Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Hello!
We tried it last year but then the site almost exploded. This summer, it's finally happening- the passaround playthrough of Deus Ex.

How it Works:
The first goon plays liberty island, leaves themselves in the dumbest possible setup, and emails the save to the next goon. That goon then plays a level, leaves themselves in a dumb setup, and emails it on. Gimmicks not required but highly encouraged. If you know a good bit of hidden stuff for a level, by all means show it off!

What format is this in?
Whichever format works for you! Video, screenshot, IDGAF!

How do I pick a level?
Just say so! There's probably more levels than goons so if one is sitting empty feel free to take two

I want to do a gimmick, but it requires an aug or item the last goon(s) skipped over? What do?
In this case, cheating is ok. But that aug was likely picked because it's amazingly dogshit, so be sure to revert before you send off your save.

The levels picked so far:
3.1 Liberty Island, New York City-Jojoinit
3.2 UNATCO HQ, New York City-Ugly In The Morning
3.3 Battery Park, New York City-Lemon-Lime
3.4 Hell's Kitchen, New York City- MysticalMachineGun
3.5 UNATCO HQ, New York City-Butterwagon
3.6 Battery Park, New York City
3.7 UNATCO HQ, New York City
3.8 Hell's Kitchen, New York City- Butterwagon
3.9 Location Unknown
3.10 Secret MJ12 Base, Hong Kong
3.11 Wan Chai Market, Hong Kong -Butterfly Valley
3.12 VersaLife Laboratory, Hong Kong- Grand Fromage
3.13 Hell's Kitchen, New York City
3.14 Brooklyn Naval Shipyards, New York City-Humbug Scoolbus
3.15 Lower East Side Cemetary, New York City
3.16 Denfert-Rochereau, Paris-Grand Fromage
3.17 Chateau DuClare, Outside Paris-Xander77
3.18 Knights Templar Cathedral, Paris- Vavrek
3.19 Morgan Everett's Home
3.20 Vandenberg Airforce Base- aniviron
3.21 Abandoned Gas Station, Central California -Danger - Octopus!
3.22 MJ12 Sub Base, SoCal Sea Wall -Gaius Marius
3.23 MJ12 Ocean Lab, Oceanic Floor- Butterfly Valley
3.24 New West Coast, Missile Silo xxx
3.25 Area 51, Rachel Nevada
3.26 Area 51 Bunker Sector 2, Rachel Nevada
3.27 Area 51 Bunker Sector 3, Rachel Nevada

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Okay, Liberty Island is a wrap!

I had a hell of a time getting any captures to work and couldn't do screenshots instead as I had no time to pause due to my playstyle.

GeForce Game Capture wouldn't recognise it as a supported game (this was the Steam version).

FRAPS limits captures to 30 seconds unless you purchase the full version. I instead brought up the Windows Game Bar and hit the hotkeys to begin recording and assumed it worked. Sadly the folder was empty when I checked after. :(

I may try to recreate it if we do a compilation video of this but long story short: I avoided talking to Paul, let him chase me to the back of the statue (slaughtering everyone in the way so I kept my augmented hands clean)and only fired my gun once, to take down that terrorist bastard Leo Gold before he had a chance to open his lying mouth. I actually did that so quick that Alex's "tut-tut" message that ends hostilities for the AI didn't kick in fast enough and NSF were still alive and hostile for half the way down. My crowning achievement though was avoiding the conversation with Paul on the way in to UNATCO at the end of the level. I simply hopped to the right then forwards and got around him. I hope the game somehow acknowledges that he and I haven't shared a single word this entire time. :allears:

E: the more I think about it the more peeved I am at not having the recording because while I only fired my gun once you better believe I tossed some TNT at dangerously close range, ran through gas mines to set them off, and played chicken with some electricity while carrying a corpse. :(

E2: Spent some time trying to get recording working, right down to manual registry tweaks, but it's either an issue with my laptop or DX is too old to be recognised as a game by it somehow. I did however manage to find one set of screenshots when I was accidentally hitting my light on and off which is also the default screenshot button.

Please enjoy Pacifist Paul mowing down the NSF for me:

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 31, 2021

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

I actually did that so quick that Alex's "tut-tut" message that ends hostilities for the AI didn't kick in fast enough and NSF were still alive and hostile for half the way down.

So what happened when that finally kicked in? Did all the NSF just drop dead instantly?

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
Did you do the untrained pistol exploit to start the game?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Nostalgamus posted:

So what happened when that finally kicked in? Did all the NSF just drop dead instantly?

Actually, yes, although I didn't get to see them fall. There's two flights of stairs between the two NSF and the ground floor and between them the message finished and every subsequent NSF was a dead body.

I think I have a quicksave for just before the end, so I'll try and leave via the roof too see how it actually handles the change in state in real time.

Butterwagon posted:

Did you do the untrained pistol exploit to start the game?
I have the GOTY edition which I'm 99% certain patched that out. I actually didn't choose any skills and I definitely forgot the aug in the statue as I had a real world time limit before I couldn't participate. This run was all about being the bait for Paul to mow them down as he chased me to try to have the initial convo. I picked nothing up, tossed a knife uselessly, lost a leg to tnt (got the guy though), solved a gas mine issue by detonating it, and only fired the single shot for that terrorist bastard Leo Gold.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 23, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Untrained pistol still works in GOTY.

As far as the aug goes I’m going next and I’ll just cheat myself the worst choice for that first aug canister in the spirit of setting the character up terribly.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Untrained pistol still works in GOTY.

As far as the aug goes I’m going next and I’ll just cheat myself the worst choice for that first aug canister in the spirit of setting the character up terribly.

I'm going to hate you, but it's okay - my plans for dealing with the subway hostages involve tossing a LAM down the stairs and walking away dramatically. :getin:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The gently caress, awful app. Wrong thread

But yeah, psycho JC is absolutely the way to go. Who’s gonna end up with the Ton hostage situation? That sounds like a place for a flamethrower if you can get one.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

I actually didn't choose any skills

Sounds like a missed opportunity to invest in swimming

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Butterwagon posted:

Sounds like a missed opportunity to invest in swimming

Oh don’t worry, this will be corrected.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
If I still had this game, I'd gladly participate. Can't think of anything dumber than starting the final level with no items and zero bioenergy, but I'm sure someone can top that.

I will be watching. Good luck, people.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

But yeah, psycho JC is absolutely the way to go. Who’s gonna end up with the Ton hostage situation? That sounds like a place for a flamethrower if you can get one.

Most players' ethical inflexibility at the gas station will allow us to make progress in areas they refuse to consider.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

achtungnight posted:

If I still had this game, I'd gladly participate. Can't think of anything dumber than starting the final level with no items and zero bioenergy, but I'm sure someone can top that.

I will be watching. Good luck, people.

It's 97¢ on GOG right now.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Augh, is that underpriced. I'll think about it and get back to you if I decide on yes. May be too hard to decide what level I want. Or to find time to play and record, or to develop skill at the latter. :(

Regardless of my excuse, good luck. those who play.

Two suggestions (both these levels are already taken, and these are just crazy ideas)-

1. You can make JC a child killer if you want. There is dialogue in the game script that hints the player killing that annoying kid Louis Pan in Wan Chai Market is possible. Gordon Quick is at least annoyed if you do kill him. Though I've never actually done it myself.

2. My first playthru of this game, I missed the "no weapons allowed" sign at the entrance to the Underworld Bar in Hell's Kitchen the first time I walked in there. I had my gun out. The bartender immediately drew a shotgun and fired at me- I shot back and ended up in a shootout where I murdered almost everyone in the bar, including the bartender (Jordan Shea). Don't know what effect this has on the rest of the game- I'm pretty sure Jock is invincible and he killed me, I never repeated the error of having a gun out when I walked in the bar- but if a better player can find out... Perhaps by escaping the bar after killing Jordan?

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 24, 2021

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Trained swimming is cheap and worth it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

brap posted:

Trained swimming is cheap and worth it.

Which is why I don’t plan to stop at trained. :getin:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Which is why I don’t plan to stop at trained. :getin:

I actually had planned to throw everything it when I thought my gimmick would be swimming liberty Island, but those loving invisible seawalls that President Reed put up after the statue bombing kiboshed that. :sigh:

Plus, my JC don't need no skills or augs. He just needs his big brother. :getin:

Can't wait to see where you guys take this!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I guess I'll take location unknown

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

aniviron posted:

Most players' ethical inflexibility at the gas station will allow us to make progress in areas they refuse to consider.

I called the gas station and can pre-emptively report that I don't think I've ever saved Tiffany, and am unlikely to start now... My ethics are not augmented.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I called the gas station and can pre-emptively report that I don't think I've ever saved Tiffany, and am unlikely to start now... My ethics are not augmented.

Took my like 6 quick saves but I got there in the end last time I did it, last week.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My goal is to do the UNATCO level on Sunday. Wanted to do it this weekend but forums drama ate most of yesterday’s leisure time. The curse of this blue star.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

The curse of this blue star.

WHAT A SHAME

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Oh my God JC, a star!

A star?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

You mods might have copper wiring to manage the forums but I've got shitposts of steel :awesomelon:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Hellova first day.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

I just tested the save jojoinnit put on dropbox on Linux with both a vanilla steam install and with Kentie's launcher. Seems to work fine.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

3.12 VersaLife Laboratory, Hong Kong
3.16 Denfert-Rochereau, Paris

I'd take either (both?) of these if they remain unclaimed. My playtime is augmented.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

I'd take either (both?) of these if they remain unclaimed. My playtime is augmented.

Updated the level list. I highly encourage people to take some more levels so we can get them all checked off, just don’t take two in a row (since, you know, passaround)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

3.23 MJ12 Ocean Lab, Oceanic Floor

I'll take this then and look forward to fighting Simons with a fire extinguisher and a pack of cigarettes

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'll take Chateau DuClaire.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Xander77 posted:

I'll take Chateau DuClaire.

Are you getting Nicolette to AI bash through the doors for you? that's always my favorite part.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Updated the level list. I highly encourage people to take some more levels so we can get them all checked off, just don’t take two in a row (since, you know, passaround)

I'll pick up this one then:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I guess I'll take location unknown

:colbert:

I can do

3.9 Location Unknown
3.25 Area 51, Rachel Nevada

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

I can grab the Unatco visit before the mole people too

3.5 UNATCO HQ, New York City- Butterwagon
3.8 Hell's Kitchen, New York City- Butterwagon

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Any news on that post-UNATCO-HQ save, Ugly? :v:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I think I'll have time for another short level so I'll grab this as well since I haven't played it in literally years. Plus it'll balance out my contributions, with one level I can gimmick to the end of the earth and one I'll have to improvise on just to survive.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

I think I'll have time for another short level so I'll grab this as well since I haven't played it in literally years. Plus it'll balance out my contributions, with one level I can gimmick to the end of the earth and one I'll have to improvise on just to survive.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'll pick up this one then:

:mad:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Meet me at Duelers Corner, we draw GEP guns at dawn.

I was going off UITM's OP, not noticing it hasn't been updated for a few days. Sorry buddy, I'll pick another.

E: Looks like we've crossed off everything bar the finale? That's pretty good. If I've missed one in the middle feel free to toss it to me, otherwise I'll take a section of Area 51 but tentatively, since depending on the schedule when we get there I may simply not have the time (and hopefully more people will drop in on this so we have less repeat goons).

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 31, 2021

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

jojoinnit posted:

E: Looks like we've crossed off everything bar the finale? That's pretty good. If I've missed one in the middle feel free to toss it to me, otherwise I'll take a section of Area 51 but tentatively, since depending on the schedule when we get there I may simply not have the time (and hopefully more people will drop in on this so we have less repeat goons).

It would be very funny for you to do both Liberty Island and Area 51, really. Something about living with the compounded consequences of a million terrible decisions. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lemon-Lime posted:

Any news on that post-UNATCO-HQ save, Ugly? :v:

It’s almost done, just taking a little longer than I thought. Should be up tonight!