Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's insane that it's both been a year, and also hbomberguy hadn't released his next video yet.

Well, good news! Hope you have four hours free!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDp3cB5fHXQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Hbomberguy video is excellent.

Since I’m the OP for this thread, I deem it a safe space to talk about other grifters in the video game personality space .

Early last month, Mutahar of SomeOrdinaryGamers*, released a video regarding beloved YouTuber Jirard Khalil aka The Completionist, and the charity fraud that he and his family are engaged in.

Here is the first video on the investigation.

In summation:

Jirard, his brother, and father started a charity in 2003 in honor of his mother who died of dementia. The stated goal of the charity called The Open Hand Foundation is to raise funds and donate them to dementia research. Jirard runs an annual livestream fundraiser for Open Hand called Indieland, which highlights indie developers while raising funds for Open Hand. During the streams, Jirard talks about all the organizations they’ve donated to.

Muta looked into the publicly available tax documents (which go back about seven years) for The Open Hand Foundation and discovered that they haven’t donated a single cent to anything. The documents list the funds generated that year, a small amount deducted for operating expenses, and the accumulated funds which have been put into a non-interest accruing savings account. The latest documents show the account currently has about $660,000 (I don’t remember the exact amount). As of the first video, there were no accusations of stealing funds, it just seems to appear that they have misappropriated them.

Muta contacted Jirard about the use of the funds. Jirard was forthright that they haven’t spent the funds. He stated that he found out that the funds haven’t been used in 2021 is trying to find out who to give the funds to because he wants to make sure the funds aren’t squandered. The most damning bit of the interview is Jirard asking Muta where to donate the money.

A week later, Mutahar posts a second video addressing the response, criticism, and explaining the details behind the phone call. ProJared, a Sailor Moon superfan, exposes himself on twitter for not having seen the original video.

The latest video on the situation looks further into the Open Hand Foundation, the massive discrepancies between the reported income and all the known income sources of the last three years.

In addition to Indieland, Open Hand runs a charity golf tournament that has multiple corporate sponsors. Mutahar breaks down the publicly available income streams, estimates whatever fees paid to the payment processors, and finds that there’s a lot of unreported income. One of those income sources is an annual grant from Jaime Lee Curtis.

Jirard has been a complete ghost on YouTube and social media since the first video dropped, likely at the behest of his lawyers. It’s kind of a miracle that Mutahar was able to get the confession recorded in the first place. If The Open Hand Foundation likely wasn’t on the IRS’s radar, but it they gotta be now.

*it’s a co-investigation with Karl Jobst, alleged nazi. I wish the investigation wasn’t with him because his past always brings up posts about him being a nazi. Just watch the SomeOrdinaryGamers videos, they cover the same things, and in more detail.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The last weekend was very bad for bad people.

Tommy's mom is still very proudcitation needed

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Saoshyant posted:

I'm kind of shocked that I've not found another thread in SA talking about this one in particular. It is a master class in comprehensively researched character assassination. The primary target of the video already pulled up stakes and vanished in a cloud of smoke, burning his discord, his social media, and his patreon on the way out.

Of the secondary topics in this, Illuminaughti already had functionally vanished before the video dropped due to other drama around her including pretty damning abuse allegations, and Internet Historian's core fanbase are circling wagons and literally justifying it doing the "Well he plagarized because he (and us) have no respect for the people he's ripping off" thing that hbomb literally talked about in the above video.

Edit: I'm dumb and found the online creator thread in RGD finally.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 6, 2023

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

ProJared, a Sailor Moon superfan, exposes himself

Well that's nothing new for him!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

rujasu posted:

LMAO

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Where is this goddammit and can I play Star Citizen on it :f5:

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Star Citizen is equally playable in all platforms!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't know a lot about Karl Jobst other than hearing about him from Pat and now Mutahar, but what is this about him allegedly being a nazi? I think I may have watched a video where he talked about Billy Mitchell..

Saoshyant posted:

Oh, I had notifications letting me know exactly when this was released and those 4 hours flew by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6_LW1PkmnY

This is a pretty good companion piece to hbomberguy's video, talking specifically about the blatant errors and falsehoods in Somerton's "work", even acknowledging knowing about hbomb's then-upcoming video about James, and getting his (hb's) blessing to release this one, although he was asked to release it after the plagiarism one came out, which he did.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 6, 2023

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

I don't know a lot about Karl Jobst other than hearing about him from Pat and now Mutahar, but what is this about him allegedly being a nazi? I think I may have watched a video where he talked about Billy Mitchell..

There was a private discord leak that outed a number of speed runners as white supremacists, and Karl was in there chumming it up. https://imgur.com/ZjNqyN2
I think that's the only example of him contributing that you can find, but it was not a server you'd stick around in if you weren't a shithead. To paraphrase, what do you call someone who chooses to eat at a table full of Nazis?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

rujasu posted:

:drat:

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Detective No. 27 posted:

*it’s a co-investigation with Karl Jobst, alleged nazi. I wish the investigation wasn’t with him because his past always brings up posts about him being a nazi. Just watch the SomeOrdinaryGamers videos, they cover the same things, and in more detail.

Deranged centrist hangs out with neo-nazi. World surprised.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Karl's guilt by association (and its a damning association iirc) sucks because he's the one with the concise video exposing and explaining the WATA grading and Heritage Auction collusion and I hate to link to it because nazis. Pat and Ian covered the scandal too but it's spread out across a bunch of podcasts.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Karl Jobst being a nazi comes up whenever Billy Mitchell’s cheating is talked about in various threads I’ve seen. I’d never heard of him prior to the Billy Mitchell and WATA stuff. I don’t have the specifics, I have no attachment to him one way or the other.

I would rather him not be involved with this investigation because the work done is very concise and it takes the attention away from Jirard.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

Karl Jobst being a nazi comes up whenever Billy Mitchell’s cheating is talked about in various threads I’ve seen. I’d never heard of him prior to the Billy Mitchell and WATA stuff. I don’t have the specifics, I have no attachment to him one way or the other.

I would rather him not be involved with this investigation because the work done is very concise and it takes the attention away from Jirard.

Your last sentence belies the jig. Almost everyone in the ultra-niche gaming drama is gross. Gross people recognize they can launder their own images by being involved with taking down someone they perceive as worse rather than in trying to grow in any way. Hopefully Karl and Billy gently caress each other into obscurity.

For those recommending Mutahar/SomeOrdinaryGamers as the more ethically behaved source, he works directly with Karl helping launder his racist image, and was the launchpoint of CallmeCarson's comeback tour. He seems to think since people called Carson a pedo, all the other criticism is unwarranted and he should have his platform to play minecraft to an audience of teens back. Note, what is uncontested is that CallmeCarson exchanged nudes with a 17 year old fan who he groomed into dating, but since he was 19 himself in the occasions we know about, people are giving him a romeo and juliet pass as if there wasn't also a massive disparity in the social power of celebrity that he abused here.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Manky posted:

There was a private discord leak that outed a number of speed runners as white supremacists, and Karl was in there chumming it up. https://imgur.com/ZjNqyN2
I think that's the only example of him contributing that you can find, but it was not a server you'd stick around in if you weren't a shithead. To paraphrase, what do you call someone who chooses to eat at a table full of Nazis?

I mean.

There's also the part where his longtime username, to this day, in 2023, is that he took the name of a WWII U-boat commander.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Is Karl Jobst a gaming racist then?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

claw game handjob posted:

I mean.

There's also the part where his longtime username, to this day, in 2023, is that he took the name of a WWII U-boat commander.

Literally everything I can find says that his actual name is Karl Jobst.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lucinice posted:

Is Karl Jobst a gaming racist then?

A racist, gaming?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That is disappointing about Karl Jobst. His documenting of the speed running community has been really good, and he did great work on outing Billy Mitchell's madness, and the WATA stuff.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Randalor posted:

Literally everything I can find says that his actual name is Karl Jobst.

Gonna be honest: it was just so on brand with everything about the guy's behavior I never thought it wasn't a choice or dove deeper

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

karl jobst got his start writing pick-up artist books before pivoting to speedrunning, he has always been a total piece of poo poo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

karl jobst got his start writing pick-up artist books before pivoting to speedrunning, he has always been a total piece of poo poo

gently caress! Always, every single time with these content creators.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

I said come in! posted:

gently caress! Always, every single time with these content creators.

if every creator you bump into is a grifter..

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Lady Radia posted:

if every creator you bump into is a grifter..

…do as the Romans do?

:iiam:

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Hbomberguy video is excellent.

Since I’m the OP for this thread, I deem it a safe space to talk about other grifters in the video game personality space .

Early last month, Mutahar of SomeOrdinaryGamers*, released a video regarding beloved YouTuber Jirard Khalil aka The Completionist, and the charity fraud that he and his family are engaged in.

It does look like money finally got donated this week.

https://www.theaftd.org/posts/front-page/open-hand-foundation-provides-aftd-600k-for-ftd-research/

Not an org that was promoted during the many many fundraisers as being someone they were partnered with, but at least one who appears on the surface to be doing work relevant to the stated goal. That still doesn't answer the questions around the handling of the golf tournament funds, but it is a good start.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Huh, holy poo poo. I honestly thought it was going to turn out they had been falsifying their documents and had stole the money. Good on the Open Hand Foundation for finally donating the money, may Satan have a special place set aside for the whole family for them not donating the money before this point and continuing to hold fundraisers and use the names of charities after allegedly finding out about withholding the money.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The donation is a damned if they do and damned if they don’t situation. I can only speculate but it doesn’t seem like that this donation would have happened without the investigation. Not to mention, it was stored in a non-interest accruing account, and with the inflation over the last couple years, is a weaker donation than had they been donating the money annually.

And yeah, there’s also all that unreported income. Guess it’s up to the IRS to figure this out now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Always donate directly to a foundation. Anyone claiming to gather money that will then be donated to a foundation of their choice, is almost always a scam, just assume its a scam until you see evidence otherwise.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I just assume all charities are scams of some sort, makes the calculus much easier imo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Your last sentence belies the jig. Almost everyone in the ultra-niche gaming drama is gross. Gross people recognize they can launder their own images by being involved with taking down someone they perceive as worse rather than in trying to grow in any way.

Anyone familiar with Helldump knows how this goes, indeed. But nowadays you can not only monetise the clout chasing but cancel the competition.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Bumping because of a GBS thread. He must be really financially hosed now.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Is this out yet :f5:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

...! posted:

Is this out yet :f5:

The only thing that's 'out' is Tommy, of money.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Oh oh oh! There was a leaked video of him of reading from one of his books or something, it was amazing.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Agent Escalus posted:

That's a gorgeous house in itself, but wow, the garish interior decoration. :stonk:

I'm not sure whether I'm more repulsed by the Spider Man room or by the creepy Willy Wonka/popcorn cinema corner.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Tree Reformat posted:

I just assume all charities are scams of some sort, makes the calculus much easier imo

99% of charities and NGOs are scams, make-work for the fail-children of wealthy people, or orgs intended to circumvent the democratic process and allow the wealthy to control public policy. Often they are all three.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

FishMcCool posted:

That's a gorgeous house in itself, but wow, the garish interior decoration. :stonk:

I'm not sure whether I'm more repulsed by the Spider Man room or by the creepy Willy Wonka/popcorn cinema corner.

Well, Michael Jackson still had him beat; both men definitely loved Las Vegas and themed resorts so much that they wanted to live in them.

But you should really be repulsed by him putting Houdini's antique handcuffs exhibit above the shitter. I doubt Tommy was..."aware" enough to close the lid before flushing.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

The only thing that's 'out' is Tommy, of money.

Tommy needs money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Agent Escalus posted:

I'm impressed he was able to do all the weird poo poo he did with his house while dealing with an HOA. He deserves another award for that.