Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Cute touch with the house door being installed upside down to invert the cross beam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Completely floored by how they took a generic bitchy agent lady and made her the best character in the show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Completely floored by how they took a generic bitchy agent lady and made her the best character in the show.

Yeah, she's fantastic, particularly since I spent most of the episode expecting her to die horribly.

Leslie Grossman's been a fantastic addition to the cast these last few years, but this feels like her best performance.

(Speaking of dying horribly, I really want someone to yeet that kid off the OMINOUS DOOM TOWER. The actress is fine, but the character's such a horrific piece of poo poo.)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
My problem with her character is a 3m dollar screen play is usually some stupid marvel poo poo

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Doltos posted:

My problem with her character is a 3m dollar screen play is usually some stupid marvel poo poo

Maybe she lied.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I hated the video game episode. It was one of the worst episodes of anything I can remember ever watching.

For me, this and the Dexter finale are like the first match between Rocky and Apollo Creed, although that finale felt terrible as a resolution to an entire series — but unlike this one the narrative world was parsable.

So do people in American Horror Story casually catch up on the latest season of the actual show, which is completely real and not like an American Crime Story biopic version, and them go about their lives casually disinterested in immortal ghosts or about that murderous house's malevolence — and how do the realtors attempt.to hide the murders given three million viewers an episode for season one upon airing?

Mother going all in on a stupid idea without any actual understanding of how every element of what she's trying to do works was fine for me — as someone who is Bipolar 2, unrealistic grandiose excitement but not impossible style delusions, that fit for her motivation/actions rather than simple character flaw impulsiveness. The actress did the best I could ask for of the script.

Her somehow making that game should have been written as some sketchy not at all legit, but to the mom fine looking, foreign programmers scammed her and told her the rights were all secured — and took some lovely game off Steam, changed the character models a bit, then sent it to her as 'her' game.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Maybe she lied.

Or it was a bidding war. I'd be funny, since we're dealing with vampires, if the drug didn't actually make you create better it just put some post hypnotic suggestion stuff into the art.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Facebook Aunt posted:

Maybe she lied.

That was my take on the whole thing. She knew something was up and her main motivation was to figure out why everyone was so talented. Between that and "Quentin Tarantino says you're a better writer than him!" I think it's all just blowing smoke up people's butts so they do what she wants.

I didn't enjoy this episode as much as the first two, but it was still good. The snuff film subplot seemed kind of like a waste of time.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I thought it was really funny that Speed Racer saved the agent's life.

Also a funny comment on Marvel/Disney productions that the result of achieving the pinnacle of artistic creativity is being asked to write the script to the remake of a movie adaptation of a cartoon.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

A Fancy Hat posted:

That was my take on the whole thing. She knew something was up and her main motivation was to figure out why everyone was so talented. Between that and "Quentin Tarantino says you're a better writer than him!" I think it's all just blowing smoke up people's butts so they do what she wants.

That is absolutely what she is doing. I guarantee it. The writers took the normal BS real life agents give them and just ramped it up a little. Not even that much. Also capturing how they view their talent and life is general. Not saying every agent is like that but they took the worst example that their friends bitched about and gave it to Leslie Grossman to chew on. Really good villain and if I was placing a bet I would put my money on her winning.

Chairman Capone posted:

I thought it was really funny that Speed Racer saved the agent's life.

Also a funny comment on Marvel/Disney productions that the result of achieving the pinnacle of artistic creativity is being asked to write the script to the remake of a movie adaptation of a cartoon.
This has been fairly meta season so far. I loved the agent sizing up the desperate broke junkie and choosing a carrot that he couldn't resist: a kingdom of his wildest dreams. Poor Culkin is screwed though as I doubt she wants someone so unreliable permanently around and possibly spilling the secret of golden goose.

Also caught up on American Horror Stories and I enjoyed it. Some episodes are good and others are ok. Only that video game episode annoyed me. That episode started me rolling my eyes then I went along with it and actually enjoyed it until the twist ending. Like the remake of "Demons" and the cannibal family ones quite a bit and hope they keep the anthology series going along.

Still love the AHS 1984 credits song and wish they'd do more experimenting with the AHS theme: like experiment with doom metal version, witch house version, southern country bluesy (akin to season 1 of True Detective) and so on.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

DogsInSpace! posted:

Still love the AHS 1984 credits song and wish they'd do more experimenting with the AHS theme: like experiment with doom metal version, witch house version, southern country bluesy (akin to season 1 of True Detective) and so on.

Have you stuck around for the credits of this season, per chance?

Agreed though, I love the variations on the intros too. I believe Cult had a unique one that was kinda cool. Roanoke was the weakest season because they did away with the intro :colbert:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A Fancy Hat posted:

I didn't enjoy this episode as much as the first two, but it was still good. The snuff film subplot seemed kind of like a waste of time.

The snuff battle further cemented their combat capabilities -- which are not great. They aren't stronger or faster than normal humans, and they can be knocked out by a bonk on the head. Their literal bloodlust gives them some advantage in that they go for the jugular, which is not an expected way to fight among humans.

The little girl kills the cop not because she is a vampire with special powers, but because she is a 9 year old girl who will attack without hesitation or warning and the cop isn't expecting that. The junkie loses his fight because he is a scrawny and unhealthy, and physically no match for a wary buff dude. The art vampires win against their victims because they choose victims that are unhealthy and out of their minds on drugs.

I guess that helps explain why Belle Noire and Austin recruited Harry at all: he's a reasonably fit guy in the prime of his life so probably physically stronger than them and able to act as a sort of bodyguard on kills. Austin is scrawny and Bell is an old woman, so they've probably had close calls where the desperate junkies and criminals they prey upon nearly turned the tables on them. Harry isn't perfect, but they need a guy who won't turn into a feral pale one.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DogsInSpace! posted:

That is absolutely what she is doing. I guarantee it. The writers took the normal BS real life agents give them and just ramped it up a little. Not even that much. Also capturing how they view their talent and life is general. Not saying every agent is like that but they took the worst example that their friends bitched about and gave it to Leslie Grossman to chew on. Really good villain and if I was placing a bet I would put my money on her winning.

I disagree I feel like it was just a throwaway line meant to let the audience quantify how good the writing is in a hamfisted manner.

Kind of like how they keep referring to Quentin Tarantino to invoke some god tier level "you made it" in Hollywood when most likely writers would be shooting after producers, not directors.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder what Tuberculosis Karen was up to this week? Artist or Queen of the pale ones?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Hearty LOL at Frances Conroy's delivery of "your poverty offends me." I think the moral of this season (or this half) is going to be about the horrors of gentrification, sucking places dry.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I dont know if it's just me, but there's just something about this season that just feels like an old episode of Tales from the Crypt. Probably the premise.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Omg they explained how the pale guys got those ridiculous dusters 🤣

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
God drat occipital lobe needs to get the gently caress out of every hack screen writers script. We get it, you watched horror movies in the 80s.

I'm not mad I'm just disappointed that's the big reveal to the drug

Doltos fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 10, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought that was a stall. I was talking to a friend, and we really expected the season to open up a bit more, maybe do something with a wider scope -- something Lovecraftian maybe, who knows.

There were some good gags in the episode, e.g. the clothing reveal, or the completely nonsense backstory moment with Hot Topic Vampire. And anything that allows Frances Conroy to take centre stage is good.

But it felt really boring, for the most part. And I dunno if I'm really there for two more episodes of vampire junkies ripping each other apart.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think it's a nice touch that the untalented vampire also can't act

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I was hoping the whole point of smooshing two mini-seasons into one run was so that we could avoid filler episodes like this one. I mean all it did was answer questions that I really didn't have. I preferred to paint the picture of how all these tragic characters ended up in their current positions in my imagination. To spell it out like this felt like some serious wheel spinning, especially when no new information was revealed and everything unfolded pretty predictably

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It still didn't explain drinking blood either. With the explanation given the vamps should be down at the supermarket bolting can after can of Ensure.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Chemist is real bad at science too.

Everybody who takes the drug becomes aggressive. Creative types are angry because they are better than everyone else, non-creatives are angry because they have to face the fact that they are losers. What? How could you possibly come to that conclusion from animal studies? She doesn't learn it from human studies because she spouts it off to the first pale one.

It's better to leave a mystery than to give a real dumb explanation.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Everybody who takes the drug becomes aggressive. Creative types are angry because they are better than everyone else, non-creatives are angry because they have to face the fact that they are losers. What? How could you possibly come to that conclusion from animal studies? She doesn't learn it from human studies because she spouts it off to the first pale one.

100%. I was willing to let them hand wave science, but with that attempt, they shouldn't have even bothered.

I was generally pretty let down when we met The Chemist. I guess it's supposed to be quirky and subversive that she's incredibly chic and cool, but on this show where even the junkie under the bridge has a chiseled jaw and carefully manicured beard, she just seems boring in comparison. I guess I had really built up expectations in my head of the various ways they could present the Capital C Chemist, and I should not have done that.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I liked the video game episode. It was supposed to be like a 90s outer limits episode or something about video games, written by someone who has never actually played a video game. All the stupid impossibilities were 100% intentional. The plot itself was 5/10 but the framing device was perfect.

edit: this describes WHY it was perfect. you don't think they realized this makes zero sense? that's the whole point! it was hilarious.

Facebook Aunt posted:

It was flat out terrible. By the time I got to the end I had no idea what, if anything, was 'real' in the episode. And not in a cool twist way or "that's a thinker" way, there were just no handholds to grab onto.

Like both the tv show and the murder house were real. AHS was shows about real haunted houses and stuff. The way the mom dealt with psych dad, it seems like both Ben Harmon and actor Dylan McDermott exist in her reality, and they are basically twins -- she thought the ghost of Ben Harmon was actually actor Dylan McDermott just hanging out at the house on Halloween messing with people. Or maybe that was part of the game and she never went to the house in person at all.

She made a videogame about herself making a videogame. Terrible.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 10, 2021

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

timp posted:

100%. I was willing to let them hand wave science, but with that attempt, they shouldn't have even bothered.

The weird thing is, it’s a drug that affects your brain, just say it overstimulates the aggression centers in all cases. Why make it a philosophical thing about them thinking about their own talent? It’s not like anyone hasn’t heard of drugs that alter mood/personality.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

That sting at the end, with the untalented vampire popping from behind the drag queen, i haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

I don't get how belle is supposed to be inherently talented. Like, her George Washington erotica seemed really really bad. Her husband even said her new book post-pill was actually good, compared to her previous crap.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Walrus posted:

I liked the video game episode. It was supposed to be like a 90s outer limits episode or something about video games, written by someone who has never actually played a video game. All the stupid impossibilities were 100% intentional. The plot itself was 5/10 but the framing device was perfect.

edit: this describes WHY it was perfect. you don't think they realized this makes zero sense? that's the whole point! it was hilarious.

I don't think that was the point

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

killer crane posted:

That sting at the end, with the untalented vampire popping from behind the drag queen, i haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

I don't get how belle is supposed to be inherently talented. Like, her George Washington erotica seemed really really bad. Her husband even said her new book post-pill was actually good, compared to her previous crap.

Its a problem Ive had the whole series. Each person theyve shown take the pill (besides the daughter and I guess Macauly) they arent really showing as talented? It seems theyre untalented and the pill makes them talented which seems to be the opposite as how they told us the pill works.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

At first I kinda felt like this plot point was a little thin, but I've come around to thinking it actually could rock.

The central metaphor of the show is that there are a bunch of predatory Hollywood writers running around sucking the blood dry from working class people to sustain their art.

All the predators unquestionably believe that their literal drinking of human blood is actually a miracle helping them produce good art. But in terms of evidence in the show, we can only empirically say that the drug:
-strips away anxiety that interferes with them creating art
-makes its users hyperfocus on specific tasks for long periods of time
-strips away all self control
-lifts their already buck wild delusions of grandeur to such lofty heights that they think its literally okay to murder people and drink their blood.

If the professional vampires are basically just vibing off a high and using "I need it to make good art" to justify a pointless serial murder spree - well, that would absolutely on point for the Hollywood metaphor.

All the predators taking it on faith that the people who take the drug and turn into failure vampires are actually just not talented like them, rather than the reasonable assumption that they got lucky on a dice roll with really bad odds, is also totally on brand for the central metaphor.

It's possible that this reading might be fully refuted by the text in the next two episodes, its possible that it might move from subtext to outright text, or its possible it will stay subtext. In any case, the show is working for me right now. That last episode was both a flashback episode and a character study with little to no plot development, and despite that I still enjoyed it. Also That plot reveal explaining why all the feral vampires are wearing scene clothes was absolutely hilarious.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Evan Peters doing a Miss Piggy HIIII-YA kick at that door negates any complaints about the rest of the ep.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Cael posted:

Evan Peters doing a Miss Piggy HIIII-YA kick at that door negates any complaints about the rest of the ep.

I could not stop laughing at that, definitely the highlight of the episode.

Belle's husband did not seem like a real person at all. I know it's AHS, but this dude should have been wearing a shirt that said "I'm Gonna Die Soon Because I'm a Jerk". I did laugh at his enthusiasm for that haunted dune tour, though.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think the character was somewhat realistic, just crammed down to get in and get out in 45s of screen time. I think the real issue is that they missed a chance to make the husband caring and helpful before she killed him, showing the real descent into her current state.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rob Filter posted:

At first I kinda felt like this plot point was a little thin, but I've come around to thinking it actually could rock.

The central metaphor of the show is that there are a bunch of predatory Hollywood writers running around sucking the blood dry from working class people to sustain their art.

All the predators unquestionably believe that their literal drinking of human blood is actually a miracle helping them produce good art. But in terms of evidence in the show, we can only empirically say that the drug:
-strips away anxiety that interferes with them creating art
-makes its users hyperfocus on specific tasks for long periods of time
-strips away all self control
-lifts their already buck wild delusions of grandeur to such lofty heights that they think its literally okay to murder people and drink their blood.

If the professional vampires are basically just vibing off a high and using "I need it to make good art" to justify a pointless serial murder spree - well, that would absolutely on point for the Hollywood metaphor.

All the predators taking it on faith that the people who take the drug and turn into failure vampires are actually just not talented like them, rather than the reasonable assumption that they got lucky on a dice roll with really bad odds, is also totally on brand for the central metaphor.

It's possible that this reading might be fully refuted by the text in the next two episodes, its possible that it might move from subtext to outright text, or its possible it will stay subtext. In any case, the show is working for me right now. That last episode was both a flashback episode and a character study with little to no plot development, and despite that I still enjoyed it. Also That plot reveal explaining why all the feral vampires are wearing scene clothes was absolutely hilarious.

Yeah the only way any of this series makes sense is if the characters are just flat out wrong about the things they spout off as 'fact'. The drug flat out causes violent psychosis in everyone who takes it. In some subjects it also causes a productive manic episode. Dressing it up as anything else is just making the narcissistic assholes feel better about themselves.

It is weird that the art vampires have to keep taking it or revert to normal, they can take summers off to go on book tours, but the pale ones are hosed forever after a single dose. What's up with that?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

In 5 years not a single pale one has been taken to the hospital or arrested? Apparently the previous sheriff was lazy as hell, but still. Guys are out there eating small animals and someone is going to raise hell when all the cats start going missing.

If the main problem is nutritional deficiencies the pros at the hospital can definitely fix that up with a few vitamin shots and some nutrient goo. There's no way eating human blood is the most efficient source of nutrients.

e: I am enjoying this very silly show.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 10, 2021

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I hope there’s a twist where talent never actually mattered and it was always completely random who turned into a mindless vampire. Watching these self absorbed assholes get their egos kicked straight in the nuts would amuse me greatly.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

This feels like the best season in a while, but I'm one episode behind.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Now I'm hoping the season ends with the bald goth vampires being a talented a cappella group all along, and it all end in a big musical number.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Talentless fame vampires become a boy band and attract the attention of KPOP stans somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

Omg they explained how the pale guys got those ridiculous dusters 🤣

honestly they scrambled for answers to pretty much all the annoying questions I had about the vamp goons and art vamps that I've come around to enjoying this season. I really wasn't expecting them to actually explain the outfits, thought they were just gonna leave that for us to just Accept, but I appreciate that they thought about it and squeezed in an explanation.

I still hope they come up with some better motivations for the chemist though, small money, half-rear end research, being responsible for creating cannibals and their murders, inexplicably not being murdered by ever increasingly horde of crazed drug addled mooks. I'm hoping she's sprinkling some demon runes or alien nanobots or mermaid eyelashes or something more magic for an ulterior motive we'll discover whenever the other stuff shows up.