Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
So if you were to try again, would you be able to recognise somebody from a previous run-through and know how they would react to things or are they randomly generated each time?

Edit: Update 3 on bottom of previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

So the worldviews on the Tarkhans are randomized or at least semi-randomized each run. You need to pick up hints about them from the way they address you, act, and talk.

On top of that, the cards that you get to speak to them with are random too. You might end up with a Tarkhan who hates the Romani and only have speech options that espouse how great they are. The last time I spoke to Issi, she was a murderboss, and hated pacificism and being nice. So...

Best way to mitigate this is to loot gifts from wrecks, but right now I am prioritizing money for my fleet. Gifts get you a free 'success' and another card to pick from.

Each success is important, as it is how much you can draw on that ally for assistance during the campaign, you cannot refresh these uses at any point ever. There might also be a use for this resource however...

Tarkhan assistance can give you some huge emergency bonuses.

Pyotr for example can rush repairs. Others may give you a big cash injection or free ships or even free intel on enemy movements. The art for all of them is cool as hell as well.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Can we run into Isi later, or did Mark Sayadi blow it with the only lady in the game?

Also, please name a strategic missile ship TheGreatEvilKing.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Name a skylark Dreams of Isi so we can have her in spirit if not in fact

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Can we run into Isi later, or did Mark Sayadi blow it with the only lady in the game?

Also, please name a strategic missile ship TheGreatEvilKing.

Slaan posted:

Name a skylark Dreams of Isi so we can have her in spirit if not in fact

Loving both of these suggestions. And yeah we blew it, she's probably living it large in a hidden city somewhere now.

Aright, Part 4: Hidden Cities, Airstrikes and Baiting the Enemy.

Please note this is the last video with live commentary for fights. After this, I move to post commentary. This video also starts where the other left off, so please forgive the abrupt beginning. All future videos are properly timed 30 minutes of playtime with a start and end. Thanks again for putting up with this for now.

Video Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FnfOY0s154

So a lot of important things happen in this session. The first thing is that we fail to find our Hidden City. This is a bit of a blow. I could have invested more time and money into searching for it just now, but I felt like I wanted to start making a bit of noise and I still had time before the Svestapol got into range anyway. Hidden Cities are an extremally important mechanic in the game, they are unaligned cities hidden in the desert. Finding them is hard, but they are the only safe ports in the game. In all of the marked cities, if you wait for too long someone will get a burner phone and call the enemy, revealing your position. The likelihood of this happening is indicated by Pyotr popping up with a little sweat on his brow and a DANGEROUS tag being added to the city in question. Wait too much longer after that and it will turn red and a couple of cruise missiles will be inbound.

A Hidden city has no time limitation, it's perfect for large refueling jobs, big refits, or RnR for your low morale crews. The townsfolk even give you some money just for turning up. Finding them is quite difficult, however. The only thing you can really go on is to look for obvious gaps in the web of cities and then follow roads out into the desert. You can also switch your radar, if your hunting ship has one, to ground scan and look for contacts. Either way, it's hit or miss. I know for a fact there is one NE of Golgabaz, I just need to search it out. Once we have dealt with some Strike Groups, we will take another look.

We also use our airstrike capability for the first time in this video, airstrikes are an extreme force multiplier and are very easy to overlook both due to them being hidden away in an offscreen menu and being a little obtuse to use. We have two planes available to us

The LA-29 Turbojet Fighter/Bomber
The T-7 Supersonic Interceptor/Bomber

Both planes have a range of roughly 2000km (that's a round trip distance - 4000km if you don't want them to come back) Once the planes reach their destination they will loiter as long as they can afford before returning to base UNLESS you order them to do something else while they are in the air. Once a plane has expended its ammo it will rtb. The T-7 is much faster than the LA-29 and can equip more heavy ordinance.

Ordinance includes 122mm Rockets, AA missiles, 100KG and 250KG bombs.
The LA-29 also has access to 266mm rockets.

Both planes have a 37mm main gun that is always available when dispatched. You can choose to send a plane out with no secondary weapons, if you do it will not engage (no gun runs) but will defend itself with the gun if attacked. This is great for scouting enemy positions.

When you are building a sortie, the numbers next to each weapon type represent one full load of that weapon type not your max stock. If you have 7 122mm rockets showing, that means you have 7 full loads of rockets. People misunderstand this all the time!

By hitting KARKEMESH with our planes first we do three important things.
1: We scout the garrison, so we are able to make a desicion on whether our light interceptor can engage
2: We soften the garrison, meaning our lighter ship has a better chance of winning
3: We raise the alarm.

Usually, we do not ever want the enemy to get an alarm squawk off. As soon as they do the enemy Strike and Strategic Groups will move in our direction and attempt to investigate. However, my plan is to lay an ambush around this city, and destroy any attacking Strike Group that comes to investigate through the use of bombing runs and cruise missile strikes, so I need to give them a point to fixate on so I can find them, and that's why I send the Lightning in straight after the fighters.

The Enemy know we are here.

We also get our first Radio Intercept in this video. I will go through this in more detail in a later video! You can tell I am getting quite excited at the prospect of ambushing a Strike Group by the dog's breakfast I make of reading the radio intercept direction indicator which in fact maintains the correct bearing even though I think it doesn't in the heat of the moment! So many plates to juggle! Looking back, this message looks to be GRANITE informing TABAL that they are onroute from ABAL at speed 120.

Things get pretty exciting over the next few videos as we set up to engage and destroy (or be destroyed by) our first enemy Strike Group. (Let's ignore my insane luck at stumbling over our third landed trade fleet.)

Thanks again for sticking with me through all these technical issues!

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 27, 2021

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

incorrect on armor v 57mm.

You simply did not use ENOUGH 57mm

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
This is tense :stare:

About what percent of the map do you control?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Sherbert Hoover posted:

This is tense :stare:

About what percent of the map do you control?

0%, you are not really in "control" of those cities,

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who struggles with this game's combat.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

If you click on the message marker on the map, does it give you its bearing from that?

That was an intense episode either way. That Lightning is going to need a long time to recover, even w8ithout the repairs.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Veloxyll posted:

If you click on the message marker on the map, does it give you its bearing from that?

That was an intense episode either way. That Lightning is going to need a long time to recover, even w8ithout the repairs.

Pretty sure it does, I was just stressing. It's all good, the info wasn't that important. I mean knowing that Granite was on route would have been great for what comes next but.. we deal with it. Mostly.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

They came to snuff the Rooster.

But you know (s)he ain’t gonna die! She might be missing an engine and she might have some new ports to look out of, but she’s as tough as a customer as she can be (or at least, as much as she can be if you keep moving)!

Serious question now: Does leveling up crews do anything else than just give extra perks?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Can you please name one of the Skylarks "Water Buffalo"? A fit name for a tanker!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Remember to breathe. :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cooked Auto posted:

Remember to breathe. :v:

I've been playing it since picking it up thanks to this LP and this is surprisingly hard to remember to do when everything is going wrong and everything is on fire.

Lotta games will tell you you're vastly outnumbered and outgunned. This game means it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I was mostly referring that the post commentary doesn't have to be in the same breathtaking speed as the live one as I caught part 5 on my recently uploaded feed on YT.
It is a bit distracting as things get mentioned in very rapid succession and makes it hard to process. It's kinda like listening to sports commentary.

But I will say that the map gameplay with the heavy sub combat themes is interesting. And possibly the best part so far. Especially the ELINT part is very neat.
The actual combat seems okay in comparison.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
I mean, the actual problem here appears to be that it is live commentary, rather than post, and in Phrosphors own words he's not very good at commentating and playing at the same time.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

MShadowy posted:

I mean, the actual problem here appears to be that it is live commentary, rather than post, and in Phrosphors own words he's not very good at commentating and playing at the same time.

Part 5 is post.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cooked Auto posted:

The actual combat seems okay in comparison.

I'm really, really enjoying playing the combat, myself. Something about the combat engine just hits home for me with how the weight of everything translates and how the shooting works.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Night10194 posted:

I'm really, really enjoying playing the combat, myself. Something about the combat engine just hits home for me with how the weight of everything translates and how the shooting works.

The sound design is out of this world, too. I'm not sure I know any other game where guns sound *that* meaty. Dunno how they got a Flakvierling inside a recording studio booth but...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

Dunno how they got a Flakvierling inside a recording studio booth but...

It's amazing what you can do with microphones these days.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

This game can really make you clench, like realizing it isn't one strike group that you lured in... but three, and they have missile and aircraft groups supporting

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Yeah that happened to me yesterday in fact, I sent the Skylark II's out to triangulate the incoming enemy signal and realised that there were three different ELINT contacts when you got a different angle on them.

Oops.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Is there any reason to take a Wanderer as a tanker over a Skylark? The Skylark seems to do basically everything you want an auxiliary listening/tender ship to do for 1/3 the price.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Is there any reason to take a Wanderer as a tanker over a Skylark? The Skylark seems to do basically everything you want an auxiliary listening/tender ship to do for 1/3 the price.

Wanderer can fight back

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Is it possible to get more than one set of directions to a hidden city to help triangulate?

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Picked up the game because of the LP, early on I'm doing ok but when stuff with lots of armor starts showing up I'm not really able to deal with it because my aim with AP ammo is trash. Hopefully later videos will give an example of how to transition into the midgame without dying horribly.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Grizzwold posted:

Picked up the game because of the LP, early on I'm doing ok but when stuff with lots of armor starts showing up I'm not really able to deal with it because my aim with AP ammo is trash.

A: Try changing the aiming cursor style in the options menu!

B: Remember, the "AP" in AP ammo stands for "This is almost hitscan". Very flat arc, very fast. Treat it like a laser gun!

C: If all else fails, forget AP ammo! Get up in their face and shoot 'em where the armor isn't! :black101:

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Veloxyll posted:

Part 5 is post.

Ah. Oops.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Part six is out, but we haven't had a post for part 5 yet.

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!
Just wanted to say that I am enjoying the LP, I haven't pulled the trigger on the game yet, but it might happen in the future.

I have a question about the start, do you have to buy the ships presented to you or can you design your own and start the game with them?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

You definitely can buy your own designs, it's not problem. (You just have to edit the files outside the game a tiny bit...)

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

DagPenge posted:

Just wanted to say that I am enjoying the LP, I haven't pulled the trigger on the game yet, but it might happen in the future.

I have a question about the start, do you have to buy the ships presented to you or can you design your own and start the game with them?

ships you design can show up on that screen yes. With a bit of ini editing you can even make your own flagships

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
This LP is fantastic.

Additionally, rename the sev after your cat.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Is the only way you get money is by looting enemy ships?

Banditu
Mar 16, 2009

SugarAddict posted:

Is the only way you get money is by looting enemy ships?
You can also :
  • capture enemy trade ships and sell them
  • ask one of your allies for money

Thanks for this great LP.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Part 5: Baiting the Enemy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk2OBZo4As4

Alright! Things are getting interesting. We get our first ELINT contacts in this video and this marks a significant shift in our gameplay. The enemy is moving in our direction and one of our passive sensors has picked up their radar sweeps as they look for us. As this is their territory, they are arrogantly searching for us with every active sensor system they can. We are now in proper Hunt for the Red October territory. We need to find them, hit them, and wipe them out before they find us and bring in strategic support. We CANNOT take a stand-up fight with an enemy strike group. GRANITE and VARYAG (shudder) represent a campaign-ending threat if they engage us in close combat. The only ship we possess that can go toe to toe with these ships is the SVESTAPOL, and if the SVESTAPOL is fighting, we are losing. It's too precious to get into a slugging match.

There is sadly a significant bug that affects how I play for this and the next video. The ELINT sensor pod on my SKYLARK craft has an effective operating range of 1500KM. However, when I confirm this in-game by checking the ship's ELINT statistics, I click on the module and this changes the in-game display to show 750KM! Because of this bug, I end up acting on pretty terrible intelligence and it might be pretty frustrating to watch, but I promise things to pick up nicely after this.

This is the ELINT panel. It is crucial to our playstyle. This is our most effective passive sensor. In game terms our ships mounted with ELINT Sensors can detect when enemy radar sweeps pass over them and can use this to roughly estimate the bearing and distance this hit them from. Using multiple ELINT sensors, or ships that are much faster than the originating signal, it is possible to triangulate the position of the radar emitting fleet without them detecting you. The outer ring of lights on the panel will light up to show the bearing of the detected radar sweep, this is only moderately accurate and you need to allow for +/-15 degrees variance. The inner-circle will light up depending on the strength of the sweep, which indicates how far away it was. Each lit panel represents roughly 300KM (+/-150KM). As you can see this is not an accurate sensor, but using multiple sensors will help eliminate the uncertainty.

There is some luck involved in this. You need your detecting ships to be small so that their radar profiles are low and they are not picked up by the radar sweeps they are detecting. If you get too close then the resolution on the sweep is better and you are more likely to be picked up.

This is our plan to defeat GRANITE. Pinpoint their location with passive sensors and wipe them out before they realize we know where they are.

Thanks for sticking with this LP even if my videos aren't the best, I am just enjoying sharing this game with people as it is very tough to get into but once you peel away the surface there is SO MUCH going on.

Also, I have collected all the name requests in the thread and will be using them in my next video. Though I am not sure how I feel with renaming the SVESTAPOL to.. HAGGIS...

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 31, 2021

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Sevastapole should be maximum sad sky russian though. Any name it has should be sad, russian, and in the sky. Pyotr will point at you furiously if you do not keep to this.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

posted on video 5 about running from strike groups, and I have to say thanks to this LP I took down the strike group after me by blowing them up with air strikes and cruise missiles. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

posted on video 5 about running from strike groups, and I have to say thanks to this LP I took down the strike group after me by blowing them up with air strikes and cruise missiles. Thank you!

My first run I just bumbled and bulled through three of them with absolutely no long range capability before the fourth finally got me by bringing a Nomad.

My second, the Longbow and cruise missiles let me take on one then another in quick succession without too much trouble after watching. Watching fighters just pummel the hell out of enemy cruisers from afar is really satisfying. It also helped that a pirate prince gave me a Komoran CL for free in the second town. Thanks, pirate guy! He wasn't even a Tarkhan, just a random event.

Speaking of I wish there was like a pass turn/ask question option with Tarkhans so you don't just have to eat poo poo when Grand Duke Mark suddenly decides the only thoughts he's got with the woman who Hates Injustice and Loves Kindness are 'lol gently caress the poor' and 'THE WEAK MUST DIE'.

E: Perhaps it's because Pyotr can't be there to point angrily at the Tarkhan's traits to beat it into Mark's head to stop loving up.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 31, 2021