Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Open Source Idiom posted:

Ehat films are you thinking about? I think the only A24 horror films I've seen are Hereditary and Midsummer, though I suspect you're not talking about either of them.

I am pretty much talking about Hereditary and Midsommar. I think both those films dragged way too long and the horror elements were scant or body horror that current audiences aren't used to for some reason. I mean when the head popped off in Hereditary it was literally a mannequin sticking its body halfway out which is lower production value and less believable than some 80s gore horror. But either way like I said I don't dislike all A24 or slower films. I think the VVitch is one of the best horrors ever made, and even dramas that have tacked on horror like Saint Maud were extremely good films.

I think that Midnight Mass falls more towards the Hereditary side than the VVitch side. I just don't get the enjoyment and I can't see how people watch that stuff without having their cellphone out sometimes. Not that slow is boring, but slow plus ponderous is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Doltos posted:

I am pretty much talking about Hereditary and Midsommar. I think both those films dragged way too long and the horror elements were scant or body horror that current audiences aren't used to for some reason. I mean when the head popped off in Hereditary it was literally a mannequin sticking its body halfway out which is lower production value and less believable than some 80s gore horror. But either way like I said I don't dislike all A24 or slower films. I think the VVitch is one of the best horrors ever made, and even dramas that have tacked on horror like Saint Maud were extremely good films.

I think that Midnight Mass falls more towards the Hereditary side than the VVitch side. I just don't get the enjoyment and I can't see how people watch that stuff without having their cellphone out sometimes. Not that slow is boring, but slow plus ponderous is.

I watch a lot of horror movies at 1.25x speed, at least for the first half. If I let my mind wander I might miss something, but speeding it up keeps me engaged. Most services automatically adjust the pitch so speeding the movie up doesn't make them sound like chipmunks.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Lmao monologuing about "the state of horror" making you sad sounds like something that would be in an A24 film.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Doltos posted:

I know this is a small microcosm of the internet but you guys make me depressed at the current state of horror

Yes, and most major horror writers film makers on Twitter are raving about midnight mass because it’s loving great.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Lmao monologuing about "the state of horror" making you sad sounds like something that would be in an A24 film.

Yea but the difference is it wasn't over 10 pages with people quoting me saying it's brilliant

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Sarah Paulson is a national treasure. "He loved my fudge."

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
That birthing scene at the end was :stare:. And then :gonk:

This is a surprisingly decent mini season of 3 stories.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
On the one hand I want to be sour because what is arguably the best season of AHS since Asylum is only 4 episodes long

But on the other hand, that's probably why it's actually good

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

4 episodes doesn't give you any time to mess around, I think this might be the best way to do AHS.

The current timeline stuff especially feels very compact and to the point. Kids go camping, get abducted, end up pregnant in Area 51. The stuff that would normally end up in a weird, meandering subplot (Steve Jobs is alive, the anti-tech professor) just gets to stand on its own as a little bit of world building.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

You know you've now cursed us with the next episode being a flashback to explain Steve Jobs and the luddite professor, and other unimportant subplots.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
By the way, did the name Valiant Thor set off anybody else's "too weird to be made up by AHS" alarm? Cause it definitely set mine off. I googled and, sure enough, it's from a real conspiracy theory involving Eisenhower and aliens.

https://wcpi.ca/valiant_thor/

For a moment I thought it was just a way to shoehorn Cody Fern in, because "creepy well-dressed slightly aloof fancy man who turns out to be a robot" is undoubtedly a great fit. Turns out it's an even better fit than I realized because it fits directly with the subject matter.

A Fancy Hat posted:

4 episodes doesn't give you any time to mess around, I think this might be the best way to do AHS.

The current timeline stuff especially feels very compact and to the point. Kids go camping, get abducted, end up pregnant in Area 51. The stuff that would normally end up in a weird, meandering subplot (Steve Jobs is alive, the anti-tech professor) just gets to stand on its own as a little bit of world building.

So true. Just like with the clunker episode in Part 1 where they tried to go back and explain stuff. Some stuff is better unexplained!

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Doltos posted:

Yea but the difference is it wasn't over 10 pages with people quoting me saying it's brilliant

I think I missed the part where you gave me an example of a *good* movie from the past five years that hasn't depressed you about "the state of horror."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

timp posted:

On the one hand I want to be sour because what is arguably the best season of AHS since Asylum is only 4 episodes long

But on the other hand, that's probably why it's actually good

Also the only two seasons to involve aliens. Coincidence? Or just an unsolved mystery?

I did like that in the first episode of this mini-season, the girl mentions Betty and Barney Hill, who were part of the inspiration for the Asylum alien plot. Though I did think it was a missed opportunity for her not to actually look up Kit and Alma Walker rather than the Hills.

timp posted:

By the way, did the name Valiant Thor set off anybody else's "too weird to be made up by AHS" alarm? Cause it definitely set mine off. I googled and, sure enough, it's from a real conspiracy theory involving Eisenhower and aliens.

This whole season has been based on a conspiracy theory about Eisenhower making a treaty with aliens that popped up in the late 70s. As kind of a tie-in to this episode, a lot of UFO folklorists will point out that the claim that aliens landed on a military base in the West and made a treaty with the government somehow developed and started spreading right after Close Encounters of the Third Kind came out.

Speaking of Valiant Thor, I did have a chuckle at this episode having the aliens tell the US in a scene set in October 1957 that their technology is decades ahead of the Soviets, only to then reveal that the US space program is entirely a hoax while (presumably) the Soviets actually did do all their space achievements.

killer crane posted:

You know you've now cursed us with the next episode being a flashback to explain Steve Jobs and the luddite professor, and other unimportant subplots.

Well, the next episode is the last, so that would definitely be a double downer if that's what is covered!

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

timp posted:

https://wcpi.ca/valiant_thor/

For a moment I thought it was just a way to shoehorn Cody Fern in, because "creepy well-dressed slightly aloof fancy man who turns out to be a robot" is undoubtedly a great fit. Turns out it's an even better fit than I realized because it fits directly with the subject matter.

So true. Just like with the clunker episode in Part 1 where they tried to go back and explain stuff. Some stuff is better unexplained!

There's a band named Valiant Thorr, I didn't know it was an actual thing. I guess the name fits since they claim to be aliens.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
This show is such a facepalmer. That ending to Episode 9 had me laughing into my fingers for a solid half-minute. So incredibly dumb, yet decent popcorn all the same.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Memnaelar posted:

I think I missed the part where you gave me an example of a *good* movie from the past five years that hasn't depressed you about "the state of horror."

I listed a couple for A24 but my list for the last five years is:

The Endless
The Color Out of Space
Host
The Void
The Lighthouse
The Autopsy of Jane Doe
Train to Busan
I Am Not A Serial Killer
Saint Maud
Rent - A - Pal
Censor
His House
The Witch

Even most of those are pretty meh. It's really that the big names like Hereditary, Midsommar, the Babadook, and It Follows taught directors that they can just slap drama on to something and call it horror while being repetitive and droning. Get Out and A Quiet Place are so unbelievably overrated that it feels like audiences are starved for anything that has an interesting plot, much less being scary.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Doltos posted:

I listed a couple for A24 but my list for the last five years is:

The Endless
The Color Out of Space
Host
The Void
The Lighthouse
The Autopsy of Jane Doe
Train to Busan
I Am Not A Serial Killer
Saint Maud
Rent - A - Pal
Censor
His House
The Witch

Even most of those are pretty meh. It's really that the big names like Hereditary, Midsommar, the Babadook, and It Follows taught directors that they can just slap drama on to something and call it horror while being repetitive and droning. Get Out and A Quiet Place are so unbelievably overrated that it feels like audiences are starved for anything that has an interesting plot, much less being scary.

I liked quite a few that you list there; it's weird that you list them off as examples of "good" but then say most of them are "pretty meh." I suppose I'm glad I'm able to like as much as I do.

I mean, of those, is there any you can unreservedly say. "I really like what it did" or have the last five years really been that hard on you?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I promise this isn't a build-up to you actually exposing some true part of your soul, getting all vulnerable in admitting without cynicism that something touched you, and me turning around and responding "LOL that one sucked tho."

...or is it? ;-)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Memnaelar posted:

I liked quite a few that you list there; it's weird that you list them off as examples of "good" but then say most of them are "pretty meh." I suppose I'm glad I'm able to like as much as I do.

I mean, of those, is there any you can unreservedly say. "I really like what it did" or have the last five years really been that hard on you?

Just nix censor, saint maud, his house, rent-a-pal, I am not a serial killer, and every other slow burner except for the Witch and Lighthouse and that's my list of I really like what it did. Really slow burners aren't that bad but movies insist on being an hour and 30 minutes long so you end up watching most of them and getting the point 5 minutes in then being subjected to 85 more minutes of quiet dialogue.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
What in the gently caress was that finale

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

First time?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

Perfection.

All the young people died, Henry Kissinger is a lizard person, the aliens were after our thetans. Just perfect.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I like drama so I guess I don't see anything wrong with it. Plus I feel like drama and horror were always pretty closely linked anyway. Life and death stakes are one of the most dramatic things I can think of.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
What a poo poo season. Just endless reams of undrammatic exposition.

Frances Conroy was good at least, in the first half.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

lol that was it?

yeah this is a totally forgettable season

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I feel like the alien half could have used one more episode, and the Provincetown half could have used one fewer episode.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I really liked the black and white scenes and the send ups of Kissinger, Nixon, and LBJ. They shouldn't have had the time jumps to the future running throughout the season. Just a missed opportunity to suddenly switch to color and show a present day situation.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Doltos posted:

I really liked the black and white scenes and the send ups of Kissinger, Nixon, and LBJ. They shouldn't have had the time jumps to the future running throughout the season. Just a missed opportunity to suddenly switch to color and show a present day situation.

Yeah, having just watched it I can't help but feel it would've played better in chronological order (and then made it kind of a big thing when all the characters from the black and white segments show up again at the very end, and then made the ending not a mess, and etc etc)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The finale didn't really feel it wrapped anything up. It just kinda stopped. It also felt like the reptilian thing might go somewhere and then they're like 'Oh, yeah, them, no big deal'

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

As an end to a normal story written by humans it wasn't very good, but compared to other AHS seasons this was a fantastic ending.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

It was good that it had an ending.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm finally caught up and that was... something. The back half of the season was fun but yeah that was really abrupt

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1V141mjQ3E

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

watched the first episode. meh. just like last years. of course they have to make a callback to a previous AHS season out of the blue

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

I love how indecipherable the ending would be to someone who has never watched american horror story. Was anyone desperately wanting to know Spaulding's backstory?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The alien half of last season was a "skip" for me. Still pissed no mermaids.

Was still excited to see new Stories pop up!
Sexy Clown Mommy was maybe going to be a pretty standard evil wins until the pivot at the end which didn't feel very earned. I think I'd like the ending more if they chucked the kid in the well instead of letting him tag along.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So apparently there's beensome drama happening in the non-SA AHS fandom community. A few weeks ago most of the major AHS twitter feeds got tired of posting into the void and published an open letter declaring their intent to stop promoting the show until there was some season 11 news to promote. The "strike" began Monday, and one day later, FX complied by acknowledging during a media event that season 11 is definitely going to happen. There are no actual details like a date or theme yet, but it's more than we had before. Collective action works, now let's do it in our real jobs

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

haveblue posted:

So apparently there's beensome drama happening in the non-SA AHS fandom community. A few weeks ago most of the major AHS twitter feeds got tired of posting into the void and published an open letter declaring their intent to stop promoting the show until there was some season 11 news to promote. The "strike" began Monday, and one day later, FX complied by acknowledging during a media event that season 11 is definitely going to happen. There are no actual details like a date or theme yet, but it's more than we had before. Collective action works, now let's do it in our real jobs

poo poo that's actually pretty cool

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

haveblue posted:

What the gently caress is an AHS news account.

Seriously I read that entire open letter and I'm still not entirely sure what the dynamic is here. They all have unique logos and regional designators? Is it a volunteer fan-based thing, or are they paid affiliates of FX/AHS? Is this common for TV series??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I think they're just AHS stans, and effectively are free promotion for Fox. They're also the ones seeing internet engagement waning with nothing new coming out. They feel like they've developed a symbiotic relationship with the show, and are threatening to stop that relationship if Fox remains silent about the upcoming season.