Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The way I see it, the process of granting colour to a new person would take some time.

Bureaucracy. It's a capitalist future nightmare, of course that'll cause delays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
I don't think Colors are restricted to a single person at a time. However, I have no evidence of this since we have no idea if Vergil was the Red Gaze at the same time that other Red died attempting to assault Argalia's Syndicate.

alulim_of_eridug
Oct 30, 2023

The Sandman posted:

Presumably the main reason they haven't officially given Blue to a new Color is that the first few times they tried Argalia teleported in and killed everyone for stealing his stuff.

Or, you know, maybe there just aren't any good candidates. I don't imagine that every color is in use all the time. The process doesn't really seem to be about filling openings, so much as it's about giving the qualified due the treatment they've earned. When they want to make someone a color, they probably see what's available, rather than seeing that there's a color available and then looking for someone to fill the role.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

KobunFan posted:

I don't think Colors are restricted to a single person at a time. However, I have no evidence of this since we have no idea if Vergil was the Red Gaze at the same time that other Red died attempting to assault Argalia's Syndicate.

1) don't know if Ruina says it, but it is stated in pre-Limbus material that colors are single person at a time
2) the Color who died to Argalia was Vermillion, not Red. While it is a type of red, the two colors are apparently distinct enough for Hana Assoc.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

NullBlack posted:

1) don't know if Ruina says it, but it is stated in pre-Limbus material that colors are single person at a time
2) the Color who died to Argalia was Vermillion, not Red. While it is a type of red, the two colors are apparently distinct enough for Hana Assoc.

Ah, I see. And you are correct, we have Blue, Purple, and Indigo Color fixers, different Shades are allowed like you said. So I'm guessing Vergil was active during this time.

StuffyEvil
Nov 8, 2022

Poison sandwich tea party starts now
(art from @luingear on Twitter)

DuoRogue posted:

Artbook says that he had his fixer title revoked, color and all, due to starting a syndicate.

Also Hana South Section 3 Story 1.

TeeQueue posted:

Which means, the only sizable threat remaining in L Corp’s Nest is…

Yes, it’s them.

When the Library unveiled itself as the fog surrounding L Corp’s Nest cleared away… The Blue Reverberation… No, the Reverberation Ensemble set up camp around it, preventing anyone else from approaching.

And they’re generating a concerning number of Distortions from there. Who knows what they’re up to in that base of theirs…

The Blue Reverberation… Judging by his recent actions, he can no longer be considered a Fixer… He’s leading a dangerous Syndicate, at least on the level of a Star of the City.

…He’s gone mad ever since he lost his sister.

Not that I can’t understand how he must’ve felt. The Pianist left an indelible, twisted mark on the City that day.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv4Aoa85t-Y

So this just came out - a pretty sick PV for the new HamHamPangPang Library of Ruina cafe theme that's a short piece on Xiao's story.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

DuoRogue posted:

Artbook says that he had his fixer title revoked, color and all, due to starting a syndicate.

Huh. Well, guess I was wrong about that one. For whatever reason I thought Colors were just a "do not gently caress with this person" warning label, but on second thought I'm not sure why I assumed that anything in the City would be this simple instead of being subject to a strict and most likely both arbitrary and labyrinthine set of rules.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Huh. Well, guess I was wrong about that one. For whatever reason I thought Colors were just a "do not gently caress with this person" warning label, but on second thought I'm not sure why I assumed that anything in the City would be this simple instead of being subject to a strict and most likely both arbitrary and labyrinthine set of rules.

It makes some sense though - someone on their own isn't necessarily playing by the City's rules. Someone who establishes an officially recognized organization, however, is now someone who is now playing by the rules and needs to interact with others through those channels. And someone who is an employee is "free" to leave at any time, so they can still be considered a fixer/color.

GOI
Aug 26, 2015

Colours are still fixers at the end of the day they might be the most free of all fixers but are still fixers, kind of like how syndicates or any other form of unlawful thing even if they become a star of the city that shines above all as the most free are still bound in the city .

Like is brought up by Xiao “Don’t think being a Color will save you. If you keep snooping around pulling nonsense like this, your elimination will be in order one day."

And from Liwei page,

“Colours are assigned by the ‘Hana Association’. They’re bundled into such a category because the Hana deemed them to be the most ideal Fixers. Because they’re the most adequate individuals to deal with the ‘Stars of the City’. The title of a Color is forcibly given to Fixers who qualify, essentially. Can a Fixer be truly happy with freedom that was forcefully handed to them?”

Colours do get more freedom to do what they want but they still have to be fixers. It is in the name Colour fixer

It very much is like labelling say the Reverberation Ensemble as a star of the city

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

It's worth remembering that technically speaking, Grade's and Color status aren't power levels, they're performance assessment results for a profession, subject to the legal system. You don't become a Grade 1 Fixer just because you punch people the best or are galaxy brained or whatever, you have to report your jobs to the Hana so your performance can get graded. Sure, you killed that assassin going after your client, but if the client still died, you didn't do a very good job there.
The Blue Reverberation no longer being a Color is like a world renown surgeon getting their license revoked because they became a terrorist. He's probably still a drat good surgeon, but he's not legally qualified to practice anymore.

Fun fact: Remember Dong-hwan the Grade 1 Fixer, the 1 on 1 general reception from star of the City? His keypage mentions a Color friend who was going to get recruited by Hana to take down the Reverberation Ensemble. Doesn't seem like that turned out very well for him.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
All makes sense. I'd completely forgotten it was a Fixer only thing.

Maybe it's because the idea of Kali being an actual legit honest-to-god Fixer doesn't feel right. Can you imagine her sitting behind a desk in an Office doing paperwork and filing taxes and stuff, possibly while wearing a suit? I'm just having trouble picturing it. Eh, maybe if the Office is some rundown building with a clearly hand-painted sign in front that says "PUNCH OFFICE" on it. Maybe "we punch people" under that. And there's so much cigarette smoke coming out of it people would routinely call the fire department if there was a fire department in the City. Yeah ok that works.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

All makes sense. I'd completely forgotten it was a Fixer only thing.

Maybe it's because the idea of Kali being an actual legit honest-to-god Fixer doesn't feel right. Can you imagine her sitting behind a desk in an Office doing paperwork and filing taxes and stuff, possibly while wearing a suit? I'm just having trouble picturing it. Eh, maybe if the Office is some rundown building with a clearly hand-painted sign in front that says "PUNCH OFFICE" on it. Maybe "we punch people" under that. And there's so much cigarette smoke coming out of it people would routinely call the fire department if there was a fire department in the City. Yeah ok that works.
The image I always had of pre-Carmen Grade 2 Kali was her operating out of a bar similar to Afterlife in Cyberpunk.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

GOI posted:

Colours are still fixers at the end of the day they might be the most free of all fixers but are still fixers, kind of like how syndicates or any other form of unlawful thing even if they become a star of the city that shines above all as the most free are still bound in the city .

Like is brought up by Xiao “Don’t think being a Color will save you. If you keep snooping around pulling nonsense like this, your elimination will be in order one day."

And from Liwei page,

“Colours are assigned by the ‘Hana Association’. They’re bundled into such a category because the Hana deemed them to be the most ideal Fixers. Because they’re the most adequate individuals to deal with the ‘Stars of the City’. The title of a Color is forcibly given to Fixers who qualify, essentially. Can a Fixer be truly happy with freedom that was forcefully handed to them?”

Colours do get more freedom to do what they want but they still have to be fixers. It is in the name Colour fixer

It very much is like labelling say the Reverberation Ensemble as a star of the city

The great bureaucracy of the city contacts the singular hero types and tells them "Look, you're not a problem to the city yet. If you bend the knee and play by our rules, we will give you a nice official title recognizing your power. If you don't, then we'll give you this other official label that makes you an outlaw and gives every hero who does buy into our rules carte blanche to destroy you. How's that sound?"

This sort of thing is straight out of Chinese mythology, Korea having inherited a lot culturally from China, and probably reflects how the ancient Chinese bureaucracy would try to reign in potential power-players as well.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

Maybe it's because the idea of Kali being an actual legit honest-to-god Fixer doesn't feel right. Can you imagine her sitting behind a desk in an Office doing paperwork and filing taxes and stuff, possibly while wearing a suit?

When they talk about Colors being the most free, they mean "...from paperwork". Reading, writing, and math are required skills, young lady.

given the grade 9-7 fixers we fight, I have a feeling rookie!Kali's work clothes are what she's wearing in the right section of , but who knows? Maybe she was able to join a well financed office and got a fixer suit in the deal

don't know what the power pack on the knife knoife is for. Vibrating blade? Superheating blade? MP3 player?

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 8, 2024

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

NullBlack posted:

don't know what the power pack on the knife knoife is for. Vibrating blade? Superheating blade? MP3 player?

it makes the motorcycle noises

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.
its a grenade is my thought
you can just pop it off and toss it at someone

Karazor
Jan 6, 2020
Just bringing this up for the thread's attention, there's a group on Youtube that's doing an English fan-dub of Lobotomy Corporation.

https://www.youtube.com/@LoboCorpANV

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Speaking of Kali, honestly her being the Color Fixer that got on a WARP train without using a first class ticket and then trained everyone to fight makes a lot of sense, but there's probably multiple Color Fixers who still want to be frugal with their money and who's first response to that would be 'well, if I train everyone to fight then I don't have to shoulder all the work and it gives everyone something to do, including me...', at least if you're not just counting currently active Colors. It's kind of a funny problem for W Corp to have to deal with. I wonder if they just automatically upgrade Colors to first class after that?

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

PetraCore posted:

Speaking of Kali, honestly her being the Color Fixer that got on a WARP train without using a first class ticket and then trained everyone to fight makes a lot of sense, but there's probably multiple Color Fixers who still want to be frugal with their money and who's first response to that would be 'well, if I train everyone to fight then I don't have to shoulder all the work and it gives everyone something to do, including me...', at least if you're not just counting currently active Colors. It's kind of a funny problem for W Corp to have to deal with. I wonder if they just automatically upgrade Colors to first class after that?

Lesti posted:

It’s our rule to stop powerful people like Colors or key members of Associations from boarding our WARP trains, or to guide them to take First Class seats if they must board the train, for a safe and smooth restoration process.

They already were doing everything they could to move Colors to first class, I think. The Color Fixer hid their identity and snuck on, according to the story.

if anything; rather than frugality, I think the reason the Color Fixer snuck in was because the whole "first class seat for a 'ten second trip'" is weird as hell, and W Corp's insistence that the Color take that option just makes things sketchier.

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 8, 2024

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

NullBlack posted:

They already were doing everything they could to move Colors to first class, I think. The Color Fixer hid their identity and snuck on, according to the story.

I wonder how they react to Syndicate that rival Colors. Do they get the same treatment or are they killed on the spot?

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

L.U.I.G.I posted:

I wonder how they react to Syndicate that rival Colors. Do they get the same treatment or are they killed on the spot?

I think the latter is a very good way to start a war with said Syndicate (particularly if it's the Middle), so probably just leave them alone or go for the former.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
I can't imagine that, even in the upper levels of one of the Fingers, they have many members that rival colors, if they have ANY. After all, [Modnote: Spoilers aren't allowed even behind spoiler tags]. Kali was only defeated by the combination of an Arbiter, two Claws, and every single abnormality in the facility while she was protecting people and that still ended in a draw!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 8, 2024

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
The Color Fixer who pulled the Warp Train shenanigans was presumably Roland's predecessor, the Black Parade.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

The Sandman posted:

The Color Fixer who pulled the Warp Train shenanigans was presumably Roland's predecessor, the Black Parade.

I really can't tell if you're being serious here, because of how weird Project Moon's stories are.

ShyGuy1231
Jan 7, 2021

Karazor posted:

Just bringing this up for the thread's attention, there's a group on Youtube that's doing an English fan-dub of Lobotomy Corporation.

https://www.youtube.com/@LoboCorpANV

that is beautiful and I love it.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Keldulas posted:

I really can't tell if you're being serious here, because of how weird Project Moon's stories are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRKJiM9Njr8

It's a reference to a My Chemical Romance song. You may have heard the opening G note be used as a meme a lot.

also I tried to pick Ruina back up, used a deckbuilding guide, and got my rear end handed to me by Xiao. I did barely squeak out a win against Punishing Bird with Rapid Gashes Yujin... who ended up with all three Forest Keeper's Lock, and 10 hp left.
I am not good at strategy.

alulim_of_eridug
Oct 30, 2023

Since I don't recognize the name, I'm going to assume that that's a Limbus Company spoiler. Please don't.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

alulim_of_eridug posted:

Since I don't recognize the name, I'm going to assume that that's a Limbus Company spoiler. Please don't.

Sorry, got a bit excited.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

KobunFan posted:

I can't imagine that, even in the upper levels of one of the Fingers, they have many members that rival colors, if they have ANY. After all, [Snip]. Kali was only defeated by the combination of an Arbiter, two Claws, and every single abnormality in the facility while she was protecting people and that still ended in a draw!
I'm sure there's some non-Fixer figures that can rival Colors, if only because we've got one in the story right now in the form of Argalia. The fact that he was a Fixer first before his mental break lead to him forming a Syndicate and thus losing his Fixer license is irrelevant to the point because Fixers aren't the only strong people in the City. That said, I feel like people on that level would tend to be running Syndicates, and rather major Syndicates at that.

I suppose my rough estimate would be that there's probably as many non-Fixer figures in the City that could rival a Color as there are Colors at any given time, but they aren't all going to be in Syndicates, some are probably going just working more directly for Wings or even the Head. It's an extremely elite level to reach, but the City is big.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 8, 2024

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
There’s also the factor that, as we learned early on, top-grade equipment and enhancements count for much more than natural potential does. So I’d expect most wings to have some strong combatants whose bodies are mostly company property.

The Arbiters would also fall under this category, technically.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Mmmmhmm, I think one of the things it comes down to is that rather than raw strength to start out with (which an unaltered human won't be able to match combat mods no matter how strong they naturally are), the thing that really sets apart top-tier combatants in the City is the skill to use them properly. This gets built up over time so it's not like you can just get every good thing even if you're rich as hell and be super strong, and if you try to do that I feel like you'd be prone to hurting yourself or other people because you don't know how to use your own body. I think that's a big factor of why an innate ability to utilize EGO efficiently is one of Kali's talents, and since she rose to become the Red Mist before that, that same skill probably got used to efficiently fight with other equipment before that.

I'm sure Wings have come up with all sorts of ideas to try to give their employees that sort of skill and talent to have the best corporate thugs around, but it's not exactly a trivial thing. Look at how R Corp accomplishes this.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Lobotomy Corporation's 'cheat' was having the equipment wield the human, and even then the nuggets got dunked on by The Red Mist wielding Zayin gear because she actually knows how to use it. :v:

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

PetraCore posted:

Mmmmhmm, I think one of the things it comes down to is that rather than raw strength to start out with (which an unaltered human won't be able to match combat mods no matter how strong they naturally are), the thing that really sets apart top-tier combatants in the City is the skill to use them properly. This gets built up over time so it's not like you can just get every good thing even if you're rich as hell and be super strong, and if you try to do that I feel like you'd be prone to hurting yourself or other people because you don't know how to use your own body. I think that's a big factor of why an innate ability to utilize EGO efficiently is one of Kali's talents, and since she rose to become the Red Mist before that, that same skill probably got used to efficiently fight with other equipment before that.

I'm sure Wings have come up with all sorts of ideas to try to give their employees that sort of skill and talent to have the best corporate thugs around, but it's not exactly a trivial thing. Look at how R Corp accomplishes this.
This is why EGO is such a big deal, because it's one of the very few ways for a completely untrained scrub to instantly obtain the skills to go toe-to-toe with some of the most dangerous things in the City. That said, it's not like it doesn't come without its risks - without the strength of will to maintain yourself you're at risk of being overwhelmed by the ego of the EGO and losing yourself to it.

NotteBoy97
Aug 17, 2021
I would say overall Star of the Cities should be about equal to Color Fixers in 1v1s (well SotC's can be entire groups so much harder to call that a 1v1) cause while iirc Colors are said to be Colors for being able to solo SotC I think that's still an issue of compatibility and it would be totally believable that a Color could fail and die to random SotC like the Library, though the Library is a cheater who cheats compared to the average SotC.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

NotteBoy97 posted:

I would say overall Star of the Cities should be about equal to Color Fixers in 1v1s (well SotC's can be entire groups so much harder to call that a 1v1) cause while iirc Colors are said to be Colors for being able to solo SotC I think that's still an issue of compatibility and it would be totally believable that a Color could fail and die to random SotC like the Library, though the Library is a cheater who cheats compared to the average SotC.
So far, we've seen three Colors fall to Stars of the City. The Red Mist and Purple Tear to the Library, and the Vermillion Cross to the Ensemble. Admittedly, both of those have former Colors amongst their number (Gebura+Roland and Argalia respectively) but still.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Are there any individuals who are stars of the city all by themselves?

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

A jargogle posted:

Are there any individuals who are stars of the city all by themselves?

A few of the Reverberation Ensemble are individually SotC. Elena used to be on and has probably been reinstated, the Puppeteer was going to be elevated to that following the attack on the first class passengers, and the Crying Children could be after his rampage in the Nest for similar reasons but that's not confirmed. No one's ever said anything about it being noteworthy, so I imagine one man SotC's are just things that happen.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Greta would have been one technically, in between the other chefs dying and her joining the Ensemble.

Did the Eight Chefs have a cooking show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

CommunityEdition posted:

Greta would have been one technically, in between the other chefs dying and her joining the Ensemble.

Did the Eight Chefs have a cooking show?

Kitchen Urban Nightmares.