Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

iirc you were/are a fan of the hideous but extremely ergonomical cyborg mice is that still the case? my very old cyborg rat 7 seems to finally be kicking the can and idk if there's anything better these days or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Bloody posted:

iirc you were/are a fan of the hideous but extremely ergonomical cyborg mice is that still the case? my very old cyborg rat 7 seems to finally be kicking the can and idk if there's anything better these days or what

my Cyber R.A.T. 7 started acting up a while ago. The rubber bits started kind of decaying and getting gross and sticky so its in a box Currently bouncing between a logitech MX Master and a Large Trackball

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

logitech MX Master

ftw... :kakashi:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

The rubber bits started kind of decaying and getting gross and sticky

i think i must have unusually acidic sweat or something because this happens to a lot of my mice and it doesnt seem to happen to most people as fast

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i 've been looking at the new cyber 7s and 9s but the amazon comments seem to indicate they're not well made any more so idk

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah my rubber's like decaying too its really nasty, but its also like ten years old so its not too surprising

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mx master looks like a good replacement as this is for work, ty

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

rotor posted:

my Cyber R.A.T. 7 started acting up a while ago. The rubber bits started kind of decaying and getting gross and sticky so its in a box Currently bouncing between a logitech MX Master and a Large Trackball

jfc

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

rotor posted:

hell yeah right on dude

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
This is the correct mouse to buy:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tk posted:

if i was buying a new mouse that'd be a top contender

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

pinky rests are a big deal for me, mice without them tire me out. thats why the rat7 was so good imo

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

tk posted:

seconded, this mouse owns

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i use a g502 with kailh gm4.0 switches op, hth

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

nice trackball. they are the best, mouse users are dumb

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I’ve been using a CoStar Stingray 2.0 trackball from the early 1990s on my main system at home lately, it’s been pretty nice

wish I could use the second button for a contextual menu though, both buttons register by default as the main button and changing that will be very difficult (distinguishing the buttons requires sending an ADB command to the trackball, which means figuring out how to talk directly to the ADB-USB adapter)

eschaton fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 19, 2021

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

tk posted:

the heck is this mouse

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
pass, my right hand is for the magic trackpad, my left hand is my one true...mousing...hand

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bloody posted:

the heck is this mouse

https://amzn.to/2W9cUTx

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
basic microsoft wireless mouse is real decent

good for regular mousing and symmetrical so also works easily in left hand when necessary for practicing ambidexterity

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

time to barge in and yell that i never stopped using the intellimouse series

ms knows how to make good hardware

shame about the software though

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
vertical mouse doesn’t have enough buttons. minimizing stretching your fingers for keybosrd shortcuts goes a long way to reducing strain.

g604 is probably as good as it gets for me. lots of buttons and its wireless. no pinky rest and not that ergonomic though. not as good as g700 :(

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Bloody posted:

the heck is this mouse

a hate crime against lefties

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i use a mx master for mac on my windows 10 pc :twisted:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Tankakern posted:

time to barge in and yell that i never stopped using the intellimouse series

ms knows how to make good hardware

shame about the software though

agree, i saved up and bought their bluetooth keyboard way back in the day and it was awesome if a bit squish given the paucity of wireless models at the time. love jog wheel build into the keyboard for volume, very satisfying

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Zlodo posted:

a hate crime against lefties

im a lefty but i mouse righty

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

maybe thats why im dogshit at fps

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Bloody posted:

im a lefty but i mouse righty

same although i grew up using my left hand on a right hand config'd mouse like a maniac. left click with left middle finger.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

:stare:

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

i just realized I do that too, it's ndb and I don't even pay attention to it anymore

but it does mean that when I click the reply button I literally give the middle finger

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Ansible Adams posted:

same although i grew up using my left hand on a right hand config'd mouse like a maniac. left click with left middle finger.

jimi hendrix but with mice

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

tk posted:

No free-scroll, voted 0

Otherwise, I'd buy one

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
evoluent did the vertical mouse first and imo better. i started using one a few years ago when i had some weird nerve twinges in my wrist and they went away in a few weeks

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
i guess trackballs are cool in theory for not messing up your forearm but i've never found one i really liked

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I've mentioned it a few times but if you're having mouse-related wrist/arm pain, the fix it to use different input devices during the day - use device A for an hour, then B, then switch back, rinse & repeat.

I have not found vertical mice to be differently shaped enough to make a difference. What I DID have success with was using either a trackball as noted previously or a little wacom tablet which are surprisingly cheap these days, like $70.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

chmods please posted:

i guess trackballs are cool in theory for not messing up your forearm but i've never found one i really liked

get the Elecom HUGE

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I use a trackball at work and a sick gaming mouse at home

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

haraam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i find the tragic macpad and its ilk to be way worse for me ergonomically than a mouse but ymmv