Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Jade Star posted:

Also datapads that talk more about the nature of these derelicts which... Orbit? a black hole. I don't think you can orbit a black hole. Also how close to this black hole are we? This doesn't feel very safe at all. Is the black hole the mothership we're looking for?

A black hole is just a neutron star or other object with sufficient mass/density that its escape velocity (for a given altitude) exceeds ~3e8m/s. You can orbit one the same way you can orbit any star or planet, and as long as you don't get too close nothing notable will happen.

Getting close-but-not-too-close would take a stupendous amount of fuel/energy but if you somehow have the resources to do all that, then you also can probably deal with other hazards from the Department Of Too Much Physics (extreme heat/radiation from the accretion disk, some kind of ablative armor for relativistic micrometeors, etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

silentsnack posted:

A black hole is just a neutron star or other object with sufficient mass/density that its escape velocity (for a given altitude) exceeds ~3e8m/s. You can orbit one the same way you can orbit any star or planet, and as long as you don't get too close nothing notable will happen.

Getting close-but-not-too-close would take a stupendous amount of fuel/energy but if you somehow have the resources to do all that, then you also can probably deal with other hazards from the Department Of Too Much Physics (extreme heat/radiation from the accretion disk, some kind of ablative armor for relativistic micrometeors, etc)

Following on this, black holes only become "black" when you've passed the Schwarschild radius, at which point you've bigger problems that not being able to see anything.

Also, the bit on the datapad about radar not being able to track small pieces of metal is not accurate. Currently NASA and the DoD track some 27,000 items in orbit.

"DoD’s Space Surveillance Network tracks discrete objects as small as 2 inches (5 centimeters) in diameter in low-Earth orbit and about 1 yard (1 meter) in geosynchronous orbit."

Okay, pedantic nitpicking done. I'll stop now.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
My first attempt at playing this game (just before finding this LP), I started a party with Miner (Demolition), Scrapper (Quartermaster) and Technician (Shield expert). It went pretty alright at the start but once I hit my first level 5 derelict fights started being horrible grinds or just kicked my rear end since I don't have a reliable way to improve my action economy. Additionally, my specialization choices in hindsight weren't great, I think I would have done better to pick Surgeon for my Technician. Medical is only the secondary stat but that doesn't really matter for purging stuff, and I really started to resent only having a couple tool cards to deal with debuffs on my guys, and Surgeon would have helped. I don't really feel in hindsight that my Tech needed *more* shield boosting.

In the same vein, my Scrapper provides more than enough extra card draw for himself and others with tools and the base class so the level 4 Quartermaster ability providing weapon card draws for the party is kind of redundant, my Miner/Demo tends to have enough cards and gets redraws when he's out of explosives and my Tech doesn't really benefit from weapon cards while desperately trying to keep the team shielded and not debuffed to hell by the larger worms.

Miner is pretty cool though.

I played around with some other party compositions and the Medic's starting skill to hand out an Energize is really spoiling me, especially once you max out the skill.

Also, an observation: Despite only starting with 10 points in Mental as a class that has no use for the skill, the Codex indicates that the Bruiser's stat growth in the field is weirdly good, +6 per level, just behind +7 weaponry per level. I guess you could make a Charismatic Bruiser to start with 25 Mental and then have a big psychic thug or something. Or a Strategist Bruiser :v:

Anyway, I'll probably do a run with something like Leader/Medic and someone for extra killing to get the hang of it better.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 25, 2021

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Those incendiary grenades don't look great on the skills sheet, but in practice they were doing some good damage. I hope the booms get bigger though in later skills

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Well, this LP sold another copy. drat this game is fun.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Well, this LP sold another copy. drat this game is fun.

:same:

Well, wishlisted since I had to get a couple of root canals earlier this month, but it's on my radar.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I feel that all the inventory janitoring would grind down my will to live, almost as much time spent fighting spent comparing mods and cards. It's just not my type of thing, but I can definitely appreciate seeing how it works.

Black holes are pretty safe to orbit once you're far enough, you can safely orbit them past 3 or times their radius (at hilarious speeds, most likely, but it's perfectly close to regular rules up to there) (of course if you are a black hole yourself the gravitational wave interaction fuckery I don't understand will eventually slow you down enough and make for an interesting edge case in the rules of the universe when you merge with the other black hole) but it's a scifi thing so the black hole might be sitting pretty in the captain's safe for all we know, we have psychers and appear to have FTL. (And if that black piece of metal isn't showing up on radar, it's probably coated in some very radar absorbing thing, Mister text log.)

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I think this game undersells what it must be like exploring one of these derelicts. We see all kinds of weird stuff in the background like disused fighter jets, Ancient crumbling machinery, Bridges and pillars criss-crossing vast expanses to name a few things. Any one of these ships must be the size of a city, no wonder people choose to make a living there.

Oh also, this game looks like it would be a living nightmare for people with descision paralysis.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Next time on Deep Sky Derelicts, a special two part derelict.

Part one: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

Part two: uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jade Star posted:

The LP curse strikes again!

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I put together a team that's Bruiser/Strategist, Miner/Functionaire and Medic/Chemist. The Medic generates loads of extra actions in every fight, the Miner tends to end up with the entire deck in hand from the extra cards generated through passives in the Strategist, Miner and Functionaire trees, then throws them at the Medic with Transfer so the Medic's good cards keep coming around. :homebrew:

Meanwhile my Bruiser just chunks away at the bad guys and when they punch him back their damage resistance and evasion gets killed by one of the Strategist passives. Combined with the Miner's usual armor debuffing and everything dies nice and quick.

And if a fight goes long enough, sometimes those lone big enemies just sit there and eat it because the Functionaire forced them to discard everything with Sabotage.

I didn't really go into this run with any idea more profound than "Huh, why does the Bruiser have such good Mental stat growth?" and then picked the secondaries kind of on a whim. Just lucked into a workable setup it seems. I still hate debuff-heavy enemies but the Medic can cope.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
You know, I hadn't ever thought about it, but Bruiser with their ability to withstand damage and also taunt enemies to force himself to be a target does sound like it matches up well with a lot of the strategists abilities.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Jade Star posted:

You know, I hadn't ever thought about it, but Bruiser with their ability to withstand damage and also taunt enemies to force himself to be a target does sound like it matches up well with a lot of the strategists abilities.

Tactical trolling is an age old military practice.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
The real warcrime turned out to be the Miner/Functionaire. With the passive card generation from staggering enemies with attacks or killing them outright (Functionaire+Strategist passives), either or both of my Miner's capstone or the Chemist capstone made the Miner capable of killing any group of enemies in one turn with Sweeping Fire or other aoes, since the Chemist's power infusion gives like +4 energize and +5 cards and the Miner Capstone is basically "Discard X cards and get X energizes and +5% damage per card". So having a ton of cards in hand just means being able to generate an enormous damage bonus, and then you're probably gonna draw more cards while spamming attacks. Hell, if Battle Commands from the Strategist was up, with its big damage bonus and 75% chance get more energize on kills, the Miner could decimate the entire enemy line even with single target attacks in a single turn. Sometimes with a turn to set it up if the starting draw was unusually bad.

I think I just happened to pick a really good combination of secondaries, but honestly the Miner's Sweeping Fire aoe in particular felt ridiculously good especially with it ignoring 100% of enemy Evasion if it's leveled all the way.

Then I started a new game and got chumped at level 4 by a Buddynaut with some high evasion friends because I forgot to bring anything to cleanse its aoe -50% hit chance debuff. :cripes:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 29, 2021

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

You know what sucks? Quantum instability. This derelict is gonna give me some problems today...

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Quantum instability is absolutely beautiful to watch.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jade Star posted:

Well, this undersold the first episode somewhat

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Just jumped in myself, I had wondered why I had less loot drop, was running a Leader/Medic/Tracker group so much less Scavenger skill obviously. It's interesting how different builds shape so much, I'll probably despise debris without a Miner around. Had some definite "this is insanely hard" moments until I ground a little more loot so I could build better gear. Haven't played lately, will have to see if I stall out in the future (God knows the last episodes show some even more crazy upgrades in difficulty in my future). Also, quantum instability is indeed utter bullshit, if nothing else it should not be able to teleport the ship exits like that and randomly kill you by moving it too far away.

LP-wise, I can't help but think you have juuuust a bit of sleep deprivation tactics going on ;). I find it terribly amusing how often I watch you ignore cards that would help (you seemed to have an outright mental block on using Mental Assault when it would kill someone compared to the regular attack you used) or march around in stealth half the ship. Doesn't help the game has decided you should die now, of course (that last huge enemy was total BS, guess he's a "see how many defenses/debuffs you can stack" check).

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I think this would be a good ship to invest in some generators, it would help you keep tabs on where things are when they move around.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Tombot posted:

I think this would be a good ship to invest in some generators, it would help you keep tabs on where things are when they move around.

They might be of slightly less help when they get shuffled around too, but still probably a lot better than having nothing.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Ok gently caress this derelict. It ruined the synched XP :cry:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Just found out this is on sale at humble bundle for the next few days. $6.20 for the game with both DLC.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/deep-sky-derelicts-definitive-edition

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Thanks for the tip, guess I'm going to give it a go and have my own Fuuu---- moments too. :D

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Every time you ignore using Mental Assault, it hurts me.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Every time you ignore using Mental Assault don't focus fire, it hurts me.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
The suffering shall continue!!!

Actually I really don't remember, but I vaguely feel like I'm passing it up when standard shots will still kill. I dunno, I don't rewatch my own videos. Maybe I am just sleep deprived and missing a better card play. Either way, suck iiiiiiit!

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Jade Star posted:

The suffering shall continue!!!

Actually I really don't remember, but I vaguely feel like I'm passing it up when standard shots will still kill. I dunno, I don't rewatch my own videos. Maybe I am just sleep deprived and missing a better card play. Either way, suck iiiiiiit!

An appropriate and rational response.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Wow, that derelict condition is astoundingly trolly if you're unlucky. Absolutely incredible.

And the encounters are really starting to develop some bite, it seems.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

gently caress this derelict I'm out. Thought I was going to be lost for even longer and make this a three parter. Ugh.

I'm going to sleep now, Maybe get them data logs in here later.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jade Star posted:

gently caress this derelict I'm out. Thought I was going to be lost for even longer and make this a three parter. Ugh.

I'm going to sleep now, Maybe get them data logs in here later.

!Jaids

Nothing more needs to be said really. And I'm only 20 minutes into the video

Edit: wait, I remembered - maybe your peeps are doing extra damage because they have +health damage mods on their weapons?

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 5, 2021

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Glad that terrible ship is over with

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Do you have to visit and recover data from every derelict to successfully complete the game?

The one where another scavenger had taken the data first, is that dynamic or a fixed part of the plot? Can data get taken by other scavengers if you take too long?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
gently caress Blizzard tiles...gently caress them all to hell. That is all.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I bought this because of this lp today.

I got to say the inventor is a hilarious roller coaster of hp.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The Tech loving with the enemies' shields/bots/everything never gets old. Also, Master of Robots is a pro specialization.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
There are a certain number of nav data's you need to hand in to unlock the next grouping of derelicts. There are derelicts that are missing the data, or been beaten to, etc, and I think that is scripting. You don't need a nav sphere from absolutely every derelict, and I don't think it's possible to lose because you miss out on a nav sphere.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Jade Star posted:

There are a certain number of nav data's you need to hand in to unlock the next grouping of derelicts. There are derelicts that are missing the data, or been beaten to, etc, and I think that is scripting. You don't need a nav sphere from absolutely every derelict, and I don't think it's possible to lose because you miss out on a nav sphere.

I think my original Bruiser/Miner/Medic group failed a Tech check on a console and didn't get the data. While the SubGovernor is pretty understanding about missing data, he does go "We've not hired you to fail" when you check in going "Woops we ruined the nav console" Still, I beat that run so obviously you can miss some.

I also finished a run as Inventor/Demolitions, Scrapper/Tinker and Tech/Surgeon. The Surgeon's all target purge with the passive skill to only ever purge buffs off enemies and debuffs of friendlies gets really convenient towards the end. Demolition explosives and the Tinker's dirty bomb both benefit from the Tech's gadget master talent to make everyone's explosives better. Dirty Bomb did a lot of work for me at the end, but without reliably ways to get Energize (compared to a Medic/Chemist) it was a bit of a slog.
And having to actually gear to defeat evasion/armor/DR is a lot more annoying than just buffing a Miner to the nines and destroying the world with his 'ignore evasion' aoe as I did in my first run.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 6, 2021

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

I spend all my money before even pressing the record button and then go to a new derelict with a new environmental feature and what could go wrong? It won't be as bad as Quantum Instability.

And here's some of those datapads I promised last time

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

And here we see the half-opossum in his ideal habitat, going completely feral all over a massive pile of garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

This is kinda the point where I dropped out of playing. Enemies just get too good for my dumb brain, stacking extra moves and hitting like trucks with each one, usually laser focusing a single person down in like a turn or two.