Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
AoC on hard down with a wizard. Got the hunt on dante 3 and nearly shat bricks, but the bio launcher + BFT were able to keep things under control, barely. And I came into the boss fight with enough consumables that I just spawned ten bots and overwhelmed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

bees x1000 posted:

weapon stats really should reflect boosts from skills and equipment.

or at least a summary on the character screen

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Haha, I'm on my best run yet, in the black site vault. I'm a survivor marine and somehow find my position of having to choose between Calamity, Shadowhunter, railgun, and BFT9k. I've got 2 levels of Army Surplus which I used to get a bunch of cells. I've also got an AV3 auto amp. What should I take?

EDIT: I'm probably going to manufacture an AV3 7.62 assault rifle to use so that I'm not all in on one kind of ammo.

EDIT2: Might as well ask everything while I'm thinking about it. Would Ravager's Claw be worthwhile with those? I'm thinking no - dividing base damage of those beefy weapons for explosions seems kinda lame.

SavageMessiah fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 24, 2021

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The BFT is hard to beat in terms of raw damage output so I'd say definitely keep that. And realistically you're probably going to get a level, maybe two, in just one of the uniques so pick one and fill the last slot with a modded rifle. I think calamity would be better?

e: yeah that relic is not really suited to launchers/semiautos

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

dyzzy posted:

The BFT is hard to beat in terms of raw damage output so I'd say definitely keep that. And realistically you're probably going to get a level, maybe two, in just one of the uniques so pick one and fill the last slot with a modded rifle. I think calamity would be better?

e: yeah that relic is not really suited to launchers/semiautos

Thanks, BFT/Calamity/rifle was what I was leaning towards. Maybe I'm starting to figure this game out after splatting a poo poo ton of poor saps yesterday.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I died on Dante 3 because I wanted to conserve some ammo for the last fight. Archmedusae are bonkers. I didn't realize how tough they were because I usually two shot them with my default gun (exotic smg that uses .44). Couldn't put out enough damage with the rail gun or the BFG.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Medusae of both varieties are the most important reason in the game to carry as many gas grenades as you find, unless they're being protected by a warlock aura then I usually just let them live their lives if I can.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I think I'm 30+ tries into Angel of Marksmanship on Hard now. Pistols just loving suck rear end at clearing groups especially early on. If you get 3 Exalted imps on Callisto 3 next to you youre just dead.

Edit: 10 Times I didnt manage to get out of the first level. How is this challenge considered easy and Shotgunnery Medium?

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 24, 2021

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

I think I'm 30+ tries into Angel of Marksmanship on Hard now. Pistols just loving suck rear end at clearing groups especially early on. If you get 3 Exalted imps on Callisto 3 next to you youre just dead.

Edit: 10 Times I didnt manage to get out of the first level. How is this challenge considered easy and Shotgunnery Medium?

mostly because shotguns are great at groups early game but if you run into exactly 1 sentry bot you are immediately dead

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

FrickenMoron posted:

use the power mod pack on the .44 to get fresh magazine or whatever it's called, makes the first bullet a guaranteed kill. helps a lot with the early game.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Foul Fowl posted:

use the power mod pack on the .44 to get fresh magazine or whatever it's called, makes the first bullet a guaranteed kill. helps a lot with the early game.

it helps but the first bullet doesn't actually seem to be a guaranteed kill on fiends, it usually takes two unless you have enough crit to get 1 guaranteed. Still worth doing because it takes a few things from 3 hit kills to 2 hits and you'll always get the zombies in one.

The other tricky part of marksmanship is just the fact that your two options both have problems. 9mm pistols are weak and Combat Pistols aren't much better. Revolvers are strong, but they're still impact and they've got a short range. Also, the only way to keep them fed is with Scavenger/Army Surplus. Taking this commits you to using them over the later 7.62 and Plasma pistols, since neither of those have ammo problems and you can't afford to have just wasted 2 level ups. They really take off later, though, once you've got Scavenger to feed them and Son of a Gun to give them range, and you can replace them with Long Revolvers which actually have good range. But your early game will either involve being forced to use 9mms because you have no ammo, or suffering because of the bad range from not having Son of a Gun yet. Either way Callisto is a massive struggle.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:toot:

Melee sucks rear end to get off the ground, but it's hilariously powerful once you're rolling

Literally walked up to the last boss and cut it to pieces

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

cock hero flux posted:

it helps but the first bullet doesn't actually seem to be a guaranteed kill on fiends, it usually takes two unless you have enough crit to get 1 guaranteed. Still worth doing because it takes a few things from 3 hit kills to 2 hits and you'll always get the zombies in one.

The other tricky part of marksmanship is just the fact that your two options both have problems. 9mm pistols are weak and Combat Pistols aren't much better. Revolvers are strong, but they're still impact and they've got a short range. Also, the only way to keep them fed is with Scavenger/Army Surplus. Taking this commits you to using them over the later 7.62 and Plasma pistols, since neither of those have ammo problems and you can't afford to have just wasted 2 level ups. They really take off later, though, once you've got Scavenger to feed them and Son of a Gun to give them range, and you can replace them with Long Revolvers which actually have good range. But your early game will either involve being forced to use 9mms because you have no ammo, or suffering because of the bad range from not having Son of a Gun yet. Either way Callisto is a massive struggle.

i just used the .44 until i ran out of ammo for it, i found enough ammo to get through callisto with it (swapping to a 9mm combat pistol when feasible). i also went son of a gun > dual wielding asap to solve the pistol damage issue and then just played it safe until hellrunner/dash/gun kata comes online and makes you invincible with good positioning and stealth.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Foul Fowl posted:

i just used the .44 until i ran out of ammo for it, i found enough ammo to get through callisto with it (swapping to a 9mm combat pistol when feasible). i also went son of a gun > dual wielding asap to solve the pistol damage issue and then just played it safe until hellrunner/dash/gun kata comes online and makes you invincible with good positioning and stealth.

Going for fast gunslinger helps a lot for Scout and Marine. Unfortunately, the challenge is called Marksmanship, and both of their pistol builds revolve around firing two guns wildly. So the most thematically appropriate class to play it as is obviously Technician, taking Sharpshooter as their capstone.

this is one of the worst things any human being can inflict on themselves, but that's okay, because it's also thematically appropriate to experience eternal suffering

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

victrix posted:

:toot:

Melee sucks rear end to get off the ground, but it's hilariously powerful once you're rolling

Literally walked up to the last boss and cut it to pieces

What was your build?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
oh lol i wasn't even thinking about doing the challenge as anything except gun kata scout with 80% dodge, emptying whole magazines with 12% hit chance, classic angel of marksmanship.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Loddfafnir posted:

What was your build?

Blademaster, started with Juggernaut/Bladedancer, picked up the various skill/power boosters and Toxicologist later and Cover Master at the tail end of the run

Health monitor is a good helmet perk to get rolling early

I made a point of prioritizing melee kills whenever possible, it paid off because I got a sicknasty AV3 melee amp, and later found multiple AV2/3 katanas, ending with one that had vampire on it. Early game was just super modded combat knives -> machete -> katana -> AV katanas.

I carried a pistol of whatever type and a stack of ammo for the run, I actually found Hate and Death both, but I couldn't keep enough ammo to use Hate, and Death was at the end of the run so it barely mattered. Cute to plink a Warlock and have it kick the bucket for free though.

Generally carried one stack of ammo, healing, multitools, and then whatever in the last slot. I probably could have gone for the backpack (always on Europa?), but you don't need much with melee once you get going.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

it seems counter productive to invest a point in cover master if your gonna be gunning to bullet storm, but getting that as your second trait is pretty helpful early on.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 24, 2021

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Has anyone else had Love and Hate drop on the same run? I had Gunslinger and it was the easiest run I've ever finished. I'm usually lucky to see one exotic and even luckier if it works with my build, so it seems like more than coincidence that those two pistols in particular dropped.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

FrickenMoron posted:

Just beat it on hard, and it was the easiest challenge so far for me (probably since I like playing ghost scouts the most). The revolver takes care of everything in callisto; I usually go for eagle eye -> deadly precision -> skilled & energy leech 2 -> ghost. The very end got a bit harder since I never found any uniques I could use & just had heavily modded 7.68 sidearm and plasma pistols, but spamming stealth did the trick.

Personally I do a -lot- better with deadly precision and cover than with gun kata.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Got to Endless level 33 on Hard with Ghost, died to a 53 damage mortar snipe. I hadn't used it before but Ghost is incredibly powerful - never get surprised by anything ever again, plus mass crit alpha strikes. It makes Wizard's OP'ness seem a little less ridiculous.

Endless mode has some serious ammo issues, even scavenger level 3 doesn't help if you're unlucky enough to get floor after floor of demons.

Is there a way to target-aim? I wanted to be able to stealth > target-aim at the middle dude in a group for extra crit > launch rocket, but I couldn't figure out how to do that.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

Got to Endless level 33 on Hard with Ghost, died to a 53 damage mortar snipe. I hadn't used it before but Ghost is incredibly powerful - never get surprised by anything ever again, plus mass crit alpha strikes. It makes Wizard's OP'ness seem a little less ridiculous.

Endless mode has some serious ammo issues, even scavenger level 3 doesn't help if you're unlucky enough to get floor after floor of demons.

Is there a way to target-aim? I wanted to be able to stealth > target-aim at the middle dude in a group for extra crit > launch rocket, but I couldn't figure out how to do that.

T on keyboard

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

yeah I know T, but I'm specifically trying to aim/wait after doing so to get Deadly Precision crit for my rocket

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

bees x1000 posted:

yeah I know T, but I'm specifically trying to aim/wait after doing so to get Deadly Precision crit for my rocket

Tab to switch targets, then wait.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

that's it, thanks. that would've saved my run, mortar dude wouldn't have survived the extra crit

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
RIP. Lost a very promising run to a crash which deleted my save.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
That's the worst feeling. I dunno what it was but one day the game would just crash after like an hour or so. Really wish they would just keep a running save file going while the game is running since it's not like the current system is gonna stop you if you want to save scum.

Oh hey apparently the game copies the morgue to your clipboard? Here's my Confidence win with survivor melee marine:
code:
Mark Taggart, level 17 Marine,
defeated the Harbinger against all odds.

He survived for 9112 turns.
The run time was 1h 46m 37s.
World seed was 5157.
He scored 5947 points.
He liked it HARD!
He was an Angel of Confidence!

EUROPA L2 -> Conamara Chaos Biolabs L1
Conamara Chaos Biolabs L3 - Volatile Storage
Conamara Chaos Biolabs L3 -> Containment Area
Containment Area - found Cybersuit
Containment Area - Cleared!
IO L2 -> Io Black Site L1
Io Black Site L3 - Infestation
Io Black Site L3 -> Black Site Vaults
Black Site Vaults - Cleared!
The Shattered Abyss - Cleared!
The Shattered Abyss - found Soulstealer
Dante Inferno - Cleared!
Dante Inferno - found BFT 10K
Dante Inferno - found Death

Awards
  Medal of Prejudice (+200)
   * Won with 100% kills
  Conqueror Ribbon (+200)
   * Completed all encountered special levels
  Blind Luck Star (+50)
   * Won despite getting down to 1hp at some point
  Confident Bronze Badge
   * Reach Io on Angel of Confidence
  Confident Silver Badge
   * Complete Angel of Confidence (AoCo)
  Confident Gold Badge
   * Complete AoCo on Hard

He killed 508 out of 508 enemies.

4  former CRI grunts       22 cryoreavers
 15 corrupted soldiers      26 toxic reavers
 1  former CRI soldier      61 archreavers
 1  corrupted sergeant      7  cyberi
 3  former CRI sergeants    6  cryoberi
 2  corrupted guards        8  toxiberi
 2  CRI guards              15 medusae
 6  corrupted commandoes    4  archmedusae
 6  hellish commandoes      13 ravagers
 2  former CRI commandoes   20 armored ravagers
 1  corrupted heavy         3  siege ravagers
 4  combat drones           6  plasma ravagers
 34 fiends                  20 CRI marines
 12 fire fiends             12 CRI bots
 14 ice fiends              7  guardians
 11 security sentries       4  sentinels
 6  security bots           7  warlocks
 1  guardian bot            4  archwarlocks
 37 reavers

Traits
  Ironman L1
  Hellrunner L3
  Tough as Nails L3
  Rip and tear L2
  Cover Master L1
  Angry Motherfucker L3
  SURVIVOR L3

Trait order
  TaN->Hr->AMf->Hr->Hr->AMf->MSV->TaN->
  RaT->MSV->TaN->RaT->MSV->AMf->Iro->Cov->

Equipment
  Slot #1 : Soulstealer
  Slot #2 : AWP 7.62 long rifle A
   * Calibrated 1
   * Demonbane
   * Git gud
   * Scope

Slot #3 : BFT 10K
  Body    : Cybersuit PBA
   * Carrier
   * Fire-resistant
   * Swift

Head    : blast helmet
   * Blast shield

Utility : AV3 melee AMP
   * Melee guard
   * Melee crit system

Relic   : reaver's claw
   * Bloody Tears

Permanents
  Medusa's Curse

Inventory
  energy cell (x100)
  energy cell (x100)
  energy cell (x63)
  7.62 ammo (x76)
  plasma grenade (x1)
  frag grenade (x2)
  CRI phase kit (x2)
  multitool (x5)
  multitool (x3)
  stimpack (x1)
  small medkit (x2)
  large medkit

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Just won Angel of Doom on my first run on hard with a Gun Kata scout. I dont think this challenge is possible with any other build except maybe something very fast/melee focused.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Well there's most of the Angel of X challenges done on hard, though I think the only one I have left that I have any desire to do is Doom. New York sounds obnoxious, Mercy and Exaltation both sound unfun.
It's really impressive just how melee Ghost scout trivializes the entire game once you hit around 10 and can have a couple levels of hellrunner and maxed energy leech.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

ok so I'm having an easier time on UV than Hard Endless, because the extra exalted drop more ammo/health/gear.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Well that was an anticlimax. I made it to the boss for the first time, emptied over 300 cells worth of BFG into it and the stupid thing seemed to still have multiple health bars left. I blew threw all my healing pretty quickly because it does an absurd amount of damage and that was that. I must be missing something because hoarding tons of cells for the most powerful normal weapon in the game plus a bunch of stimpacks, moving behind the indestructible cover, and being on normal seems like it should be more than "a nice start".

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Did you fire all the BFG shots all in a row? Because IIRC the final boss has a damage gate for part of its second phase, meaning your shots will be gimped if you just dump them all

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

toasterwarrior posted:

Did you fire all the BFG shots all in a row? Because IIRC the final boss has a damage gate for part of its second phase, meaning your shots will be gimped if you just dump them all

Ah, that would probably explain it. I was pretty much shooting and reloading. I didn't see anything visually that would indicate that kind of effect though.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
When you get its life bar to purple, note that portion in the upper right (where enemy info normally shows), it says "damage gate 80" for that phase.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I just tried a technician melee build for the first time, and I would like to state for the record: lmao.

Between the 75% damage reduction from juggernaut and the 70% dodge from melee guard whenever you're within 3 tiles of an enemy you can literally just ignore cover, walk right up to an enemy group, and cut them all down with your hanzo steel while taking damage in the single digits. I got the helmet that gives damage reduction equal to your pain and the armor that gives you stealth on kill, just to make it even more ridiculous. An incredibly refreshing playstyle.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

c'mon lincoln, think this one through, you can do this

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Only class I haven't done a melee build for yet is Scout, I gotta try that out. Ghost or Assassinate, though?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I haven't tried assassinate but I can't see how it could possibly be better than ghost for a melee build. One of them makes you invincible and gives you 2 guaranteed crits, the other teleports you into a group of enemies and does not guarantee any crits.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Ghost is amazing and melee Ghost just got me the Endless platinum badge (reach floor 30 on UV)

Einwand posted:

2 guaranteed crits
yeah about this, there were multiple instances during the run where I wouldn't get the extra attack. I'd hit once and suddenly be out of stealth. It was unpredictable and nearly got me killed. I wonder if anyone else is seeing this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Einwand posted:

I haven't tried assassinate but I can't see how it could possibly be better than ghost for a melee build. One of them makes you invincible and gives you 2 guaranteed crits, the other teleports you into a group of enemies and does not guarantee any crits.

The guaranteed crits aren't Ghost specific though, that's on Skilled. Nothing's stopping you from getting 2 Skilled on Assassinate.

And actually, for that matter, Assassinate gets 2 Executioner, which is 75% crit chance. 100% if you wanna spend an extra point there.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 25, 2021