Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

That was special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
No second surprise but the Punk stuff made it all good.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/KENTAG2S/status/1428916489151815683

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

god drat

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I genuinely dont know how they ran a 1 hour show with 3 matches, a bunch of commercials, and a CM Punk return where he was seemingly allowed to go at his own pace and managed to finish at 11pm on the dot.

Not even comparing to the other company and how little they can do in 3 hours, thats just impressive show running.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm so happy for him

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

EL BROMANCE posted:

I genuinely dont know how they ran a 1 hour show with 3 matches, a bunch of commercials, and a CM Punk return where he was seemingly allowed to go at his own pace and managed to finish at 11pm on the dot.

Not even comparing to the other company and how little they can do in 3 hours, thats just impressive show running.

Rampage is such a good format

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

:emptyquote:

The Punchsport Pagoda: https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=177

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
ty to whichever admin rescued the thread.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

Can't wait until Bryan Danielson shows up.

God, given how hot that crowd was, I expect them to similarly lose their poo poo to Final Countdown.

That was amazing, and I'm a mark again.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
No ice cream bar report?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think it was more of a symbolic thing. didn't see anyone with an actual ice cream bar

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The ice cream is real, my friends:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

:witch:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i dont want the party to be over guys

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.
Man that was a fun show
AEW has been killing it lately I seriously don't get the hate I see on twitter and facebook.
It's just fun to watch. I'm not the hugest punk fan but what a moment biggest pop in years and I'm hype for him vs Darby.
Also I want an ice cream bar :(

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
just rewatched the first 20 minutes again, still insane

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

now do dbry

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

boxcarhobo posted:

now do dbry

Just do literally the exact same thing

Announce you booked a huge arena in Seattle, cut to Darby backstage with Sting, have him cut the exact same promo with "Best in the World" replaced with "the GOAT

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Introduce a new wrestler with just a giant loving head. loving huge. Have him laugh that his head is so large that nobody will ever be able to kick it in. Then let nature take its course.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I mean I'd love for her to show up again soon too but I think we'll get a lot more lead-up to the first actual intergender match

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

El Generico posted:

Announce you booked a huge arena in Seattle, cut to Darby backstage with Sting, have him cut the exact same promo with "Best in the World" replaced with "the GOAT

honestly i just realized that tony was probably talking about dbry debut when he said they "unlocked a new format" or whatever, they'll probably let him come out at the top of whatever show he debuts on

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

El Generico posted:

theyre gonna sell out the tacoma dome

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
One of the top 3 moments Ive ever seen in 25 years of watching wrestling.

And the hell of it is that I knew it was coming, and yet somehow it was even better than I could have imagined.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

boxcarhobo posted:

honestly i just realized that tony was probably talking about dbry debut when he said they "unlocked a new format" or whatever, they'll probably let him come out at the top of whatever show he debuts on

I feel like he might have been talking about the arrangement of commercial breaks because it feels like there was one right after they introduced Punk and then there were no breaks until like 20 minutes later, then the back half was loaded with ads. really let punk speak his mind.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i dont want the party to be over guys

The party is just starting my man

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Jerusalem posted:

Introduce a new wrestler with just a giant loving head. loving huge. Have him laugh that his head is so large that nobody will ever be able to kick it in. Then let nature take its course.

nah, al snow can stay away

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

he had a kid so he had to make full transformation into a dad and i'm all for it

I'm ok with chunky Mox because it is less weird than seeing him wrestle in trunks

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

BDawg posted:

No ice cream bar report?

They were quality and not too big. I got mine out of a fresh box so the inside of the wrapper doesn't have any chocolate so I can keep it as a souvenir.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

As an aside from the CM Punk thing: can I just say it was nice to see Private Party do Private Party things again? They're been Crony A and Crony B for Matt Hardy for so long that I started to doubt if they would do the things that made them awesome in the first place. It felt like every match they've been in on Dynamite they've slowed the pace to Hardy's level and have been much worse off for it.

Addendum: I don't generally watch Dark so if they've been doing that stuff there all along I wouldn't know it.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ChrisBTY posted:

As an aside from the CM Punk thing: can I just say it was nice to see Private Party do Private Party things again? They're been Crony A and Crony B for Matt Hardy for so long that I started to doubt if they would do the things that made them awesome in the first place. It felt like every match they've been in on Dynamite they've slowed the pace to Hardy's level and have been much worse off for it.

Addendum: I don't generally watch Dark so if they've been doing that stuff there all along I wouldn't know it.

nah you pretty much nailed it, they've been kinda spinning their wheels lately and doing goony poo poo for Hardy, but last night was a really standout match for them more along their normal act and i hope they see/feel it and keep it up. i still like them as heels with Hardy, but unsure of why they flipped their style up so much

marq quen should have tails again :colbert:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

smarxist posted:

nah you pretty much nailed it, they've been kinda spinning their wheels lately and doing goony poo poo for Hardy, but last night was a really standout match for them more along their normal act and i hope they see/feel it and keep it up. i still like them as heels with Hardy, but unsure of why they flipped their style up so much

marq quen should have tails again :colbert:

I feel like maybe some of the point of teaming them with Hardy was to give them an excuse to work on their basics. Since one of the criticisms I heard thrown at PP a lot is that they're sloppy 'Get My poo poo In' types. I don't know if I agree. Seeing them do iso tag stuff feels so wrong.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

I feel like maybe some of the point of teaming them with Hardy was to give them an excuse to work on their basics. Since one of the criticisms I heard thrown at PP a lot is that they're sloppy 'Get My poo poo In' types. I don't know if I agree. Seeing them do iso tag stuff feels so wrong.

I think it's exactly this and last night's match of good evidence that it worked. They looked smoother in a way they didn't before. Less moving from spot to spot.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Compared to two years ago, Private Party have gone from being a talented spot based team to being able to tell ring stories. If Hardy has been working with them on that, he's done a very good job.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There's also the story element of Private Party doing things Matt's way, and it exactly hasn't been paying off for them, which could lead to them turning face in the future

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think you could've kept Private Party face if Top Flight hadn't signed, but them signing kind of blew up their spot. Of course, Darius got injured after that, so the heel turn feels less necessary but they couldn't have known that at the time.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

you can have both teams. this isn't wwe where teams are Slotted.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think it's exactly this and last night's match of good evidence that it worked. They looked smoother in a way they didn't before. Less moving from spot to spot.

good way of looking at it! they were pretty weak in some of the transitional / set up spots, also playing out their role in the match sometimes, so maybe staying grounded and in street clothes busting their rear end on dark getting reps in helped

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, they don't have much in common besides wrestling style. Not like the gimmicks overlapped or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

jesus WEP posted:

theyre gonna sell out the tacoma dome

I realized recently that someone from Tacoma is called a Tacoman, and I refuse to pronounce that any other way than "taco man". :taco: