Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Wandered into a random take away and ordered some fries n onion rings. Guy behind the counter proceeds to have a meltdown because he's out of onion rings.
To compensate me for this great embarrassment he offers SCALLOPS, free of charge! I don't care, give me my food in the most convenient way mentally unstable fast food worker.

Wait....what is this poo poo?

This looks like the entrails of thousands of clams and star fish dredged from the depths of the local estuary.
It tastes like raw sewage.
Do people actually eat this crap?

e:typo

The Real Amethyst fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I dunno what they gave you op but if it were actual scallops the thread would be titled "wow scallops are awesome!" instead

kinda looks like fried scalloped potatoes

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah those ain't scallops.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
op what kind of restaurant was this in what country

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Doesn't look like any kind of scallop I have ever seen cooked.

Looks like really flattened bad pierogis.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Scallops potato

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Fartington Butts posted:

Yeah those ain't scallops.

I've been duped!

Aardvark! posted:

op what kind of restaurant was this in what country

It was a traditional chip-shop style place, in Ireland. The staff appeared to be speaking Russian.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Yeah, scallops look like a stylish clam shell-wise, but have a completely different shape, taste and texture. They're like perfect little cylinders of white shellfish meat.

As with most things, deep frying them is a good idea but the only way I didn't like them was raw. Best ones are the big sea scallops where you get less than a dozen per pound.

At worst they just don't have any strong flavors to potentially offend anybody beyond "is a kind of seafood."

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
a scallop is a shrimp that dreamed to be a marshmallow

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The big sea scallops are the best because you can get a great sear on them without overcooking it (like calamari, they turn to rubber)

Bay scallops aren't worth the time imo.

Also,

Nikumatic posted:

a scallop is a shrimp that dreamed to be a marshmallow

----------------

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, scallops look like a stylish clam shell-wise, but have a completely different shape, taste and texture. They're like perfect little cylinders of white shellfish meat.

As with most things, deep frying them is a good idea but the only way I didn't like them was raw. Best ones are the big sea scallops where you get less than a dozen per pound.

At worst they just don't have any strong flavors to potentially offend anybody beyond "is a kind of seafood."

The part of a scallop that you buy at a grocery store or restaurant and eat is not the entire creature. It is just the adductor muscle that opens/closes the shell. It's the same as how you don't eat a whole entire shrimp*, you just eat the tail meat. Because that's the part that tastes really good and has a wonderful texture if you don't butcher the cooking process. Scallops while alive look a lot like clams or mussels, but we don't cook/eat them them the same way as clams/mussels.

*there are some cases where you do eat the entire shrimp except maybe part of the exoskeleton and I love thos but when you think of "shrimp as a food" in a vacuum your mind probably goes to shrimp tail meat

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Cleaning full shrimp is such a pain in the dick when you're just trying to cram seafood wholesale into your gob.

----------------

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Cleaning full shrimp is such a pain in the dick when you're just trying to cram seafood wholesale into your gob.

I feel the same way about eating crab. Too much drat work for so little payoff.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

that's a potato scallop, OP, and it's a necessary item on any fish and chipper's menu. you may also know them as a potato cake if you are wrong and bad

I don't know why you would find it tasting like sea at all, maybe the chipper's fryer was dirty oil idk. They are unrelated to sea scallops either way (which also taste good and not like sea)

I recently had sea scallops with homemade XO sauce and daikon ribbon at a restaurant and it was the loving bomb

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 24, 2021

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Zil posted:

I feel the same way about eating crab. Too much drat work for so little payoff.

Get king crab

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I wish king crab was affordable, buying enough to gorge yourself is like a hundred fuckin bucks.

----------------

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

Nam Taf posted:

that's a potato scallop, OP, and it's a necessary item on any fish and chipper's menu. you may also know them as a potato cake if you are wrong and bad

I don't know why you would find it tasting like sea at all, maybe the chipper's fryer was dirty oil idk. They are unrelated to sea scallops either way (which also taste good and not like sea)

I recently had sea scallops with homemade XO sauce and daikon ribbon at a restaurant and it was the loving bomb

Okay so that what it was. Makes sense.
But yes, the chipper was loving filthy in general. I picked a random one and got unlucky I guess.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My take from TV is that it only takes like 30 seconds to cook a scallop so there's no reason I can't get a scallop whopper.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Rick posted:

My take from TV is that it only takes like 30 seconds to cook a scallop so there's no reason I can't get a scallop whopper.

Because that poo poo would be $60

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Fartington Butts posted:

A scallop as wide as a whopper patty... has science gone too far?!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Fartington Butts posted:

That's fine.

They could make a scallop machine like they have a whopper machine. Drop frozen scallops on a conveyor belt and 30 seconds later, bing, flame broiled scallop. You could probably even make the machine squirt butter all over it.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

aceface
Dec 27, 2017

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
you been bamboozled m8

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Also there's no way a chippy would be giving away actual scallops for free.

Unless they were bad scallops and he wanted to kill you.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

aceface posted:

you been bamboozled m8

I fuckin know!

Dell_Zincht posted:

Also there's no way a chippy would be giving away actual scallops for free.

Unless they were bad scallops and he wanted to kill you.

I was high as heck, the guys behind the counter were arguing with each other, he was having what looked like a mental breakdown, the place was extremely unhygienic. I was pretty apathetic and just wanted food and didn't want to make the poor guys life even worse than it already was.
Will never return though.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

This is what a scallop SHOULD look like:

They should taste like a cross between whitefish and shrimp.

I think what you got was a 'scalloped potato', (to scallop something means to cut in an ovular shape) that was deepfried in old oil that was used for other seafood.
It is also NOT what traditional 'scalloped potatoes', the dish, or casserole is, which is 'scalloped potatoes (the aforementioned cut into oval shaped slices) layered on another, which have bechemel sauce and ham and camembert cheese between the layers, which is then baked until golden brown.

I would say, basically, you got straight dicked, op.

----------------

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 6, 2021

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"you just fell for the oldest trick in the book, buddy! the old scallop switcheroo! hyuk hyuk hyuk! see ya sucker!"

----------------

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

"you just fell for the oldest trick in the book, buddy! the old scallop switcheroo! hyuk hyuk hyuk! see ya sucker!"

If you happen to see five of those on the seabed make sure you get the red coins out of each one before running out of breath.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

sean10mm posted:

the only way I didn't like them was raw.

Find a better sushi joint, good raw scallop will make you a little sad when you think what could have been when you see a cooked scallop.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
The utter lack of understanding of a potato scallop (or scollop) in this thread hurts my heart.

Now I want a scollop butty...

Nam Taf posted:

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

uber_stoat posted:

Fun fact! Those little blue dots are the scallop's eyes.

It has so many eyes. It can see you. It knows what you did. Your mere vertebrate existence disgusts the scallop. It wishes it had no eyes; that it could not see you ever again. Disgusting.

:backtowork:

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

Nam Taf posted:

you may also know them as a potato cake if you are wrong and bad

Actually if you call them potato cakes you are right and also good

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021
Mmm scalloping potatoes! I mostly know them by their boxed/dehydrated potato variety.

Edited for poe tay toes

BounceBanana fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 14, 2021

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

So far you have further convinced me to never eat actual scallops. Literally scooped up mystery shell meat with multiple blue eyes and probably shits out their mouth, dredged from the local sewage filled estuary.

:barf:

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

The Real Amethyst posted:

mystery shell meat with multiple blue eyes and probably shits out their mouth, dredged from the local sewage filled estuary.

don't sign you're posts

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

wtf I LOVE scallops now! (potato version)

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

have you eaten real scallops yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn8KfYOOEuc

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Those don’t look very appetizing. I only know scalloped potatoes as a dish served with like, cream and cheese and stuff. I’ve literally never seen a preparation like that before.

The actual seafood scallop can be tasty when it’s fresh, it’s got a very rich and buttery flavor. They’re exceptionally good wrapped in bacon or prosciutto.

----------------

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Epic bacon

----------------

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

Epic bacon

*me making jerking off motion toward host offering rumaki* lol check out Muscles Glasses over here :smug:

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Thread redemption story.