Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Dirk the Average posted:

The thing about the description that really terrifies me is the potential prospect of having to equip every floor at once with a deck. That would make a lot of sense as to why folks tend to gravitate towards singleton decks - it's a lot easier to make duplicate decks when you have more of a given card to work with.

It'd also require some librarians to be given "suboptimal" keypages. Then again, maybe you can just have one immortal Yesod floor and wipe out everyone after their floor gets destroyed?
Nah, people gravitate towards Singleton because it's both powerful and, most importantly, really easy to build. You don't need to worry about card draw, which is pretty hard to get right as a beginner, since Will of the Prescript and Multislash do it for you. You don't need to worry about card ratios (do I put in two of this or three of that to make them more common to draw?) because you only use one copy of everything. You don't need to worry about which cards to pick over others because you've got enough room in your deck to just shove in everything that looks good. Hell it also lets you understand the game faster because you're using a wide variety of cards rather than just one or two so you can understand which cards perform better through hands-on experience.

And by the time Singleton stops being the objectively best strategy in the very endgame when you get other powerful drawtech cards like Will of the City and Brace Up...well, you've gotten into a habit since you've been using Singleton for like, half the game at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I know about the Birds, but who is Mizu?

This bit has encompassed two entire games now :allears:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Unsurprisingly there is a modded version of The Black Silence keypage that turns Orland Furioso into a mass attack, in the style of the dashing around hitting every target type we have seen some times. It is exactly as cool as it sounds.

Also, as far as 46 decks, you obviously don't need 1 for Roland, Gebura or Binah, and in theory you don't need one for the rest of Gebura's floor, since one of the "best" playstyles for that floor is to have Gebura eat everyone else to power up.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
This might be the first use of Tiphereth in…how long? Since her Realization? A Sad Clown strategy might also relieve the deck building pressure since no one else’s assistant librarians will need to be optimized to lose clashes.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

The thread has spoken, and not one soul was surprised. We're doing Binah Realization next.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

TeeQueue posted:

The thread has spoken, and not one soul was surprised. We're doing Binah Realization next.

If the option had been Team Murderhobos, it would have had my vote. Voting for them next time.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
hokma reality

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.
notably, the black silence is singleton, so you can put singleton passives on him like blade unlocked and raging torrent. honestly just slapping the index proxy passives on him is probably a good idea if you're not using those elsewhere, the deck's economy is a little below average so easygoing breather and raging torrent give him a much larger margin of error
also crystal atelier is the loving nuts and a great example of why evade dice typically have godawful minimums
(there is also a mod to make furioso play at 2x speed. I recommend it.)

rencounter review: worse duel. don't bother
impugnatio review: pretty good page. brace up makes discard passives good enough to run anyway. still never used it
olivier review: put him on binah floor and attach Weight of Sin to him. proceed to get +12 strength every turn

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

DuoRogue posted:

olivier review: put him on binah floor and attach Weight of Sin to him. proceed to get +12 strength every turn

What's your healing method for that, it sounds like a good way to murder yourself really fast.

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.

Keldulas posted:

What's your healing method for that, it sounds like a good way to murder yourself really fast.

tilted scale and health hauler are enough to go positive, you can run only one of those two for shorter fights and it won't matter as well
also worth noting is that killing yourself doesnt matter as long as the enemy dies first. which it will because you have +12 strength

DuoRogue fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 25, 2024

Mechtroid
Feb 14, 2014

Combining the latter with this was not the most powerful build I ever made, but it was the funniest.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Appendix 39: Hana Association

A Hana Fixer’s Page posted:

Each Association has a creed or maxim that reflects its atmosphere. Some emphasize gallant passion, while others aspire to a quiet and cold attitude. The Hana Association is no exception in that it has a number of outwardly seen principles. Coincidentally, they represent the most basic ideas of the attitude a Fixer must have.

We must exercise concentration and resoluteness in all situations. Be diligent to detect the emergence of a new flow, yet be wary not to be swept by the flow yourself. As our occupation involves placing some on low positions and holding others in high regard, we must secure the values that constitute our frame, while amending outdated parts of our ideologies. Thus, we need to have an open mind that can accept opinions that differ from our own in moderation. Be willing to listen to the criticism of others and acknowledge it, but be cautious not to throw yourself into confusion by accepting any and all opinions, changing yourself without due consideration. Change what needs to be changed, but be stubborn about the rules we’ve maintained. In conclusion, we mustn’t fall for temptation or deception.

Much like how a foundation influences the structures that stand on it, these principles serve as a basis for all Associations to uphold. Being the Association that supervises the system of Fixers in general, the principles of the Hana are also applicable to the mindset any Fixer should have.

Mirinae’s Page posted:

There are twelve Fixer Associations across the City, and the Hana Association is the one in charge of general management of the rest. We’re renowned for rating the threat level of hazards that occur in the City, and grading Fixers and Offices. On top of that, we give out Fixer licenses, issue official documents about certain requests, and assign Colors to Fixers who prove themselves to be beyond the grading system. Our Association calls the shots on pretty much everything regarding Fixer activity. Although, there is one thing the Hana Association can’t touch on.

The ratings of hazards in the City are as follows: Urban Myth, Urban Legend, Urban Plague, Urban Nightmare, Star of the City… and Impurity. Most other Associations only deal with Stars of the City or lower. Even though Hana Association has control over grading the hazards… There’s one grade our Association can’t assign: The Impurity. Only the Head has the authority to decide that. I don’t know the exact rationale behind designating Impurities… From what I can see, they seem to declare beings that defile the City as Impurities and banish them to the Outskirts. I suppose the Head manages that part since things like the ethics of the City aren’t subjects we are qualified to discern.

Harold’s Page posted:

Some people ask how Stars of the City, the highest level of urban hazards, are any different from Impurities. They wonder… “Aren’t they disrupting the City’s order?”
If you ask me, this City as it exists with the Stars… might be what the Head thinks as the ideal image of the City.

In the universe that is the City, a center of mass forms for each person who bears a wish for something, and clusters of dreams comparable to interstellar matter gravitate toward those centers. Driven by the force people exert in their efforts to reach those goals, such nebulae repeatedly expand and contract, until they finally fulfill their wishes—creating a Star whose glow we can observe. The people who witness the sparkle of that Star admire how brilliantly it shines in the dark, and entertain the hope that they will shine as brightly one day, making yet more centers in the universe…

Of course, some people will have their eyes fixed to the ground—too busy to gaze at anything other than their path ahead; however, once a person sets their eyes on a Star, they begin to head towards it, using its guidance like a compass. Although they probably aren’t trying to become a Star themselves. They merely want to shine with their dreams for once, not to indulge in the sense of superiority that comes from being high up in the City’s sky.

Olivier’s Page posted:

Roland and I were long-time partners in Charles’ Office since the year dot. There were twelve members in total—excluding Angelica who joined the Office later on to resolve the case of the Blood-red Night. Consisting of rather few Fixers for a Grade 1 Office, it took on various requests, playing to the strengths of the twelve members who had different quirks and characteristics each. Roland and I got along well together, so I often worked with him. Well, not exactly for that reason. To be precise, someone had to keep his impulse to jump into action before thinking on a dog’s leash.

“Valor without forethought is little more than a bluff, and there is more strength in discretion than recklessness.” I wonder if you remember this piece of advice I gave when you were still prone to take action without thinking. I remember you conceding it and taking a step back. Although I gave you that advice, now I understand that it’s not without fault. Thinking alone doesn’t make progress, and too much caution can be a harm to oneself. I had the prudence, and you had the unhesitating action. We helped each other with our strengths, and we could just live on by dealing with matters at hand back in the day. Maybe those were the days when we could laugh and lament the most, and carry out our lives just like that. But now we’ve come too far to go back—so did you, and so did Charles’ Office.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Harold's Page posted:

Some people ask how Stars of the City, the highest level of urban hazards, are any different from Impurities. They wonder… “Aren’t they disrupting the City’s order?”
If you ask me, this City as it exists with the Stars… might be what the Head thinks as the ideal image of the City.

In the universe that is the City, a center of mass forms for each person who bears a wish for something, and clusters of dreams comparable to interstellar matter gravitate toward those centers. Driven by the force people exert in their efforts to reach those goals, such nebulae repeatedly expand and contract, until they finally fulfill their wishes—creating a Star whose glow we can observe. The people who witness the sparkle of that Star admire how brilliantly it shines in the dark, and entertain the hope that they will shine as brightly one day, making yet more centers in the universe…

Of course, some people will have their eyes fixed to the ground—too busy to gaze at anything other than their path ahead; however, once a person sets their eyes on a Star, they begin to head towards it, using its guidance like a compass. Although they probably aren’t trying to become a Star themselves. They merely want to shine with their dreams for once, not to indulge in the sense of superiority that comes from being high up in the City’s sky.
Children of the city see only the neon stars
Reflected upon the murky gutter sky
Don't ask me why
I desperately wish to be included in the city's night

Olivier's Page posted:

Roland and I were long-time partners in Charles’ Office since the year dot. There were twelve members in total—excluding Angelica who joined the Office later on to resolve the case of the Blood-red Night.
Oh look at that Roland has another connection to a member of the Ensemble.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 26, 2024

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

GilliamYaeger posted:

Children of the city see only the neon stars
Reflected upon the murky gutter sky
Don't ask me why
I desperately wish to be included in the city's night

That was my exact thought on reading that book entry, too.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

GilliamYaeger posted:

Oh look at that Roland has another connection to a member of the Ensemble.

Interesting! Although since their original presence is what pushed Angelica into joining the Office in the first place, it's not quite as... adversarial or tight of a connection. Definitely is one tho!

I could see her going to Gebura's floor because of Nosferatu already being there, although that could be a double-bluff / already-used kinda thing. I could also see her taking Tanya though, which would then put Elena with... Binah? Tiph?
Netzach almost certainly gets the Musicians because it's the floor of Art, agreed with previous posters there. Also agreed the Phillip-Bishop matchup is gonna be mandatory. So then Pluto goes to either Hokma or Yesod, the other one could take Jae-hoon? Uncertain for sure. Yesod, Chesed, and Tiph are all reasonable to handle Oswald by just no-selling his goofiness, not sure who has the most ideological territory to duke it out with him.

The rest I've got very little to go off of, other than that I think the Church of Gears going to Hokma's floor would be too easy. He's already got a clockwork religion theme, that feels like overkill! :v:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly, given that Roland has a good shot of knowing literally anyone in the city, him having prior interactions with any given of the Ensemble is almost expected by this point.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
If you want to guess at who will go up against who, all you need is a deep understanding of the Kabbalah. Each Sephiroth has a corresponding Qliphoth and by recognizing which Ensemble member represents which Qliphoth you will be able deduce what the pair-ups will be. This is all real basic information that can easily be found by a simple Google search, I'm sure.

rabbitmonger
Jan 16, 2008

AAAUGH
Let's Play Library of Ruina: all you need is a deep understanding of the Kabbalah

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Boksi posted:

If you want to guess at who will go up against who, all you need is a deep understanding of the Kabbalah. Each Sephiroth has a corresponding Qliphoth and by recognizing which Ensemble member represents which Qliphoth you will be able deduce what the pair-ups will be. This is all real basic information that can easily be found by a simple Google search, I'm sure.

I think I'd have more luck pairing them off by reading the Wiz 4 LP.

Actually on second thought none of the ensemble are mute, so that rules out that source of divination.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

rabbitmonger posted:

Let's Play Library of Ruina: all you need is a deep understanding of the Kabbalah

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Boksi posted:

So then what I'm seeing is that we would want to look for the Ensemble that was like them before X helped straighten them out. Gebura is going to fight someone who thinks violence is the only way to solve problems. Hod is going to fight someone who puts on a facade of effort, taking the easy path. Yesod will fight someone who has repressed everything to do their job. Hokma is going to fight someone who has blind faith in another.

KobunFan fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 28, 2024

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

rabbitmonger posted:

Legend of Ruina
Sep 29, 2021

KobunFan posted:

So then what I'm seeing is that we would want to look for the Ensemble that was like them before X helped straighten them out. Gebura is going to fight someone who thinks violence is the only way to solve problems. Hod is going to fight someone who puts on a facade of effort, taking the easy path. Yesod will fight someone who has repressed everything to do their job. Hokma is going to fight someone who has blind faith in another.
Okay, but I think I’ve cracked the code:
Malkuth: Philip
Netzach: Philip
Hod: Philip
Yesod: Philip
Tiphereth: Philip
Chesed: Philip
Gebura: Philip
Binah: Philip
Hokma: Philip
Keter: Tanya, Elena, Jae-Hon, Greta, Bremen, Pluto, Oswald, Argalia, Eileen, and Philip

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Book 48.5: Small Story 9

Music: Lobby

So, what do you think? It meets your expectations, doesn't it~?

I'm not sure… It tastes good to me, but there are others to think about.

Does the taste even matter that much?

It does.

Huh. In that case, why not go with that… machyato?

It wouldn't pair quite right with the snacks Hod's prepared, I'm afraid~

Knock-knock.

Who's there~?

Buncha librarians.

Buncha librarians who~?

Buncha librarians here to kidnap you!!

What the-? The hell's going on?!

You're between cups of coffee, and we were considering having tea. And I thought about how I'm always coming here for some of the good stuff…

So it was decided that our penance would include providing some for you all. Please do not resist.

Well, if you're going to put it like that… How are we supposed to refuse?

You're not! Hup-cha!

Oh, my!

Oi, oi, put me down, would you?! I can walk jus' fine!

And I got the coffee guy! Let's move, people!!

Brings back memories, doesn't it~?

Ahh shove it, you.

Sometime later…

VIDEO
Music: BinahStory

It is quite a shame to know that such is the pitiable hill you choose to die on. Perhaps your tongue has been paralyzed by the overbearingly thick, strong flavor and scent.

Oh, it’s Angela. What are you doing here?

…I was just meandering around using the bit of free time I have. What about you lot, then? Are you engaging in a book discussion or whatever?

While that activity piques my interest as well… At the moment, we are having a friendly chat between Patron Librarians.

We were kinda dragged here by her assistants, though~

It is regrettable that you put it that way.

The assistant librarians?

Mmhmm~ They sometimes visit my floor for a cup of coffee. Not many other floors make it a habit to enjoy fine beverages. I was having some coffee with Hod and Gebura~ Then they suddenly brought us here, saying they’d like to return the favor. Isn’t that a surprise?

Should’ve realized that they were hers from the color of their attire…

Sounds like you’re on friendly terms with assistant librarians.

They’re our coworkers, no need to be cold with them.

Maybe. Why do you ask?

I was wondering if you could stick around for a cup of tea. Since you’re here, why don’t you help yourself~? No coffee, though; I only brought mine.

We don’t get to talk with you like this often.

…Fine, I’ll accept your offer.

There's a screenwipe here, then…

Do not be too harsh on them. Refreshments such as these are a necessity from time to time. They are all busy workers, racing to get their jobs done.

Well, even though we’re here together, that doesn’t mean we’re all that comfortable with each other~

Still, I think it’s amazing that we can gather round and face each other in the first place.

…It’s unfortunate that I can’t taste or smell the tea you troubled to prepare for me.

Soaking up this atmosphere is nice enough, I think?

Though, as great as it’d be to be able to enjoy it together next time~

…Anyway, thank you for the conversation. I’ll be going now.

Come over to my floor sometime~ Roland is an occasional visitor, so feel free to bring him with you if you don’t feel like coming on your own~

I’ll consider it if I get any free time later.

My hunch leans toward yes~

Music: Lobby

Well, at any rate. This was a lovely time, but we should get back down to my floor…

Ah, right. We still need to figure out what kind of coffee we'll be having at the next book club meeting.

I've still got no idea why you dragged me into this.

You and Paul have similar palates, so…

For real? Huh…

Did you enjoy your respite, my children?

Sure did! It was tea-riffic!

From the way you said that… it sounds like we're about to have work to do.

Of course, dear. Gird yourselves for what is to come… our next trial already approaches.

Ooo, ominous!

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 28, 2024

alulim_of_eridug
Oct 30, 2023

KobunFan posted:

Well, since we're fairly certain where Philip will go, that's a good start. He's pretty clearly lacking The Will to Stand up Straight. The Rationality to Maintain Discretion could be the crazy cultist Eileen or the crazy clown Oswald or the crazy musicians or the crazy... Yeah, there's a lot of crazy in the ensemble. I have no idea for the Hope to be a Better Person. The Fearlessness to Keep on Living reinforces my idea that the musicians will be going to Netzach, since what we saw of the other members of their group, they fully intend to eventually die in their performance.

I don't know who lacks The Expectation For the Meaning of Existence. My first thought is either the chef or Elena, but I can't pinpoint why. The Courage to Protect is probably Tanya, but I still think Elena might be possible. Those Who are Faithful and Trustworthy has to be Pluto. It just has to be. He got conned by Roland and now sees predatory contracts as the only way he can trust people.

The Eye Facing the Fear; Breaking the Cycle is probably either Tanya or Elena, whichever isn't facing Geb. Both seem like they're locked into cycles of violence. And Jae-Heon is probably The Eye Embracing the Past; Building the Future. He refuses to face his past and move on to the future.

Also, TQ, is everything between "The other assistant librarians are having tea as well" and "Will Angela make another visit?" supposed to be italicized. It isn't, but there's an orphaned [/i] at the end.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

alulim_of_eridug posted:

Also, TQ, is everything between "The other assistant librarians are having tea as well" and "Will Angela make another visit?" supposed to be italicized. It isn't, but there's an orphaned [/i] at the end.

fixed ty

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Boksi posted:

Maybe :thejoke:, but pretty much every Kabbalistic tradition that acknowledges the existence of Qlippoths (quite a few simply don't) has its own version of their names and roles.

Yveltal
Jul 19, 2022

Why can't it be both?

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Yveltal posted:

Why can't it be both?
Cuz both tea and coffee stain everything.

EnragedBullfrog
Feb 15, 2014
I'm sure there's something poetic to be said about books taken from the City already being stained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

aaand... YEET!