Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Chaosforge, the team behind DoomRL, have spent the last several years working on a game they can sell without being sued: Jupiter Hell. A classic turn-based, grid-based roguelike, but with more guns than usual. 1.0 released 8/2021 with many updates to come.

Roadmap

quote:

1.3 - 14th March 2022 - Valhalla - rework of Callisto content, early game variety, localization
1.4 - May 2022 - Chaos - rework of Europa/Io content
1.5 - August 2022 - Endgame - rework of Beyond, Trials, badges and achievements, stuff for the veteran players
2.0 - 2022 - <classified>
Steam / GOG / Humble

Official Site
Release trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM1ZBvgYOX0

FAQ:

2. This would be perfect for the Switch!
The devs have stated that console ports will be very difficult for them, so don't get your hopes up. However, the game plays very well with a controller, or mobile touch controls via the Android Steam Link app.
3. The voice acting and quips and UI warping are annoying.
There are options to adjust or disable these things to your liking.
4. I don't like the OST, can you recommend an appropriately Jupiterish alternative?
YOUR BLOOD IS SWEET LIKE WIIIIIIIIINE

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

3. The voice acting and quips and UI warping and music are annoying.
There are options to adjust or disable these things to your liking.

Jupiter Hell main character posted:

'Would you kindly alt-tab back? There are demons to kill'

Jupiter Hell is a good videogame, you should buy it and shoot demons, thank you for reading my review

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

victrix posted:

Jupiter Hell is a good videogame, you should buy it and shoot demons, thank you for reading my review

*alt-tabs back to get back to playing* Okay okay sheesh.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Rule of thumb: if you feel like you need to use something to get rid of a problem, stop hesitating and do it. Grenades, heals, phase kits, whatever, poo poo can go wrong extremely fast in JH.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Man I gotta say, most of the special levels are perfectly fine, but I feel a deep sense of dread every time I see The Hunt up there in the corner...

It probably doesn't help that like, the last 2 or 3 times it's been in those semi-open mine levels. Really blows getting just completely surrounded by demons. At least the exp reward is fantastic.

edit: wait a minute, I just got the exalted portal summoning event in a strongroom. This...can happen? It was just free exp because the level's so small.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I posted a bunch of general tactical chatter in the main roguelike thread, here's the reposts because I'm lazy

Are we gonna try to tackle Nightmare as a thread?! We've had some UV winners, surely N! Angel of X can't be that much harder, right? Right? :eng99:

me, lazy posted:

Using a multitool repairs your armor 25%

Shooting makes noise and will draw nearby enemies to you.

You can hear all enemies making noise. They all have distinct sounds, you can tell the unique dangerous ones apart with some practice.

Fiend-type enemies will track you by scent - this is why they often pop up behind you. You can break tracking with smoke/gas, but generally just something to be aware of while traversing.

If you're holding a move direction, you're 'running' and will auto-stop on spotting an enemy. You can adjust the delay before this kicks in and how fast it repeats in the options.

Vending machines drop stimpacks once in a blue moon if destroyed.

Impact is 'normal' damage
Pierce does double damage to mechs and ignores armor, slash does half
Plasma ignores some armor
More rare, but heat does half to mechs, toxin does none

You can shoot doors to destroy them.

If you know where an enemy is, via tracking/relics/bloodhound/whatever, you can manually target and shoot them with any gun even if they aren't in line of sight. If you don't, you can still use a shotgun and hit them with splash (or rockets I suppose)

Swap harness mod reduces swap time when you swap to the weapon. Get this on your shotgun/rocket launcher if you switch a lot. (all?) Pistols inherently switch fast.

more bullshit

me again posted:

Sound carries - use it to lure enemies from a distance, just target the ground/door/crate and fire, wait a few turns to see if anything joins you

Enemy grunts will melee, and they suck at melee - use this to duck back from a door, them step up with them so you end up beside them with a shotgun or crowbar for their face. Also works well for Tech hacking.

If you have target tracking in any form, you can target enemies visible out of line of sight - this makes the bloodhound trait line and tech map hacking both really powerful. Same for helmet heat vision/bot vision.

Cover gives 70%/40% evade on solid/weak cover. Hunkering gives 50% during the 'between' turn you hunker (like dodge), 25% after (without traits), cover stacks multiplicatively so hunkering on high cover gives 85% evade.

I think dodge can potentially be better than Hunker? I guess if you're over 50% dodge, and you can move instead of hunker while keeping your target in los, do that? I should probably look into that more closely.

All of that will be affected by traits/armor perks, so it may change the valuation and your behavior (cover master etc).

Aim bonus is 50%, and stacks to 100% if you use it twice. It's per target, relevant for cover master, so you have to 're-aim' if you want to get that bonus again.

Scoped weapons (and various traits/perks) will turn aim% into crit%, so if you spot a target with a scoped sniper and wait twice, you're guaranteed to crit (and possibly multi-crit with base crit % present).

and

thoughts on ammo posted:

There's a bunch of considerations with ammo - how ammo hungry is your main, what area are you in (ammo goes 9mm, 7.62, Cells per region in terms of frequency - .44 is fairly rare throughout, shells show up in the first two major areas mostly I believe), if you're in a side area (some side areas are demon heavy, and therefore ammo light), and what you're using the weapon for, and what build you're using (gun kata chewing ammo, etc).

If you only pull out your shotgun occasionally you can probably get away with one stack, two at most while it's frequent. But once you hit a point where you don't expect to pick up more frequently, you may want to stow away extra so you don't run dry when you need it.

There are perks that can help with ammo management, but I'm not sure how to fit them into most builds yet, I'm still struggling with raw power in UV difficulty - Hard in the various Angel modes might be more forgiving of including them, dunno, my buildfu is weak here.

Rockets pack a lot of power into one slot, if you're willing to take up a weapon slot - you can carry 10 rockets in one inventory slot, compared with 3 grenades. Gas and smoke have their own uses, but rockets can mostly replace frag/krak/emp I think.

You can try to run two (or even three, making scavenger super good) weapons on the same ammo type, which eases inventory concerns a bit, but you may run into issues if you're trying to carry a 9mm to the end (probably possible with the right perks and mods though!).

And finally some useful links, minor spoilers:

Mod pack effects: https://jupiterhell.fandom.com/wiki/Mod_packs
Weapon perks: https://jupiterhell.fandom.com/wiki/Weapon_perks
Armor perks: https://jupiterhell.fandom.com/wiki/Armor_perks

Useful link, bigger spoilers:
Locations/side areas with rough loot https://jupiterhell.fandom.com/wiki/Locations

The steam guides have some useful general advice: https://steamcommunity.com/app/811320/guides

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Arzaac posted:

Man I gotta say, most of the special levels are perfectly fine, but I feel a deep sense of dread every time I see The Hunt up there in the corner...

It probably doesn't help that like, the last 2 or 3 times it's been in those semi-open mine levels. Really blows getting just completely surrounded by demons. At least the exp reward is fantastic.

edit: wait a minute, I just got the exalted portal summoning event in a strongroom. This...can happen? It was just free exp because the level's so small.

Exalted Summons in strongrooms are manageable as you have enough time to clear the portals and level at the same time. Exalted Curses on the other hand...

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm working on Angel of Hubris on hard atm and this challenge is just nonsense, it doesn't start you with anywhere near enough supplies to make this challenge possible without god tier rng.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

game loving owns. just beat normal gun kataing it up after finding a piercing 9mm pistol real early on.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Ugh just threw an angel of carnage run on hard because I tapped move twice next to an archwarlock. I had phase kits in my bag that would have saved me :doh:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Also, nice title OP

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Two entire areas, using nothing but pistol/melee, every amp dropped is shotgun :mad:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Arzaac posted:

I have survived the hunt on Dante 3 exactly one time, and I've gotten in 3 times in 55 runs. The only time I survived was with a poison immune marine and the CRI launcher.

Also RE: AMP, this is one big point for going to the frozen temple route on Europa. Yes, you don't get any unique weapon / armor there but its a guaranteed AV3 amp for your most used weapon type, an AV3 armor and the frozen heart for the halls of darkness if you so desire to get a buff there.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

In the other thread someone mentioned how they disliked that you can walk into range of an enemy and get shot before you can react.
Can anyone confirm that it can happen?

Because in my experience you always get to act first when an enemy enters your los.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

In the other thread someone mentioned how they disliked that you can walk into range of an enemy and get shot before you can react.
Can anyone confirm that it can happen?

Because in my experience you always get to act first when an enemy enters your los.

I haven't seen it happen yet.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If the enemy already is aware of you, running back into their Los can absolutely trigger fire, for example in a corridor there's a zombieman aware of you and you walk into the doorway. I've been shot this way before.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

If the enemy already is aware of you, running back into their Los can absolutely trigger fire, for example in a corridor there's a zombieman aware of you and you walk into the doorway. I've been shot this way before.

That seems different from being shot the moment you first meet them though, which was the question.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Kchama posted:

That seems different from being shot the moment you first meet them though, which was the question.

Thats true, I dont think I've ever been shot by an enemy the first time you spot them ever.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

lmao found this on a current hard onslaught run.

didnt realise what it rolled with until i already added the speed loader bulk mod :(

e:

:eyepop:

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 23, 2021

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

if you have <100% move speed you will occasionally get blasted without a chance to react.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

If you're using something that lowers your move speed below 100% that's completely on you though. Gotta be willing to deal with the consequences of your own decisions.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Kchama posted:

They will not shoot you on the turn that brings you into their line of sight for the first time. They will shoot you immediately after that, though, and it's usually impossible for you to get into cover with that turn, so if you're unlucky you will just get shot. This can happen even if the first thing you do is immediately turn around and run directly away to cover.
The only ways for you to not potentially get shot in this scenario are:
1: instakill the enemy with your first attack. This isn't possible a lot of the time.
2: Break line of sight instantly. Unless you're a Wizard Tech, this requires you to spend some kind of limited resource and you can't do it every single time you're in this scenario. You'll run out of stealth juice/smoke juice/phase kits/grenades/whatever, and you need to save them for when you open a door into a pack of elites rather than every time you bumble into a guy with a rifle that's too far away for you to hit reliably.

the best solutions to this are:
Be a Survivor Marine and don't give a poo poo about being shot
Be a Ghost Scout and already know where everything is anyway and have enough energy that you can spam Stealth freely
Be a Wizard Tech and begin every encounter like you're a startled octopus

But if you want to, say, build one of the other 12 Master options, or you're not level 8, then the best available solution is to sit around trying to lure every enemy on the map into a killbox where you have cover and they don't. This involves a ton of mashing the wait key and hoping things wander into you. It works, but I doubt it's what they had in mind given that most of the changes from DRL that lead to this being the strat were intended to REDUCE tedium.

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
First JH win! On Hard, but the angel of carnage challenge, which is arguably easier than the base game. Used a Gunrunner Scout, with full Hellrunner/Dodgemaster. Ended the run with about 4 rockets left, cutting things close.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

They will not shoot you on the turn that brings you into their line of sight for the first time. They will shoot you immediately after that, though, and it's usually impossible for you to get into cover with that turn, so if you're unlucky you will just get shot. This can happen even if the first thing you do is immediately turn around and run directly away to cover.

In my experience walking backwards as soon as you enter an enemy LoS results in them being out of range of their attack.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

In my experience walking backwards as soon as you enter an enemy LoS results in them being out of range of their attack.

Sometimes, it depends. If, for example, they happened to wander towards you on that turn then they're still going to be in range. If you entered their LOS by opening a door instead of walking into an open space, you'll typically still be in range. Sentry bots and turrets both seem to have attacks that can hit you even if they lose vision of you.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
So shoot the door and get their attention. You don't have to open every door with your face.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

Sometimes, it depends. If, for example, they happened to wander towards you on that turn then they're still going to be in range. If you entered their LOS by opening a door instead of walking into an open space, you'll typically still be in range. Sentry bots and turrets both seem to have attacks that can hit you even if they lose vision of you.

But if you enter their LoS by opening a door then you can just take a step to the side and then you're behind cover before they get to shoot?
Bots shoot at the same square for several turns in a row, so you just hunker down or exit that square.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

But if you enter their LoS by opening a door then you can just take a step to the side and then you're behind cover before they get to shoot?
You often can't. A lot of doors are at the end of hallways. You open the door into an enemy that you can't one shot and you are most likely taking damage.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
You shoot at the door from a distance, maybe even until it breaks

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

You shoot at the door from a distance, maybe even until it breaks

yeah, that also works. But this means that in order to walk into a room you must first hunker down in cover and shoot the door to pieces in the hopes that the noise will attract any enemies in it to run into your field of vision so that you can shoot them without leaving cover.

This is a fairly substantial investment of your time and potentially ammo and is, again, surely not the developer's intended method of room entry(which I suspect is "open the door and walk in").

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Where the hell can you get the soundtrack for the game btw?

Edit:

Also which path's do you usually prefer? Especially for Callisto. My only "goals" are usually Europa Ruins -> Shadow Halls if I know the run will have healing issues or the IO Black Site if I have at least 2-3 red cards.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Aug 23, 2021

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

You don’t even need door-shooting strats, at least on hard. I got my first win there yesterday, and the things that killed me on my last few runs were obvious fuckups on my part - things like pushing too far into unknown territory and getting surrounded, or getting the BFT in CRI labs and then keymashing my way towards the stairs since the level was “clear”. (0/10 do not recommend.) Attrition wasn’t a factor at all. Opening a door with no cover and finding something nasty on the other side of it is only a big deal if you’re out of your class resource and/or grenades, and you should almost always be carrying some grenades.

Also, the old kind of blindfiring is still in the game - you can stick an accuracy mod on a shotgun to increase the maximum range past your vision range. It’s just that doing so requires you to give something up - a precious weapon slot and mod if you’re playing a non-shotgun build, and scarcer-than-DoomRL ammo if you’re playing a shotgun build - so it’s not the trivially optimal play any more.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

FrickenMoron posted:

Edit:

Also which path's do you usually prefer? Especially for Callisto. My only "goals" are usually Europa Ruins -> Shadow Halls if I know the run will have healing issues or the IO Black Site if I have at least 2-3 red cards.

I like the Chaos Biolabs for the ENV armor and increased chance to get Avalanche there. Just make sure you have smoke/stealth/phase for the last room

As far as Callisto, the Mines are the only location with a "amp of the most used weapon type" reward, making it a pretty clear winner if it's around, otherwise the branch rewards are similar enough that I usually just pick whatever option has the favored unique I most want to play with. This usually means Mimir Habitat, which as a bonus lets me disable CalSec.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 23, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Edit:

I avoid the Callisto Anomaly because it's pretty tough without a good close-range exotic, and the Barracks will generally cost me health due to the nature of the enemies so I avoid it.

For Europa, I will gun for the Pit for the guaranteed backpack, always handy.

For Io, I will try to maintain a 3x card stack for the Black Site from game start because the not-BFG is just too drat useful against Medusae, and is also pretty clutch against the final boss.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Valhalla or Mimir because turning the robots off for the last 2 levels saves a ton of resources and you get a load of EXP for it
backpack, I have not visited a single europa branch since discovering that the backpack exists
Black Site if I have the cards for it

and always do the inferno

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

(porting this convo from the general RL thread)

Kchama posted:

Them taking out blind-firing as The Strat was the best thing JH did.

I agree in principle, but if it's been replaced with "shoot at the wall and then wait for a while to see if anything shows up" for classes that don't have regeneration or instant escape options, I think that's actually worse in practice.

victrix posted:

You can still pull enemies by blindfiring just fine, sound draws nearby enemies

Really the only cheapshot I dislike is opening a door into a literal room full of really bad news enemies, but this is actually relatively infrequent - vaults are obvious, so you know what to expect, and if it does happen in just a_random_room, that's what your smoke/grenades/special ability/rockets/etc are for

The locational enemy sound audio is also really good, you can tell what type of enemy and where they are if you're paying careful attention - to the point where I am rarely surprised by the nastier enemy types and will shoot down a door to attract them without peeking first

I am usually playing late and night and muted (because I don't want to dig out my headphones) and even when it's not muted I'm usually playing on my laptop, which has no left/right separation worth speaking of, let alone full positional audio; this is why I added directional closed captions to DoomRL originally and it would be nice if JH added something similar, since sound remains very important in it.

FrickenMoron posted:

It's in assets.nvc as Ogg Vorbis, looks like -- I can see the Vorbis headers in there. I am probably not going to bother writing a general purpose unpacker for it but something that peels the music out shouldn't be too hard.

That said, the composer has said in the past that once the soundtrack is complete, it'll be released on his bandcamp. So you could also just wait for that.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
How do you deal with Medusa' on Angel of Marksmanship? Pistols have kinda shite stopping power unless you find an unique and my Gun Kata Scout just couldnt handle them forever. Didnt help that I found zero gas grenades too.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

(porting this convo from the general RL thread)

I agree in principle, but if it's been replaced with "shoot at the wall and then wait for a while to see if anything shows up" for classes that don't have regeneration or instant escape options, I think that's actually worse in practice.

It... uh, hasn't.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

FrickenMoron posted:

How do you deal with Medusa' on Angel of Marksmanship? Pistols have kinda shite stopping power unless you find an unique and my Gun Kata Scout just couldnt handle them forever. Didnt help that I found zero gas grenades too.

i just beat a gun kata angel of marksmanship on hard with a 7.62 sidearm and a plasma pistol because i didn't find anything else (not even a second plasma, i had to do the last boss with one gun) and i always tried to stay at the edge of their line of sight so you can move out of it while still shooting, always pop stealth the moment you see one and you're not in an optimal spot to run away shooting, worst case just use the dash to haul rear end in a straight line away from them. dash is insanely good with gun kata since you get two free moves per four squares moved, or something like that. basically compensate for bad dps with breaking the action economy of the game and by shooting as you're leaving line of sight as much as possible.

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

ToxicFrog posted:

there's three classes in the game. one of them has regeneration and the other two have instant escape options. lol.