Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

Experience survival horror like never before in the eighth major installment in the storied Resident Evil franchise - Resident Evil Village.

Set a few years after the horrifying events in the critically acclaimed Resident Evil 7 biohazard, the all-new storyline begins with Ethan Winters and his wife Mia living peacefully in a new location, free from their past nightmares. Just as they are building their new life together, tragedy befalls them once again.
    *First-Person Action – Players will assume the role of Ethan Winters and experience every up-close battle and terrifying pursuit through a first-person perspective.
    *Familiar Faces and New Foes – Chris Redfield has typically been a hero in the Resident Evil series, but his appearance in Resident Evil Village seemingly shrouds him in sinister motives. A host of new adversaries inhabiting the village will relentlessly hunt Ethan and hinder his every move as he attempts to make sense of the new nightmare he finds himself in.

Resident Evil was in a weird spot after RE4. While on the surface it seemed to revitalize the flagging series by stripping the adventure game elements and focusing on refining and improving the action, it quickly became obvious Capcom had no idea how to follow it up. Umbrella Chronicles, RE5, Darkside Chronicles, Revelations, RE6, Revelations 2 and even the terrible multiplayer games all had completely different answers to the problem, and while I do think there are more good games than bad in that stretch, none of them really captured the magic of the series at its best.

Thankfully, they turned things back around in 2017 with Resident Evil 7, which featured a stronger emphasis on outright horror and marked the return of the adventure game puzzles of the original games, without sacrificing the action in the process. RE7 is also the debut of the fantastic RE Engine, which Capcom has slowly been working into all of their series. Remakes of RE2 and RE3 followed in 2019 and 2020 which were excellent and very good, respectively, and despite some ... strange initial trailers, Village was looking gorgeous and seemed unlikely to screw up badly enough to end the streak.

The LP is a blind run, and I'm joined once again over stream by my friend Sibyl (forums name secretly best girl). It's a fairly exploratory run, as we tend to poke at most of the nooks and crannies in the game to see what we can find, and therefore it's not exactly the most efficient playthrough out there.

While not quite the smorgasbord of body horror we received in RE7, Village still features tons of grievous violence and is not recommended if you can't handle that sort of thing. Especially hand trauma. If you're really bad about injuries to hands this is not the game for you.

D1. We Play the Resident Evil Village Demo

01. Rondo of Blood
02. Terror's Realm
03. Corpse Party
04. Darkest Dungeon
05. Blood
06. Manhunt
07. End of the Golden Witch
08. Chaos;Head
09. Sweet Home
10. Maniac Mansion
11. Maiden of Black Water
12. Heavy Rain
13. Haunting Ground
14. The Suffering
15. The Walking Dead
16. A Fumble in the Dark
17. Metal Wolf Chaos
18. Resident Evil Revelations
19. Rule of Rose

D2. We Play the Resident Evil Village 3rd-Person Demo

R1. Shadows of Rose, Part 1
R2. Shadows of Rose, Part 2
R3. Shadows of Rose, Part 3
R4. Shadows of Rose, Part 4
R5. Shadows of Rose, Part 5

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/re_games/status/1356391885816823808

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

01. Rondo of Blood

The most expressive hands in video games return to go on another spooky adventure.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They definitely took the wrong lesson out of RE4 but I think I blame RE5 more for the series getting totally out of whack. If you sold as many copies as RE5 did you'd think you were on to something, too.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'm still very pro-"where is my Revelations 3".

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

secretly best girl posted:

I'm still very pro-"where is my Revelations 3".

Was the second game the one with Burton's daughter?

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah, Revelations 2 is the adventure of Claire Redfield and Moira Burton stuck on an island where they're not allowed to be afraid, and Barry shows up sometime in the future and meets a weird little girl. It's really silly even for an RE plot but I had a good time with it and thought it was a solid improvement over Revelations 1.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Hey! Sorry for the wait, not even 24 hours after I posted the last video I had a personal crisis to deal with and I needed to take a break. Fortunately, the real game starts here!

02. Terror's Realm

This seems like a swell place to live if it weren't for the hourly werewolf raids.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

03. Corpse Party

If you need a quick, decisive solution to your current problem, call Ethan Winters and it'll all be over before you know it! Same-day guarantee!

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

Level 1 Thief posted:

If you need a quick, decisive solution to your current problem, call Ethan Winters and it'll all be over before you know it! Same-day guarantee!

Ethan Winters is such a nice guy, always willing to lend a hand! :v:

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

There's a lot of RE4 influence here so far, isn't there?

--scenario is put in motion by someone's daughter getting kidnapped
--takes place in a rural European village attached to a castle
--common enemies are villagers turned feral by some external and evidently contagious factor
-- the hero, surrounded in the middle of the village, is saved by his attackers suddenly ceasing their attack and responding to a summons of some sort
--the merchant looks a lot different, but functions in exactly the same way
--the main villains, once introduced, are inversions of the three from RE4
--I assume Heisenberg is Luiza's husband, the village head. A short, talkative guy vs. RE4's imposing, silent equivalent
--Lady Dmitrescu seems to be the exact inverse of Salazar from RE4. Also seems to have left-and-right-hand personal attendants
--Mother Miranda is basically Sadler, but a woman.

I've got some guesses how some things will play out as the game goes on, but I don't want to type them here in case I turn out to be right and spoil things for others who are also seeing this game for the first time.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 5, 2021

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Meaty Ore posted:

There's a lot of RE4 influence here so far, isn't there?

--scenario is put in motion by someone's daughter getting kidnapped
--takes place in a rural European village attached to a castle
--common enemies are villagers turned feral by some external and evidently contagious factor
-- the hero, surrounded in the middle of the village, is saved by his attackers suddenly ceasing their attack and responding to a summons of some sort
--the merchant looks a lot different, but functions in exactly the same way
--the main villains, once introduced, are inversions of the three from RE4
--I assume Heisenberg is Luiza's husband, the village head. A short, talkative guy vs. RE4's imposing, silent equivalent
--Lady Dmitrescu seems to be the exact inverse of Salazar from RE4. Also seems to have left-and-right-hand personal attendants
--Mother Miranda is basically Sadler, but a woman.

I've got some guesses how some things will play out as the game goes on, but I don't want to type them here in case I turn out to be right and spoil things for others who are also seeing this game for the first time.

Yeah, they're not ... especially subtle about it. We'll see at least one more straight-up RE4 mechanic later on too.

04. Darkest Dungeon

Castle Dimitrescu is the most happening place to be! Stop in and hang out a while!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
There is a wasp woman in a Capcom IP! Hecuba in Onimusha

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

05. Blood

Keeping an apartment-size bath chamber filled to the brim with human blood is a pretty strong power-move, not gonna lie.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

06. Manhunt

I mean, we ARE selling her daughters' bones. I'd be furious too.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It only hits me months later "oh, the reason the camera is locked down so hard on the labyrinths is so you can't scroll it to see Ethan".

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Thqt's a good point -- you don't ever want to see a Winters Saga RE protagonist's face. Another lesson taught by the late, great Clancy Jarvis.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

07. End of the Golden Witch

The castle section ends about how you'd expect if you've ever played Resident Evil 4, 5, 6, 7, Revelations, Revelations 2,

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

I'll admit, dragon was not the form I was expecting!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Mathwyn posted:

I'll admit, dragon was not the form I was expecting!

Considering she's a dracula, and the etymology of the word, there's a fairly sensible chain of thought that leads to taking that form.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

08. Chaos;Head

The Duke made that monkey's paw seem like such a good purchase...

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

09. Sweet Home

Even the finest shack in Village can't compare to the huge, empty splendor of House Beneviento.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

10. Maniac Mansion

That's why the house was so empty before! It was a *surprise party*!!

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

11. Maiden of Black Water

After attending to some more errands in town, we move on to the mines to meet the best¹ character in all of Resident Evil!

¹(Source: Salvatore Moreau)

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

12. Heavy Rain

Ethan learns a valuable lesson: never mess with perfection. Now he's drenched with mystery water and miscellaneous fish stuff. Serves him right!

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

13. Haunting Ground

We begin our final trip through Village for goods and supplies. Look, that necklace's two holes aren't going to fill themselves.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

14. The Suffering

The Stronghold. A place where Lycans (and ammo) go to die. A lot of Lycans (and a lot of ammo).

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

15. The Walking Dead

We enter Heisenberg's pocket dimension where he's the coolest and most badass dude around and he's got like a thousand -- no a MILLION zombies and they've got CHAINSAWS and JET ENGINES and

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

16. A Fumble in the Dark

Heisenberg continues his bid for Coolest Man Un-Alive and nobody's impressed.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

With the ladder, the game won't let you climb through without stopping the machine first; there's no prompt. With the fenced off area, you have to take a potshot at the guy lying on the table, and he'll bust through the gates so you can get the money and magnum ammo. Also that was the perfect end to the video. I died there too on my first playthrough, in exactly the same way.

Keep going; I'm still watching and enjoying it greatly.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Meaty Ore posted:

With the ladder, the game won't let you climb through without stopping the machine first; there's no prompt. With the fenced off area, you have to take a potshot at the guy lying on the table, and he'll bust through the gates so you can get the money and magnum ammo. Also that was the perfect end to the video. I died there too on my first playthrough, in exactly the same way.

Keep going; I'm still watching and enjoying it greatly.

Thanks! I know it's been a pretty dead thread because the updates were so inconsistent, especially since the other RE8 run went up, but I stand by the videos and I appreciate everyone still watching. We're in the home stretch now and editing for the rest of the game is done, so I plan to get the rest posted throughout this week.

A bit surprised to find out that's how you get in the secret room. The series has such a long history of inert monsters staying put until you clear a certain event, especially monsters in other rooms, that I actually think that's incredibly unintuitive.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

17. Metal Wolf Chaos

Ethan does battle against the rest of Heisenberg's biggest fans.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

18. Resident Evil Revelations

NOT A DREAM! NOT A HOAX!

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

19. Rule of Rose

And that's a wrap! Everything blew the hell up at sunrise, as tends to happen in these games, and then everything calmed way down again for another few years until someone else decides that, despite decades of cautionary tales at this point, they've got this bioweapon thing figured out and the cycle begins anew.

Thanks to everyone who watched the whole way through! As said in the video, we'll probably drop back in if/when they release the DLC they teased last year, but otherwise we're done with our wild journey through Resident Evil for now!

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

It's Ethan time again!

D2. We Play the Resident Evil Village 3rd-Person Demo

Ethan's cool at all, but I think it's time we take a step back and really consider him. And by that I mean a physical step back. No face photos, please.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The 3rd person works pretty well but it's also more clunky than 2 or 3make.

Namely in 2 and 3 you can sprint in any direction while still keeping the camera focused on whatever is chasing you.

But then again Ethan has a block which is even more reliable than Jill's dodge.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

The Cold Steel II LP is done, and that means it's time to embark on the adventures of everyone's favorite bundle of energy, Rose Winters!

R1. Shadows of Rose, Part 1

This'll DEFINITELY show those mean girls at school what's what. Foolproof plan, Rose.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

R2. Shadows of Rose, Part 2

Rose's Adventures in Goopland didn't quite convey the mood they wanted, so they went with a different title.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

R3. Shadows of Rose, Part 3

All right, we're gonna have a HUGE battle against the Duk--wait, we don't have the budget for that? Okay, fine... *pops seal on "Large Axe-Wielder" animations*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

R4. Shadows of Rose, Part 4

In which a ton of evil dolls attack Rose with her own memories and anxieties. Also knives.