

why do teaching professionals always think people know what an iep is

I'm lazy, sorry.

For anyone who doesn't know it's an individualized education program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

An entire generation of kids is going to die, with the survivors suffering from lifelong disabilities, all because their parents don't want to take the time to raise them.

To be fair some of the parents can't due to their own work and the cost of child care so it falls, as it always has, onto educators to pick up the slack. What gets me is none of the schools I service are even pretending there's a pandemic loving up the entire health care system. I thought I had crack pinged last year but I guess there are levels.

My nf95 is working hard, thank you.