Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

On a related note, any aircraft you queue for installation are immediately available for launch.

Aircraft in flight are removed from the deck.

This bug was incredibly confusing for me the first time I encountered it, I tried to launch a strike, it said I had two T-7 available, I dispatched them, the number of T-7 I had available did not go down, I kept trying to dispatch them not realizing it was launching the fighters I just installed, ended up sending out 10 planes on a garrison scouting run.

On a related note I beat the campaign and it was not as difficult as I thought it was going to be. Didn't have to reload or retry despite making a few fuckups, including losing both my Lightning groups and having to hail mary* my support assets into a mercenary town where fortuitously there was another Lightning to buy.

*Not really, the trick is to abuse planes, if you wipe a garrison with aircraft then send in a ship it doesn't matter if the ship is unarmed or something you don't want spotted like Sevestapol, the enemy doesn't get a contact report from planes. Great for those stages of the campaign where you just want things to die immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Welp. Making the two buttons look so similar and putting them right next to each other is not the greatest UI design, plus if you don't know what it really does then I think you'd be forgiven for thinking that "retreat" makes the ship in combat, well, retreat. Not insta-die. But still, I get the feeling that the harsh reality of everything suddenly going to poo poo in a heartbeat is what this game's about sometimes. As well as the opposite where four trade fleets conga-line into your gunships like some kind of Benny Hill short.

Any ships you have managed to move to the retreat point in battle will successfully retreat if you press retreat. Any that did not will die. It is definitely unclear.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Veloxyll posted:

He can rename the Zero Sum to th...wait.

Oh well, the Mindful Shaleighleigh at least can be ren...
Which couldn't you have saved if you didn't try to go back in the last time? Since it had left the battlefield via retreat on the last sortie

I don't think he realized that he had left by retreat and not been destroyed

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Putting FCR and R-9s and strat missile tubes on a Skylark turns the tanker into a ship that counters missiles/airstrikes, and is supremely useful at annihilating strike fleets in nuclear war. You keep 400+ km/h speed and 4000+ range too. Best part is you can do this by stripping parts from the Sevestapol so all it costs is dock time.

Feels good when you have a Lightning sitting in the dock for repairs and you would otherwise eat an unexpected missile and lose a raiding fleet.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Carriers launch nearly instantly while paused so you can scramble T-7s in time to intercept missiles or an air strike within visual range. So it's hard to lose the game to missiles and aircraft, as your strategic groups including your flagship can always have interceptors ready. Of course you can get overeager and launch all your T-7s in a strike, but the first time you get punished for that you'll quickly learn to keep some in reserve.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

It looks nice if you imagine the runway is facing towards the camera rather than to the right.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

This escape pod bug in 1.14 is going to make shipbuilding unplayable until it's fixed.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I personally use these designs which are just straight modifications of the Skylark. They don't fit the 700 km/h requirement but you can detach the 700 km/h strike ship. Also just... add more engines. See the final variant for a 700 km/h version.

Skylark Mk2
For missile defense and adding FCR. ELINT range is sacrificed since it's dependent on enemy radar range anyway.

Skylark Mk3
More of a strategic asset, for A-100 strikes while still having missile defense.

Skylark S2
A version of the Mk2 with nearly 700 km/h speed.

I did some experimenting with planes and they're just too heavy for my tastes. Not impossible, but there are too many sacrifices in making a 700 km/h carrier. Though I would take off the FCR and R-9 Sprints if I was wielding T-7s, as A2A missiles serve the same role.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Crazy Achmed posted:

Is that the FCR dangling off the bottom of the ship - surely it'd get smashed off every time you land since the legs can flex quite a lot?
It's the IRST. Putting a sensor on the bottom is the only way to have full coverage with two out of three of them. And if I'm landing my tanker something went very wrong, so to be honest in a full campaign of using the Mk2 it literally never came up.

It's also possible to position the legs lower by changing the angle.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Intrepid, Paladin, and Gladiator are all good candidates for refit to close their coverage gaps, upgun, etc. Intrepid is a bit awkward because it's a small ship so anything you add to it will put you into the expansion spiral where you need more engines, generators, etc. Paladin and Gladiator derivatives give you more room to play. (Jaguars and the Gepard are also basically Gladiators with different armaments)

As for carrier designs... if I'm spending up to 50k on a supercarrier I usually go with one of these designs. Not quite a multi-role but I just love the tanks and runway asymmetry, and the cost is reasonable. Though for efficiency I've yet to beat the pocket carrier that was posted earlier, which in the latest patch with the engine cost increases is just a crumb over 10k. Seems 5k per T-7 is the sweet spot no matter the size.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

You're right that generally it's better to have the bridge buried or at the bottom, even in a noncombat ship. I don't know about Phrosphor but personally I like upper bridges on carriers to evoke that bridge tower feel.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

The AI generally doesn't hunt down the source of air strikes. It may end up chasing planes as radar contacts but will generally not pursue other than nearest city when they lose contact, nor will it missile where they came from. If you want to vector your planes from a different place you can just path them on the dog leg instead of sending out the carrier itself.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Here's a suggested heavy assault ship.

The Rhino

.seria .png

3x D-80 Molot. I vastly prefer the AK-100 for general use but if you plan on mostly flying against strike groups you want 130mm AP. I think 4x guns is overkill but 2x can be underpowered in big battles, 3x is the perfect amount for me.
6x NK-25 engines for in-combat maneuverability. Not quite a Lightning but for a 4000t ship it can dodge quite well, and can lose several engines and keep flying.
Layers both armor and reinforced hull, and sometimes a second layer of armor, without the ugly double-triangle composite armor that's "meta". Should have a similar effect and I've found with 8 engines and 2-3 tiles of ablative I'm often still flying and shooting with half the ship missing. As static engines have to be exposed in 1.14, the ship works best directly below the enemy or 45 degrees below on the shoulders.
4x flare launchers in star pattern. I hate this arrangement and would rather remove launchers from either the top or the bottom, which makes dodging with flares more predictable, but I know Phrosphor prefers the star and it's hardly a cost issue.
4x missiles for demonstration purposes. Suggest to go without to reduce the cost to 39k. To be honest missiles are near-useless. Usually to pick off smaller ships in a bit fight, larger ships resist missiles through prox fuse, 37mm, or sprints.
209 seconds of combat time, but designed for use with a tanker.

e: If you want a radio antenna there are slots at the top.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Apparently the APS (Palash) not refreshing properly for the player was a "bug" so now player's Palash is equal to AI Palash. This is the game-changer for me, covering your mandatory exposed engines with Palash is HUGE.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

There's an even easier way.

1. With the fleet you want to move, set a destination. The fleet will split on the map screen.
2. PAUSE
3. Select the fleet that is staying and SELL any equipment you want to be on the moving fleet.
4. Select the fleet that is moving and BUY any equipment you want on it.

So easy.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

once you're exploiting to that degree just edit the save, it's plaintext

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

The bombs are on the underside and you eat shots there all the drat time even during the bombing period so yeah, it's time but it's time you could pay for very dearly if things go wrong. To be completely honest I would never mount bombs to get extra time on ground as I prefer to fight ships while they're in the air and aren't shooting up my engine skirts.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

the part I'm most short on in the hidden cities are basic hull parts, I always end up importing like 400+

imagining a full battleship of hull strapped to the side of a skylark or mockingbird for delivery is amusing

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

The part that's going to make things difficult isn't the event itself or having the full fleet in the air, but that the call went out while trying to full fuel the fleet (equivalent of a map flag). That will not only have the strike fleet investigating and possibly sending missiles, but also the aircraft carrier group will launch scouts and a strike at this range. When he landed he still had the fuel to immediately launch both Audacity groups at the weaker cities in the region, the unnamed intel to the north and Zephri. Aircraft carrier groups don't run ops unless they know you're out there so there was a short window where he could have sudden striked both cities and would have fallback positions if his location gets leaked.

He still has the fuel to detach forces but since the enemies have his location it will be more difficult to escape strategic weapons with detached groups.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I've found the fan wiki article to be perfectly accurate:
https://highfleet.fandom.com/wiki/Alarms
How far a fleet will react depends on their fuel status. Carriers won't move but are basically 2000km zones of airstrike problems. Everything else will go for you if they have the fuel to.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Pretty sure you can get out of this no problem. Don't need a hidden city, just full fuel and pick a patch of desert to camp in to run down the timer. As long as it's out of enemy radar range as they move in you'll be fine. Your ELINT detections are actually a lot farther than you were searching, your picket was sitting ~800km from Eridu and ~500km from the flight route Eridu-Jaffa, if they were on that route you'd be seeing Danger Close rather than a mere ELINT 2. Also if those were missiles and not planes, they launched from max range of 1500km, which gives another idea of the potential distance. On the downside it feels like 3 strike fleets, since Granit was never detected by the northern ELINT picket. Plane scouting may be easier than scouting with a jammer ship as it won't cause the enemies to re-route.

Also the Screamer got caught because it started to land.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Crazy Achmed posted:

:rip:

What's the plan now? buy some more ships? Look for more planes?

Looks like the reports of that fleet's death were greatly exaggerated.

Feels like he needs to hit a rare modules city for planes, and also probably a Tarkhan or trade fleet for a payday. Or even a fleet HQ, since that will be about 16k in nukes. Rebuilding a new attack ship basically needs to be done in a hidden city and would take 60+ hours, by which time the rest of the fleet could be most of the way to Khiva, so I'm not convinced on viability, but the game does allow you to hang out there for the whole time so it's possible just to fast forward an entire ship build

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Crazy Achmed posted:

Hang on, how was Khiva so lightly defended? And only one endgame nuclear strike group? Is this some kind of escalation mechanic where gathering forces get bigger if you take longer / build a larger force yourself?
Using a swarm of A-100N-equipped howlers not only to locate and blow up strike fleets, but also to catch incoming nukes, is brutal but effective.

There were two nuke carriers at first, just he nuked the missiles off of one so it was recategorized as a normal strike group.
Khiva garrison being small isn't unusual.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

What a loving twist in the latest YT episode. Probably the nastiest situation I've ever seen the game throw at someone.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 10, 2022

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Crazy Achmed posted:

That actually seems quite odd, just because it feels hacky for the game to be programmed to choose the warhead type after it's launched rather than having the AI pick it beforehand. It's really out of keeping with how detailed and grognardy the game is.

Anyway well poo poo. At least we have a million ships, what do we do now? Split stuff up and send it out towards the spawn points looking for the ICBM fleets?

If the game didn't break the rules on warhead types the player could trigger nuclear war and the AI would have to refit all its ships into nukes in reaction. The only janky part is how the warhead is picked dependent on game state on impact, rather than on launch, but in 9999 out of 10000 cases it wouldn't matter.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Phrosphor posted:

My original plan was to go for a roleplay heavy military procurement exercise where 'Crazy Emperor Sayedi' mandated ridiculous requirements like 'This frigate needs a flag bridge with good elevation to see for miles' or 'we have excess D-80 Molots. All ships must mount 8'.

It looks like the community is more cutthroat however and they want to punish me for my Audacity.

I will post here when the procurement starts, which should be very soon, just in case anyone is interested in submitting and I will post the results too.

8x D-80 Molots is terrifying

It's not the combat ships you should be scared of though. Custom strategic strike ships will gently caress you up. Imagine missile and air groups with proper sensors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I don't know if the game will use strategic missiles or planes on convoy freighters but I'm going to install the mod and find out.

e: Jesus loving christ it's terrifying. It's basically a roaming aircraft carrier that seeks and destroys you like a missile group does.

e2: and then when you catch it, it shoots missiles at you and flees

e3: all that trouble for this thing

One weird thing you can do is fly its planes off and then sell the ship and fly the planes onto one of your carriers. I guess that makes some sense but isn't normal behavior.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 27, 2022