Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I find strike fleets easier to deal with than the cities around the capital with lots of missile and gun frigates. Cruisers are pathetically vulnerable to 180mm ap and single volley will usually penetrate to ammo or fuel and kill them.

As for the skip turn that's what the gift cards are for!

Saros fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Your cats name is Haggis?

Excellent.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am really glad they made stuff like AA pickets, listening ships, raiding ships, CVs, missile carriers, etc all actually useful in this game.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 1, 2021

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Are the "capital" class vessels primarily auxiliary support/strategic combat vessels like carriers and missile cruisers and a single flagship or will we start to see these corvette class vessels giving way to frontline combat with larger vessels like cruisers/battleships as the game progresses?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ship spoilers: I don't think heavy cruisers appear outside of strike groups/events but there's a ring of cities around the capital which have cruise missile ships, carriers and light cruisers. Unfortunately with the current game state cruisers are actually less dangerous than heavy frigates to a player because they use the large fuel tanks and big guns which need lots of ammo so they basically die instantly to AP ammo.

Also phrosphor there is a beta update which rebalances armor and a bunch of other stuff which might be worth checking out

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Broken Box posted:

Are the "capital" class vessels primarily auxiliary support/strategic combat vessels like carriers and missile cruisers and a single flagship or will we start to see these corvette class vessels giving way to frontline combat with larger vessels like cruisers/battleships as the game progresses?

Battleships and cruisers would be fun if they could artillery shell things within visible range

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

When I saw Kushan as a city name I was hoping we would have an Avatar-class heavy cruiser as our frontline combat vessel in our future.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

AtomikKrab posted:

0%, you are not really in "control" of those cities,

it seems like he can revisit cities after killing the garrison without having to fight again

what am i missing here?

how much more of the map is there?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Sherbert Hoover posted:

it seems like he can revisit cities after killing the garrison without having to fight again

what am i missing here?

how much more of the map is there?

I won't spoiler later in the game.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
ah ok

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Without spoilers it would be good just to get a sense of proportionately how far through a single playthrough we are. I don't think any reviews I've seen have commented on the pacing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Should we be holding off on commenting until the thread catches up with the videos? I have a lot I'd like to ask about your strategy as of episode 8.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Alchenar posted:

Without spoilers it would be good just to get a sense of proportionately how far through a single playthrough we are. I don't think any reviews I've seen have commented on the pacing.

According to the game we are 20% of the way through. It's difficult to approximate because I could just beeline straight for Khiva but I want to destroy as many Strike and Strategic Support groups on the way. We have 'taken' a lot of territory in the south in a very short space of time thanks to the Rooster and The Lone Badger being able to operate independently.

Part 6: Strategic Strike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5HZ5wKMT08

So we conduct our first strategic operation in this video. Attacking Granite at long range with bombers and cruise missiles to wipe them out without endangering our primary fighting ships. In general, this operation is a success. In terms of how we affected this victory, we didn't do a great job.

Firstly, losing our four supersonic Interceptor/Bombers due to a 'command error' is pretty unforgivable, and I am still upset about it. I had multiple opportunities to save those planes and I froze. I talk about it at length in the video so I won't retread the ground here.

Secondly, the Fighter/Bombers lost to the enemy AA missile. I could have possibly avoided that as well by ordering an immediate evac when I saw the missile launch. They then could have been ordered to come around for another attack run.

Thirdly, the ideal scenario would have been to leave at least one of the cruisers limping, so it could be finished off by a Lightning and we could have looted it, but that is something I am not too worried about missing out one.

Ideally, we want to weave our attacks around each other. If we get our timings right, we can have a cruise missile come in, then bombers, then another missile, then more bombers. This way we exhaust our enemies defences until one attack makes it through and we can quickly finish them off once they are wounded.

Going forward I will be switching to A-100 Tactical Missiles. These are extremally fast (4000km/h) short-range (400KM) radar homing missiles that detonate in a piercing frangible blast on close proximity to the target. I can utilise my FENNEC's FCS radar to guide these in and the hope is their insane speed will let them slip in before CWIS fire can take them out.

Our next couple of episodes switch back to live commentary, and I will focus on regrouping and then refitting before identifying our next strategic target. I will get them written up soon so the thread can catch up with the posted videos!

Thanks for tagging along!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Can you explain more about using the Fennek for that? I'm not quite sure how to use A-100s.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

A-100 actually move at the same speed in the tactical combat if I remember right.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Can’t wait to see the thread’s reactions to all the shenanigans you have the Rooster pull (been watching on YouTube and don’t wanna spoil people if they’re only looking at the thread). She’s a tough bird! Especially with that 130mm on her. That seems to do a lot of carnage.

EDIT: Also, would it be considered gauche to ask you to add bookmarks/links to videos in the OP? It’d certainly help me keep up with updates, I can say that much. Might help others, too.

HereticMIND fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 5, 2021

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Part 7: Hidden Cities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXi2zNMBD1o

All right, after taking out our first strike group, it's time to regroup, repair and start thinking about refits. The biggest achievement for us here is finding our first Hidden City.

Hidden Cities are an extremally important mechanic in Highfleet. Firstly, they are safe harbour - the only place in the game you can land your ships and not worry about someone contacting the enemy on a burner phone and revealing your location. The people in the hidden city also love you, and shower you with gifts, it's great.

The most exciting thing about this Hidden City, is that it isn't even the one we have the quest to find, which means there is another somewhere in the North East of Golga.. hopefully north of Tabal the fleet HQ which will be our next stopover.

Things get... crazy pretty soon, so I hope you are still enjoying this. Thanks again for watching!

HereticMIND posted:

Can’t wait to see the thread’s reactions to all the shenanigans you have the Rooster pull (been watching on YouTube and don’t wanna spoil people if they’re only looking at the thread). She’s a tough bird! Especially with that 130mm on her. That seems to do a lot of carnage.

EDIT: Also, would it be considered gauche to ask you to add bookmarks/links to videos in the OP? It’d certainly help me keep up with updates, I can say that much. Might help others, too.

I am trying hard to catch the thread up and answer questions, thanks for sticking with it! I will add the bookmarks to the OP, it's a great idea.

Night10194 posted:

Can you explain more about using the Fennek for that? I'm not quite sure how to use A-100s.

Once we catch the thread up I will post about this in the video where I attempt to use them like this! I just don't like double posting updates.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Is there a limit to how long you can dick around in a hidden city upgrading ships, or is the game not on a big timer?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Thanks for doing this LP, it's given me a better look at a game I had mostly dismissed as a side scrolling shooter.

I'm still not sure I'll actually buy it, since it's the sort of game that seems like it would leave me immensely frustrated, but it's a lot more interesting than I thought when I saw screenshots.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Is there a limit to how long you can dick around in a hidden city upgrading ships, or is the game not on a big timer?

No limit, this is the advantage of Hidden Cities. They are the only place it is safe to do huge refits on ships, though you usually need to ship over the components because they don't have a lot on stock themselves.

Bremen posted:

Thanks for doing this LP, it's given me a better look at a game I had mostly dismissed as a side scrolling shooter.

I'm still not sure I'll actually buy it, since it's the sort of game that seems like it would leave me immensely frustrated, but it's a lot more interesting than I thought when I saw screenshots.

This is kind of one of the main reasons I wanted to do this LP. The game is not very easy to describe or explain, and there is a lot more than appears on the surface. When I bought it was very unsure if I was making a good choice, as I am usually terrible at strategic wargames, but once I got into the dirt, diesel, and pointing russians I totally fell in love with it and wanted to share it with more people.

Part 8: The Prophecy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO8DeeGL9zU

One of the things that REALLY hooked me on this game, is that it has an actual storyline running through it. And it's interesting. A lot of wargames either replay WW2, or give you a scenario without a huge amount of storytelling around it. This, for me, is something quite different. There is something going on. We don't know a huge amount.

What we do know is the world we are on is not Earth, but somewhere called Elaat. It's a supergiant planet, the Gerat region itself has a larger surface area than our entire world. Sometime in the past, possibly a hundred years ago, possibly a thousand years ago The Calamity occurred. The Calamity involved the destruction of Kharu, the MOON. They blew up their moon, or someone blew up their moon. Next time we have a night fight peep the background and you will notice there is no moon sprite in the sky. This isn't an oversight.

After Kharu was destroyed, shards of it crashed into Elaat, leaving huge craters and unleashing a massive electromagnetic disturbance destroying 'The minds of the old machines'. Leaving the ancestors of our protagonists in a postapocalyptic desert with no computers.

214 years ago, the Romani Empire was founded, and the heads of the Great Houses chose Duke Sayadi to become the Hereditary Sovereign of the people. They prospered and grew to be the largest nation on Elaat in the time since.

36 years ago, King Elaou-Ali of Gerat, a northern desert region, swore allegiance to Romani Emporer Kerim Shah II in order to win an elusive victory in his war with the Khans. The Romani fleet flew north and wiped out the forces of the Khan's, ending a long-running war and finally bringing long-desired peace to the region.

Nearly three decades later, an imperial officer who had risen to become Governor of Khiva, the capital city of the Gerat region, deposed the king and rebelled against the Sayadi dynasty and the Romani Empire. He rallied the Great Houses of the region and formed a republic with them, claiming the Kingdom of Gerat dead.

There had long been skirmishing and harsh words between the Sayadi Dynasty and the Great Houses of Gerat before this occurred, and the Imperial Army and Fleet were preparing for a major conflict. Nobody expected what happened next, however, as the Gerat Republic ('The Gathering') launched a massive first strike, overwhelming the professional military of the Romani Empire with the sheer number of private forces the Great Houses combined were able to bring to bear on their enemies. The Romani suffered defeat after defeat, and at the start of the game are hanging on by a thread, marshalling their forces near the capital to defend the Emporer and High Command.

High Command seized on the opportunity to send a small fleet (that's us) around the enemy in an attempt to cut off their supply lines, as the Gerat forces were overextended. However even as this fleet was victorious in doing so, news reached it of the discovery of a functioning nuclear reactor in Khiva, under the control of The Gathering. There are only two other known functioning reactors, and this discovery greatly distorts the balance of power in Elaat. Possibly because of this discovery, or maybe simply bad timing, The Gathering initiate the next phase in their assualt on the Romani by launching an unexpected and unprecedented nuclear strike against the Romani capital and the primary Romani fleet. Contact with High Command, the Imperial Family and the Romani Fleet are lost, and our smaller fleet is suddenly stranded between the enemy homeland and their fleet, with their own home burning on the other side of the largest fleet ever seen.

Our character is the son of the Emporer on their first military assignment. They aren't even in charge of the small fleet they are traveling with but instead have their own small command. When news of the strike reaches them, they realise that heading south to help the survivors is foolish if they wish to win the war, they need to race the Gerat Fleet back to Khiva and take it and the Nuclear Reactor for their own before it can be used to create more WMD. The commanders of the fleet decide to put the last known surviving member of the Sayadi Dynasty in charge, in the hopes that it will lead them to victory.

Now that we are traveling in the desert, the people of Gerat whisper our name, prophecies of one who will stand over all are gripped tightly by Doyens across the region, fragments from ancient Holy books lost in The Calamity.

Meanwhile, it rains in the desert.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

There is no timer.

Having now finished the game twice, it's phenomenal, but I think it's got the Dark Souls thing where it gets talked up as harder than it actually is. You can seat of your pants things quite a lot, and overcomplicating your plans can even be pretty ruinous sometimes; you definitely have enough rope to outsmart yourself if you try to get cute. But if you're on the fence due to difficulty or thinking that all this 'trying to triangulate the enemy by ELINT' stuff is going to be tedious, it's not quite as utterly essential as you might think.

The only truly tedious part of the game is the message intercept minigame. Good lord is that annoying to deal with sometimes. Every time you're doing anything, no, it is time to adjust some dials! And decode messages! I mostly ignored it my second victory and I barely noticed not using it, so you don't even get that much benefit out of it most of the time.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, I stumbled in here and am finding the strategic play very compelling, espcially considering that I wouldn't survive long at all if I played this myself. I love the creativity, if I was asked to come up with the concept for a game I don't think I'd arrive at "what if lunar lander but it's giant flying oil rig-looking battleships crossed with submarine warfare".
Is there any magic tech that helps keep these things aloft, or just that the rocket boosters are big and magically efficient enough to let them cruise for hundreds of kilometres at a time?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One thing I'd suggest in piloting the Lightning. The thrust to weight ratio is way more important than the top speed. Pulling a sort of 'kickstop' in the air with a short burst of afterburner fucks the enemy's lead and leaves you in a more stable position to shoot back, I find, and actually uses less fuel.

Though my true love is the Gladiator. Good old Gladiator. Hero of Romani fleet.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Crazy Achmed posted:

Is there any magic tech that helps keep these things aloft, or just that the rocket boosters are big and magically efficient enough to let them cruise for hundreds of kilometres at a time?

I did some extremely rough back-of-envelope calculations and the engines only work if they are some sort of hyper-optimised nuclear powered airbreathers but at that point you may as well make more traditional aircraft using them. The alternative explanation is that 1) Gravity appears to be lower than 1g ingame and 2) The atmospheric density may be low (everyone uses masks and supplementatl oxy all the time). This doesn't explain how jet fighters work as well as they do at the same time. The actual lore says its all taking palce on an arid super-earth planet which explains the massive distances you travel.

But no overall the wacky deiselpunk rocket-rigs dont really make physical sense but they are fun!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah I know it's never good to think too hard about these things (the talk of the super-earth setting started me down this train of thought - shouldn't gravity be high?), plus the clunkiness is a pretty neat aesthetic. I think the only thing I've noticed so far that seems to be made of bakelite or other plastics might be the radio handset dangling from the top of the UI, it's a nice touch.
Are the cruisers meant to look like giant square oil rig type things? I'm trying to picture what they look like in 3D and they just don't seem like they're meant to be streamlined or otherwise pointy in any direction at all.

Anyway, is the way that we're playing this the way you're "meant" to play? That is, with independent strike groups running around while the flagship lurks on silent running somewhere in the background. Or if you follow the tutorials, does it push you more towards keeping everything slower-moving and more tightly grouped, stopping at cities just long enough to repair and re-arm before you get ratted out and have to leave?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You can win doing either, though sending out small raiding forces from the main fleet hiding in the desert is generally more fuel efficient and fuel is one of your greatest enemies.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The fuel scarcity makes me wonder how the enemies and trade fleets manage to move, there doesn't seem to be civilian tankers running around, or military ones following the strike groups.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Yeah the density of the planet would have to be super-low, something like a third of earth's from the measurements given in-game. To me that screams artificial because I don't think anything natural would have such low density. They should have just set it on like a ringworld or orbital or something cool.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SIGSEGV posted:

The fuel scarcity makes me wonder how the enemies and trade fleets manage to move, there doesn't seem to be civilian tankers running around, or military ones following the strike groups.

There's plenty of fuel; you can always buy enough to top up in towns. You just have very limited funds and time spent in towns can be dangerous to you (whether from someone sending a message OR one of those loving merchants stumbling on you and raising an alarm) so making sure your fleet has fuel is a constant problem for you. The enemy isn't trying to hide much, so they don't have any problem fueling up.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Ah, that must have been the repairs messing with me.

I am absolutely terrible at the 2D combat part of the game, I reached Ur and moved to take the surrounding cities, then I take far too much damage all the time, I just drift into bullets, it's terrible, so I'm short on money and therefore short on fuel.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

The enemy operates under "total war" rules the whole time where they just refuel by sitting in a town. They also seem to repair even while in the air up to and including spontaneously generating new ships. If you go for a Strike group make sure you win because if it gets away it will come back and the reinforcements they generate can include carriers and Varyags.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Saros posted:

The enemy operates under "total war" rules the whole time where they just refuel by sitting in a town. They also seem to repair even while in the air up to and including spontaneously generating new ships. If you go for a Strike group make sure you win because if it gets away it will come back and the reinforcements they generate can include carriers and Varyags.

Yes. Never, ever let a Strike Fleet get away.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Just discovered this LP and binged 7 videos last night. This game has been on my radar for a while but I couldn't figure out what it was from the snippets of gameplay; I thought it might have been a shmup. Love the detail of the strategic layer and the diegetic/skeuomorphic art.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Is there some reason you aren't firing nukes at strike fleets?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Is there some reason you aren't firing nukes at strike fleets?

If you fire a nuke first, the enemy loads nukes.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So if there's no explicit doomsday timer in the game, what else is pushing you towards your goal rather than letting you sit back and mass troops? Do you start running out of ways to get resources, or do the Gathering eventually close in on your location and wear you down/throw the kitchen sink at you?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fuel is a constant, significant drain your resources and you only have so many foes to attack, which also cost resources. In my second campaign victory I attacked every single town in the game and took all of them and wiped every enemy Tactical and Strike Group out and I barely had the money to do so by the end.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
What stops you from just selling the nukes?

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Civic duty I would think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I've heard it's possible for the Gathering to get spooked and withdraw all their remaining strike groups to guard Khiva. This would obviously immensely complicate the 'decapitation strike' strategy the Prince is relying on.