Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's not for kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Willo567 posted:

This might be getting into deep territory, but is there a reason SA in the past used to be so vehemently against anime culture, and mocked anyone who enjoyed it?

There was basically a number of subcommunities within SA that were based on harassment of people considered weirdos, which was assisted by a number of front page articles in that direction. I mean, stuff like kiwifarms came out of this site. Then on the other hand you've got extreme anime fans, which made for an easy target. 4chan came out of this site too. Things are probably more chilled out these days with SA trending older than much of the internet.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Also recall that until quite recently there was basically no legitimate way to watch anime so being an anime fan is kinda inherently admitting to illegal activity.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Pretend I said "most anime".

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'll start streaming the second season of Ojamajo Doremi tomorrow. (5pm PDT/8pm EDT/12am UTC/1am BST at https://cytu.be/r/mahoudou)

So yeah, this is the second season so you've missed about 50 episodes already. But it's one of thus silly-long series so probably it's not a big deal if you haven't seen every episode? I mean, the premise is pretty straightforward and basically every season more-or-less resets things at the start, so you should be able to pick it up quickly. Or maybe you've seen the first (localised) season already?

Well, anyway, hope some more people might join me. It's a great series.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hyouka is a lot closer to an Agatha Christie work in spirit. (Lots of stuff about the motivations of characters, very little "aha I noticed a tiny bit of evidence that changes everything", and also a lot of playing around with the structure of a detective story)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Anyway I think the true heir of Sherlock Holmes (or Herlock Sholmes) is probably the Ace Attorney games.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Tamba posted:

CLAMP's stance is that all forms of love are valid, so while their homosexual relationships were quite progressive for the time, it also extends to incest and teachers marrying their elementary school students...

In the anime at least it's a very minor background thing, don't worry too much.

Edit: ^^^ well okay, that's your opinion I guess, but the scene where Wenge finds a white hair in the gift package his mom sent to him is, IMHO, maybe the single most devastatingly human moment in all of anime

Fangz fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Sep 5, 2021

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

So uh, that newest episode of Fena: Pirate Princess...

:stare:

Fuckin' eh.

Explain? I'm kinda putting off watching that

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh okay, it's not the "this show sucks now" eh

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Willo567 posted:

SHE GOT HER HAIR TIED UP IN BRAIDS

I don't get it?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/mobpsycho_anime/status/1450431787021242375

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I watched the first episode of HGS. It was fine. I will probably watch more of it.

Seems distinctly like crunchyroll is trying to sabotage it as much as possible though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Just say average, different people use those letter grades for completely different meanings. In my locality a B- is the minimum passing grade so a C- would be a pretty bad fail.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hmm

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Yes, also closed captioning isn't quite the same as subs. There's stuff like sound effects for instance.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

People are referencing the post-credit final image of the movie, which suggests that at some point Tima is rebuilt.

There's also this image from the japanese bluray

Fangz fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 2, 2021

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

My copy didn't have that, and I let it keep going just to make sure.

Interesting

quote:

The Japanese release of the film shows a picture after the credits depicting a shop named "Kenichi & Tima Robot Company," with Tima visible in the window (or possibly driving the truck as the person looks similar to Tima). This implies that Kenichi succeeded in rebuilding Tima and they set up the shop together. This picture was included in the English theatrical release and Blu-ray printing, though not on the DVD release.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Taima posted:

Hey sorry if this is a difficult request but can anyone recommend some anime based on what I've liked so far?

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Blonson

I haven't watched a lot of it, so all I ask is that it's extremely good in your personal opinion. I want to know what people's favorite animes are, and I'm happy to go outside of my comfort zone as well.

Any thoughts? ^_^

I think you'll enjoy Hitori Bocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu

It's very heartwarming.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Calling Finn having nothing to do in Ep 9 "forced diversity" is weird

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Legend of Koizumi got real bad, I'm not surprised no one is translating the sequel

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

El Burbo posted:

The danger is that you might accidentally become super rich?

Maybe they meant "accidentally get your work plagiarized by a horrible person who becomes super rich"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Analysing the cowboy bebop intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbqGGd-caQM

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Sorry for starting this off. I was thinking that maybe some people reading this thread might have been at that con and therefore might want to take some precautions.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It's good if you like slice of life/romance with adults.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

now read the light novel

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Willo567 posted:

Has there ever been an artist who shat on their audience for not viewing their work in the same lens as them?

All the ones who draw scat

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/SakuraaChannel/status/1472367837616517126?s=20

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I like Awkward Zombie

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I appreciate that the artist clearly just makes comics for games she likes, instead of chasing the newest trends

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I don't really think stressing out about what is or isn't anime is a worthwhile use of anyone's time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think in adtrw we should use japan standard time

E:f,b