Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aumanor posted:

Her first outfit is the same one we've last seen her in at the end of LC:

Might jest be the charred (or whatever's happening to her clothes and hair there) remains of her labcoat and suit?

I mean, they're pretty clearly feathers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Everyone in the game is stylish as gently caress

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I'm very excited for this. We are going to learn some things about this city and as you may be able to tell from the trigger warnings it will help explain why LobCorp was actually a place people wanted to work.

There are also several other things Project Moon did set in the same world between LobCorp and this which may get referenced, which I'm sure TeeQueue will bring up at appropriate times.

MiracleGrow
Jul 17, 2021

fart
Angela kept a souvenir from Lobocorp.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

ZeroCount posted:

Angela did nothing wrong.

I dunno, she was kind of a dick to Roland, although given her "upbringing" (and the nature of the hellworld these games take place in) she's not doing that bad overall, especially since she replaced the missing limbs and merely enslaved him to fight battles in the end. Add in apparently the murder/death/kill/wish you died dynamics of this game supposedly are voluntary for our future publications- er, guests, and she's shown some remarkable improvements over LobCorp ethics really. She's already reached mere jerk level as opposed to complete monster, a little bit further and she'll be downright saintly for the setting.

Onean posted:

I'm curious about Angela's two different outfits with matching hairstyles. I'm looking forward to finding out if that means anything or if it's a red herring.

I'm pretty sure the mirror at 25s in the intro is Carmen, and the two back to back girls at 35s are Angela current version and LopCorp version, though I can't begin to figure out any plot hints from any of the intro beyond Roland is gonna be worked pretty hard as Angela's combat bitch unsurprisingly, and I *think* I saw some of the other Sephirah so maybe they show up too? If you mean the feather/jazzy outfit switch, why wouldn't you dress up better if you were suddenly going to be keeping company around and inviting guests in rather than lurking alone in ruins? Though maybe given the nature of her guests she may just not want to get blood on the bird outfit.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

MiracleGrow posted:

I'm so glad we're already off to the edit races like this :allears:

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
"Welp, that enough brooding, I guess."
She cleans up nicely :allears:

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

"You just have to deal with the guests. In a physical manner, of course." Still one of my favorite lines from this game.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
After the popcorn-man-machine line earlier, I know I wouldn't let Roland handle much on the intellectual side of things.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Angela is giving off strong AM vibes.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Angela is giving off strong AM vibes.

Well, considering AM would probably look at The City and start taking notes, it fits.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
She probably does hate A as much as AM hates humanity, but otherwise I think she's actually quite nice? I mean she never said she wasn't going to let Roland go once she gets what she wants, and from what we've learned about the rest of this world in LobCorp it's probably better he doesn't leave the Library and tell other people about this or Angela's existence so it's as she said: she wants to figure out how he got in when he wasn't supposed to.

In summary, Angela did, and continues to do, nothing wrong.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

After the popcorn-man-machine line earlier, I know I wouldn't let Roland handle much on the intellectual side of things.

Considering what we saw in lobcorp is that really a stretch though

MadDogMike posted:

Though maybe given the nature of her guests she may just not want to get blood on the bird outfit.

why is that the outfit she wants to preserve

e: A: also i've made sure to program a love of bird outfits

B: what

A: it is vital to the seed of light

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 22, 2021

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016

Qrr posted:

I'm very excited for this. We are going to learn some things about this city and as you may be able to tell from the trigger warnings it will help explain why LobCorp was actually a place people wanted to work.

There are also several other things Project Moon did set in the same world between LobCorp and this which may get referenced, which I'm sure TeeQueue will bring up at appropriate times.

One thing I'm buzzed about is learning more about Fixers, and considering the main character is one... From what I've played of LoR, I can tell that what people were saying in the previous thread is totally true. Fixers are almost literally Shadowrunners. They're different in a few ways I can't discuss yet, but it's close enough. We've seen what the best of the best are like already.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
Glad to be on the ground floor for this one! Also mildly upset that I now have to finish the game before the LP gets there. I think I'm about 3/4 of the way through but I've been distracted by other games (Wildermyth, mostly) recently.

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009
Is this the fastest an LP ever went gold?

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
So excited!

Unlike LobCorp, I think this is a game I can actually win on my own...but it'll still be pretty difficult. That said, it's an absolutely gorgeous and fantastic game and I can't wait to join everyone else in the thread on this journey.

My eyes for one are buttered.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Mecha_Face posted:

One thing I'm buzzed about is learning more about Fixers, and considering the main character is one...

Angela isn't a fixer though :confused:

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Delighted to be here on the ground floor with everyone else.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Angela isn't a fixer though :confused:

Based on what we've seen she's definitely more of a ruina' than a fixa

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

MadDogMike posted:

I dunno, she was kind of a dick to Roland, although given her "upbringing" (and the nature of the hellworld these games take place in) she's not doing that bad overall, especially since she replaced the missing limbs and merely enslaved him to fight battles in the end. Add in apparently the murder/death/kill/wish you died dynamics of this game supposedly are voluntary for our future publications- er, guests, and she's shown some remarkable improvements over LobCorp ethics really. She's already reached mere jerk level as opposed to complete monster, a little bit further and she'll be downright saintly for the setting.

Replacing them afterwards is much, much better than the alternative, but slicing off somebody's limbs for no real reason is still what's usually called, in the vernacular, a "dick move".

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

In summary, Angela did, and continues to do, nothing wrong.

🤔

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

TeeQueue posted:

What's a Library Battle Simulation?

Card games, apparently! Library of Ruina's gameplay is all about card games, and the system itself is surprisingly complex. While it takes some getting used to, once it clicks and we're making decks that can flow well inside of the system's mechanics it feels really fun to play.

I need to start editing yu-gi-oh memes to fit this game or something, because yu-gi-oh memes is what I think about when someone says "card games" and it's not Magic The Gathering.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I hope this LP will explain how to play this game, because I'm just stumbling through it randomly it feels like.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

WarpedLichen posted:

I hope this LP will explain how to play this game, because I'm just stumbling through it randomly it feels like.

It's both not that complex and also insanely difficult to actually explain

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
While I can't say her response is measured or restrained in any way, she did set very clear rules. The first time was a surprise, but the two subsequent times were Roland being a dumbass by being in panic mode. I can't blame him for being in panic mode, but still.

Given that Angela's problems in LobCorp were both not having any control that mattered, and people wasting her time in an agonizing matter, I can also see why she lost her temper like that.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Keldulas posted:

While I can't say her response is measured or restrained in any way, she did set very clear rules. The first time was a surprise, but the two subsequent times were Roland being a dumbass by being in panic mode. I can't blame him for being in panic mode, but still.

Given that Angela's problems in LobCorp were both not having any control that mattered, and people wasting her time in an agonizing matter, I can also see why she lost her temper like that.

Plus if she still has that 'experiences time at 1% speed' thing that she mentioned in LobCorp, wanting someone to get to the point becomes much more understandable.

PinkDawn
Aug 22, 2021
Oh, perfect, I had just finished crying over the ending of Lobotomy Corporation. My eyes are buttered and I am VERY ready. Like others have said, I GREATLY enjoyed the additional meta-narrative from the LC Let's Play, and I have high hopes for this one.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

BisbyWorl posted:

Plus if she still has that 'experiences time at 1% speed' thing that she mentioned in LobCorp, wanting someone to get to the point becomes much more understandable.

True. I also love how in the first 5 minutes the game's really helped make it extra clear that the entire City is just an ungodly shithole when you have Roland's reaction to losing limbs be basically 'oh god the pain and also i can't afford to replace these'.

also your av makes me hope paul comes back in some way

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Good, bad, or indifferent, Carmen still owes the City and possibly the rest of the world four days of Light.

I'm only concerned with that.

PinkDawn
Aug 22, 2021

Kitfox88 posted:

True. I also love how in the first 5 minutes the game's really helped make it extra clear that the entire City is just an ungodly shithole when you have Roland's reaction to losing limbs be basically 'oh god the pain and also i can't afford to replace these'.

also your av makes me hope paul comes back in some way

With just LobCorp to go off, you think that what they're doing there is absolutely inhumane and cruel. It is, but then you get to Ruina... and things are a whole lot worse than you thought.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Eyes buttered and seatbelts buckled, let's loving go. I joined the LobCorp LP way too late and am happy to be part of the ground floor gang for the sequel.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 22, 2021

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Book 2: Rats—Chapter 1

VIDEO
Music: StoryNervous

Upon sending our first Invitation, suddenly we're seeing things outside of the Library! Whenever this happens, we get immediate access to the names of anyone speaking. Invitations aren't coy about details. For instance, this is Pete.

And this is Lenny. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I just can’t seem to get a clean rip of his guts, the contents of this guy are weirdly different. I’ve never even heard of a body modification procedure that does this…

Finally, this guy is Mang-chi. As we can see from their titles, they're what's known as Rats… whatever those are.

drat it! Their footsteps are getting closer. Forget about clean cuts, just pull ‘em out and take ‘em!! At this rate, our heads are gonna get nicely chopped offa our bodies.

Why does he have this kinda stuff in his body…

Whatever, just take ‘em! We’re out of time!

Just about done!

Now, run!

Music: StoryAlley

You’re a bold one, Pete. Going for a gut-harvest in a territory managed by the Zwei.

These are the only jobs we have left. We have to climb up by any means necessary. Whatever it takes...

You know my dream, right? To become one of the Fingers of the Backstreets.

Let’s sell off these guts we’ve hauled first. We gotta prepare enough cash to offer to the Stray Dogs.

True… This could be our chance to join an Urban Legend-class Syndicate… Alright, time to check out the harvest.

Music: Story Simgak

I told you. This guy didn’t have a single proper organ inside him.

I expected innards soaked in drugs like Enkephalin at worst… These are damaged too badly. It’s almost like someone already blew them up.

We only doused him with anesthetics. Didn’t do no harm.

This doesn’t make sense… How could he have even walked around with these messed up organs…

Yeah, I’ve heard of that, too. But look at the state of these things! Not the case at all. I hear those dolls are made by threading flesh and bones together. But this sonofabitch didn’t have any scars or stitches showing outside!

…Now that I think about it, there was a round orange symbol on the back of his neck. I thought it was a tattoo at first, but he didn’t seem like the type to have one. He was a desk-working dweeb.

Symbols? Tattoos? drat it, please don’t tell me we poked the wrong beehive…

He also had this envelope in his body.

What the hell is an envelope doing in a human body?! This keeps getting worse… Gimme that!

An invitation to a library? What’s this about…

Books? We can get books from the library? What a bunch of nonsense.

We’ve got 7 hours, to be exact. That’s too little time for another run of gut-harvesting…

…We’re heading to the library as the invitation says. I don’t know what this ‘book’ thing is, but we’re out of options. We gotta take any chance we get.

Isn’t this just suicide? We don’t know what kinda place it might be.

Can’t be any worse than dying to the Stray Dogs or the Zwei Association; we’re screwed anyway! Shut up and follow me if you want to live.

Things are not going well for our new friends. :ohdear:

Music: Lobby

Fragments of the invitation process. We can take a peek at the stories of our upcoming guests.

Didn’t take you for a peeping tom.

It’s more convenient to know what kind of guests will visit us in advance, isn’t it? Besides, this is the invitation’s will, not mine.

That’s a splendid thing you got there, ma’am. Pries upon people and kidnaps them, too. A perfect tool for crimes. Heck, if the invitation can do all that, why don’t we just skip the whole reception part?

I like the way Roland thinks. :hmmyes:

I cannot do that. We can only take a peek when it has been decided that the guests are coming here of their own volition. And the invitation’s power isn’t wholly mine, either. I am simply borrowing it.

Yeah yeah, no way anything can go so smoothly in the City.

They’re desperate guests.

Tell me, was the invitation responsible for that symbol and internal damage as well?

What? Not a chance, it doesn’t have anything to do with what happened. The invitation simply finds a way to those who need it.

That means those weird happenings were someone else’s doing…

Ruins?

…I don’t know a whole lot, either. I only heard stories of it. Should I describe it as… magic? That kind of stuff exists in the Ruins, apparently.

In any case, we simply greet our guests. They seem to be low class, but oh well.

Groups of half-assed thugs that barely qualify as a Syndicate. They don’t have money or power. They’re losers who only think about making ends meet day by day.

Hmm… I might have just roasted myself here.

The Backstreets… I know of them.

You do?

Someone I know was from the Backstreets.

Well, that’s nothing special, really. The Backstreets stretch all over the city like veins. Heck, it might actually be tougher to find someone who isn’t from the Backstreets.

Music: Entrance

Could be a bunch of valuable things here.

SNAP

And I am Angela, the librarian of my role’s namesake. You may find what you desire here, but you also may end up yielding your precious possessions to us.

You the owner of this place? We’re allowed to take whatever we want here, right?

Indeed. You may earn books, to be exact. If you’re able, of course.

Are those book things really worth a lot, though…?

Of course they can be, if the information they hold is valuable.

Mang-chi! Beggars can’t be choosers. We gotta cling on to anything we can find.

May you find your book in this place, then.

Next time, on Library of Ruina: A 3v1 is the tutorial fight, somehow.

Video

Rats 1

Fighting against Rats over scraps… man. I really have hit rock bottom here.

Ah, well. It's not like these limbs are going to test themselves out. Who knows. Maybe I'll be able to move faster than the eye can see?

Yeah… as though anything in the City would be that convenient.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 28, 2021

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
I am so unbelievably excited for this.

I've been playing Project Moon themed other works for some time in anticipation, including the Slay the Spire LobCorp mod, and a couple of Risk of Rain 2 character mods (An Arbiter and the Red Mist, combined into "Risk of Ruina' now.)

Suffice to say, there is hype.

And it's already interesting! I wonder I'm reading it correctly that Angela is both vaguely familiar and unfamiliar with the world outside?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

MiracleGrow posted:

It starts. :allears:

Not The Wendigo posted:

Is this the fastest an LP ever went gold?

I don't know, I just looked away from the thread for a day and suddenly it's gold and three pages long and ya'll are madmen. Seriously. :allears: I'm gonna have to try my hardest to make the thread worth that kind of attention.

Sum Gai posted:

Replacing them afterwards is much, much better than the alternative, but slicing off somebody's limbs for no real reason is still what's usually called, in the vernacular, a "dick move".

In the City, it's considered a standard greeting for people who need to shut up! :pseudo:

SugarAddict posted:

I need to start editing yu-gi-oh memes to fit this game or something, because yu-gi-oh memes is what I think about when someone says "card games" and it's not Magic The Gathering.

I will never say no to Yu-Gi-Oh! memes. :allears:

WarpedLichen posted:

I can promise to try. I cannot promise success—Ruina is weird and has a couple hidden mechanics that I only sort of understand. Still, it is my express goal that by the end of the thread everyone knows how to play the game so that they can see all of the horrible misplays I will inevitably make. :v:

PinkDawn
Aug 22, 2021
Ah, yes. Ruina does not pull any punches with its first set of guests, does it? I really liked this. It's gritty and dark and sets the scene perfectly.

I actually vaguely knew about the invitations beforehand, and yet I was still shocked when it appeared in someone's guts. Well... if it works, it works?

3v1 for a tutorial fight sounds about right for this sort of game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man, this is my reminder I fell behind in Lobocorp and I gotta go finish reading that LP so I can get in on this one.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

"The librarian of my role's namesake" is a pretty awkward phrase. And also tautological - she's basically saying "I am the librarian of the library that I'm the library director of".

"May you find your book in this place", on the other hand, is great. Very nicely ambiguous.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Here we are introduced to suffering and gratuitous Proper Nouns, two important cornerstones of the City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
if I should ever end up the leader of a street gang or crime syndicate in a dystopian metropolis, I'm going to call my organization the Proper Nouns.