Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

The more pressing question is where did they all pick those matching shoulderpad leather duster outfits from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Last Chance posted:

Watched the first part, it was pretty good! Sure, why not take some black pills in a baggie from a guy in a clearly hosed up town. What could go wrong

Evan Peters' character had a good point that yeah pretty much everyone would take those pills if it guaranteed a breakthrough in the entertainment industry

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This new season reminds me of the pointless part of the terrible "Feral" Stories episode, hope it wraps up just as quick. The monsters here aren't scary or interesting for me to not think about things like: do people in town not notice this dance troupe of weirdoes with sharp teeth when they are walking around town, harassing people, or lurking around graveyards. Why is janis jormpjomp filing the losers' teeth?? Do these uniformed street dancers, on their way to menace little girls through windows they never think to break, not draw any attention and seamlessly blend in with other meth heads, who do normal tweaker things and don't dance in the streets in thriller costumes while screeching and brandishing their sharpened teeth. Methhead Hobo Lady is the same to everyone as Bald Gang of Uniformed Choreographers for Cradle of Filth? Why don't the talented pill vampires not eat the untalented blood addicts? Will the Aliens swoop in to save this plot or do we have to wait for this one to be over then get a fresh start with Aliens? Where are the mermaids?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The vampire dancers are hilarious and very stupid, but so is half the poo poo that's tumbled out of Lily Rabe's mouth this season.

Or to use her full name LILY RABE WHO WILL ENTER THIS SCENE PREGNANT STOMACH FIRST.

Khanstant posted:

Why don't the talented pill vampires not eat the untalented blood addicts?

I think this is at least explained by the feral vamp's lack of interest in anyone who's already taken the pill. They seem to crave fresh blood, and not denatured vampire blood.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Where are the mermaids?

They are rendering down mermaid babies to make their drugs, I am calling it now!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Zombie Squared posted:

Given all the pre-hype season conjecture about mer people I am definately calling the muse is made from refined mer people babies. As for the teeth, you have to spend all those locked ipad bucks somewhere!

My probably too obvious guess is: the two halves will tie together because the drug will be an alien invention/consequence. There’s specifically a line in the full series preview that says approximately “we need to make something better, part human, part us”

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'm guessing the AHS writers have not been taking the talent pills, just cocaine like usual.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I forgive AHS a bit more in this series than that anthology series they pooped out. At least the acting is good behind the ripoff of Salem's Lot

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

angerbeet posted:

I'm guessing the AHS writers have not been taking the talent pills, just cocaine like usual.

I laughed pretty hard at the implied joke that Ryan Murphy, in universe, also takes the pills.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah its kind of offputting with that implication but I guess if I ran a show that had millions of hardcore fans id think I was pretty talented too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Yeah its kind of offputting with that implication but I guess if I ran a show that had millions of hardcore fans id think I was pretty talented too.

You found it offputting? I thought it was hilarious.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Open Source Idiom posted:

I laughed pretty hard at the implied joke that Ryan Murphy, in universe, also takes the pills.

I appreciated this joke as well.

I'm also really hoping that this supposedly "brilliant pilot" is going to be revealed at some point to be a Big Bang Theory type comedy. Throwing away your humanity in order to figure out where best to put a fart joke in your script.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
So is this season actually good (season 1, 2) or "i guess we have to settle for this" good (1980s).

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Personally Id say closer to the latter.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

impossible to say only two episodes in, although the season is cut in half this time, so.. maybe? so far so good though.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Evan Peters saying Harry is the best part

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I've really liked the first two episodes, although I'm waiting on the twist because they're just obvious af in all ways. I'm waiting for the full-on descent into crazy, but so far, I've thought it was fun to have the gang all together doing Castle Rock vampires.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a real snobby TV bastard and I'm having fun so far. Definitely feeling more early season vibes than Apocalypse or 1984 vibes personally

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Yeah I'm loving it so far

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I think in Apocalypse and 1984 you can see a couple of the performances were really phoned in, or maybe the casting just wasn't quite right for a few key characters. We're only two episodes in, but the performances feel right. They've finally found a fit for Finn Wittrock, Lily Rabe is really hitting that Shelly Duvall vibe, and Sarah Paulson is :kiss:.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I was surprised they blew their load so early on the kid taking a pill but then I remembered it's a split season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I was surprised they blew their load so early on the kid taking a pill but then I remembered it's a split season.

These shows always went there early on. The last time they did vampires they reached this point around the same time.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

These shows always went there early on. The last time they did vampires they reached this point around the same time.

It felt like much longer lol. To be honest it's that plot point that made me a little iffy on it reoccurring here, but that might be because it was the result of such a stupid, stupid choice of the mom in Hotel.

E: poo poo they never really did deal with the consequences of that in Hotel did they?

E2: Speaking of Hotel, that was the last season they did the character trailers they put out before the premieres. I always thought those were really cool. Oh wait 1984 had one similar. But still. https://youtu.be/0HZ3hOuhid4

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 31, 2021

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Man Hotel had so much promise and nose dived almost as bad as Freak Show. Lady Gaga was perfectly fine but her plotline ruined that season.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
Looking forward to the drug vampire thing losing all weight as every known character starts using them and we resort to being a comedy about a vampire family pursuing their talents and also casually eating people. “Mom, Dad ate my drifter leftovers!” :rolleyes:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
TBH, other than Asylum, I don't think AHS was very good until they got past their music video phase. Roanoke onwards is good stuff, even the intentionally stupid camp seasons like Apocalypse.

Bert of the Forest posted:

Looking forward to the drug vampire thing losing all weight as every known character starts using them and we resort to being a comedy about a vampire family pursuing their talents and also casually eating people. “Mom, Dad ate my drifter leftovers!” :rolleyes:

I think the Mum is gonna end up a sad case. She's got absolutely no talent, and she'll either realise it and leave, or take the pill and become a vogue-pire.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

TBH, other than Asylum, I don't think AHS was very good until they got past their music video phase. Roanoke onwards is good stuff, even the intentionally stupid camp seasons like Apocalypse.

I think the Mum is gonna end up a sad case. She's got absolutely no talent, and she'll either realise it and leave, or take the pill and become a vogue-pire.

And just to twist the knife I bet we'll get a scene that proves unequivocally that her winning the Instagram contest was random, or she was chosen by some pervy exec based on her looks rather than her work or something.

OR, plot twist...she takes it and turns out okay because she does have talent, but it isn't in interior design...

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'm waiting for the twist where everyone bur the mom character dies and she *finally* gets tone-on-tone colours right.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Is the joke meant to be that the entire town is already doing tone-on-tone? Not much up on my interior design principles, as they do not spark joy.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I feel like they are really projecting that Lily Rabe is going to take the pill and actually be the most talented of the group.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

I feel like they are really projecting that Lily Rabe is going to take the pill and actually be the most talented of the group.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking because they keep bringing back her design job. Could have really been any type of job but they probably specifically wrote it in for the creative aspect of it. I fully expect the first half of the season to end like Murder House with the whole family being vamped up, giving birth to vamp baby.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Enjoyed the hell out of the first two episodes, even if it felt approximately as silly and contrived as the last half-dozen seasons of this show, it's still enjoyable for the little moments.

Like Macauley Culkin doing the Kevin McCallister eyebrow-raise while delivering the line: "It's French for rubbing our dicks together :smug:" That seriously made me laugh more than I'd be willing to admit.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

kaworu posted:

Enjoyed the hell out of the first two episodes, even if it felt approximately as silly and contrived as the last half-dozen seasons of this show, it's still enjoyable for the little moments.

Like Macauley Culkin doing the Kevin McCallister eyebrow-raise while delivering the line: "It's French for rubbing our dicks together :smug:" That seriously made me laugh more than I'd be willing to admit.

Yeah this is absolutely where I'm at

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Denis O’Hare’s little scene this week cracked me up.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I think this is at least explained by the feral vamp's lack of interest in anyone who's already taken the pill. They seem to crave fresh blood, and not denatured vampire blood.

This was a great theory until this episode. Why would they risk themselves? They don't care about anyone else. The pale ones are mostly eating animals and pass as druggies. If they get spotted doing crimes they will probably get gunned down by the police as strung out dirtbags.

But they are real quick on the draw to decide to kill another art vampire. This guy is attracting attention, let's kill him.

I think the art vampires are just nuts. Getting your teeth filed down instead of using a knife is nuts. Ignoring the pale ones is nuts. Actively recruiting more writers is nuts.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

3 episodes in and still fantastic

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yeah really liking the acting and cinematography. Script is tight and gets to places. Definitely entertaining.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doltos posted:

Yeah really liking the acting and cinematography. Script is tight and gets to places. Definitely entertaining.

I'm enjoying this season, though a) there were some weirdly motivated shots of feet in the second episode that seemed a bit euugh and b) that entire snuff film subplot was bad.

Definitely did not expect the episode to end the way it did either.

But my rule of thumb with any Ryan Murphy show is to judge the season by how good an episode 3/4s of the way through is, not by how good the first few are. So I'm still undecided.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah but aren't we uhhh halfway through this story at this point? (Two separate stories this season, assuming 5 eps each?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Yeah but aren't we uhhh halfway through this story at this point? (Two separate stories this season, assuming 5 eps each?)

I heard that too, but now I'm hearing it might be 6 and 4.

But yeah, I'm still gonna reserve judgement on this season until we're closer to being done. It's very promising so far though.