Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Most of us are old. Pretty loving old, and a lot of us had pretty early childhood exposure to Anime, even if we didn't know it at the time. I want to hear about your nostalgic and happy memories being a kid or a teenager watching anime. What year was it? What did you watch?

My earliest memories are of Ronin Warriors and Ultraman on cable access TV back in the early 90's. I don't think I'd seen Power Rangers until like 96 or so. I remember Toonami debuting and eventually Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z, but I wasn't super interested in it until 1998 when my third grade teacher had a pen pal from Japan who did her student teaching gig at our school.

She showed us a bunch of Miyazaki movies, taught us calligraphy, how to make sushi, and a ton of Japanese which still sticks to me today. My neighbor from another grade and my cousin who was several years older than I was lived vicariously through me because they were already super weebs who loved Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon, so after she moved back to Japan she would send me VHS tapes, letters, and snacks for several years which is how I ended up watching Inu-Yasha, Dragon Ball GT, and Yu Yu Hakusho as well as finding out about One Piece and Naruto by 99. She would send me entire issues of Shonen Jump and I would just look at the pictures.

Around 2001-2002 my family finally had usable internet so I was reading early scanslations of Naruto and One Piece in middle school, and I think even Shonen Jump USA was out at the time but I was pretty ahead of the game. There were some ultra weeb girls in middle school who started wearing Naruto headbands to school and Naruto running through the halls that made so embarrassed that I legitimately stopped watching anime entirely until I was in my later years of High School (2007-2008)

I started getting nostalgic earlier this year because Hulu had Sailor Moon on it, but hearing the new dub voices just wasn't the same. My go-to nostalgic shows are FLCL and 08th MS Team. G-Gundam is on my bucket list.

Here's your 90's kid nostalgia boost:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmBZFNdXMME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Thuryl just reminded me of "Giant Robot Week" on Toonami which had two very edited episodes of Evangelion. I remember anime magazines in the same era advertising "Everything you DIDN'T see in Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z" which were just pretty minor things other than Sailor Moon drinking alcohol at 14 or Krillin's death being a lot more brutal in the Freeza arc in Japan.

They also had advertisements for Plastic Little which are burned into my brain.