Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Last Chance posted:

I'd recommend Netflix's show Midnight Mass to this thread who was supremely disappointed by this (half) season of AHS. I couldn't make it much beyond this season's flashback episode.

Definitely not. Midnight Mass is horribly slow and generic. Probably Flannigan's worse work since Absentia.

1. Boring vampire story
2. Quasi salems lot rip off
3. Two actors are put in crappy old person makeup which gives away the entire plot from the get go
4. Enough dialogue about religious hypocrisy to make /r/athiesm blush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

GreenNight posted:

Nothing in the entire season made any sense. Where the gently caress are the cops? One cop? No one saw these assholes hanging around running people down? Christ.

In horror cops are incompetent or malevolent. The protagonists/victims need to be isolated in some way, unable to get help. If you can just call 911 and useful help arrives in a timely manner it's not that scary.

Everybody carrying a device that is a phone, flashlight, and high definition camera in their pocket at all times is a real bummer for horror. How are you gonna have a mystery when everyone under 30 reflexively lifts up their phone and starts recording whenever poo poo goes down?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I liked that they tried to excuse the town being dumb as hell by saying everyone with influence was kinda in on it. They just let the art vampires go around doing murders because having famous people winter there is good for tourism. lol

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Everybody carrying a device that is a phone, flashlight, and high definition camera in their pocket at all times is a real bummer for horror. How are you gonna have a mystery when everyone under 30 reflexively lifts up their phone and starts recording whenever poo poo goes down?

One of the only good episodes of the X-Files revival was about Mulder having a crisis of faith when he realized this, and how it meant that all the mystery stuff he believed in probably wasn't actually happening if it wasn't being caught on phone cameras all the time.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Facebook Aunt posted:

RL Stein has talked about how this has made writing his books much more difficult.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The time for period piece horror is now!

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Doltos posted:

Definitely not. Midnight Mass is horribly slow and generic. Probably Flannigan's worse work since Absentia.

1. Boring vampire story
3. Two actors are put in crappy old person makeup which gives away the entire plot from the get go

Counterpoint - this opinion is wrong and Midnight Mass is possibly the most actually horrific work in its particular genre in decades.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TheWorldsaStage posted:

The time for period piece horror is now!

Yep. Setting horror in the 80s isn't solely for nostalgia purposes.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

Counterpoint - this opinion is wrong and Midnight Mass is possibly the most actually horrific work in its particular genre in decades.

Yeah I really liked it

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

In horror cops are incompetent or malevolent. The protagonists/victims need to be isolated in some way, unable to get help. If you can just call 911 and useful help arrives in a timely manner it's not that scary.

If the show was three notches lower then I'd have no problems because of all you said. Them writting off all the murders due to it being criminals and undesirables was fine, plus it worked for the horror of how we disregard the fringes of society, but trying to hand waive a dead cop loses it for me — dead police get too much attention and require writers putting in at least some small effort.

You could have never had the cop character and the plot would be 99% intact.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

If the show was three notches lower then I'd have no problems because of all you said. Them writting off all the murders due to it being criminals and undesirables was fine, plus it worked for the horror of how we disregard the fringes of society, but trying to hand waive a dead cop loses it for me — dead police get too much attention and require writers putting in at least some small effort.

You could have never had the cop character and the plot would be 99% intact.

Yeah by the time the state police are called in you done hosed up good and the problem won't just go away. Pinning the bizarre mass murder on a rando who had been in town for a few weeks doesn't seem like it will solve the town's problem. The state police and their crime lab will have to be incredibly incompetent and lazy to not notice that half the 'victims' have other people's blood in their mouths and everyone has shark teeth. They are going to get warrants to search the dead art vampire's houses, and they are going to find more traces of human blood all over the place.

A mass murder is going to make the news. The fact that it includes 3 famous writers means it will make the national news. The strange circumstances will keep it in the news. There is no way the town council is going to be able to hush this up. And there are still vampires hanging around town, at the very least the tattoo artist and pale mom, so the weird killings are going to continue. The town is hosed.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Memnaelar posted:

Yeah it's horrifically boring

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
^^^ Just watched the first episode because of this debate. It seems fine if a bit bleak? Kind of wondering what that director has against cats since this isn't the first show he's murdered them in.

LOL, god can you imagine if the police caught onto the teeth thing? The whole town may as well have secret tatoos that says "I do murders, please check my cell phone location records".

Also the dead cop thing bugged the poo poo out of me because while police are largely useless they take murders of their own pretty seriously in the same way gangs do. A cop turns up dead like that and I guarantee that area would be swarming the next day with pigs with itchy trigger fingers. Of course, it's a problem easily fixed with a tactfully administered bribe to the right people (which is how the problem should have been addressed by the vampires in the show) but the point is that the cops wouldn't just drop the matter on their own like that.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 29, 2021

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Doltos posted:

Yeah it's horrifically boring

I'm glad to see you've got quality control across the board and it's not just an NBA thing.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Well, I wasn't expecting mpreg to show up in AHS, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Death Valley has the best intro

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Altared State posted:

Death Valley has the best intro

It's good, but I think Cult are 1984 are the best, just for being the most original takes.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Currently watching ep 1 of new season:

Black and white opening sequence rules as does the new opening.

Episode lost a lot of good will when it changed settings to the modern day to focus on yuppie assholes. The lame excuse to not have cell phones was really forced as well.

I liked the cow part. That was neat. :3:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Aaand done. That was certainly a setup for a season. Kind of mad the whole thing doesn’t take place in the 50’s but credit where it’s due I am now curious to see where this thing goes.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Is the blonde gay guy the same guy Alma eats in LA? The "hustler" that Ursula lures into their "backyard shack"?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

That midepisode transition sucked so much rear end it got giardia. If they didn't have the character intro cards it would have been fine, but what loving show does that? What am I even watching?

I really hope they stick with the luddite poo poo, and it ends up aliens are controlling us through technology (the past 50 years tech talk in a show split between narratives over 50 years apart, like foreshadowing). It'll be like black mirror, but through the tongue in cheek gauche AHS lens. I have hopes, I shouldn't, but I do.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah first half of the episode ruled when it was about main character Ike Eisenhower learning about aliens and completely switched to sucking when it swapped to lovely yuppie kids including Crawford's insufferable daughter who already stunk up the anthology series

Hopefully we get more of the former and less of the latter but I just do not get why you would start with such a strong premise and then intentionally nose dive like that

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Because the average viewer doesn't really want a 1950s sci fi serial. I think AHS is a bit too mainstream to risk going full black and white.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Doltos posted:

Because the average viewer doesn't really want a 1950s sci fi serial. I think AHS is a bit too mainstream to risk going full black and white.

Color would have been ok if that was the compromise for a whole (half) season of 50's Housewife Harbinger of Death.

Three out of the four college students are unlikable as gently caress archetypes and goddamnit

E: Jaime. Jaime is the cool one.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 2, 2021

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I feel like goons are not the target audience for this media.

Also the cgi in the black and white section was bad. Surprisingly bad. And I wish they'd gotten lady gaga for the italian-american housewife turned head exploding alien queen. And/or Macaulay Culkin as the luddite professor.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Elephunk posted:

Is the blonde gay guy the same guy Alma eats in LA? The "hustler" that Ursula lures into their "backyard shack"?

Nah he’s from the BRO HOUSE episode of AHStories.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I haven't got a chance to see the second half, but forgot to ask before — is it just me or was Evan Peters either busy, not into it, or a casualty of weird editing?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

1. Boring vampire story

I just finished this show and lol drat you were wrong. Midnight Mass owns.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

God drat, they had Ike Eisenhower shoot a baby. This season is the best.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

readingatwork posted:

I just finished this show and lol drat you were wrong. Midnight Mass owns.

I know this is a small microcosm of the internet but you guys make me depressed at the current state of horror

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I don't know what was worse, that Nixon impression or that JFK impression.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Now it makes sense that they made all the college kids so annoying. Just a bunch of shallow silver spoon fuckers.

They probably weren't even chosen targets, they just happened to be in hickville on the wrong day. I bet they don't usually experiment on affluent kids from good families.

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't know what was worse, that Nixon impression or that JFK impression.

Those were both very bad.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I mean, it's implied that Steve Jobs is a super alien baby birther, so maybe there is some weird selection to the process.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

killer crane posted:

I mean, it's implied that Steve Jobs is a super alien baby birther, so maybe there is some weird selection to the process.

Hmm, I didn't get that. I assumed he was one of the people transferring alien tech to the masses. Possibly using a portion of those profits to fund the maternity ward. That's why the place looks like an apple store.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Doltos posted:

I know this is a small microcosm of the internet but you guys make me depressed at the current state of horror

So, setting aside how wrong you are about Midnight Mass and how silly you sound making statements about your boo-hoo depression, do you have any *good* examples from the last five years of horror that you think buck the trend of that current state that's getting you down?

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

I'm enjoying the second half of this AHS season quite a bit more than the first half. The hammy acting and absurd characters (Nixon, Kennedy) are a staple for this franchise and should be embraced. American Horror Story at its best is entertaining campy nonsense, which this second half is shaping up to be. You can't expect realistic sensitive portrayals of famous historical figures in this show, they've always been caricatures..

Also chiming in to say that guy earlier in the thread could not be more wrong about Midnight Mass. It's Mike Flanagan's best work so far and I absolutely loved it. The guy who plays the priest deserves all the awards, he was spellbinding. It may be a Salem's Lot ripoff, but I'd argue it's far superior and more effective than Salem's Lot.

Mike Flanagan's TV work can be hit or miss. I enjoyed the first Haunting of Hill House, but found the follow up series, Haunting of Bly Manor to be dreadfully dull and overlong. Midnight Mass was perfect for a horror miniseries.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

lynch_69 posted:

The guy who plays the priest deserves all the awards, he was spellbinding.

I'm genuinely surprised Hamish Linklater didn't turn up in AHS this season, given that he's in Lily Rabe's covid bubble.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Memnaelar posted:

So, setting aside how wrong you are about Midnight Mass and how silly you sound making statements about your boo-hoo depression, do you have any *good* examples from the last five years of horror that you think buck the trend of that current state that's getting you down?

I dislike that A24 and the companies that are aping them slapping after-wrap shots of horror onto dramas. I don't think every A24 film is bad, it's just that a lot of them get undeserved praise. People watch movies with ponderous scripts then declare them to be smart or artistic.

As for Midnight Mass, it dragged hard. There were constant monologues and obvious plot beats. I also don't know where you get the boo-hoo depression from. I'm saying it's sad that you eat up poo poo like Midnight Mass.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Midnight Mass was fine to play in the background. Those 20 minute monologues would be awful and boring if I tried to sit down and watch it at full attention.

I'm glad there's never any reason to monologue in American Horror Stories, cause the plot doesn't really matter that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doltos posted:

I dislike that A24 and the companies that are aping them slapping after-wrap shots of horror onto dramas.

Ehat films are you thinking about? I think the only A24 horror films I've seen are Hereditary and Midsummer, though I suspect you're not talking about either of them.

In terms of TV horror, this show is barely that, and while I agree about Flanagan, I have been impressed with what Nick Antosca's been doing the last five years or so. Slasher became a pretty decent horror comedy series as well. Castle Rock wasn't particularly chilling, but I thought it was moving, intelligent and well constructed. So I reckon there is stuff out there, if not abundantly.

killer crane posted:

Midnight Mass was fine to play in the background. Those 20 minute monologues would be awful and boring if I tried to sit down and watch it at full attention.

I'm glad there's never any reason to monologue in American Horror Stories, cause the plot doesn't really matter that much.

I like to think that aspiring American Horror Story writers hand in talking drafts concerning man's enmeshment with machinery only to receive notes like "Instead of saying all this, I think her head should explode" and "Not enough references to acidic cum".

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 8, 2021