Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Sway Grunt posted:

Green Needle Gulch.

I doubt it's the case but I would love if this area got its name because of that clip where you can't tell if the kid's toy is saying Green Needle or Brain Storm, considering the antagonist and their mind powers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah the outside was great, but also kind of lonely once you got into everywhere. I really liked the game regardless. Some really cool levels and obviously the story and voice stuff was top tier.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

davidspackage posted:

I really wish it didn't lock you out of the starting area once it's nightfall.

Especially frustrating because it meant you can't complete everything until the postgame. Including the drat scavenger hunt, which is required to change your clothes. Hitting max rank means there's literally nothing else to do so the power you get is pointless.. and odd since they resolved that problem in the first game 20 years ago by making the final reward a cutscene instead.

Still an amazing game everybody should play though. For everything it does worse than the first one, it does something else better.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

frogbs posted:

I also wonder...why did they film all this and release it? Surely that made the development process much harder with cameras around all the time?

in case you wanted to hear a tiny bit about it from the horse's mouth https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2023-03-17/game-studio-double-fine-films-itself-for-psychonauts-2-providing-rare-peek

Bloomberg posted:

For Double Fine founder and boss Tim Schafer, who has allowed cameras to film nearly every meeting in his studio since 2012, there was no shame in showing some of those uglier moments to normalize the messiness of game development. One of his goals, Schafer said in an interview, was to “let people imagine themselves working in the games industry.” Another was to make people empathize with how difficult it is.

“If a game is 97% good and people complain about the last 3%, they don’t realize how amazing it was that 97% of that got done,” Schafer said.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
i remember him wanting to do that with early kickstarter projects but i didnt realize its something they had been keeping up with ever since

thats actually pretty amazing

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
Anyone else get that usb with the game on it from the Fig campaign? What the hell? It's a shoe box that contains an altoid box that contains a tiny usb. Very odd.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know what you mean by a shoebox. Mine came in a pretty small shipping box. Overall I'm pretty happy with my backer swag:

I got the Raz figure ages ago, before the game was out. The rest came last Friday.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
For some reason mine had that small box in your picture inside of a Pyschonauts branded box that's literally the size of a shoe box.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That sounds like the container box for the collector's edition, which has other goodies and stickers and posters as well as the console disc/PC USB fob. Maybe they had some extra and used them to ship some smaller things too.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Qylvaran posted:

I don't know what you mean by a shoebox. Mine came in a pretty small shipping box. Overall I'm pretty happy with my backer swag:

I got the Raz figure ages ago, before the game was out. The rest came last Friday.

I'm generally not much for swag, but that figurine is cool as poo poo.

Also the key-fob.

And the badge (or would pin be the correct term?).

Just totally on-point, but not over-stated.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
the badge is the perfect thing for this game

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
Fangamer has been emailing me the past several years to update my address but I don't even remember what level or gifts pledged for

apparently I got a figurine and shirt, hope whoever's at my old address likes them

in the meanwhile I had independently ordered this shirt from Fangamer and that's plenty enough psychonaut merch for this phase of my life

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I was afraid I was going to necro this thread. Glad that it's a month since the last post and not 2 years.

I'm finally clearing through this in my backlog. I really don't have much to say that hasn't already been said. I'm in the 3rd Hub Area. The way I did the levels was amazing. It went from the absolutely incredible visuals of psychic woodstock (I kind-of wish the rest of the game had this oversaturated color) to some honestly pretty dark stuff. The next big level I did was Bob's Bottles, and holy poo poo. Some of that hit way too close to home... I do wonder if the scenario writer for that particular level had some similar history, either first hand or from loved ones.

(Quick edit- looked at the last page and noticed the doc is out. I'll have to go through that after!)

One question I have with the plot for where I'm currently at- Where did the step aunt twist come from? I must have looked away because it seemed twisty enough that Nona was Lucy. Not sure why that extra layer got added in.

Chieves fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 3, 2023

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Ford does hint at that with the line "I hid her among her family, Razputin. Among YOUR family." But in the cutscene after that level, Raz says "My great aunt killed my grandma and so you made us babysit her for twenty years?" so he just seems to suddenly know that Ford was speaking literally, and also Lucretia's exact relationship to him. Maybe something got cut out that would've made it seem less out of nowhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Chieves posted:

One question I have with the plot for where I'm currently at- Where did the step aunt twist come from? I must have looked away because it seemed twisty enough that Nona was Lucy. Not sure why that extra layer got added in.

I think the point is that "Ford put an amnesiac Lucy with her son" can be argued as an obviously good thing to do. "She was a victim too!" etc etc. But "Ford brainwashed her nephew Augustus, whose parents Lucy killed, to make him believe Lucy was his mother" is way more obviously hosed up on Ford's part. Adding those extra elements centers things on what Ford did all those years ago and makes it much more obvious that this thing he did was hosed up and wrong, however good his intentions and however understandable his motivations.