Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Raskolnikov38 posted:

actually you know what book i hated more than catcher? great expectations, or really anything written by dickens.
dickens is good in theory but its fair to not like it in terms of writing. like some other goon mentioned he was writing himself a paycheck but also thought of literature as a means to enact social and capital reform against the backdrop of the start of an horrific industrial-capital era.

a lot of dickensian-themes are very relevant even in tyool 2021. there is very much an inherent rebellion against the landed gentry, insane working conditions and crippling poverty, and luxurious lofty-elite. its amazing though that millons of americans sit down to watch patrick stewart's christmas carol or w/e and then go "eviction ban? VERY ILLEGAL! what about the landlords??" every year.

ultimately marx went way further and way better with the same observations that dickens was making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

A Tale or Two Cities inspired The Dark Knight Rises haha

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
now if you want to talk bad books, every single one of the Bostonian Book Club elite writing transcendentalism / nouveau-romantic americana literature is horrible.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
fuckin' walden

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Probably Magic posted:

I made the mistake of trying to read Moby Dick in middle school and my brain went on autopilot as soon as Ishmael and Queequeg actually got out to sea. I really enjoyed the Ishmael and Queequeg parts a lot though, I could read an entire book of them hanging out in a port.

My favorite part is when Ishmael and Queequeg get hired onto the Pequod. The owners offer Ishmael basically pennies. Then Queequeg, tattoos all over his face, walks up.

"I suspect thee art not a Christian. Dost thee attend church on Sundays? Dost thou know and obey the ten commandments?"

Then Queequeg scoffs, eyes a barrel with a mark on it some hundred yards away, and throws his harpoon perfectly at that mark.

The Quaker owner of the ship is stunned into falling onto his seat. "Good Lord, man! Take the pen, make thy mark, we shall give you a sixtieth part of our profits from this entire voyage!"

Queequeg signs his name with a drawing of a whale. :rock:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
a bunch of preppy rear end elite motherfucker yeoman-farmer wanna-bes writing a bunch of garbage about the inherent natural human state of being individualists

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i shall live by myself in the wilderness! *actually lives in a shack within walking distance of town, which I rely on for supplies*

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
thoreau's mom did his laundry

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Maximo Roboto posted:

A Tale or Two Cities inspired The Dark Knight Rises haha

Dickens is basically a radlib who can't quite say capitalism itself is the problem and is really concerned about the Soviet Union French Republic. Though even then TDKR completely cut all the "lots of nobles were scum who were basically at fault for all this" part

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

english literature has been a bust, all the good works of fiction i had in high school were of non-english origins

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

I wanna read William James because he was high on laughing gas all the time

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Oliver Twist was my favorite book for awhile, not sure I love this Dickens slander.

(It admittedly has some, uh, problems especially when it comes to Jewish representation.)

Honestly most of the good poo poo I liked like Turn of the Screw I read myself, assigned reading was generally pretty bleh.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Nix Panicus posted:

A Vonnegut book should be required reading for every American. Just pick one. But I think most of them have a few too many juvenile references to get past school board puritans, or at least when I went to school

lol.

/teacher assigns slaughterhouse 5 to students

"teacher what's a 'seminiferous tubule'?"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

StashAugustine posted:

Dickens is basically a radlib
it's not an unfair comparison really; a victorian-equivalent of a radlib. there was overall too much influence on the redeemability of the rich and charity, even backdropped to generally horrific exploitation of capitalism.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

im gonna try to remember all the books we were assigned in high school

great expectations
romeo and juliet
the odyessy (dear god i have been assigned this book like 5 times)
night
gwain and the greenknight
some sort play set in africa, cant remember anything else about it
theban plays

lord of the files
catcher in the rye
macbeth
of mice and men
the things they carried
all quiet on the western front
house of spirits

scarlet letter
walden
the crucible
death of a salesman
chronicle of a death foretold
great gatsby
crime and punishment
perfume

hamlet
beloved
things fall apart
pride and prejudice
streetcar named desire

A Gin Palace
Feb 12, 2013
can they make "combat liberalism" required reading in schools

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

english literature has been a bust, all the good works of fiction i had in high school were of non-english origins

Im just gonna say Vonnegut over and over again

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Xaris posted:

death of the author movement is terrible

That's because everybody screws up explaining what is it to make themselves look smart.
It's super simple to understand.

A person writes a book.
Then 100 critics write articles on that book
The author writes their on critique on the book.
The author's critique is not more important than any other critique just because the author wrote it.

It's hard to understand this because people can create a lot meaning with words,
so author's criticism look smarter than they actually are.

So here is the same example using music.
A stupid loving kid is banging on the piano.
The stupid loving kid hits the C-E-G notes making a perfect C chord. and the kids likes it.
The hits the notes again and again.

Somebody walks by and asks the kid, why are you hitting those notes.
the kid goes "I don't know, I like how it sounds."

But then two people walk up.
One explains how wavelengths mixes in the ear hairs to create an enjoyable sound.
The other talks about the history of the piano and how the building of this instrument made it easier for the kid to play those three notes.

While most authors are loving morons who are average at making stores intuitively.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 23:48 on Aug 17, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Nix Panicus posted:

Im just gonna say Vonnegut over and over again

vonnegut's real good but also pynchon is real good too and extremely leftist; and a guy who was in the eye of the abyss and was horrified by it and the extreme evil of post-war america.

maybe the two best post-war american authors.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Spergin Morlock posted:

lol.

/teacher assigns slaughterhouse 5 to students

"teacher what's a 'seminiferous tubule'?"

Its a shame because the juxtaposition of horror and dick jokes is exactly the kind of thing a high schooler would get

Macbeth is my all time favorite Shakespeare work. I love that the thing that does him in is having a moment of mercy after a long and bloody climb to the top he didn't even really want to begin with. Once you start you can never stop.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i thought catcher was badass when i was a teen and also atlas shrugged lol. owned.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
catch 22 was one of the assigned books in my high school but it didn't seem like something that would be very appealing to high school kids

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I ditched at least a solid month of senior year English to play video games and read catch-22

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I really enjoyed The Great Gatsby, which rules, and I think it's by far the standout of the books I had to read in school. we had to read Ethan Frome and most of the kids couldn't get over the pickles and donuts? scene and our teachers subsequent discussion of sexual imagery in novels we were NOT mature enough to engage with.

but then there's a playhouse in my hometown and one of the guys came in to do Macbeth with us as a community outreach thing and taught us stage fighting and line delivery and that loving rocked.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

What was cool in freshman English is we got assigned Hiroshima, probably due to it being the height of the Iraq War, so got to learn all sorts of gory details about people's skin coming off from the bomb and the like. Also A Separate Peace, which was way less good, just a by-the-numbers coming of age book. Watching Prime of Miss Jean Brodie with my mom was the better WW2 coming of age media experience to be honest.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

oh and the only two books in all of school I didn't read were The Scarlett Letter, gently caress that book and its prose, and The Beach, which I didn't read cause I had gotten into college already by then but maybe should revisit

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

my favorite thing about macbeth was watching some movie a shakespearen troupe made of it. when macduff's son gets stabbed he stumbles over to his mother, goes "mother....they've killed me" and when she embraces him only then does the bloodpack get going, so it looks like she squeezed him until he bled

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

That's because everybody screws up explaining what is it to make themselves look smart.
It's super simple to understand.
i don't know how strictly barthe-ian you're trying to be; but there very much is a literary-style where the author should be absent and the work is in the eye of the beholder with words on a page to be interpreted as how one ever feels and such the historical or material circumstances of an piece or author is irrelevant and should not be considered. perhaps it's not the right pairing because i'm not an english major so who knows

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

MacBeth was my favorite Shakespeare play for a long time because it's easily the most Halloween-y one with all the ghosts and witches. I like King Lear a little more these days because it's about everyone getting owned by their hubris, and that's very relatable these days.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

catch 22 was one of the assigned books in my high school but it didn't seem like something that would be very appealing to high school kids

I read Catch-22 on my own in high school. I think the idea of an authoritarian system with arbitrary rules designed to gently caress with you would make a lot of sense to high schoolers, but I have no idea how you turn that into a lesson plan.

Jon Irenicus posted:

oh and the only two books in all of school I didn't read were The Scarlett Letter, gently caress that book and its prose, and The Beach, which I didn't read cause I had gotten into college already by then but maybe should revisit

I distinctly recall feeling the Scarlet Letter was overhyped bullshit when it was on my required reading list.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Jon Irenicus posted:

yea the scarlet letter was an absolute slog. i was assigned it over the summer between 9th and 10th grade and made the mistake of not starting until the saturday before classes started again on monday. that saturday and sunday SUCKED

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Nix Panicus posted:

I distinctly recall feeling the Scarlet Letter was overhyped bullshit when it was on my required reading list.

hathaniel nawthorne sucks rear end so it's true

perhaps unfairly but i lump him in with all the Bostonian Book Club elite transcendentalist dipshits

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

dunno if this was common but my high school did a load of plays, and I know the English dept. now does a lot of plays with the Theater dept. and newer YA fiction until sophomore year so in some senses the traditional classics might be lessened until you get to the IB/AP classes

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

probably just stop with beowulf, it's all garbage after that

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I remember hating the idea of literary analysis and the teacher who taught it with such a fiery passion that I dedicated my big junior year literary research and analysis paper to relentless mocking the concept. It was like a quarter of my grade but I decided to explicitly antagonize the teacher, picked Alice in Wonderland as my book, and then wrote about every single hosed up Freudian interpretation while extensively documenting Charles Dodgson's pedophilia. My final conclusion was that academic critique destroyed the value of the thing being critiqued for no real gain in meaning. In a hilarious twist they changed grading practices that year and research papers were assigned to the english department as a whole to grade, so the teacher who I mutually loathed didn't get to grade it and I ended up getting an A, despite failing grades on literally every previous draft.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think you people are confused. The point of school isn’t about learning anything, it is about learning performing menial tasks leads to not being punished.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Elephanthead posted:

I think you people are confused. The point of school isn’t about learning anything, it is about learning performing menial tasks leads to not being punished.

sky is blue

update: i'm afraid to say my sky is actually orange and grey because my state is on fire. so.... interpret this as you will :twisted:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

its actually to learn how to smoke weed behind the athletic shed and make fun of your lessers and cultivate a following of your own in order to boost your own social standing. very simple

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
high school book i loved well its called cannery row and its about some based rear end mfs up round monterey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Nix Panicus posted:

My final conclusion was that academic critique destroyed the value of the thing being critiqued for no real gain in meaning. In a hilarious twist they changed grading practices that year and research papers were assigned to the english department as a whole to grade, so the teacher who I mutually loathed didn't get to grade it and I ended up getting an A, despite failing grades on literally every previous draft.
it's true. i'm sure people much smarter and wisened than me have even wrote things on the futility or rather impotency of academic critique. i think there is purpose in encouraging people to synthesize meaning out of works, as in reading is also a taught-skill that can often need guidance to get a handle on, but i do not think academic critique of writing has value in itself.

deconstruct my rectum tia