Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I kind of want to see the device go off and for it to have literally no effect on someone who's been through worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

TeeQueue posted:

A workshop-crafted assassination device with T Corp’s Singularity applied to it, bought just for you. You may have power, but you’re certainly gullible.

That’s what happens when you accept handshakes from those who oppose you without having a hint of doubt.

First, it paralyzes the target, and when I p—

Music: Entrance

The device overloads the human brain, causing their mind to experience a thousand years of time passing by… Which is more than enough to ruin the average person’s brain. Just like the WARP trains, huh.

SL the Pyro posted:

What do you suppose April Fools' jokes are like in the city?

Apparently they loving suck.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

TeeQueue posted:

Neither of us had parents or any real family, so you probably thought no one would be concerned about you. And you were wrong. I was actually pretty worried for you, unlike some others in Charles’ Office.

A bunch of thoughts came to my mind when you left after making a lengthy ramble. Not long after that… I heard news that a person who appeared to be the Black Silence was on a crazed rampage across the City. Said he was slaughtering Syndicates that were doing suspicious experiments left and right. His wave of destruction didn’t discriminate. Even Fingers and Fixer Offices were caught in its wake…

I almost had to question myself for a moment when I heard that you crushed a good half of the Middle in the south. It was as if you were venting out all of your frustrations and resentment on the City. And if that were the case… I thought you might keep going and demolish the City itself out of sheer anger and madness.

[...]

How’re the others doing, anyway? Like Ogier or Astolfo.
Roland, Olivier, Ogier and Astolfo are all names of fictional Paladins of Charlemagne (who would be the Charles mentioned here), so it's safe to say that this story is based in part on the epic poem Orlando Furioso, in which the Paladin Roland, after going incognito as a black knight, goes mad because of his love for the princess Angelica and only returned to sanity because of the intervention of his close friend Astolfo. Of course, there are differences - our Roland doesn't seem to have stripped naked at any point, Astolfo seems to have managed to simply talk Roland out of his berserk rampage instead of needing to retrieve his lost sanity from the moon, and the Furioso's Roland's love for Angelica was very much unrequited.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 2, 2024

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Synthbuttrange posted:

I kind of want to see the device go off and for it to have literally no effect on someone who's been through worse.

You know, I never considered that it wouldn't work, I just assumed Olivier was right and Angela was human enough at this point for it to work. It was a handful of receptions ago that she said she was forgetting, it could have escalated to the point she doesn't have enough defenses against this kind of attack. Maybe even a weakness because of personal trauma.

NullBlack posted:

Apparently they loving suck.

If this is the City version of the joy buzzer, a snakes-in-peanut-brittle is probably the magical girl of hatred in a can.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

RandomReader posted:

If this is the City version of the joy buzzer, a snakes-in-peanut-brittle is probably the magical girl of hatred in a can.

Nah, this is much cheaper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAZqn4xfQZQ

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

So, do they really reduce Colors down to 9th grade fixers as a consequence for rampaging across the entire city, or was Roland lying about that (I know, he's so honest in general it's hard to believe). It seems both insufficient as a punishment and out of character for the Hana Association to actually care. If anything it seems like it should get you designated a Star of the City or something.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
He was absolutely lying. Blue Cuckoo is still a color and he's been starting poo poo left and right. Pretty sure becoming a color isn't something you consent to, or which can be revoked.

alulim_of_eridug
Oct 30, 2023

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

He was absolutely lying. Blue Cuckoo is still a color and he's been starting poo poo left and right. Pretty sure becoming a color isn't something you consent to, or which can be revoked.

Maybe he's a Grade 9 Color. It seems like Colors are separate from the normal grading system. Sure, most of them are treated as "above Grade 1", but maybe being Grade 1 isn't strictly a requirement.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
There have been lies, and there have been omissions. The full truth is yet to show up.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
I get the feeling being labeled a Color is more of a general warning to everyone.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

GilliamYaeger posted:

Roland, Olivier, Ogier and Astolfo are all names of fictional Paladins of Charlemagne (who would be the Charles mentioned here), so it's safe to say that this story is based in part on the epic poem Orlando Furioso, in which the Paladin Roland, after going incognito as a black knight, goes mad because of his love for the princess Angelica and only returned to sanity because of the intervention of his close friend Astolfo. Of course, there are differences - our Roland doesn't seem to have stripped naked at any point, Astolfo seems to have managed to simply talk Roland out of his berserk rampage instead of needing to retrieve his lost sanity from the moon, and the Furioso's Roland's love for Angelica was very much unrequited.

My poor memory of Orlando Furioso suggests that LOR's Angelica, Oliver, and Angelica's brother also owe some inspiration from other characters in the work. The Roland equivalent is on the losing end of a love triangle with Angelica and a Moor. There are two knights enamored of pagan female knights. The other knight tries to find out more about his beloved by consulting her brother. Who is also a knight, who can pass for his sister if they trade armor.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

GilliamYaeger posted:

our Roland doesn't seem to have stripped naked at any point,

That we know of! Roland obviously had omitted details before!

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Keldulas posted:

He was emotionally naked.

ShyGuy1231
Jan 7, 2021

GilliamYaeger posted:

Literary inspiration

This is one of the biggest reasons I love threads like this. Not only do I see great characterization inspired by the game's world, but I get to see more of the inspiration for the game itself. The little things like names and such, and the mention of the black silence(incognito as a black knight you say?), it's so freaking cool!

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
If the Purple Tear coordinated this — I assume a previous run got Roland’s gloves destroyed along with his limbs for asking questions way back in the prologue?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

CommunityEdition posted:

If the Purple Tear coordinated this — I assume a previous run got Roland’s gloves destroyed along with his limbs for asking questions way back in the prologue?
I'd assume they were confiscated by the Hana after Roland got busted down to Grade 9.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

GilliamYaeger posted:

I'd assume they were confiscated by the Hana after Roland got busted down to Grade 9.

I'm pretty sure that's specifically not the case. If The Man tried to take one of Roland's last mementos of better times, then I'm pretty sure he'd have started the murder spree right back up again in their offices, even if it meant his death. And he's not dead, so that didn't happen. Makes more sense to assume one of his friends came over, had a brief "what the gently caress was that, man," talk, and then took the gloves for his own good. Then Olivier went and got the gloves from them by virtue of being his best friend.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I assumed Roland gave them to Olivier for safe-keeping.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Junpei posted:

Could also be that Roland left them behind in his house as a mourning thing and Olivier picked them up to return to him now. There's plenty of good reasons Olivier could have them.

The real question is if these gloves are fancy magitech gizmos or just fashion.

Rudydidit
Feb 17, 2024
I guess the glove could have something to do with the title of "black silence"? The Red Mist have her title that way because the one she killed turn into red mist. Maybe the glove could choke someone so hard they can't say a thing and call for help

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Einander posted:

I'm pretty sure that's specifically not the case. If The Man tried to take one of Roland's last mementos of better times, then I'm pretty sure he'd have started the murder spree right back up again in their offices, even if it meant his death. And he's not dead, so that didn't happen. Makes more sense to assume one of his friends came over, had a brief "what the gently caress was that, man," talk, and then took the gloves for his own good. Then Olivier went and got the gloves from them by virtue of being his best friend.
I'd expect that Olivier, who's part of the Hana, talking him down and convincing him to hand over the gloves was part of the process.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

CommunityEdition posted:

I think this is the right read. Olivier was instructed by Iori to do something he's finished doing, and Roland got into the library with her help, so it's entirely feasible she got Roland to give up his gloves and gave them to Olivier to pass along when things got to this point.

"Olivier' posted:

You have no idea the mess I had to clean up after you went missing... A bunch of thoughts came to my mind when you left after making a lengthy ramble. Not long after that… I heard news that a person who appeared to be the Black Silence was on a crazed rampage across the City.
It seems to me like the last time they talked was post wife-death but pre-rampage, which seems an activity Roland'd want to be using his gear for. Roland was worried the guy had died in the interim, so I think that lends credence to it having been a very long time since they'd last met. There's room for interpretation though.

Fun fact I stumbled on: looking back through the Roland flashback cgs, we've never actually seen his hands wearing his gloves. Technically the opposite. In Chesed and Tiphereth's respective realizations, we see his hands, and he's going bare. That said, none of those situations were combat flashbacks, those are in Gebura's realization, where we never see his hands, or his weapon of choice.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I would honestly assume Roland was stopped by the Project Moon version of Astolfo just because that's how the original story went and they do tend to know their literary reference materials.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Lord_Magmar posted:

I would honestly assume Roland was stopped by the Project Moon version of Astolfo just because that's how the original story went and they do tend to know their literary reference materials.
We've actually already seen Astolfo.

TeeQueue posted:

Concerto 2: Gebura—Sonata

[...]

Don’t come any closer if you wanna live, Astolfo. I’ll cut you down if you try to stop me.

If only we could’ve moved into the Nest… It’s all my fault…

You’ve killed too many… Some may have been hopeless scum, but if you relish murdering so much… You’ll completely lose yourself!

I’m far from done. I still have a whole lot of suspects on my list.

The corpses of more people than I could ever remember piled up, forming a hill before me. The further I tried to go into the past, the taller the hill got; and it ultimately became a mountain that blocked my sight.

Astolfo was right. I couldn’t tell what was going on anymore.

That person was also right. I couldn’t see ahead. This whole time, I was only looking behind.

Do I really want to find a lead to the past events and take revenge? Or was I just looking for an outlet to gush this fury. Is this a simple release of frustration? If I get my revenge this way, what’ll be next?

Those things no longer mattered. I didn’t have the breadth of mind to think about it. In the end, I couldn’t protect her. It’s my fault…

He continued his rampage for a while after his intervention, but eventually Astolfo's words seem to have sunk in and he just gave up and probably turned himself in afterwards, giving up the gloves to the Hana Association and getting downgraded to Grade 9.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Junpei posted:

Or he gave them to Iori, who as part of her circuitous plan had Olivier deliver them back.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

IMJack posted:

Or he gave them to Iori, who as part of her circuitous plan had Olivier deliver them back.
Or maybe Iori just took them from his empty house after she threw him into the Library? He could have just not been wearing them when he was sulking on his couch right before she knocked on his door.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Keldulas posted:

Roland mentioned taking a WARP train a couple times, so if whatever happened on those trains counts, I would say there's a decent enough chance Roland did strip naked going crazy.

Come to think of it, I remember the WARP cleanup crew mentioning that there's been at least one case of a color boarding a WARP train without a first class ticket and training everyone to fight or something like that while they were stuck, which caused a whole lot of trouble when the train arrived at its destination. I wonder if that might've been Roland.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

There's no evidence for now that Roland didn't go on a rampage naked, just that he went on a rampage. Could have been accurate to the source material as far as we know :colbert:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You could argue that Roland entered the library metaphorically naked, stripped of his rank, title, and recognisable gear.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

RandomReader posted:

Fun fact I stumbled on: looking back through the Roland flashback cgs, we've never actually seen his hands wearing his gloves. Technically the opposite. In Chesed and Tiphereth's respective realizations, we see his hands, and he's going bare. That said, none of those situations were combat flashbacks, those are in Gebura's realization, where we never see his hands, or his weapon of choice.

Well yeah, you can't just show off the combat oboe! It's very important that it be kept hidden for just the right moment!

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

There's no evidence for now that Roland didn't go on a rampage naked, just that he went on a rampage. Could have been accurate to the source material as far as we know :colbert:
We do have evidence that at the very least, some of his rampage was mostly clothed. Doesn't preclude some parts of the rampage being naked mind you, but Gebura's realization does show various shots of Roland's body clothed.

Dirk the Average posted:

Well yeah, you can't just show off the combat oboe! It's very important that it be kept hidden for just the right moment!

Doubt it's a combat oboe, they already did that. Besides, he's the Black Silence, not the Black Music-thwack. Clearly his chosen weapon was a pair of chained-together rest notes, like nunchucks.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
He punches people in the throat and crushes their larynx. No more sounds.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

RandomReader posted:

Doubt it's a combat oboe, they already did that. Besides, he's the Black Silence, not the Black Music-thwack. Clearly his chosen weapon was a pair of chained-together rest notes, like nunchucks.

See that's the thing, if he uses the oboe then it's even more unexpected! They expect his weapon to be quiet, and then DOOT! Comboat Oboe to the forehead!

alulim_of_eridug
Oct 30, 2023
Wait, I just realized. Who could be more appropriate as the Black Silence than a Librarian. Just imagine him stalking through the library, shushing anyone speaking above a whisper.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

bunch of posters posted:

Roland's Rampage in the Raw

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 4, 2024

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

NullBlack posted:

the people demand the full image.

And then Angela shows up and everyone bolts.

GOI
Aug 26, 2015

If we can trust these imitates form chesed Realization and urban plague prologue

Roland dis not seem to wear gloves, his wife on the other hand did but these are snapshots so who is to say what happened at the very least Roland did rampage.

Also the hana info does say they can’t call the blue sicko a fixer anymore as he is a Syndicate now that is a star of the city.

GOI fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 4, 2024

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

NullBlack posted:

You're looking for the arts floor.

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Artbook says that he had his fixer title revoked, color and all, due to starting a syndicate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Presumably the main reason they haven't officially given Blue to a new Color is that the first few times they tried Argalia teleported in and killed everyone for stealing his stuff.