Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I'm sure, even had he not formed a gang, that the Blue Sicko would still end up a Star of the City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yeah, Colors going rogue probably end up Stars of the City if they live for long enough as a matter of course, and I wouldn't be shocked if Roland was basically given the offer of "accept we're stripping your rank and gently caress off or continue your murder spree and we're naming you a Star of the City and sending every fixer in the City after you"

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, Colors going rogue probably end up Stars of the City if they live for long enough as a matter of course, and I wouldn't be shocked if Roland was basically given the offer of "accept we're stripping your rank and gently caress off or continue your murder spree and we're naming you a Star of the City and sending every fixer in the City after you"

Like that one level from Cruelty Squad but it wasn't caused by a typo?

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Junpei posted:

Like that one level from Cruelty Squad but it wasn't caused by a typo?

Complete with the same “haha, our bad, see you at work tomorrow” outcome

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

NullBlack posted:

given the grade 9-7 fixers we fight, I have a feeling rookie!Kali's work clothes are what she's wearing in the right section of , but who knows? Maybe she was able to join a well financed office and got a fixer suit in the deal

Your version of Kali does look pretty good in a suit I'll admit. I'm imagining it's the opposite for her and she's getting more and more dishevelled and rough looking as she climbs up the ranks, with cigs making their appearance around grade 7 or so. Grade 5 is where the tie knot turns into something without a name, and grade 3 just does away with the whole suit thing.

Also please don't scare Lil' Kali away from a Fixer career. That's how you get time paradoxes. There's enough weird things in the City without... well, T Corp might already be generating some of those, but we don't need even more.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Just found this on youtube and thought I’d share: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQj34Hi8Xnc

Possible spoilers in comments

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

BassMug posted:

Just found this on youtube and thought I’d share: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQj34Hi8Xnc

Possible spoilers in comments

coming in here and dropping Ending G like it's nothing and wandering off, smh

in other news, update status: I have fallen into nostalgia hell and I'm only getting through maybe a half turn a day. Whoops! :buddy:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Book 48: Hana Association—Chapter 4

Music: GuestBattle01

Alright, boss. I just changed my reed and I'm ready to—

Not today, Steve. This one is my duty. You guys can all just watch.

Are you sure, si—

Okay, boss. We'll have a siesta. You want your privacy, right?

Appreciated. This is something I have to do.

Our reception today is a simple 1v1. It doesn't actually matter what Key Page we put on Roland here, as they actually don't matter..

Those gloves have unlocked Roland's keypage of the Black Silence.

Roland's new keypage comes complete with Speed 3, a ban on any alterations to our Combat pages, and an ability that gives him +2 Pages at the start of combat, while giving +2 Power to all dice on every third Combat Page he plays. Keeping track of that tempo makes him a bit more effective, and I always forget to do that.

Olivier, meanwhile, has one of the best chassis in the game for raw combat. The Twelve Fixers is great, giving a +2 to Minimum rolls that helps protect against terrible rng, while Four Trigrams is always useful and All for Hana ensures he has a solid defensive core to keep him going for a while.

Duel is actually a handicap skill, which powers Roland up. The Black Silence's Combat pages have dice that are at best only slightly more powerful than Olivier's pages, so in order to give us a fighting chance with a deck we don't know, Roland will be getting a hefty chunk of bonus HP and SR to even things out.

Music: KeterBattle01

Very kind of the Library to give me this opportunity. A simple 1-on-1 fight, without any frills.

Ah, your boss's notes said that this would be the right way to proceed, didn't they?

We observed as much, yes.

That's the Hana I've always heard of.

Olivier mostly uses the same attacks as his fellow Hana Association members, but we still have pages to show off: Our own. Over the course of this fight, we'll be seeing all of Roland's attacks, as the point of it is to give the player a chance to feel out his new abilities. He's no Red Mist or Binah, but he's got some good stuff in his own right.

First up, we have Durandal—a pair of decent dice that we really want to hit with as they give Roland +1 Strength next turn for each successful attack.

Each of his pages has an icon next to the cost as well—like with Blade Unlocked on the Proxies, this is just an indicator that we haven't played it yet.

Mook Workshop, meanwhile, is one of Roland's new recovery pages—2 Light for 1 Draw and 3 Light recovery, with a relatively chunky single die to work with. It's very good for breaking single Counter dice or stopping pages with one Offensive die lead.

How we line up our clashes is important in this fight, and on this turn we can't actually redirect either die. Since both are pointed at our rear die, I decide to eat a Celestial Spear die to ensure that we stop the Brace Up. Durandal aims for a one-sided attack, I'd really like to get that bonus to Strength.

Well. No need to put this off any longer.

Guh..!

You never did waste time.

And you never fought without that mask of yours.

You're right. I never have.

Is that the face you were always making, then?

This is just for business.

Of course.

I would have loved to get Lies here, but unfortunately didn't lose enough clashes to make that happen. Heart of Aspiration it is, since I would like to ideally control what goes where… and 15% of over 200 is pretty hefty.

…Back to business, then.

Right. Business.

Olivier is also capable of using Augury Kick, and we'll be stuffing it with Wheels Industry. It's got a massive 14-24 first die, and as the third Combat Page Roland will have used he'll get another +2 to it. It also destroys a die on the opponent's page upon winning a Clash, so it's actually great for blocking strong 2 or 3-die enemy pages.

The other page I use this turn is Old Boys Workshop, a powerful Light generation page that gives us a 1-for-3 trade, as well as letting us draw a page on use. If its attack hits, we also heal SR as well—it's very useful and worth playing almost any time it shows up.

Wheels Industry manages to completely stuff Augury Kick, of course.

And the Old Boys Workshop restores some of our SR.

With only one target available, Pale Hands is my other pick here—we could have taken Curiosity here, but Roland's got enough draw potential to keep things flowing regardless, making it worthless without Lies to go along with it.

Music: KeterBattle02

You know… it's funny.

What's funny?

That move you used just now… It was so awkward. Did the Library make you rusty?

You try wearing other people's bodies and see how comfortable you are afterwards.

That's why you haven't done that yet, then.

If I could have, I already would.

I have to warm up first.

I know. I saw how you handled yourself last time.

Furioso counts how many of his nine pages Roland has used, letting us see at a glance how many more we need to play to have used all of them. Right now, we've used four.

Meanwhile, the single sword is his Black Silence ability, which tracks how close we are to our third attack. On this turn, it'll be the second page that we use—remembering this exists can let us win clashes we otherwise wouldn't, so it's handy to keep the tempo in mind here.

Olivier throws down one of his new pages this turn: Double-edged Rencounter. It's a decent 3-cost page that makes subsequent dice get a +3 maximum roll when they win their Clashes. I've decided to block it with Crystal Atelier, a completely basic 3-cost page for Roland that has his only Counter die in the deck. This is actually very stupid of me, for the following reasons:

-Roland will not be getting his +2 Power on this attack.
-Olivier has +1 Endurance and +2 Strength, alongside a +2 to minimum dierolls.

This means the first clash is a 10-11 vs a 8-11, and it doesn't get better from there. Still, we have to play it eventually!

The other page we play this turn is Allas Workshop, which can use the +2 Power from being the third Combat Page played and its own -2 enemy Power effect to crush an Augury Kick.

If I'd been thinking, I would have shoved Crystal Atelier and Allas onto Augury Kick, to allow us to get a onesided attack off while praying for our Counter die to stop some of Rencounter, but I am not smart so I just clashed everything and called it a day.

That mask made you sloppy. You look where you're trying to strike.

On our next turn, both Olivier and Roland hit Emotion Level 3. One of the handy things about this fight is how balanced the Emotion gains are, making sure that we're never behind in total Speed Dice unless we get Staggered… at which point we'll have bigger problems to deal with.

On this turn, Olivier's using Geon to get bonus Strength, so I have to fire off Wheels Industry to block a Power-boosted True Trigram Formation. I also try to block a Celestial Spear with Learn, but that's really just wishful thinking. Olivier's 3 Strength and +2 minimum/+1 maximum dierolls weigh the odds heavily in his favor.

I also progress our Furioso stacks by playing Zelkova Workshop, a draw page which cannot have its cost changed by anything—most importantly Lies. It's decent enough drawtech outside of that.

And so, as if by cruel twist of fate the two old friends fought. There wasn't any more need for words between them. Sound itself seemed to fade between the pair.

Aside his one lucky blow, Olivier shows the clear upper hand.

Time and again his weapons strike home, overpowering Roland's blades.

But Roland has more blades he can call upon.

Blades, knives, and even guns that remain unused.

Music: KeterBattle03

Roland focuses entirely on breaking his old friend's stance before his own can be broken.

And so, the sounds of gunfire ring through the empty floor—a pair of pistols and a shotgun forcing Olivier back.

And the hesitation allows Roland to dash forward with his favorite sword: a pair of slashes that nearly take Olivier over the edge…

Nearly, but not quite.

Their willpower, as much as their skills, are tested as they dance on the edge of a knife. The slightest mistake could be the end of it all.

For an instant, Roland leaves his back open. Not anything more than a half-second of an opening, at most.

In a battle between two high-level Fixers, that opening is more than enough.

And now we are in serious trouble, as Olivier decides to use the strongest page in his deck.

Impugnatio Ultima is actually for discard decks, pitching Olivier's entire hand in exchange for +2 Power on every die on the page.

It hits exactly as hard as you'd think.

But whether through hesitation or miscalculation…

Olivier can't quite finish the job, either.

Music: GuestBattle03

Roland, 7 HP. Olivier, 8 SR. The next hit will determine the winner.

The edge of a knife.

And it's here that Roland uses his trump card, a unique E.G.O page much like the other Colors have had.

Furioso. An incredibly powerful attack, but one that requires all the other pages of the Black Silence keypage be used first.

The pair stare each other down. Neither man speaks—there isn't any point. The gloves of the Black Silence are working at their maximum capacity, and with it not a single sound can be heard within the room…

…aside the sounds of Roland's weapons, doing their bloody work.

And in the end, it all comes back to Durandal.

… Looks like you remembered how to use those gloves after all.

Yeah. Thanks for everything.

And…

Huuf… Pah…

Olivier's reception is ultimately a tutorial for the Black Silence keypage. It's a much more difficult fight than other tutorials in the game due to where it's located, but we have a lot of wiggle room to defeat Olivier—we even got Staggered and still pulled out a handy win.

Music: Result

You seem… really intense, sir.

You alright..?

Roland.

…Yeah.

VIDEO
Music: Lobby

That’s well… Umm… A case of… missing the right moment to confess it. I guess?

Though I do wonder, how were the Fixers we’ve seen unable to recognize you?

I completely concealed my identity behind this mask back when I worked as a Fixer.

…A tiny bit of personal info being leaked can come back to bite you in the ankle. It’s a lesson my gran taught me.

If you have any more secrets you’re keeping from me, you’d best find them well-hidden.

Although… You saved me this time, so I’ll forgive it. I might have suffered serious damage if I was forced to endure a thousand years in my current state.

Just doing my job, ma’am.

…And you just lost your friend, are you feeling okay?

…That’s that, and this is this.

With Olivier beaten, Roland permanently gains the Black Silence keypage for the rest of the game. Like with Binah, we can't alter it in any way—but we can add on passives if we want.

With the Hana Association finally dealt with, we can finally pick from our two Realizations that we have left over. However, there is also another option available:

We can also just continue the plot at any time, and the game is done with any sense of subtlety. There is no question mark anymore—we're dealing with Argalia's crew, and there's no point in hiding it.

Next time, on Library of Ruina

Apocalypse Mizu

I've been here with you all from the start of this story until now.

I already know there's no combination of words that could beat those two.

Videos

Hana Association 4

New Key Pages

New Combat Pages

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 24, 2024

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

And we're back!

The music for Keter floor hits differently now that you probably haven't used it for a long time and it's coming back at a climactic moment.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

I'm sorry, did it say "Units dployable:46" and also 10 acts on that reception?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Regallion posted:

Pure speculation on my part, but it sounds like the plan is to assault every floor simultaneously.

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL

TeeQueue posted:

…That’s that, and this is this.

The way Roland's VA delivers this line... :smith:

I'm very excited to see the result of the poll, but there is no way to go wrong, Ruina's endgame is an incredible ride and I'm here for it

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Regallion posted:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

There's only one answer and that's more Birds and Mizu. :colbert:

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Evil Kit posted:

There's only one answer and that's more Birds and Mizu. :colbert:

Exactly my feelings. The more Mizu the world has, the better.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

KobunFan posted:

Exactly my feelings. The more Mizu the world has, the better.
I know about the Birds, but who is Mizu?

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Dirk the Average posted:

Pure speculation on my part, but it sounds like the plan is to assault every floor simultaneously.
  • Argalia
  • Oswald
  • Greta
  • Gear lady
  • Bremen
  • Pluto
  • Puppeteer
  • Elena
  • Wolf bitch
  • Philip
10 ensemble members, 10 floors, not the weirdest theory, especially with a cast of literally every librarian minus 4 and 10 god drat acts.
Which raises the obvious followup question, who's fighting who?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

46 units is an interesting number. There are 50 librarians in the roster. Someone's going to be going solo.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

On one hand, Apocalypse Mizu. On the other? Endurance grudgematch at only mostly-full power. Gotta go grudgematch. Mizu can wait a lil longer.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Tenebrais posted:

46 units is an interesting number. There are 50 librarians in the roster. Someone's going to be going solo.
Could it be? Does Zaida get two days off in a row?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

but who is Mizu?

Ligma Birds

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Murderhobos looking for work

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...
imagine not voting for Mizu

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I know about the Birds, but who is Mizu?

I dunno, whatsa Mizu with you?

alulim_of_eridug
Oct 30, 2023

RandomReader posted:

• Argalia
  • Oswald
  • Greta
  • Gear lady
  • Bremen
  • Pluto
  • Puppeteer
  • Elena
  • Wolf bitch
  • Philip
10 ensemble members, 10 floors, not the weirdest theory, especially with a cast of literally every librarian minus 4 and 10 god drat acts.
Which raises the obvious followup question, who's fighting who?

Okay, assuming this is right, my guesses would be (I'm assuming that the fights will be bottom-to-top, but I'm writing top-to-bottom, since the top ones seem most obvious to me):

Keter: The Blue Sicko, for obvious reasons.
Hokma: The Church of Gears, since her and Pluto seem to be the two closest to Argalia, and she's a cult leader and therefore needs to attack the Floor of Religion.
Binah: Yesterday's Promise, since, like Eileen, he seems to be a more important member (and therefore belongs in the upper layer). Also, the enforcer of the Head's laws vs the enforcer of unfair contracts.
Chesed: The Eight Chefs, since nobody cares about either of them she's angry about Chesed being a coffee-drinker I don't know where else to put her/
Gebura: The Blood-Red Night, since angry red lady. (Also, Nosferatu)
Tiphereth: The Puppeteer, since he has the whole "Oh no, my son" thing, contrasting Tiph's "Oh no, my brother" thing.
Netzach: The Musicians of Bremen, since the musicians are obviously gonna attack the Floor of Art.
Hod: L'heure du Loup, since they're both best girl of their respective groups.
Yesod: The Eight O'Clock Circus, since Yesod would be hilariously exasperated by Oswald's antics.
Malkuth: The Whining Babies, since TQ set up the whole thing with Bishop, and obviously isn't gonna ignore it now.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Something about "Greet Uninvited Guests" hits.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

curiousCat posted:

Something about "Greet Uninvited Guests" hits.

Agreed! It's less blunt statement and more tacit threat, under the circumstances. You've seen what we did to invited guests over the last dozens of hours of gameplay, now see what we do to those who trespass.

Tenebrais posted:

Given their prior personal beef I'd have to imagine it's Roland v Argalia in the 1v1, right? We did just get the Color keypage for him, with a 1v1 tutorial to learn the ropes on it. Plus I don't think any other floor's patron librarian has prior beef with these folks apart from those who might have met Kali in her very first life.

Drakenel posted:

I dunno, whatsa Mizu with you?

MIZUPOCALYPSE SWEEP!!

Also a huge and probably unneeded shoutout to Furioso for being most visually gorgeous attack in the franchise at the time Library released.
It has since been topped (IMO) in Limbus Company by the equivalent of a 5-die attack so strong you literally can't see the animations of the final few dice because everything dies too fast. If you know, you know.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
New Key Pages

quote:

The Twelve Fixers
Cost: 6
Boost the *minimum* roll value of all dice by +2. At Emotion Level 3 or higher, also boost the *maximum* roll value of all dice by +1.
The best of the Hana characters. Does all the usual Hana things but also has Twelve Fixers, which is a pretty phenomenal passive. At it essentially gives 2 power while not actually counting as power at all, meaning that it bypasses power negation effects like Xiao's. It's extremely powerful in the right scenario.

[INSERT THE BLACK SILENCE HERE]
I'll hold off on analyzing this one until we do all of the Realizations, since Keter's EGO is a pretty important part of the analysis.

New Combat Pages

Too high cost for the values it has, isn't monotype so you can't easily boost it, and getting max value instead of power on clash win means that the reward you get from winning clashes isn't even reliable! You can still roll a 6 and a 5 on those last two hits! Hard pass.

The best of the Discard core pages. Discard has finally achieved its final form.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

GilliamYaeger posted:

Too high cost for the values it has, isn't monotype so you can't easily boost it, and getting max value instead of power on clash win means that the reward you get from winning clashes isn't even reliable! You can still roll a 6 and a 5 on those last two hits! Hard pass.

Combine that with Twelve Fixer and boom, the card is a nuke. You get from 7-10/6-8/5-8 to a 9-10/8-8/7-8 with the base version of the passive and at emotion 3, it becomes a 9-10/8-9/7-9. Don't forget the card effet which make it go to 9-10/8-12/7-12. If you have some strength laying around, it can go even further beyond!

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Combine that with Twelve Fixer and boom, the card is a nuke. You get from 7-10/6-8/5-8 to a 9-10/8-8/7-8 with the base version of the passive and at emotion 3, it becomes a 9-10/8-9/7-9. Don't forget the card effet which make it go to 9-10/8-12/7-12. If you have some strength laying around, it can go even further beyond!
If I'm using Twelve Fixers to boost up a card, I'd rather put it on Purple Tear and abuse Overcharge.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
just sayin'

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
And finally all the Orlando Furioso poo poo REALLLLY comes to the forefront, allllmmoooosssstttt.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Yo, falling back to almost myth-like narration was peak. gently caress yeah. Also, I like how Roland’s Black Silence moveset looks kind of, but not quite, like his initial starting strikes/defends.

Also, maybe I’m reading too much into it, but furioso is also a pretty common instruction in music, to play with fury and aggression. I guess the pianist ledt a mark even on his moveset,

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

GilliamYaeger posted:

If I'm using Twelve Fixers to boost up a card, I'd rather put it on Purple Tear and abuse Overcharge.

Yeah but Olivier is also boosting every card in the deck

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Apocalypse Mizu makes me think of "Apocalypse Now" except with Mizus. Which I'm sure could be hilariously funny if I knew anything more about that movie than the name. Incidentally I didn't know we had any more choices left, I thought we were riding the plot train straight to conclusionville with no chance of other stops.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Tombot posted:

Apocalypse Mizu makes me think of "Apocalypse Now" except with Mizus. Which I'm sure could be hilariously funny if I knew anything more about that movie than the name. Incidentally I didn't know we had any more choices left, I thought we were riding the plot train straight to conclusionville with no chance of other stops.
We haven't done the Hokma, Binah or Keter Realizations yet.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Regallion posted:

I never noticed that part when playing myself, that's hilarious.

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023
I really love how The Black Silence's keypage works. Heck, the entire deck is really cool—having nine different weapons, none of them being used more than once in the deck except for Furioso. The way all the cards are(presumably) named after what Workshop made them is also really fun, like he's just dryly exhibiting his weapons to a potential client.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
I knew it was never going to happen with this thread controlling who the Library fights next, but I do appreciate how you're allowed to challenge what is clearly the endgame without fully realizing all of the Floors first. Even though the preview of "46 units deployable, 10 floors available, 10 acts" tells you upfront that this is a very bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
The thing about the description that really terrifies me is the potential prospect of having to equip every floor at once with a deck. That would make a lot of sense as to why folks tend to gravitate towards singleton decks - it's a lot easier to make duplicate decks when you have more of a given card to work with.

It'd also require some librarians to be given "suboptimal" keypages. Then again, maybe you can just have one immortal Yesod floor and wipe out everyone after their floor gets destroyed?