Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

General Battuta posted:

A story trailer for multiplayer that says 'hope' a bunch and is not good. (Just from a basic blocking perspective why would you visually set up the Scorpion and then not use it for anything?) Cynicism levels enhanced

Oh I guess they did say it and it was just so boring I missed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Arc Hammer posted:

The trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOthvD1rMbQ

So now I'm confused. Why were the Brutes attacking London during the battle for Earth if all their forces were converging on East Africa? Miranda says in 3 that Truth concentrated all his ground forces around Mombasa and just bombarded the rest of the planet. The flashback has gotta be in 2552 because the Brutes have overtaken the Elites on Earth. But then why are the Spartans in Mjolnir Mk 7 GEN3 when Mk7 wasn't in service outside of Naomi's testbed GEN1 suit.

How the hell does a civilian teenager in 2552 become a Spartan 4 by 2560 when the S4s only recruit volunteers from the military?

The lore nerd in me says this poo poo makes no sense but I'm overthinking it.

I'm pretty sure it's been retconned in a lot of the novelverse that the Covenant were invading multiple parts of Earth all at once. It doesn't really make sense OP lol.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
The simple answer is either that Miranda was misinformed or didn't mention minor attacks that the Covenant launched on Earth targets for small-scale tactical reasons or as feints.

RBA Starblade posted:

But like all of Bungie's faces based on people it came out wrong

See also: Dare

I never thought Dare's face looked that bad. Then again, Tricia Helfer is better looking than Ron Perlman, so flawed face creation might be less noticeable.

...There's no way to talk about this stuff without sounding incredibly goony.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I appreciate the hard work of all of the lower ranked, unheralded devs, artists, producers, testers and so forth who are trying their best, while mocking the absolutely poo poo handling of the franchise overall and this game in particular by the bosses.

I can't imagine that poo poo like 'uh, Cortana is evil now. And Chief is old news, we're all about LOCKE now. The books are now mandatory to have any idea what the hell is going on.' didn't come direct from people like O'Connor or Ross.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Hope? More like hopin there's no more delays lmao

I liked the trailer. Wasn't looking for much, but seeing the instructor's origin story is neat. Honestly the first thing that came to mind was how the Spartans are all heroic then you get into multiplayer and everyone is a shitlord

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shiroc posted:

I appreciate the hard work of all of the lower ranked, unheralded devs, artists, producers, testers and so forth who are trying their best, while mocking the absolutely poo poo handling of the franchise overall and this game in particular by the bosses.

I can't imagine that poo poo like 'uh, Cortana is evil now. And Chief is old news, we're all about LOCKE now. The books are now mandatory to have any idea what the hell is going on.' didn't come direct from people like O'Connor or Ross.

My feelings exactly.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
At any rate it will be interesting to see what people say about the development process years from now

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Agoat posted:

At any rate it will be interesting to see what people say about the development process years from now

i kinda wonder if it's going to be the same story as destiny 1: a lack of understanding of the impact of an open world on a campaign, and a quick salvage job after realizing that the story they wanted to tell would not cohere with game structure they've created. probably also sharing the destiny 1 issue of not having tools and processes up to the task of rapid iteration within an open world

otoh i imagine the campaign story itself won't be nearly as drastically overhauled as the destiny 1 situation, since i don't think they ever had a higher ambition than "tell another master chief story that more or less ties into the previous games and books." though i do think it'd be loving hilarious if, after having an experience with destiny where bungie/activision killed his entire plot because it wasn't what they wanted, staten went into microsoft with the mandate of "uh can you salvage this storyline at all"

if you aren't familiar with the destiny development story, it's a hell of a read: https://kotaku.com/the-messy-true-story-behind-the-making-of-destiny-1737556731

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 25, 2021

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Shiroc posted:

Trying to understand Forerunner poo poo as someone who's only read a few books is maddening. As someone who loved the Halo 3 terminals, they ruined everything.

Explain this: originally, Ur-Didact was put in a Cryptum to rest off his anti-human sentiment attached to the Domain. However, the few Forerunners left alive after the Forerunner-Flood War left the Milky Way after activating the Halos and noting Halos also destroyed the Domain. This means that Didact spent 100,000 years stewing in isolation and fury, fully conscious and pissed off, setting the stage for his attempted genocide of humanity in Halo 4.

Why did the IsoDidact not do something with Ur-Didact once they realized the Domain was ruined?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It was gigantically clueless of 343 to go into all the forerunner poo poo, when 100% of what made it work was that it was ultimately inscrutable. Why didn’t the forerunners just create a machine that could kill the flood instead of killing everything else? Why did their everything-killing machine contain flood? Why did their everything-killing machine contain a facsimile of a natural world, meticulously constructed down to the inclement weather? Why does the monitor think Master Chief fired Halo before?

The correct answer to all of the above is “who the gently caress knows, the cosmos is beyond our feeble comprehension, we’re just trying to survive.” ANY schema created after the fact to explain all this was always going to run up against the issue that none of it was intended to be explicable to begin with. It’s there to evoke awe at the futility of being ancient aliens, not to get worked out neatly in a bunch of spin off books.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm not sure which is worse, over explaining the evocative stuff in stupid ways like 343 Halo or the Half Life way of constantly presenting it as key to the situations but not actually explaining it. Bungie was good at dodging both.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

skasion posted:

The correct answer to all of the above is “who the gently caress knows, the cosmos is beyond our feeble comprehension, we’re just trying to survive.” ANY schema created after the fact to explain all this was always going to run up against the issue that none of it was intended to be explicable to begin with. It’s there to evoke awe at the futility of being ancient aliens, not to get worked out neatly in a bunch of spin off books.

Agreed. J.R.R. Tolkien once wrote:

quote:

Part of the attraction of The L[ord of the] R[ings] is, I think, due to the glimpses of a large history in the background: an attraction like that of viewing far off an unvisited island, or seeing the towers of a distant city gleaming in a sunlit mist. To go there is to destroy the magic, unless new unattainable vistas are again revealed.

343, by "going there", destroyed the Forerunners' magic, and didn't really create a new "vista" (Precursors aren't very interesting).

My proposal for what they should have done, if they were adamant on including Forerunner characters, is refrain from directly showing us their civilization at its height. Only show a few Forerunners in the aftermath of the Halo activation, with most of their knowledge and technology destroyed. Have them disagree on the events of the war, and a new generation of their children not knowing what to believe. Finally, show them either dying out or leaving the galaxy in a way that seeds the conflicts of the present day storyline.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Halo CE had an arcane quality to it that left the series after Halo 3 ended; I don't see how they can ever recapture that without doing a hard reboot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shiroc posted:

I'm not sure which is worse, over explaining the evocative stuff in stupid ways like 343 Halo or the Half Life way of constantly presenting it as key to the situations but not actually explaining it. Bungie was good at dodging both.

I did get a chuckle out of the Halo Anniversary terminals added into Halo 1 to explain what 343 was doing all that time that drove him crazy

Nothing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

William Bear posted:

My proposal for what they should have done, if they were adamant on including Forerunner characters, is refrain from directly showing us their civilization at its height. Only show a few Forerunners in the aftermath of the Halo activation, with most of their knowledge and technology destroyed. Have them disagree on the events of the war, and a new generation of their children not knowing what to believe. Finally, show them either dying out or leaving the galaxy in a way that seeds the conflicts of the present day storyline.

Yeah, that's solid.

My ideas for where the series could go:

1. Explore the dark side of the UNSC. Have a big human conflict. Some humans get super space fascist, the other humans ally up with the Elites and try to stop them. Chief has to fight to defend human civilians from the new generation of super spartans, who have abilities he doesn't. This could create something like the locke v chief conflict but with actual loving motivation and stakes. Halo: Civil War.

2. A new threat appears. Maybe a wormhole opens up to the other side of the universe and some new life form starts invading and conquering worlds. Its only a few systems over from Earth. Chief spearheads the effort to push back, having to conquer his way through worlds that were once controlled by humans or covenant but now are held by this new enemy. He reaches the wormhole, goes through, fights them on their home world (which has radically different style) and manages to deactivate the artificial wormhole generator technology, ending the war. But by doing so is left on the other side.

What is the new threat? Well, create some new alien species (not lovely like the Prometheans). My thought would be to make them like the Alien Xenomorphs, ultimate biological evolutionary killing machines. Make them the species that conquered all other life in their home galaxy and they're now starved for worlds to conquer. You could even make it wild and have them be effectively evolved flood. Maybe this other galaxy had an outbreak of flood, and the flood won. This is a flood which has subsumed all life in its galaxy, and is trying to spread further. The infection opens back up into the milky way unless Chief can cut off their ability to travel.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, that's solid.

My ideas for where the series could go:

What is the new threat? Well, create some new alien species (not lovely like the Prometheans). My thought would be to make them like the Alien Xenomorphs, ultimate biological evolutionary killing machines. Make them the species that conquered all other life in their home galaxy and they're now starved for worlds to conquer. You could even make it wild and have them be effectively evolved flood. Maybe this other galaxy had an outbreak of flood, and the flood won. This is a flood which has subsumed all life in its galaxy, and is trying to spread further. The infection opens back up into the milky way unless Chief can cut off their ability to travel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAucoTB3QUM&t=136s

That reminds me, I kinda want a Halo fleet rts or something

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Infinite: we have bots now. Several people care about this and I'm one of them.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I've always thought that after the teaser at the end of Halo 3's legendary ending, Chief could have woken up either:

-in the distant future, making him a stranger in a strange land struggling to come to terms with the loss of everything he knew and trying to piece together the mystery of what happened to the Humans and the Elites, etc. New enemies (or old ones now after thousands of years of evolution from anything familiar), new weapons, new landscape.

-in the distant past, making him a stranger in a strange land struggling to come to terms with the loss of everything he knew and trying to understand how the world he now inhabits relates to/becomes the one he knows (perhaps a paradox or potential for one is involved, also presumably filled with actually-interesting Forerunner or Forerunner adjacent allies/enemies) New weapons, new landscape.

Because the series started with a big, civilization ending conflict and wrapped it up by the third game any further entries were going to have to work hard to avoid or at least mitigate the tacked on after-the-fact feeling that most such sequels have.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So do we get playable Elites again? That was fun in 3 and its garbage they never brought it forward.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Its funny how pretty much all of the creative problems in 343 Halo are exactly the same ones that Star Wars ran into shortly later. A lack of confidence in breaking away from what the franchise was under the old people while changing just enough to make it really stupid and subsequently make the old stories worse.

The struggles with the multiplayer seem to be the opposite. 343 seems to have been convinced that nobody wanted the old Halo arena style anymore and kept trying to change it up.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Tighclops posted:

I've always thought that after the teaser at the end of Halo 3's legendary ending, Chief could have woken up either:

-in the distant future, making him a stranger in a strange land struggling to come to terms with the loss of everything he knew and trying to piece together the mystery of what happened to the Humans and the Elites, etc. New enemies (or old ones now after thousands of years of evolution from anything familiar), new weapons, new landscape.

-in the distant past, making him a stranger in a strange land struggling to come to terms with the loss of everything he knew and trying to understand how the world he now inhabits relates to/becomes the one he knows (perhaps a paradox or potential for one is involved, also presumably filled with actually-interesting Forerunner or Forerunner adjacent allies/enemies) New weapons, new landscape.

Because the series started with a big, civilization ending conflict and wrapped it up by the third game any further entries were going to have to work hard to avoid or at least mitigate the tacked on after-the-fact feeling that most such sequels have.

I would have gone for the far future one since it spares you having to overexplain the backstory and because the Chief is pretty much an ideal king under the mountain type hero in the first place. But the common factor between these two is “new weapons, new landscape” and that’s why they didn’t do them. They basically didn’t have confidence in their ability to reinvent the wheel (with good reason) and so instead they built a weird shaped lovely wheel and then when people complained, built another even weirder and shittier one.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

RBA Starblade posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAucoTB3QUM&t=136s

That reminds me, I kinda want a Halo fleet rts or something

Closest you'll get
https://www.moddb.com/mods/halo-sins-of-the-prophets

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

It's very good but VERY hard vs AI.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Zore posted:

So do we get playable Elites again? That was fun in 3 and its garbage they never brought it forward.

Didn't the elites have a comically large head hitbox?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Great Beer posted:

Didn't the elites have a comically large head hitbox?

Oh yeah, playing as them in a serious competition was stupid.

But it was fun and Halo was made to gently caress around with your friends playing dumb rules multiplayer maps :colbert:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Action sack supremacy

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

General Battuta posted:

It's very good but VERY hard vs AI.

I've never actually played it lol, been waiting for the big new update.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I just noticed that the new Halo Xbox X they announced, with a download copy of Infinite comes out on 11/15. The game was absolutely supposed to come out on that day and they've pushed it back two weeks in a desperate attempt to get it ready to go.

That dev team is going to be having a horrible next few months.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Edit.

Never mind.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Shiroc posted:

I just noticed that the new Halo Xbox X they announced, with a download copy of Infinite comes out on 11/15. The game was absolutely supposed to come out on that day and they've pushed it back two weeks in a desperate attempt to get it ready to go.

I've said it before but Dec 8th was one of the last days they could hit for a 2021 release (because of the 20th anniversary)

So the idea is, push out the game on the 8th,you've got a week or two for hot fixes for critical issues that come up then dev team vacations (even if only for a week or two)

December does feel late, like they would have wanted late October or November.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shiroc posted:

Yeah that along with pushing off co-op campaign and forge really speaks volumes about the state of the game. They're crunching hard and behind schedule.

This is starting to have Cyberpunk 2077 vibes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol after the nothings that were the guilty spark terminals, Keyes' is pretty hosed up!

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol after the nothings that were the guilty spark terminals, Keyes' is pretty hosed up!

If you thought 343's terminals were bad, wait until you witness the ones from the SPV3 mod.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Agoat posted:

If you thought 343's terminals were bad, wait until you witness the ones from the SPV3 mod.

I don't even think they're bad, it's just really funny that 343's are a shaggy dog story about nothing happening to him

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been monitoring things for 8000 years, 2401 Penitent Tangent sent me a spam email once and then went quiet. I'm bored now, let's blow up part of the Ring for fun. What's another 92000 years anyhow?

I did like the one terminal for Spark on Truth and Reconciliation where he's arguing with the Covenant AI that knows about the Flood infestation and wants the Covenant to die as a final gently caress you for creating it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So interesting enough. At launch there won't be xp for battle passes for completing matches. The only xp you get will be for challenges.

This doesn't sound good.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

How you get the xp matters less than the progression rate. If it's like the MCC progression it will be fine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ineffiable posted:

So interesting enough. At launch there won't be xp for battle passes for completing matches. The only xp you get will be for challenges.

This doesn't sound good.

That's how it worked in the test flight too

I have a feeling nothing's changing from that test so if so, we're getting $9 helmets and skins. Hopefully the performance improves

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 27, 2021

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

LOL, managed to finally get a preorder in on a XSX, and it turns out it was the Halo edition.
I guess I will look at it in November and think back to when Halo was better...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Cross posting my only halo meme.