Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Caidin posted:

Everything about this game is so fantastic, and i'm only up to the bit where the game hub really opens up it looks like. Though for those in the know, I bought the shiny rainbow punches pin and Raz's mits are still the same big orange lantern things they always were. Did I misunderstand that or something?

Did you equip the pin? You only have 3 slots for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
It's hard to describe but I don't think I've felt this kind of pure joy playing a video game in ages. Everything about Psychonauts 2 is just so incredibly delightful.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

adhuin posted:

Did you equip the pin? You only have 3 slots for them.

Yep nope, that was it. Wished I'd noticed sooner. Had to move off the Zilch dance to make room.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Only made it to the Motherlobe and got through "meet and greet" with the other interns, which... did not go the way I expected. But then neither did the game intro.

Game is super promising so far. Still can't believe this sequel exists.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ErrEff posted:

Only made it to the Motherlobe and got through "meet and greet" with the other interns, which... did not go the way I expected. But then neither did the game intro.

Game is super promising so far. Still can't believe this sequel exists.

I was wondering (very minor spoilers for that section) if you can use clairvoyance to listen in Milla and Lili? I got past that section before I got the idea to use it.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

that poor lady in love with the dude who only thinks about bacon)

He's just hungry, check back with them after the cafe opens.

General non-spoilery tip: it doesn't feel important early on, but despite the dearth of currency, it's still a good idea to keep a dream fluff and full stock of those healing pops on-hand. Maybe I'm just getting old, but at least one boss fight I went through was rough.

adhuin posted:

Is there a way to get the Raz not to spoil answers within mental connection puzzles?

I want to test out all the stupid answers first, dammit.

I actually like that he does this, for the reason you stated - I want to hit the connection that continues the story last. Otherwise how will I ever find out how characters really feel about wearing socks with open-toed shoes?

Last night I was up until after 8 A.M. playing this. Just some advice: at some point there'll be a significant 3-part task in the storyline. At least one of those parts will be fairly quick. Another part will ultimately require going through a whole other giant brain level that's much larger than the previous ones, but amazing and compelling enough to keep you playing WAY past your bedtime. Be warned, don't go thinking you'll be able to knock this task out quick. I finally went to bed with the third part unstarted.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 25, 2021

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Holy poo poo I just found out about this. Downloading it now. I've got one day before the semester starts so I'll be marathoning this until I pass out.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Well, this game has received the highest possible acclaim I've ever seen in a Steam review.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I've just come up for air after a few hours, and so far it's been a blast. The minds I've seen so far have been varied and imaginatively designed, the platforming is satisfingly tight without requiring a punishing amount of precision. It is very much a worthy sequel to the original.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I had what I think was an emergent situation in the first level, where Oleander is grossed out by the teeth zipper door, and as soon as the cutscene ended Raz said "Sounds like there's some emotional baggage around here." I thought "Ha, you tell 'em Raz. ...Wait, emotional baggage is a gameplay mechanic, they must be introducing it in this room."

They kind of blew their story wad too soon, because as soon as I got halfway into the initial foray into Ford Cruller's mind I put the pieces together. Now I'm gonna have to sit through at least one cutscene of Raz acting shocked at information I already have. This is moderately entertaining if it's information the viewer learned through third person omniscience, less so if the character was there when it was revealed and didn't put the pieces together.

Aside from that, a small bug where Sasha's interrogation of Loboto kept popping up subtitles halfway across the Motherlobe, and the tiny problem I have with Raz eating poo poo on long falls (He's an acrobat, he should know how to fall and have several cool flips and rolls he does. Well, maybe that's an unlockable from his family, I haven't interacted with them yet), game owns.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Just finished the introduction mission and providing the game keeps this level of quality it's gonna be something special. The environmental design is incredible to the point that you're missing out on so much cool stuff if you don't look around.

The way the an office desk slowly transforms into a tongue leading to the uvula was the first thing that made me go "okay I gotta start paying attention here". Character design and animation is adorable and expressive as always. I also appreciate the extra assist options like no fall damage, easier combat and even invincibility - while they're no use to me it's so nice to see them include the options so everyone can enjoy the game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fun fact: You can turn fall damage off in the accessibility menu.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

So how is this with keyboard and mouse? Better or the same as the first game?

The first games boss battles could be pretty infuriating without a stick for movement. But I've made it 34 years without a gamepad, I'll be damned if I have to buy one now. :corsair:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

First thing i did, like hell am I going to die to fall damage when Raz has a Blade landing attack

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SirSamVimes posted:

Oh, I did that, he just still falls down when he lands. And they changed his air melee to only really work out of a single jump instead of the full-height ground pound it was in 1. Until I got used to that, I was jumping off platforms, dashing downward maybe four feet, then eating poo poo fifteen feet below.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Does anyone here miss the Psi Shield, Invisibility and Confusion Grenade powers from the first game?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Should I dust off the Index and play Rhombus of Ruin before I get this one? I played the original ten years ago but don't remember too much except the bare outline of the plot.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Should I dust off the Index and play Rhombus of Ruin before I get this one? I played the original ten years ago but don't remember too much except the bare outline of the plot.

The first level takes place right at the end of Rhombus of Ruin, and RoR takes place right at the end of Psychonauts. I thought it was worth it

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

If you don't skip the stuff before the main menu screen there's a whole recap of the previous games.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's so nice to see what Double Fine can do with a budget and time after 12 years of putting out smaller, hit-and-miss games. (Obviously Broken Age had a shitload of money and time but that was a different beast).

Maybe now they're in Microsoft they'll have more opportunities to do stuff like this (jk they'll be closed or forced to work on Fable within a few years).

stev fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 25, 2021

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If you don't have a VR device, it seems like a full playthrough of Rhombus is about an hour long and there's a bunch of them on Youtube.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

sirtommygunn posted:

If you don't skip the stuff before the main menu screen there's a whole recap of the previous games.

There's a basic recap, but I replayed the first one & watched a RoR longplay just before release, and I'm glad I did if only to understand why Oleander is carrying around a fish tail.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Toss me a link to one of those LPs!

IUG posted:

One thing I did see suggested though is that if you haven't/can't play Rhombus of Ruin, get a no-commentary LP of it. Does anyone have one that's good and not nauseating (thanks to the VR)? I can stick that in the OP for people who want to catch up on that (myself included).

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Been playing up to when the greater outdoor area unlocks, game is good so far. Game is very good so far. It hits all the notes that trick you into believing this is exactly what the original game was like, even though this is better on every single technical point of execution. It has its minor issues here and there (mostly pacing-related), but I am having a hecking good time.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

When I reached the brain tumbler, I was like "uhh.... that is a lot of doors." If each one of those is as big and as wild as Hollis' mind then this game is going to be massive.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Junpei posted:

Does anyone here miss the Psi Shield, Invisibility and Confusion Grenade powers from the first game?

Honestly no. Like, once I stopped playing last night I realized there were some PN1 powers I hadn't gotten in the tutorial and my power menu should probably have been more full, but I couldn't even remember what powers they were supposed to be.

They were extremely niche and the defensive portion of Psi Shield is covered by Raz just having a dodge roll now.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
One major thing that I'm really feeling in this version is that there is a lot, like a lot, more direct character agency from Raz. The first game was very much a reactive experience where Raz was more or less along for the ride, doing Hero Stuff mostly because Hero Stuff was the only way to move forward, accidentally kicking people's mental illnesses down because that was the only way to get them to hand over Adventure Game Item #2. This one starts with Raz deliberately, and for his own reasons, rewiring someone's mind so that he can come along on an adventure, which as a side effect causes them to relapse into a loving brutal gambling addiction, and then making an actual decision to fix the damage he just caused by rewiring her mind again but this time in a healthy way. I haven't finished the level yet but if the rest of them have the same level of rabbit holes and side paths and really weird sections then this game's a masterpiece. The thought connection power is loving brilliant- it's really pushing more into the "Psychonauts are actually inside actual peoples' actual brains" aspect that the first game sort of danced around and only occasionally really nailed.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I have to confess that I wasn't 100 percent totally onboard during the cold open tutorial, as crazy as it was. It just seemed like the humor wasn't landing or something... probably just my sky high expectations. But everything starting with the Motherlobe has been amazing and I've barely scratched the surface. Can not wait to get home and jump back in.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Somfin posted:

One major thing that I'm really feeling in this version is that there is a lot, like a lot, more direct character agency from Raz. The first game was very much a reactive experience where Raz was more or less along for the ride, doing Hero Stuff mostly because Hero Stuff was the only way to move forward, accidentally kicking people's mental illnesses down because that was the only way to get them to hand over Adventure Game Item #2. This one starts with Raz deliberately, and for his own reasons, rewiring someone's mind so that he can come along on an adventure, which as a side effect causes them to relapse into a loving brutal gambling addiction, and then making an actual decision to fix the damage he just caused by rewiring her mind again but this time in a healthy way. I haven't finished the level yet but if the rest of them have the same level of rabbit holes and side paths and really weird sections then this game's a masterpiece. The thought connection power is loving brilliant- it's really pushing more into the "Psychonauts are actually inside actual peoples' actual brains" aspect that the first game sort of danced around and only occasionally really nailed.

Yeah I really love the fact that this game seems to be using the fact that we're delving into people's minds as something more than just an excuse to have crazy weird mindscape levels. Also that level you are talking about is insanely good for a first level.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Just did the first hairdresser level and my god, I just love it more and more as I go along. I wonder if it can keep it up.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

And the music in questionable area. ALL the music around questionable area. A++ soundtrack.

Who else remembers iMUSE fondly? Double Fine remembers.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 26, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh god the Questionable Area completely blindsided me what the joke was and it was so good

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The Questionable Area is great and I really appreciate they gave you one big chuck of the woods to platform around in, really bring back that Camp Whispering Rock vibe.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I have to confess, I never did 100% all the figments and vaults and all that stuff in the first game. But I really do feel compelled to 100% every level in this game and I've only visited two minds so far. It's so good, it's more Psychonauts.

You could even say it's like if Psychonauts had a sequel.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

gonna Nth that this game is amazing and good. So much about it is just so good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Can anyone confirm my suspicion because its been so long I played the first one The order of platforming challenges in the Aquanatodome is the same order of challenges in Meat Circus in the first game

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

A direct sequel 15 years later that so far has been the same off the wall bag of fun as the first.
I keep thinking im dreaming because i never thought id get to see the day this game actually happened and it's wonderful!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Sentinel posted:

A direct sequel 15 years later that so far has been the same off the wall bag of fun as the first.
I keep thinking im dreaming because i never thought id get to see the day this game actually happened and it's wonderful!

It's just a loving joyful game.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
what color Levitation ball did you nab for free from the first Otto-matic?

I got blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Junpei posted:

what color Levitation ball did you nab for free from the first Otto-matic?

I got blue.

:same: