Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9U6yU2-DWY

Greetings goons and goonettes, for the coming months the European football circus really kicks off. Sure, there's still some 'qualifiers' being played this week, but unless you're a Spurs fan or Italian you have never given a poo poo about them in the first place. So we're starting off the thread with the group stages. The Old Wise Men of Uefa in Nyon have given us three gifts to open as we figure out if oil money alone is still enough to win a trophy in Europe (probably yes)

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

When football was born in 1992, the Champions League was its placenta. When Europacup I was open only to champions (and maybe second place if you were lucky), the Champions League is ironically also open to losers from 'the big leagues' like Portugal, France and Russia. This is where about 87% of all UEFA football money is and so it's very tempting to forgo any domestic league game to make sure you qualifier further into the Champions League until you get bopped out by *waves hand vaguely* Atalanta and you have to hurry up your game to get that coveted 4th place trophy to get those sweet sweet UEFA millions

Last year's winner: Chelsea beat Manchester City 1-0
Premier League teams in the competition: Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool
Most succesful club: Real Madrid

Should you, for some reason, fail to qualify for the Champions League or only get third in the group stages you are eligible for a second chance in the

EUROPA LEAGUE

The UEFA Europa League was created in an attempt to make not-Champions League Eurofoot look really pog, as the youth says. It started out ok with the very radical idea that every team had to qualify for the competition, but then some pissbabies starting crying about how this made it hard for Athletic de Bilbao to qualify or whatever so now there's guaranteed spots here too. It's made the Europa League less cool, but if you want to be a hipster about Eurofoot and you only like capitalism when it's not in the Middle East, you racist, there's still fun times to be had here. Cup winners go in this one, and if you win the Europa league you win a golden ticket to CL millions. So it might be tempting to forgo those domestic games, but I reckon that 4th place trophy might be easier than an EL win. Even if your American owners think you can do it on a windy night in Kazan

Last year's winner: Villarreal drew Manchester United 1-1 and then they did over 9000 penalties and Villarreal won lmao
Premier League teams in the competition: Leicester, West Ham
Most succesful club: Sevilla

Listen, I'm not saying that you're bad if you manage to not qualify for this trophy, or end up being bopped out of the group stages by a Dutch team. I'm just saying that UEFA and the fans don't really care about the

EUROPA CONFERENCE LEAGUE

Last year's winner: Uh, this is the first time this competition is played, dummy!!!
Premier League teams in the competition: Spurs
Most succesful club: All the clubs that aren't here

You see, UEFA saw that while there was a second-tier European competition, the prospect at a golden ticket to the CL made it so failsons who couldn't win their league ended up giving more priority to the Europa League anyway, which made it so the top leagues kept winning there too. So UEFA made a competition so loving boring with so little loving money involved that top teams will never ever give a poo poo about it ever. The only thing you can win is an EL ticket and if you're not winning an EL ticket in your competition you might as well be relegated inchallah. So here's the Intertoto Cup but with only one winner instead of four or whatever the gently caress it had. It's only goal is to show lovely leagues like Ukraine, Belgium and Turkey that yes, you really are as poo poo as we say you are and it's time to lose to Latvia's 4th place team or whatever

The group stage draws happen Thursday if you're in the CL and Friday if you're poo poo.

Oh also, away goals aren't a thing anymore. They just count as regular goals

belgend fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

it just works

https://editorial.uefa.com/resources/0263-10c848fb43cc-49ac1262ab7c-1000/access_list_2021-22_final.pdf

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Good op, OP. I'm very excited for the Europa vanarama conference and its potential to throw up retro 70s ties. Aberdeen vs maccabi Tel Aviv cannot be broadcast in high definition

If man united win the champions league (or more likely they get bounced out in the groups and cheat their way to a Europa League) I'll donate 30 quid to FareShare. This will not happen because they're a poo poo small time club, but at least I'll feel a bit better doing some good if the unthinkable happens

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

As funny as the Conference League is and as much of a nightmare it is from a logistics standpoint (go ahead and look up its qualification stages, I dare you), it does actually seem to be a really cool competition for teams from smaller nations. Iirc there isn't too much of a financial difference between it and the Europa, and a lot more nations will be represented with smaller teams having a better chance of making it to the latter knock out rounds.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Gonna lol when Roma gets knocked out of the Conference League and Mourinho has a meltdown that isn’t a meltdown but is obviously a meltdown.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
We all love the all encompassing Eurofoot thread

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

Lots of thigh rubbing already for the Eurofoot group stages but if you can't get Nyon out of your head before the draws here's your qualifiers for the coming week. In brackets is the current aggregate score

Today

Ferencvaros - Young Boys (2-3)
Ludogorets - Malmo (0-2)
PSV - Benfica (1-2)

Wednesday

Brondby - RB Salzburg (1-2)
Dinamo Zagreb - Sheriff Tiraspol (0-3)
WAXTAP - Monaco (1-0)

Thursday

Europa League

Alashkert - Rangers (0-1)
HJK - Fenerbahce (0-1)
Luhansk - Rapid Wien (0-3)
Galatasaray - Randers (1-1)
AZ - Celtic (0-2)
Cluj - Red Star (0-4)
Slovan Bratislava - Olympiacos (0-3)
Sturm Graz - Mura (3-1)
Antwerp - Omonia (2-4)
Legia - Slavia Prague (2-2)

Conference League

Kairat - Fola Esch (4-1)
Bodo/Glimt - Zalgiris (2-2)
Lincoln Red Imps - Riga (1-1)
Zilina - Jablonec (1-5)
Maccabi Haifa - Neftci Baku (3-3)
Rosenborg - Rennes (0-2)
Hammarby - Basel (1-3)
Vitesse - Anderlecht (3-3)
CSKA Sofia - Plzen (0-2)
Elfsborg - Feyenoord (0-5)
Kobnhavn - Sivasspor (2-1)
Roma - Trabzonspor (2-1)
Famagusta - Hapoel Beer Sheva (0-0)
Maccabi Tel Aviv - Karagandy (2-1)
Rijeka - PAOK (1-1)
Saint Johnstone - LASK (1-1)
Gent - Rakow (0-1)
Union Berlin - KuPS (4-0)
Shamrock Rovers - Flora (2-4)
Aberdeen - Qarabag (0-1)
Spurs - Pacos de Ferreira (0-1)
Partizan Belgrade - Santa Clara (1-2)

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I haven't read the euro conference rules but if spurs don't qualify but st Johnstone do, are they supposed to swap leagues or

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

the sex ghost posted:

I haven't read the euro conference rules but if spurs don't qualify but st Johnstone do, are they supposed to swap leagues or

They swap stadiums

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Total Meatlove posted:

They swap stadiums

I doubt Spurs could fill McDairmid Park tbh

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

They’d give it a good go.

Rangers have positive COVID cases so gently caress knows who’s flying out to Armenia tomorrow.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
lol I can't belive Malmö is playing in CL. Again.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Rangers play Alashkert, and will be missing;

Gerrard

GK: McGregor
GK: McLaughlin

LB: Bassey
RB: Tavernier

FW: Wright
FW: Kent

Because of a positive COVID case.

With Roofe serving the last game of his suspension for kung-fu fighting that Slavia keeper.

European and Old Firm debut for our third choice keeper :dance:

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
CL Draw is live

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

El Cashico

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
City PSG is a fun spicy start to the group stage. Toss in a Leipzig & Milan and make it hurt

edit - LEIPZIG ACHIEVED

All we need is Milan

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 26, 2021

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

TheRat posted:

El Cashico

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Imagine going el cashico when oiled firm is right there

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Group A
Man. City
Paris
Leipzig
Club Brugge

Group B
Atlético
Liverpool
Porto
Milan

Group C
Sporting CP
Dortmund
Ajax
Beşiktaş

Group D
Internazionale
Real Madrid
Shakhtar Donetsk
Sheriff

Group E
Bayern
Barcelona
Benfica
Dynamo Kyiv

Group F
Villarreal
Man. United
Atalanta
Young Boys

Group G
LOSC
Sevilla
Salzburg
Wolfsburg

Group H
Chelsea
Juventus
Zenit
Malmö

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

Ffs

E: ffs Anderlecht

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

belgend posted:

Ffs

E: ffs Anderlecht

Ouch for that draw. Cool but you're getting destroyed. Lmao at the thought of Messi at Jan Breydel though.

By the way, my body is ready for some euro foot

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Omnikin posted:

Group B
Atlético
Liverpool
Porto
Milan

Group of Phwoar imo

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
L
A
M
P

Group E was so close to 4 B clubs, can we get Besiktas to swap in?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

the sex ghost posted:

Group of Phwoar imo

agreed

Groups A/B are gonna be some tasty matches

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Well we’re done by Christmas but I struggle to think of any combination where we wouldn’t be.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
6 beers in and we're 1-0 up. Need another goal though

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Joe Hart is having an awesome game, and I’m not laughing too hard.

https://twitter.com/premiersportstv/status/1430959888197369856?s=21

https://twitter.com/premiersportstv/status/1430965091063762949?s=21

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I would have preferred an easier group for Liverpool but those will be some tasty matches.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I predict Liverpool will fight and win and win the group.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Joe fart

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Celtic didn’t even do a comedy extra time or 2 sendings off. Shameful club.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
We won 3-0. Group stages ftw

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
AZ are a good team so happy to get through at all- most would have made them favourites before the first game

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Lazio - Lokomotiv - Marseille - Galatasaray is an insane(ly racist) group for the EL.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

whats the worst that could happen

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Why do Celtic always get cursed EL groups

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Her Dryer posted:

Why do Celtic always get cursed EL groups

every group looks cursed when you're bad hth

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

UGH this is worse than when Everton were in town

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Why is this all in one thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
All the European competitions are equally important and deserve equal standing

also nobody could be arsed doing a full OP for three separate competitions