Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I watched Astro Boy at age 5 or 6 before I knew what anime was. I remember it being a tense, action-filled show with episodes that ended right as I had to leave for school so I often got upset about missing the last couple of minutes of each one.

I watched Sailor Moon at age 10-11 on a morning cartoon show. The presenter introduced it as a show that used "a new Japanese art style called manga" and I could hear her pronounce the italics. I remember seeing the lanky, threatening demonic figures from the OP and thinking that this was unlike anything I'd seen before.

I caught a few out-of-context snippets of Evangelion on the "international" channel at age 12-13 and was mildly traumatized.

I watched Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 on the same channel a few years later. I'm not sure the plot entirely made sense but it had cool ladies fighting robots and that was enough for 15-year-old me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU