Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

One of the first proper anime I watched as a kid was Ergo Proxy. Made it about halfway through and got bored.

First anime I ever watched was Vampire Hunter D (which gave me sort of a skewed view of what anime was like for a little while).

The first proper series I watched was Slayers which immediately corrected that notion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The manga version of SuperS (which was recently adapted into the Eternal movies) is better than its 90’s counterpart but otherwise I generally prefer the original anime over Crystal (I also enjoyed the live action series despite it being so low budget in terms of effects/fights)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

Anyone who is against watching FMA of all things is absolutely not going to watch a youtube review of it

I’ll admit the dub has been tainted a bit in recent years thanks to Vic Mignogna voicing the lead character but it’s still a decent show overall (both of them honestly though Brotherhood feels a bit rushed during the beginning part)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I must have gotten super lucky because my vaccine didn't really get me at all. I had a bit of muscle pain and I was maybe a bit cranky at work, but that was about it.

Same here, though someone beforehand also recommended staying properly hydrated just before and just after the shot to reduce symptoms so either it worked or I just got really lucky both times (I got the Pfizer version if it matters)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 30, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of shows that have been going on forever, has there been any indication that the Detective Conan manga is reaching something resembling a conclusion?

Then again, the One Piece anime is close to 1000 at present.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 31, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Approaching 700? It's already over 1000.

Whoops my bad, must have been thinking of something else. Fixed

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And speaking of old shows, reminder that the Lupin III anime returns with Part 6 this October.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=B9_zlgRIsMg

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 31, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

He’s temporarily become a teenager again and his parents know about it

Is Ran still clueless even after all this time or did he finally come clean with her?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

Clearly the solution is that we need a sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising

I unironically want this (preferably with as much of the same voice cast from the previous one that they can get)

Also Viridi must return as a major character, this is nonnegotiable.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 1, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sounds like this one will be a bit more story based with few if any one-off episodes, not sure how I feel about that.

The Sherlock Holmes aspect sounds interesting though (curious how it’s going to work considering most Lupin shows take place in the same era they air in, maybe it’s a ghost or something).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Sounds like a similar structure to Parts 4 and 5.

Those still had a few oneshots in between though, the way the description reads it sounds like the show is split into two story arcs but we’ll see how it goes.

Sounds interesting at least and I’m always down for more Lupin content.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I assume the guy between Jigen and Goemon with the little girl is a new character exclusive to this season

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

dogsicle posted:

the non-TWCFM serial stuff in lupin has so far sucked, so yeah depending how far it goes in on that it likely ends up bad like 5

maybe different writers can handle it but idk. it's not a complex formula you really need to be reinventing but that seems to be a fixation

I’d honestly kind of like to see a season one day that’s more like the old days (just a bunch of random capers with little if any connecting story attached to it), that’s what Lupin seems to be best at in my opinion anyway (though I didn’t hate Part 5 as much as I was expecting to)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 1, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

frankly id be way more into them bringing back bolonco than bringing holmes in

Which season was Bolonco in again (based on the artstyle I’m guessing 2 or 3)?

And speaking of Lupin, is the side series A Woman Called Fujiko Mine any good?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 1, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

What service is it on?

Viz has it up for streaming on their website (both dub and sub), I think it might be on Hulu as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Canada, so Hulu is out. Guess I'll check Viz.

Uh, do you have a direct link? Because I'm not finding episodes, only short clips.

Huh, I know the whole series used to be up on their website but now I can’t find it. Unless someone else can provide a link it’s possible they took it down, sorry.

The series is also available on DVD so I guess you could potentially order it or something but otherwise that’s all the (legal) options I know about

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 2, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jigen’s VA is being replaced for the first time in 50 years:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/09/06/akio-otsuka-newly-voices-daisuke-jigen-in-lupin-the-third-part-6

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Beast Wars, was the Japan only anime adaption Beast Wars 2 any good?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

if you played it before and just want a refresher, its fine. if you havent played it before its not really a good way to experience the story tho

Yeah, it covers the main points plus the secret ending but otherwise feels kind of rushed and cuts out a lot of extra character interaction that helps flesh out their relationship with the lead a bit more.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

You mean the stuff they put in the rerelease, or just the big bonus boss?

No, just the main story plus the secret ending that you get from collecting all the secret reports. The extra A New Day segment from the remake (which is actually pretty important to the sequel) isn’t covered at all, neither are the events of Another Day.

Though to be fair in the case of the former, NEO recaps the main points of said extra episode pretty throughly so really all you get for knowing about it beforehand is a little extra context (like why Minamimoto is suddenly alive again in the sequel).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 8, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Memes aside, how was Zero Wing as a game? Just your standard shmup?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The World Ends With You anime is getting a dub. However, it appears that only one of the game VAs will be reprising their role for it:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-09-16/funimation-announces-the-world-ends-with-you-anime-english-dub-cast/.177434

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

weren't they able to get most of the cast back for kingdom hearts dream drop distance

Everybody except Rhyme, yeah

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

It’s probably a regional voice actor thing thing but tbh it doesn’t matter a huge amount, iirc they got everyone that appears in both back for the sequel and only like three characters sound the same cause it’s been so long (which mostly works in context but still).

Though even in the sequel Rhyme was still played by her DDD actress (in both English and Japanese for that matter), not sure what happened with her original VA (especially since said previous VA was still in the sequel playing Uzuki).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

This is such a weird thing to bother with. It's not like a second season is it?

No, it’s just an English dub of the TWEWY anime that aired a few months back as I said.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

So I just learned the Fairy Tail sequel manga is getting an anime. Now just to wait for an English dub, it has to happen.

I just hope this anime has an actual budget. I'm not fussy about animation quality - like when folks talk about the animation quality for Deku vs. Overhaul was better than the rest of the season, I didn't see any difference at all. But that final season of FT was a PowerPoint presentation. I've honestly never seen anything like it for a decently popular anime franchise.

So whatever the gently caress happened there I hope it doesn't happen again.

Wait, 100 Years Quest is getting an anime adaption? Where did you hear this and when is it supposed to start?

Edit: Found it, apparently we have no information beyond that though (and the trailer is just manga panels):

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-09-11/fairy-tail-100-years-quest-sequel-gets-tv-anime/.177275

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 23, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

What I’ve read of the manga seems pretty decent so far (it’s still ongoing) but yeah, I agree the last season of the anime was pretty dire animation wise so hopefully they step up their game a bit for this one.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wait, what’s this? Are they bringing back Symphogear or is this some kind of mobile game promotion?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

symphogear has had a mobile game for 5 years, this is announcing a collab event with the fate kaleid liner prisma ilya anime

Gotcha, is the mobile game any good then/available in English?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’ll take that as a no then, too bad. What’s the game itself like out of curiosity?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

The writings good but the gameplay is very boring.

Is it a new story following the last season of the anime, an AU, or something in between?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That sounds amazing honestly. What’s wrong with the gameplay portion?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Aurora posted:

but haha we'll just shift all our developers to sinoalice after shutting the game down after like 3 months of service byeeeeee 🤪

Ah, so they arbitrarily screwed over western players just like they did with Magia Record then. That sucks.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair point and I imagine Symphogear was in the same boat (all 5 seasons got an official subbed release but I’m not sure how successful it was in the west overall).

In fact, I believe the only magical girl series to ever really maintain a lasting presence in the west was Sailor Moon (and even then the final season was never localized until literally just a few years ago).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 27, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ardeem posted:

Yeah, I gave Madoka a little money to get my favorite character in the start dash, and again during the Nanoha event, but then just fatigued out. There might have been some optimal strategy to having enough time in the day to play both the events and the normal story, but I sure didn't figure it out before I lost the will to keep up.

In the case of Magia Record there’s also a pretty decent anime adaption now so you can get all of the plot (plus a little extra) with none of the extraneous crap attached.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Symphogear will likely never be dubbed for a variety of reasons (most notably due to the fact that the girls fight by singing) but there is an official subbed release of the whole series available if anyone is interested.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Symphogear and Precure would make for a pretty good Musou game though I'd want actual effort put into both

I probably should get around to playing Nanoha A's fighter especially since it has a translation patch

As was mentioned in a previous chat thread there was a Symphogear mobile game but the US version got shitcanned pretty quickly. Not sure if there were any other games based on the series and if any of them got brought over to the west though.

Also ironically enough more than half the show’s cast either already had or would eventually go on to play a major role in the Precure franchise (and yes, both franchises would make for great fighting and/or Musou games if done well)

But yes, Symphogear is a great show and should definitely be watched if you haven’t already.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Incidentally, what series is this forum’s background from and is said show/manga any good?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On the subject of Dragon Quest, is the Legend of Dai manga/currently running anime any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Yes. I haven't seen the new anime but the manga is a classic battle shonen that's far more influential on the genre than a lot of people talk about. I've only heard really good things about the new anime, the old anime has really limited animation and whack pacing since it was made in the 80s, and ends at the halfway point.

So in terms of the anime I assume it’s not worth checking out the first attempt and instead just diving straight into the new one then?

Also is it an original story or is it based on one of the games (and if the former do any familiar faces show up regardless)?