Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

my earliest exposure to anime was watching tapes from japan with my friend and his dad that he was importing to help keep his son connected to home culture, and hear japanese from people other than his parents. around 93-2000. the first thing i ever saw other than the canadian dub of dragon ball was g gundam, but we watched a lot of robot anime as it was airing in particular along with doraemon and other kids stuff. we saw evangelion as it aired in full, which...is probably not the best way to watch that series. also watched gaogaigar that way which owned. i liked mic sounders because he spoke some english and i got excited that the cartoons knew english too. saw pokemon and digimon before they came over here, but i vastly prefer the dubs. yeah theyre dumb and noisy and kind of bastardized, but theyre fun and have charm. especially adventure 02, haters vacate. saw the cowboy bebop movie in a packed theater when it came out, i was like 12 i think. lotta hootin and hollerin about that. other than "kids" anime that youd see on saturday morning, a canadian station called ytv also had a pretty rad friday night block that i really loved. .hack sign, GITS SAC (they banned the episode with the guy that would carve a tshirt off his victims!!! got mad about that one), inu-yasha, witch hunter robin, dragon ball gt. lotta good stuff on friday nights. i had every issue of north american shonen jump from the second issue (the light blue one with naruto on it, the first issue was a giveaway at a con and always pissed me off that i couldnt get it because i wanted to read the first issue of one piece!!!!!) all the way through to like 07 i think. a local video store named george's had some anime hidden in the back. some of it was ok for kids to watch. some of it was ninja scroll and urotsukidoji and la blue girl. always a roll of the dice down at george's. at that point i had a close friend in middle school that was also pretty into anime, but in a much more normal way than the average anime liker of that era, his dad had always been into it so he'd also just grown up watching miyazaki and importing stuff. we went to anime north a few times, in the twilight years of it being cool, when they ran the constellation hotel and then maybe one or two years after they moved to the convention center and it got lovely. amv hell was a pretty huge deal for a 13 year old in 2003 haha. they had a masquerade thing that was 18 up but there were also "secret" ones if you knew where to look. skeevy, in retrospect. such is anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU